gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:38:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AV Club primer on the Beach Boys  (Read 5371 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »

This article was all over the place. It probably would've been best to stick chronologically. The author lost me when he dismissed the early records as "simple and shallow". Um....no. More like life-altering greatness for me and millions of others.

....and this article contains what may be the very first public praise for "Looking Back With Love". Seriously. This guy thinks the album is charming!

..although I agree with him on Brian's 1988 album. For my money, it's still Brian's best.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »

This article was all over the place. It probably would've been best to stick chronologically. The author lost me when he dismissed the early records as "simple and shallow". Um....no. More like life-altering greatness for me and millions of others.

....and this article contains what may be the very first public praise for "Looking Back With Love". Seriously. This guy thinks the album is charming!

..although I agree with him on Brian's 1988 album. For my money, it's still Brian's best.

Hey, AGD publicly praised Looking Back With Love in his book! And for the record, there's a few decent songs on there. I'd buy a CD reissue. Along with the Almost Summer soundtrack and the Celebration self-titled album. All Mike's solo-ish, non-promotional tie-in (NASCAR album, Summertime Cruisin', Mike & Dean albums) stuff right there. And it really does at least deserve to be on iTunes and available on CD. But I suppose a lot of the blame lays with Mike there. If he wanted this stuff more widely available, I suspect it would be.

Also agree that the '88 album Brian's best as of yet. However, I really do think there is a chance this new album really could be something special. I don't know why, but I feel it. It's definitely the longest he's worked on an album since his solo debut.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:57:01 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx