gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:35:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AV Club primer on the Beach Boys  (Read 5352 times)
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:39:39 AM »

http://www.avclub.com/article/beginners-guide-sweet-stinging-nostalgia-beach-boy-210390

It's not too bad. And fun to see.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:09:47 AM »

Pretty good article although I find it kinda odd they ignored KTSA when it does have some nice songs.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

Pretty good article although I find it kinda odd they ignored KTSA when it does have some nice songs.

I think fans are fooling themselves thinking that anything post-Love You is really any good.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »

I think fans are fooling themselves thinking that anything post-Love You is really any good.

There are neat little songs here and there scattered across MIU, Light Album, KTSA and BB85 for the bigtime Beach Boys fan to discover - like I did. And then there's TWGMTR, which is great.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Although I like plenty of songs Post-Love you I must say I really do agree with you overall
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »

"From There To Back Again/Pacific Coast Highway/Summer's Gone"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »

"From There To Back Again/Pacific Coast Highway/Summer's Gone"
*AGD smokes cigar and pours a fine mixed drink*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »

Apart from PCH/Summer's Gone, etc.,  I also really like "Baby Blue."
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »

Apart from PCH/Summer's Gone, etc.,  I also really like "Baby Blue."

EXACTLY. That's my favorite Dennis song. Plus there's 'Good Timin'', 'Goin' On', 'Where I Belong', 'Kokomo' (yes I've warmed up to it, finally)....

Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »

Try reading that article and searching for a mention of Al Jardine among sentences like:

'In the band’s early days, Brian Wilson and his brothers Dennis and Carl—joined by their cousin Mike Love, and pushed by their father Murry—capitalized on the surfing craze in Southern California,'

and

'The other Beach Boys had mixed feelings about the new arrangement. Mike Love saw the publicity upside in having Brian back in the fold, working a new album, striking while The Beach Boys were a hot commodity. Carl and Dennis weren’t as keen on ceding so much of the creative control they’d had in the early ’70s back to Brian—especially given Brian didn’t seem all that interested in making a proper Beach Boys album, preferring instead to record a set of corny, off-the-cuff rock and pop covers.'

And so on.  Readers taking Beach Boys 101 must be wondering who the short blond gatecrasher is in all the video clips.

(He finally get one mention right at the end, when the C50 is discussed.  Ricky and Blondie are referenced more than him.)

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:03 PM »

We like what we like

I could pick 10-15 post love you songs I would consider to be brilliant, "sunshine being one of them"

Yes, you heard me

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:11:06 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Double post

This place is a nightmare on an iPhone
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:11:36 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »

We like what we like

I could pick 10-15 post love you songs I would consider to be brilliant, "sunshine being one of them"

Yes, you heard me

Undecided Not crazy about 'Sunshine'.

How about 'Livin' With A Heartache' or 'Oh Darlin''?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »

This article is all over the place. I'd be super confused if this was my first serious introduction to The Beach Boys catalog.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »

Santa Ana Winds.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »

We like what we like

Yes, you heard me
Affirmative. If I say "Strange Things Happen" is good, that's because I genuinely like it. It isn't said out of support or pity or simply because I force my ears love everything by my favorite band. It's a daft logic. And yes, "Sunshine" is one of the best late-BBs era songs. Nice taste, Shady!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 01:05:06 AM »

This article is all over the place. I'd be super confused if this was my first serious introduction to The Beach Boys catalog.

Exactly - linear it ain't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 01:33:19 AM »

...No pre-Pet Sounds album in the "essentials"? Way to ignore what brought them in the spotlight in the first place. I'm tired of these articles that only focus on the 1966-1977 era.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 03:16:57 AM »

I'd actually suggest that it would be easier to introduce someone to The Beach Boys with the Light Album than with anything halfway connected to Love You. It is a completely messed up album that even with years on years of obsession with the band I can't quite bring myself to suggest that it is not an extremely embarrassing bit of work. It is bordering on severely perverse with I Wanna Pick You Up/Roller Skating Child and is with the exception of The Night Was So Young impossible to show to a non-Beach Boys obsessive without permanently damaging a relationship. I mean, I like the damn thing but I'm not sure if this is because by the time I heard it I had built up a long term love of everything connected with Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys. I like and am intrigued by Knocked Out Loaded too but I still wouldn't give it to someone over Blonde on Blonde. I have a soft spot for New Power Soul but I wouldn't recommend it over Sign 'O' The Times (or almost any other album he ever did).

I think this is a big problem with people who have been with this music for as long as most of the people here have. There are things worth listening to past the point when the band dropped out of critical favour but damn it I have listened to sessions of complete rubbish because I needed to fill in those last gaps in my knowledge. When you get to that stage almost everything is worth hearing. There are some nice things here and there - or really things that are less disappointing than they could have been - but for a new fan there is nothing at all worthwhile that wasn't done better in the 60s and early to mid 70s. Spending any thought whatsoever on Keeping the Summer Alive when the person hasn't heard Today or Summer Days and Summer Nights is a foolish exercise. Overlooked by the general listening public and overlooked by life long fans is an entirely different thing. Some of the things done by The Beach Boys in later years are so utterly devoid of artistry or credibility that even acknowledging their existence is a block against someone seeing why they were at one time considered one of the best bands in the world.  

I imagine it is a similar thing to someone giving me a copy of Mike Love Not War and recommending it. Yeah I've done Adult/Child, M.I.U., Summer in Paradise and the rest but even I would have a hard time working up a sufficient fetish sweat to spend time with it . I would also make a note never to pay attention to any recommendation that person gave to me again. The Beach Boys did fifteen albums in the 60s alone, not including live recordings. FIFTEEN. How many regular human beings have heard Friends, or Wild Honey or Smiley Smile or 20/20 or Party, or Today? These are genuinely brilliant, overlooked albums. More people need to hear them. To bring new fans on board and help educate folks, put the strongest, most credible material up front always. Include overlooked (by regular normal people, not hardcore obsessives) classics for sure but please leave the quirky, barely coherent favourites in the closet.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:21:15 AM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »

This thread beat me to it, was just going to post this link in the forum.

I think the article is pretty damn spot on for understanding things from a novice standpoint; which is the point of it in the first place.

I'm a Brian Wilson devotee that doesn't really think too much of Mike Love BUT...I'm willing to acknowledge his contribution as Wilson matured as an artist.  I listen to ENDLESS SUMMER regularly and love every track.  I'm not ashamed of those car songs.  Although there are songs deep on those early albums that produce notable douche chills.

My personal journey through Wilson/Beach Boys fandom start at a young age in the late 70's and early 80's.  In the car with my parents, like many of us...listening to the afore mentioned ENDLESS SUMMER.  Later in my late teens and early 20's (during the mid 1990's) discovering that there was much more to the Beach Boys than what I knew.  I had already gone through my Phil Spector phase at that point so learning that Brian Wilson had been influenced by Spector led me to PET SOUNDS and the rest is why I'm here typing this.

Mind. blown.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »

I agree with all the post "Love You" tracks suggested and would add things like, "Lahina Aloha" and "She Believes in Love Again".
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »

Well...for one thing I agree with Holland being positioned as one gateway into discovering the guys along with Pet Sounds.  It was cutting-edge in its time and had Blondie and Ricky stayed in the group and come up with more material like Leaving This Town, and had Carl been able to follow up the direction pointed in Steamboat and The Trader, had Al been able to puruse the California Saga direction....and if other groups and solo acts had taken up that example....well, maybe that would have made for a musical revolution that would have rendered punk unncessary.  You could write a whole alternate musical history about what would have gone down had Endless Summer never seen release.

Plus, Mt Vernon and Fairway constitutes, in some ways, the blueprint for Love You....in terms of instrumental arrangements anyway.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »

I'm listening to Beach Boys '85 as I type, and dammit, here's what I LOVE:

Getcha Back
Crack at your Love
California Calling
I'm So Lonely
It's Just a Matter of Time
Male Ego

I genuinely think those songs are all pretty terrific.  Male Ego really is some kind of crazy masterpiece, I think.  It's weird, I used to be turned off by the crazy 80s production values, but now I see that as one of this album's strengths.  If I were making the ultimate Beach Boys mix that spanned their ENTIRE CAREER, I'd be picking at least a handful of songs from each of the post 76 albums. (ok maybe not SiP)  

And yeah, Lahaina Aloha is fan-fucking-tastic.

(cool article!)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »

I'm listening to Beach Boys '85 as I type, and dammit, here's what I LOVE:

Getcha Back
Crack at your Love
California Calling
I'm So Lonely
It's Just a Matter of Time
Male Ego

I genuinely think those songs are all pretty terrific.  Male Ego really is some kind of crazy masterpiece, I think.  It's weird, I used to be turned off by the crazy 80s production values, but now I see that as one of this album's strengths.  If I were making the ultimate Beach Boys mix that spanned their ENTIRE CAREER, I'd be picking at least a handful of songs from each of the post 76 albums. (ok maybe not SiP) 

And yeah, Lahaina Aloha is fan-fucking-tastic.

(cool article!)

For me, Beach Boys '85 has only five songs that I like:

'It's Gettin' Late'
'Maybe I Don't Know'
'I'm So Lonely'
'It's Just a Matter of Time'
'Where I Belong'

Glad we agree on those two Brian songs (apart from 'Male Ego') since so many other people hate them. Smiley

And yeah, I'm thinking of making a Beach Boys mix that would include a lot of post Love You stuff that I like. I'm gonna call it Underrated Beach Boys or something like that. Goodies that I dig from MIU, Light Album, KTSA, BB85. I still don't like Still Cruisin' or SIP though.

Sorry to get off-topic.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »

To bring new fans on board and help educate folks, put the strongest, most credible material up front always. Include overlooked (by regular normal people, not hardcore obsessives) classics for sure but please leave the quirky, barely coherent favourites in the closet.
I like your style.  Love You is as good as anything they've done . But, I agree that it shouldn't be pushed on new converts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:01:00 PM by Ted Danson » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx