gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 11:46:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Damn, I miss it being C50  (Read 35229 times)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »

Keep in mind that Mike was the one who suggested swapping out songs. I think we're making too much out of this.

Hell, even for all of the supposed resistance Mike had to Al wanting to add "Our Prayer", they still did it a few times.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »

It may be that Marcella was genuinely a big issue on tour (perhaps some of the insiders could elaborate) but it doesn`t seem like a huge thing in the article. `What are we going to drop? Maybe we can rotate some songs`. Not the most dramatic or newsworthy debate really. And then both Marcella and Add Some Music were added anyway along with other songs...

I think the exchange regarding “Marcella” was interesting not because it portrayed some huge issue or concern, but rather because Mike’s reaction was one of puzzlement or, arguably, very mild resistance. It was simply a reminder that these guys hadn’t worked together in ages and in all those intervening years, had developed disparate ways of looking at things and doing things. It doesn’t mean Mike is resistant to “rarities” in the setlist. I think he just has everything to do with the BB’s already set in his mind a certain way. He knows what he thinks are the “classics”, and he’ll add off-kilter, non-hit stuff based on his own criteria. He’ll maybe do “Betsy” because Scott Totten likes it (and maybe Mike likes the song because it’s an older one). He’ll do “Goin’ to the Beach” because it was brought to this attention on the boxed set, and it’s a simple song about the beach or whatever. He’ll do “All This is That” because of the TM connection and whatnot.

But if someone else suggests a song that hasn’t probably often sprung to Mike’s mind in literally decades, his brain will process that differently because its suggestion is based on someone else’s motivations or ideas. Again, all back to not being used to the live show being a collaborative process in any way where he isn’t final arbiter. Again, I’m sure Totten and others have suggested tracks on tour with Mike’s band. Mike then says yay or nay.

It probably is a bit like a manager mentality, where the manager will more easily approve something if it is his or her idea.

Al’s recent interview likening it to a divorced couple being put back together is perhaps apt to some degree. You have to all of a sudden account for what the other person likes or dislikes, and you have to compromise. The other person has also developed some new or different attitudes during the years you’ve been divorced, making it more awkward. C50 Brian wasn’t like the 80’s/90’s Brian who just sat in occasionally, played some keyboards, and sang the opening lines to “Sloop John B” and bridge to “Surfer Girl.”

C50 was a compromise all around. As the scheduled dates neared the end, I think those both willing and unwilling to continue spoke to who was willing to continue to compromise and who doesn’t enjoy compromising.

I think another point to note. Sure, Mike's group has upped its game with its rarities but its unlikely their groups ever went to the others shows to judge the reaction some of these songs got or how they were performed. WE did. Marcella has been a well received staple of Brian's for years but Mike may not have had a clue.

This brings up an interesting question... have Brian, Al, or Dave ever attended an M&B show as just a backstage or audience attendee (without joining in to perform live onstage), and have Mike or Bruce ever attended a Brian show as just a backstage or audience attendee (without joining in to perform live onstage)?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

I very much doubt it. Jon's book made mention I think of Dave meeting up with the group before it was M&B but I could be wrong.

Nicko1234
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »

One story of Brian suggesting “Marcella”, and the C50 band being comprised mostly of Brian’s touring band does not mean Brian was “running” the C50 tour or “in control.” Mike got over half of his band into the C50 band too (four out of seven, five out of seven if you want to count Bonhomme being on the road crew). The proportionately larger number of Brian’s band has as much to do with Mike having a smaller, leaner band to pull from in the first place.

Hmmm...

Mike
Bruce
john Cowsill
Scott Totten
And BonHomme as tour manager. That makes five. And Christian was part of the opening act on a few dates making six.

Ah, Tim Bonhomme managed the whole tour. That I was not aware of...  Wink

Mike obviously had 2 guys from his backing band. But the structure of the band was made up like Brian`s which is rather more important as Mike has intimated in interviews (and no, I`m not saying I would have preferred a smaller band).

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

One story of Brian suggesting “Marcella”, and the C50 band being comprised mostly of Brian’s touring band does not mean Brian was “running” the C50 tour or “in control.” Mike got over half of his band into the C50 band too (four out of seven, five out of seven if you want to count Bonhomme being on the road crew). The proportionately larger number of Brian’s band has as much to do with Mike having a smaller, leaner band to pull from in the first place.

Hmmm...

Mike
Bruce
john Cowsill
Scott Totten
And BonHomme as tour manager. That makes five. And Christian was part of the opening act on a few dates making six.

Mike obviously had 2 guys from his backing band. But the structure of the band was made up like Brian`s which is rather more important as Mike has intimated in interviews (and no, I`m not saying I would have preferred a smaller band).

Tim was the road manager, not the tour manager!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »

Hmmm...

Mike
Bruce
john Cowsill
Scott Totten

This.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »

Hmmm...

Mike
Bruce
john Cowsill
Scott Totten

Ah, Tim Bonhomme managed the whole tour. That I was not aware of...  Wink

I would actually guess Mike's issues weren't with the fact it was *Brian's* band, but rather, simply put, the overhead cost of that many musicians. That's what, in my opinion, made the later comments about too many voices/musicians competing for parts rather disingenuous. At least his written statement about the overhead cost being too high to play smaller venues was at least closer to sounding plausible (if utterly asinine, again in my opinion). I was disappointed when Mike's surprisingly upbeat and praising comments about Brian's band at the beginning of the tour changed into faint praise mixed with criticism over the cost and/or size of the band.

But I was simply refuting the idea that Brian was "in charge" of or "running" the tour. That's the only reason Mike getting over half of his band into the C50 band was even brought up. Mike also got one of his guys as co-musical director (and, moment to moment, Totten seemed to be leading the band more than Mertens was).

It also struck me, at the beginning of the tour anyway, that perhaps Mike wasn't "letting" Brian bring most of his band simply as a political concession, but perhaps was also signing off on the larger band so that the tour could play a more diverse set. There's no question that Brian's band could knock out a more diverse selection of material. I don't think Mike's band could whip out "Pet Sounds" with one day or a few day's notice.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:06:22 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

Keep in mind that Mike was the one who suggested swapping out songs. I think we're making too much out of this.

Hell, even for all of the supposed resistance Mike had to Al wanting to add "Our Prayer", they still did it a few times.

I don't think anyone is trying to suggest Mike didn't allow for a pretty diverse set list. The 61-song selection they worked from is proof of that.

Rather, the "Marcella" story only speaks to a possible interpersonal mechanism by which songs were added to the set list. Mike didn't seem to greet "Marcella" with open arms (no pun intended!). Much like many cases over the years, it was met with a slightly possibly begrudging willingness or acceptance. It reminds me of Mike's comments in Carlin's book about working on the Paley material in the 90's. He mentioned that he/they were willing, but he wasn't sure how eager.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »

Again I'm not sure that is the context of the RS story. Mike yells when Marcella is suggested. So what? It may have more to do with the fact Brian is suggesting a song rather than the song itself. I'm reading the situation more a casual meal with a few drinks and some kidding around.

I think things broke down for more powerful reasons than a song or two being suggested for the setlist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »

Again I'm not sure that is the context of the RS story. Mike yells when Marcella is suggested. So what? It may have more to do with the fact Brian is suggesting a song rather than the song itself. I'm reading the situation more a casual meal with a few drinks and some kidding around.

I think things broke down for more powerful reasons than a song or two being suggested for the setlist.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the tour broke down because of a set list controversy. The "Marcella" story (or anything of that nature) isn't a cause of anything, but only perhaps a potential symptom of some of what could have been the downfall of the reunion. It sounds like a slightly awkward back and forth with Mike. Polite, perhaps even good-natured, but tinged with a bit of awkwardness. It's likely very low on the list, but I would imagine this would be among the many types of conversations concerning a tour that Mike would rather *not* have.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »

FWIW. Mike looking a bit unsure on what I think was the first time Marcella was on the set. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g34uojCvqk
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx