gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:57:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Questions  (Read 13074 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »

The Harmony was repossessed in summer 1981 when Dennis repeatedly failed to keep up with the payments.

My source for the 1980 date: "Death of a Beach Boy" February 24, 1984 issue of People magazine.  

Gaines: December 28, 1983. Dennis called manager Bob Levine to make conditional plans for a 30-day detox program with the hope that he could get help with financing to buy the Harmony back.

Said article also states the following:

"After the funeral service, the band gathered at co-manager Tom Hulett's house. "We were sort of having a wake," says Love. A nondrinking vegetarian, Love nevertheless showed up with four bottles of the most expensive champagne he could find. "Dennis would have wanted it this way," he said."

Touching gesture from Mike, huh ? Problem is, it never happened. My source: Mike Love at Epsom this year, in conversation.

When an article doesn't just paraphrase or cite anonymous sources, but presents a direct quotation attributed to a specific person, and does so in an article relatively contemporary to the event in question (in this case just a couple months after Dennis' death), I find it much more difficult (though of course never impossible) to believe they just pulled that quote out of their ass. Being a relatively high profile piece, I would think something would have been said by Mike or other band members if People Magazine had written a story fabricating quotes from band members.

The band members (all of them, not just Brian) have been known to be forgetful and selective and try to re-spin things. I can't ascribe a precise percentage to which side of this story I believe more. But I'm not prepared, when presented with a direct quote from a publication, to 100% dismiss it because someone says 30 years later it never happened.

Even when that "someone" is the person alleged to have said and done what the article claims ? Need I point out that for Mike to deny that any such thing happened more than somewhat upsets the notion that he's all about making himself look better at any cost ? The other alternative, of course, is that I simply made up what I claimed I was told.

Presuming you didn't make it up, it falls back to Mike. Its seems very inconsequential an issue either way to be re-addressing it some 30 years after the fact.
It does make one wonder why no-one in the BBs organization questioned the People mag quote at the time ( at the very least, there was no public mention of a problem, if they did bring it back to People)    

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »

The Harmony was repossessed in summer 1981 when Dennis repeatedly failed to keep up with the payments.

My source for the 1980 date: "Death of a Beach Boy" February 24, 1984 issue of People magazine.  

Gaines: December 28, 1983. Dennis called manager Bob Levine to make conditional plans for a 30-day detox program with the hope that he could get help with financing to buy the Harmony back.

Said article also states the following:

"After the funeral service, the band gathered at co-manager Tom Hulett's house. "We were sort of having a wake," says Love. A nondrinking vegetarian, Love nevertheless showed up with four bottles of the most expensive champagne he could find. "Dennis would have wanted it this way," he said."

Touching gesture from Mike, huh ? Problem is, it never happened. My source: Mike Love at Epsom this year, in conversation.

When an article doesn't just paraphrase or cite anonymous sources, but presents a direct quotation attributed to a specific person, and does so in an article relatively contemporary to the event in question (in this case just a couple months after Dennis' death), I find it much more difficult (though of course never impossible) to believe they just pulled that quote out of their ass. Being a relatively high profile piece, I would think something would have been said by Mike or other band members if People Magazine had written a story fabricating quotes from band members.

The band members (all of them, not just Brian) have been known to be forgetful and selective and try to re-spin things. I can't ascribe a precise percentage to which side of this story I believe more. But I'm not prepared, when presented with a direct quote from a publication, to 100% dismiss it because someone says 30 years later it never happened.

Even when that "someone" is the person alleged to have said and done what the article claims ?

I've posted this elsewhere but here is a video in which Paul McCartney talks about one of his favourite songs, The Coasters' Searchin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6kmDI-mw-Q

He talks in this video about how it was a song that The Beatles used to play at the Cavern, how it was frequently requested and how John would sing lead and he and George would sing back up.

Trouble is: John didn't sing lead, Paul himself did. And he did it regularly - this song was a regular in The Beatles setlist. One of the few setlists available from the pre-recording days has Searchin' on it, and The Beatles performed it during their failed audition at Decca. We have a record of this - we KNOW that 1982 Paul is wrong. This isn't just about some quote. He is legitimately not correctly remembering that he regularly sang the lead part of a song 20 years earlier.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »

You know that by 1982, Paul had smoked roughly a metric ton of weed ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »

I'm confused… so Mike didn't lug bubbly to Dennis's wake because Macca smoked weed years after forgetting he sang Searchin' in the Cavern?

Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »

By Jove, I think he's got it...  Grin

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »

I'm confused… so Mike didn't lug bubbly to Dennis's wake because Macca smoked weed years after forgetting he sang Searchin' in the Cavern?

Wink

I had nothing to do with it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »

Folks don't have any problem dismissing Brian's current recollections if they're contradicted by contemporaneous interviews. I think the People article is far more likely to be correct than Mike's decades-old recollection.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »

People Magazine didn't make it clear if they were talking to Mike or Steve Love.

quotes straight from the official transcript here
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0%2C%2C20189414%2C00.html (matches the scan http://archive.people.com/people/archive/jpgs/19840116/19840116-750-28.jpg)

Steve Love, Beach Boys manager during most of the '70s, says Dennis' alimony and child support payments, as well as outrageous "extravagances"—fancy cars, diamonds and furs for girlfriends—ate up an income that sometimes hit $600,000 annually. "It's hard to imagine," says Love, "that anyone could just blow so much money, but Dennis did. He was totally unrestrained and undisciplined; he was foolishly, self-destructively generous."
goes back to quotes purely credited to Love after comments from the writer, but doesn't actually say they're (now) talking to Mike.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »

People Magazine didn't make it clear if they were talking to Mike or Steve Love.

quotes straight from the official transcript here
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0%2C%2C20189414%2C00.html (matches the scan http://archive.people.com/people/archive/jpgs/19840116/19840116-750-28.jpg)

Steve Love, Beach Boys manager during most of the '70s, says Dennis' alimony and child support payments, as well as outrageous "extravagances"—fancy cars, diamonds and furs for girlfriends—ate up an income that sometimes hit $600,000 annually. "It's hard to imagine," says Love, "that anyone could just blow so much money, but Dennis did. He was totally unrestrained and undisciplined; he was foolishly, self-destructively generous."
goes back to quotes purely credited to Love after comments from the writer, but doesn't actually say they're (now) talking to Mike.

Because they're not - for one thing Mike would have no idea of either Dennis' income or how he spent it.

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »

Because they're not - for one thing Mike would have no idea of either Dennis' income or how he spent it.

er, what I was trying to say (Autistic spectrum related communication difficulties getting in the way Angry Embarrassed) is the article doesn't actually say it's Mike who's providing this quote.

"After the funeral service, the band gathered at co-manager Tom Hulett's house. "We were sort of having a wake," says Love. A nondrinking vegetarian, Love nevertheless showed up with four bottles of the most expensive champagne he could find. "Dennis would have wanted it this way," he said.".

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »

"The band". That is, the surviving Beach Boys. How many people with the surname Love are there in The Beach Boys ? Christ on a tandem, I know I can be willfully obtuse at times but compared to some posters here, I'm strictly minor league. Here's the complete final paragraph from the People article:

"After the funeral service, the band gathered at co-manager Tom Hulett's house. "We were sort of having a wake," says Love. A nondrinking vegetarian, Love nevertheless showed up with four bottles of the most expensive champagne he could find. "Dennis would have wanted it this way," he said. Mike and Brian shot some basketball. "I told Brian I thought the best thing we could do was write a song for Dennis," Love adds. "We didn't work on it that night. We just talked and toasted Dennis and the New Year. We were all so much a part of each other that I'm sure we'll miss him every single day the rest of our lives. There's no way we'll not miss him."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:30:57 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »

"The band". That is, the surviving Beach Boys. How many people with the surname Love are there in The Beach Boys ? Christ on a tandem, I know I can be willfully obtuse at times but compared to some posters here, I'm strictly minor league. Here's the complete final paragraph from the People article:

"After the funeral service, the band gathered at co-manager Tom Hulett's house. "We were sort of having a wake," says Love. A nondrinking vegetarian, Love nevertheless showed up with four bottles of the most expensive champagne he could find. "Dennis would have wanted it this way," he said. Mike and Brian shot some basketball. "I told Brian I thought the best thing we could do was write a song for Dennis," Love adds. "We didn't work on it that night. We just talked and toasted Dennis and the New Year. We were all so much a part of each other that I'm sure we'll miss him every single day the rest of our lives. There's no way we'll not miss him."

I've gotten drunk on Mike Love's champagne.  It was goooooooooood.  Say what you will but the man knows his champagne.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Were you actually kicking it with Mike Love or just drinking his bubbles?

No mas, por favor.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »

I don't care if it happened or if it didn't happen. I just want Mike to know that "It's OK" to drink champagne--just as long as he's not drinking it from that dangerous little jug of his!!!  Evil
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 11:28:59 PM »

Andrew, while we're at it, since it seems like you cover a wide range of topics with Mike, are you planning on sharing some kind of interview transcript, or was it just an informal, off the cuff exchange. Cuz I remember you saying you were going to interview Mike a fan months ago, but maybe I mistook that for you simply saying you would be talking to him.
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »

The thing i do not understand is why Mike Love hated Dennis?  They were bro's from 1958 when Dennis and Mike went Surfing together and got Girl Friends and had drinking Root beers with the girls!  I smell something fishy about Mike and Dennis

I had a fast Life
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »

I smell something fishy about Mike and Dennis

So did they.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

I found some information.

Love would later claim that he and Pamplin were asked “to prevent [Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson] from providing cocaine and other dangerous drugs to Brian Wilson.”
In January 1981, Love and Pamplin followed Dennis Wilson to his house in Los Angeles. They observed Wilson consuming cocaine with several other people. They kicked down the door posing as police officers. Stan Love and Pamplin then chased Wilson, beat and kicked him, struck him with a telephone, slammed his head into a bedboard 12 times, and threw him through a window. According to Love, "it was one of the most brutal beatings ever."
Wilson would later press charges. In March, 1981, both Love and Pamplin agreed to a mutual restraining order [4] in a Santa Monica Supreme Court. Love was fined $750 and Pamplin was fined $250 for the beating. Both were put on six months probation.

The person who was behind this Attack was Mike Love!

I had a fast Life
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »

Love would later claim that he and Pamplin were asked “to prevent [Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson] from providing cocaine and other dangerous drugs to Brian Wilson.”
In January 1981, Love and Pamplin followed Dennis Wilson to his house in Los Angeles. They observed Wilson consuming cocaine with several other people. They kicked down the door posing as police officers. Stan Love and Pamplin then chased Wilson, beat and kicked him, struck him with a telephone, slammed his head into a bedboard 12 times, and threw him through a window. According to Love, "it was one of the most brutal beatings ever."
Wilson would later press charges. In March, 1981, both Love and Pamplin agreed to a mutual restraining order [4] in a Santa Monica Supreme Court. Love was fined $750 and Pamplin was fined $250 for the beating. Both were put on six months probation.

I've heard that it was the Illuminati behind the Attack....

Surfer, you should read into the Illuminati and let me know what you think!! The Wilsons were all members, and the Love clan desperately wished to be part of the secret society, but were denied entry due to Brian Wilson's negative attitude about them. That's why there was so much animosity between the Loves and Wilsons.

It's all thanks to the Illuminati that the band continues to enjoy success in the 21st century....

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 02:48:29 AM »

That was Mike's brother Stan, not Mike himself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:49:28 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx