-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.  (Read 81134 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »

I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore, but when I do I like a cold Bitburger Beer.
That's your preference? That's what you prefer??
bluesno1fann
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 06:30:56 AM »

One drink which I don't recommend is Southern Comfort. I'm aware that many people like it, but when I tried it, I hated it. As it turned out, most of my friends hate it as well. But then again, if you're into sweet alcohol, you may like it. Otherwise, avoid it...
KDS
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »

Bambu,

I couldn't agree more. 

I used to like Southern Comfort when I was in my early 20s (now 34). 

As an impulse, I picked up a mini for 99 cents at a local liquor store.  When I tried it, I almost spit it out. 

When it comes to liquor, I usually stick with bourbon (neat) when the weather is cooler, and spiced rum (neat or in a cocktail) when the weather warms up.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »

Dogfish head is the brand that turned me onto beer.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »

Kir Royale every time.
KDS
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »

Beer? 

Call me old fashioned, but I like a nice cold Budweiser.  I tend to gravitate toward pilsners. 

In the summertime, I'll also take a Modelo, Land Shark, or Corona.

Colder weather, a Smithwick or a Guinness.

And, call me basic, but I like Saranac Pumpkin Ale in the fall. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »

As the weather has improved, I've been making cocktails with vodka, soda, and some (just pure, not some flavored stuff) black cherry juice, and a little lemon.

It's cooler again outside, so I foresee some red wine. After I finish this cocktail with vodka, soda, and some black cherry juice, with a little lemon. And maybe another one of those.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »

I need some beer for hockey tonight!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

Drinking vodka and orange juice!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »

Drinking vodka and orange juice!

I'll buy the next round if they have grapefruit juice!  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »

Destroys livers and brain cells, leaves one feeling bloated and unsatisfied. You are better off with the 420.  Afro
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:33:53 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »

Destroys livers and brain cells, leaves one feeling bloated and unsatisfied. You are better off with the 420.  Afro
for those who want the experience of both: http://www.zootology.com/mixology

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2016, 11:15:47 PM »

Local Hong Kong beer is shockingly good. And none of it gets exported yet  Cool

rogerlancelot
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »

Milk and Cuervo. Or a Clam Juice Hotdog Milkshake Daiquiri.
KDS
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2016, 11:53:06 AM »

Having done both in the past, I can say I prefer alcohol. 

With smoking, it's a couple of tokes and you're wasted.  With alcohol, it's more of a process. 

Plus, I love the taste.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

I intend to drink beer tomorrow.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2016, 01:41:56 AM »

Gawd, I'm sorry to have missed this thread before.

Timely discovery as I have discovered a new, all-time favourite beer. I had my first pint at the wake following my boss's funeral so I guess you could say he introduced me to it, albeit unwittingly. As the company picked up the bar tab, you could also say it was on him, so "cheers", one final time.

It's a Yorkshire beer which means it already has a head start in the "world's best beer" stakes.

It's brewed by Theakstons of Masham and is called Theastons Peculiar Barista Stout.

It's gas-fed, not hand-drawn but in this case that's not a disadvantage.

It seems to be based on Theakstons Old Peculiar, a very dark, dense beer that has a hint of dandelion & burdock (Yorkshire's answer to Coca Cola, only better) to it. As the name suggests, it also has a big roasted coffee flavour.

Only found it in that one venue (the Vaults in Ilkley) so far but am hoping to find it closer to home. The drink drive laws here mean that it takes me 17 hours to walk home after every session, by which time I need another drink…
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:45:02 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »

Gawd, I'm sorry to have missed this thread before.

Timely discovery as I have discovered a new, all-time favourite beer. I had my first pint at the wake following my boss's funeral so I guess you could say he introduced me to it, albeit unwittingly. As the company picked up the bar tab, you could also say it was on him, so "cheers", one final time.

It's a Yorkshire beer which means it already has a head start in the "world's best beer" stakes.

It's brewed by Theakstons of Masham and is called Theastons Peculiar Barista Stout.

It's gas-fed, not hand-drawn but in this case that's not a disadvantage.

It seems to be based on Theakstons Old Peculiar, a very dark, dense beer that has a hint of dandelion & burdock (Yorkshire's answer to Coca Cola, only better) to it. As the name suggests, it also has a big roasted coffee flavour.

Only found it in that one venue (the Vaults in Ilkley) so far but am hoping to find it closer to home. The drink drive laws here mean that it takes me 17 hours to walk home after every session, by which time I need another drink…

LOL

I remember Theakston's Old Peculiar. A fine brew. I hope to revisit it some time...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »

I recently became interested in replicating the original Trader Vic's Mai Tai recipe from the 1940's:

2 ounces aged rum
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, juiced lime half reserved
1/2 ounce orange curaçao
1/4 ounce Rich Simple Syrup
1/4 ounce orgeat
1 cup crushed ice
1 mint sprig, for garnish

It came out really tasty!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »

Been drinking Hamm's beer ($4.20 for a six pack of 16 ounce beers)

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »

Hamms from the land of sky blue waters
KDS
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2018, 05:23:45 AM »

Been drinking Hamm's beer ($4.20 for a six pack of 16 ounce beers)

Where did you find that? 

I found a 30 pack at a liquor store in Baltimore 3-4 years ago, and I haven't seen it since. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2018, 05:58:59 AM »

Hamms, jeezus. About 15 years ago, in my often impoverished earlier days, a friend and I found a nearby store selling a local brand (Glueks) for an insanely cheap price. 12 packs of bottles were roughly the price of other brands’ 6-packs. I want to say $6.99 or so.

We said we couldn’t afford not to drink it.

Then we founds 30-pack cases of Hamms cans for double that, so basically 30 for the price of 12. That summer I probably did permanent damage to my waistline, brain, and liver.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »

It is all over the place in Virginia in the last year, I think they tweaked the formula a bit... Wink

KDS, I was at a beer store yesterday and Natty Boh has a special edition in O's colors for $5.69.....

KDS
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »

It is all over the place in Virginia in the last year, I think they tweaked the formula a bit... Wink

KDS, I was at a beer store yesterday and Natty Boh has a special edition in O's colors for $5.69.....

Yeah, Boh has been doing special Orioles cans each year since 2012.   They were serving them at the ballpark for a little bit, but some dispute over Boh using the word "Orioles" during a promotion got them booted.  Imagine that, the Orioles were once owned by the owner of Boh, and it's no longer served at games.  But, Boh still does the black and orange cans, and bars all over the area put Boh on special during O's games (I think watching an Orioles game might require at least a sixer this season).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: