-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer, Wine, Liquor, Spirits, Cocktails...Open Bar. Discuss, Recommend, etc.  (Read 81142 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »

Off work, I'm about to have a Fulton Sweet Child of Vine IPA. (One of Minnesota's fine IPAs. We have great IPAs, terrible IPA names.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »

I'm quite fond of umeshu (Japanese plum wine).  The best kinds I've had have actual fermented umes in the bottle.  I'm also partial to magkeolli, which is a kind of unfiltered Korean rice wine (though its alcoholic content is closer to beer) that looks like milk and tends to be imbibed in picnic-like settings.  I remember people drinking it before paragliding competitions in Korea, which I wouldn't recommend (and never tried myself), but it is quite good.

Soju is terrible though.  It tastes like hand sanitizer.

When I first read this, I read it as 'actual fermented urine in the bottle'. That sounded worse than creamy, white beer.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »

I had a ritual with a close friend to meet at this Chinese deli in town - we'd both order BBQ Pork rice with an egg. It would arrive 45 seconds after ordering with a bottle or two of Tsing Tsao.

Tsing Tsao is pretty decent.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »

Alcohol is generally not my cup of tea.
Then why are you here  

It's generally not my cup of tea, but I still like a few alcoholic beverages. Which I decided to post as it's kinda the point of this thread.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:48:05 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:47:46 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:47:27 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:47:06 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »

Scotch is the grand whiskey.  But I've recently taken a liking to Rye.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »

Rye is not my cup of tea. A cup of tea usually is, however.

My favorite liquor is Jaegermeister...but its expensive and I really haven't given the darker liquors a chance. The typical teenager only buys vodka, gin and tequila for parties, and when I buy liquor myself I get Jaeger. So once I get some Jack Daniel's I'll have to come back here and post my thoughts - and I've seen what it can do. hypehat's drunk reviews were all whiskey fueled.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »

It's a chilly day but that doesn't mean a cool beer is out of the question. A Schell's Pilsner it is. (And then more.) Schell's, for those of you who can't get it, is a regional beer with deep German roots in New Ulm, Minnesota, established in 1860 or something like that. They were a micro before micros were cool, generally just plugging along with a few basic styles. They've expanded a bit in recent years, but mostly just do a really solid job with a few (mostly, but not exclusively) German styles.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »

Whisky? The Macallan or or Cardhu or Edradour or Bunnahabhain. Maybe with a little water, but definitely no ice. Jamesons with ice, however.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2014, 12:24:13 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:46:41 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:46:17 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2014, 12:57:45 AM »

They're definitely fun drinks, party due to the presentation and the fact you can get them from vending machines...and all the amazing salty snacks you can only get in Asia.

I'll look through my photos from japan, I feel like I'm forgetting some cool alcohol related things. One Cup is cool, it's just a little jar of sake. Doesn't ready compare to some I've the Chinese liquors I've consumed that are above 55% alcohol. That stuff is hard to drink but the buzz is nuts.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:16 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:45:54 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:14 AM »

Hi all,

I like white wines.  Chardonnay is very good.  I am trying the sweeter whites so that I can have a glass with friends who like it if I go out with them.  I don't like white wine z.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »

Rumchata!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »

Everclear.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2015, 06:02:13 AM »

Whisky for Burns' Night?

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/poem-and-whisky-for-burns-night-tam.html
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 07:23:49 AM »

Ah yes...Wee Robbie.  I tend to only drink Scotch maybe two or three times a year.  Burns night being one of them.  [I played bass drum in a Pipe and Drum band for some 6 years...'til I moved in the fall.  Hope to start again here in the spring.  We hosted a Robbie Burns banquet and show every January.]

I like [cold] Beer [on a HOT day only]  To tell the experts here a little something...I really don't know the difference between Canadian Beer and Ale.  A Guinness?...THAT I can tell.  [Best bought and consumed in Ireland where it's the Good Stuff...and where they pour it properly]

I like Wine...dry red wine...with dinner.  Not really so much on its own.

Liquor?  Oh YA!!!  Now we're talkin'  Im a rum guy.  Generally white rum...although Appleton's amber out of Jamaica is really good.  My favourite white rum is Mount Gay...a product of Barbados.  To me it is THE BEST tasting white rum in the world. Unique.  Great with a little piece of lime and COKE. [Never Pepsi for any kind of rum.  Whoever invented Pepsi obviously didn't drink...or like...rum.]  For 'pedestrian white rum...again with COKE...I guess Bacardi is good enough.  Most of those brands all taste pretty much the same.  For a kick to the kidneys...The Wray and Nephew over-proof white rum out of Jamaica is really GREAT.  I Like it 2nd best of all the rums available to me.  I've gone out of my way to order it by the box because they don't stock it everywhere I've lived and it has to be brought in specially...hence by the case.  One has to be careful getting to know this rum 'cause it'll put you down on your ass HARD in no time flat if you don't know what you're doing.  Do NOT drink this with any kind of cola.  It doesn't mix well.  Instead mix it with the Jamaican grapefruit-based drink called 'TING'...or...use just plain water.  [Of course all of these rum drinks should also be served 'on the rocks'.

Anything else...I just visit ever so occasionally.  [except for gin which I absolutely loathe]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »

Hi all,

I like white wine and champagne.  I do have sweet martinis every now and then. 
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »

I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore, but when I do I like a cold Bitburger Beer.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

Vodka and Coca-Cola mixed together is a match made in heaven  angel  Grin
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »

Lagunitas recently released this "High West-ified" Imperial Coffee Stout that was brewed with  local (California treated) coffee, and aged in used "High West" brand bourbon & rye barrels. It's in super-limited edition quantities, and probably only available near states with a Lagunitas brewery (California and Illinois) but I gotta say for a person who isn't a fan of stouts OR coffee, buy this beer if you see it, even if it's at that $8.99 (per 22oz bomber) price tag a lot of places are selling it for.

I'm terrible at describing scents or flavors since my deviated septum causes distorted, diminished perceptions of both, but this brew is crazy delicious.... You can taste the bourbon/rye for like a second after drinking, before it finishes with a smooth coffee/stout/beer flavor.

Terrible at descriptions, as I mentioned, but. I live in "wine country" and people always talk about that garbage spoiled grape juice like it's actually delicious, when all you can actually taste is poison and wine barrel.

Well this "coffee stout" which is brewed in "wine country", you can only taste nasty barrel wood flavor for but a second, before that smooth, delicious, hoppy, Lagunitas flavor. Usually you get that choking-type thing when you drink hard stuff, but this bourbon barrel brewed beer only has the flavor for a second before it moves onto the beer-fan flavor.

If you can't tell, I have a terrible time describing it, but in conclusion, buy Lagunitas' "High West-ified Coffee Stout" if you are blessed with the opportunity to purchase it.

Otherwise, you'll have the opportunity to buy it (probably from myself or other a-holes fortunate enough to dwell in the SF bay area) in the next few months/years for way more cash monies than it originally sold for.

No mas, por favor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: