gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson albums query  (Read 2553 times)
TonyACT
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »

Hi folks.  I have been buying all of the Beach Boys CDs over the last few months and now have all of their studio albums and the Smile 2CD box.  I am thinking of moving on to some Brian Wilson CDs before moving into live and other albums.  To start with I would like to get Brian's studio work with new material.  Am I right in thinking there are three of them?:

Brian Wilson
Imagination
Gettin' In Over My Head

Thanks for any info and suggestions, and please point me at another thread if my search skills let me down yet again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:14:46 PM by TonyACT » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »

Hi Tony,

There is also Orange Crate Art which is written (mostly) by Van Dyke Parks but sung by Brian, and That Lucky Old Sun which many people, including myself, seem to enjoy. There is also the odd track on his other albums which is 'new material'. So on What I Really Want for Christmas you have the title track and "Christmasey" and on Reimagines Gershwin you have two 'new' tracks (ie: Brian completing unfinished Gershwin tunes) in "The Like in I Love You" and "Nothing But Love". There is also two pretty nice tunes - "The First Time" and "This Isn't Love" - from Live at the Roxy Theatre which have never been given proper studio releases.

If it was me I would start with Brian Wilson, That Lucky Old Sun, Imagination and then follow that with Smile, Reimagines Gershwin and Orange Crate Art and then the rest. Anyway, that's just my opinion but perhaps you may want to listen to a few tracks on Spotify / iTunes / YouTube or whatever before making your decision.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:32:14 PM by mikeyj » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »

and of course the Disney cd and I just wasn't made for these times (which is nothing but remakes of his older songs)
TonyACT
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »

Thanks for the helpful replies.  That Lucky Old Sun looks interesting, I will add it to my list for 'the near future' as opposed to the 'slightly later' list  Smiley
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »

That Lucky Old Sun has much more new material than Gettin' in Over My Head, and with much better quality too.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »

[...] There is also two pretty nice tunes - "The First Time" and "This Isn't Love" - from Live at the Roxy Theatre which have never been given proper studio releases.
[...]
"The Flintstones have a movie coming out, and this song's gonna be in the movie! Isn't that great??" Cheesy

Both good songs, especially "The First Time". I love that one.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »

There's also I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, which is a decent little album of Brian rerecording some of his material in a more stripped-down, intimate form. 

IMHO, Brian's solo material is somewhat spotty, but there is some good stuff to be had on all his albums. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »

That Lucky Old Sun has much more new material than Gettin' in Over My Head, and with much better quality too.

Seconded.  It takes a cue from the SMiLE format and has some of the most engaging material he's recorded on a solo album.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »

Hi all,

TLOS is a must have!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »

TLOS is defiantly a must have.

You won't hear brian having much more fun on a song than on "goin home"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »

TLOS is a magnificent album. If you don't count Brian Wilson Presents Smile, That Lucky Old Sun is by far Brian's best solo album. 'Southern California' gets me all misty; 'Midnight's Another Day' is a darkly powerful and beautiful mini-masterpiece; 'Goin' Home' is so so Brian; everything else ranges from excellent to merely very, very good.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx