gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:40:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys sights in the greater Los Angeles area  (Read 11733 times)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

I would think Denny had Marina hangouts in the Marina other than the Harmony, but I either don't know them or don't remember.  I'll bet Eddie Roach knows.  Has he ever said?  There was a Chart House and a Cheesecake Factory nearby.  I lived in the Marina as well as having a boat there for about 14 years.  Lots of restaurants, bars and funky little yacht clubs in the area (and one chi-chi one) - CA Yacht Club...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »

A Tour Of Beach Boys' Haunts In Their Hometown Of Hawthorne, California - With Pictures!
http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/11/01/a-tour-of-beach-boys-haunts-in-their-hometown-of-hawthorne-california-with-pictures

They Got Around: A Visual Tour of the Beach Boys’ History
http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/beach-boys-photo-essay-they-got-around-los-angeles/#sthash.z017hNJe.dpbs

Let’s Go To Hawthorne: A Beach Boys Pilgrimage
http://www.rebeatmag.com/lets-go-to-hawthorne-a-beach-boys-pilgrimage/

(Let's Go To) Hawthorne CA with David Marks! Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zqUU73riY

can you rate each of these, as to which you personally enjoyed the most?

I suggest somebody starts a poll thread on Beach Boys Pilgrimage links.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »

I wonder what Brian usually orders at that deli. There's this deli in Houston called Kenny & Ziggy's I've been wanting to try, and the Reubens they serve there look delish.

Billy, where is Kenny & Ziggy's?  Might check out next time we head south from The Woodlands area.
off of post oak, near the galleria

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »

This is really deep fan stuff, but I always wanted to do a Good Vibrations Promo Film Then-And-Now tour, and take shots of how the scenes look today versus 1966. Same angles, same backgrounds, whatever. I love that film, it's just one of those really obscure fan things I hope to do someday that I'm sharing for some reason... Grin

Some still-photo examples of my "tour" itinerary whenever it happens in person:

The apartment complex seen just off the on ramp to 101:

On ramp from North Cahuenga to the 101:
1966:

2011:

The Los Angeles Fire Department, formerly "Fire Station 27" where the GV firehouse scenes were filmed:
http://www.lafdmuseum.org/museum_hollywood

And in 1966 outside Station 27 with a famous guy behind the camera:

Things like hiring a worker from the Streets Dept. to spray water on me and whoever else is filling in for Michael Vosse, get a shot of everyone drinking Cokes with the firemen, all that stuff.  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 07:59:47 PM »

I just realized that I inadvertently may have been too casual about visiting LA restaurants where celebs go.  I know most people here are far too cool to do such things, but just in case someone innocently unknowing might screw up...There are LA restaurant unwritten rules for all of these places - no gawking, listening in on conversations or asking for autographs or photos.  People go sell them and stars know it.  No following the celebrity ANYWHERE, there are laws and something innocent could seem really weird.  All this stuff is just not DONE in LA...It's their home and they want some degree of privacy, just like you and your family do at home or at your regular hang-outs.  No one wants to be pestered.  And the restaurants are running a business.  Eat and leave in a reasonable length of time.  Celebs go to these places because they aren’t bothered there.   

Finally, it would probably be best to avoid the deli.  No one wants to be the crappy fan who disturbs Brian when he's having private time with family, or when he wants a burger, right?  He has meet and greet's at his shows for photos and autographs, as you know.  As an example, I remember once many, many years ago being at a restaurant with Brian.  A really sweet little family came up with their little kid to meet Brian, but we happened to be in the middle of a discussion about something somewhat serious - have no memory of what it was, but it was really, really jarring to be interrupted.  It was innocent on their part, but I'm sure neither of us responded well, simply because our heads weren't in a "be friendly to the nice stranger" place. I think we both just looked a little stunned and they may well have been disappointed meeting Brian - it's best to just avoid something like this.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »

That could be why Brian ignored Jeff Beck at the deli.

He was off the clock! Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »

I just realized that I inadvertently may have been too casual about visiting LA restaurants where celebs go.  I know most people here are far too cool to do such things, but just in case someone innocently unknowing might screw up...There are LA restaurant unwritten rules for all of these places - no gawking, listening in on conversations or asking for autographs or photos.  People go sell them and stars know it.  No following the celebrity ANYWHERE, there are laws and something innocent could seem really weird.  All this stuff is just not DONE in LA...It's their home and they want some degree of privacy, just like you and your family do at home or at your regular hang-outs.  No one wants to be pestered.  And the restaurants are running a business.  Eat and leave in a reasonable length of time.  Celebs go to these places because they aren’t bothered there.   

Finally, it would probably be best to avoid the deli.  No one wants to be the crappy fan who disturbs Brian when he's having private time with family, or when he wants a burger, right?  He has meet and greet's at his shows for photos and autographs, as you know.  As an example, I remember once many, many years ago being at a restaurant with Brian.  A really sweet little family came up with their little kid to meet Brian, but we happened to be in the middle of a discussion about something somewhat serious - have no memory of what it was, but it was really, really jarring to be interrupted.  It was innocent on their part, but I'm sure neither of us responded well, simply because our heads weren't in a "be friendly to the nice stranger" place. I think we both just looked a little stunned and they may well have been disappointed meeting Brian - it's best to just avoid something like this.

Really? 
 Anyone that really wants to meet Brian and is in the LA area, should take a chance and go by the deli. What's there to lose?   If Brian doesn't want to be amiable and say hello, he won't.
 But to suggest people instead go to M&G's is bordering on the insane. Is the  cost of the M&G the same as the cost of walking into a deli?  Of course it's not.

Go to the deli. Say hello.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »

I wonder what Brian usually orders at that deli. There's this deli in Houston called Kenny & Ziggy's I've been wanting to try, and the Reubens they serve there look delish.

I really hope it's Kenny Rogers and the son of Bob Marley that teamed up after Kenny's chicken franchises went under....

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »

Really? 
 Anyone that really wants to meet Brian and is in the LA area, should take a chance and go by the deli. What's there to lose?   If Brian doesn't want to be amiable and say hello, he won't.
 But to suggest people instead go to M&G's is bordering on the insane. Is the  cost of the M&G the same as the cost of walking into a deli?  Of course it's not.

Go to the deli. Say hello.

Have to disagree. I don't think he has ever mentioned the fact he goes there. Its just commented on in a lot of stories about the guy which he may or may not read so that makes it off limits in my book.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »

If Brian won't stop and chat with Jeff Beck on his way out of the deli, there's a pretty damn good chance he wouldn't talk to some Beach Boys freak interrupting his meal.

Here's what I'd do: get a job at there. It's the only way you're guaranteed to have a conversation with the big man even though it will mostly be repeating his order back to him.  Grin

By the way, Debbie, I am VERY glad that you chose to stick around this place and continue posting after those kinda iffy first days. Your input and positive vibes are very much appreciated by me, and I'm sure others as well!!!

No mas, por favor.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »

I think you should stay away from the deli and let BW and all the other celebrities have some degree of privacy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 02:06:41 AM »

A Tour Of Beach Boys' Haunts In Their Hometown Of Hawthorne, California - With Pictures!
http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/11/01/a-tour-of-beach-boys-haunts-in-their-hometown-of-hawthorne-california-with-pictures

They Got Around: A Visual Tour of the Beach Boys’ History
http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/beach-boys-photo-essay-they-got-around-los-angeles/#sthash.z017hNJe.dpbs

Let’s Go To Hawthorne: A Beach Boys Pilgrimage
http://www.rebeatmag.com/lets-go-to-hawthorne-a-beach-boys-pilgrimage/

(Let's Go To) Hawthorne CA with David Marks! Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zqUU73riY

can you rate each of these, as to which you personally enjoyed the most?

I never been to the USA so I enjoyed all of them just about the same...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »

Billy, where is Kenny & Ziggy's?  Might check out next time we head south from The Woodlands area.

Perfect.  My wife needs to run down to the Galleria one day soon.  Let's do lunch (as they say). Or some other time.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

Actually Chez Jay was exactly the same just a few years ago.  I lot of people fought to make it an historic site to preserve it, and got it done.  Then this public park think apparently did it in recently.  Arggghhh!

It's been six months since I was last at Chez Jay.  At that time the park was complete and Chez Jay was still a cool, funky dive bar.  Concerned about the long term plans for the restaurant, I just called and spoke to Juan, the manager, asking him about the long term plans for Chez Jay as discussed in the LA Times article of a year and a half ago.  His response was, "I don't know what they're taking about.  They can't change this place, man, it's a landmark."  During our conversation he reiterated that Chez Jay is an historical landmark and can't be changed.  Jon Stebbins or Ed Roach may have additional info about the status of Chez Jay, but hopefully Juan's take on the situation is 100% correct.

Chez Jay is quite small inside, with a cool vibe and presentation that's a zillion miles away from corporate cookie cutter chain restaurants.  It's a great place to enjoy a beer or other libation, along with free peanuts, while sitting at the bar or small tables in the center.  Or order a meal and sit at one of the booths on the right side.  Definitely a recommended stop for those checking out historical LA area BB sights.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:44:58 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »

Wheeew! That was a close call.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

Have to disagree. I don't think he has ever mentioned the fact he goes there. Its just commented on in a lot of stories about the guy which he may or may not read so that makes it off limits in my book.
[/quote]

I beg to differ.  He's revealed quite a few things in interviews, including favourite places.  I won't post the links out of respect for Brian's privacy.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »

Thank you for that update on Chez Jay, Custom Machine! I've been there several times and always enjoyed the vibe. Good food there, too!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

I beg to differ.  He's revealed quite a few things in interviews, including favourite places.  I won't post the links out of respect for Brian's privacy.

[/quote]

I stand corrected then.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »

Custom Machine - thanks for the info on Chez Jay!  I am greatly relieved.  I mean, what's a beat up old CA blonde to do without the dark lighting and ambience of that place!?  And thanks Stack-O-Tracks!  I wasn't even aware that it looked like I "left in a huff" in those early days until I read it later. I'm just busy and I post under my own name and I don't want to comment on stuff that could get me a letter from someone's attorney, so I avoid a few subjects. Christ, remember where I've been guys, thin-skinned and huffy would never have worked.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:20:06 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »

Custom Machine - thanks for the info on Chez Jay!  I am greatly relieved.  I mean, what's a beat up old CA blonde to do without the dark lighting and ambience of that place!?  And thanks Stack-O-Tracks!  I wasn't even aware that it looked like I "left in a huff" in those early days until I read it later. I'm just busy and I post under my own name and I don't want to comment on stuff that could get me a letter from someone's attorney, so I avoid a few subjects. Christ, remember where I've been guys, thin-skinned and huffy would never have worked.

Love your perspective and sense of humor, Debbie!

Thank you for that update on Chez Jay, Custom Machine! I've been there several times and always enjoyed the vibe. Good food there, too!

Yes, MDH, hopefully Chez Jay will continue to enjoy a long run!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:52:54 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »

Did anybody here attend this?

http://www.danaddington.com/dennybash/chez.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »

I really hope it's Kenny Rogers and the son of Bob Marley that teamed up after Kenny's chicken franchises went under....

LOL Nah, it's a Jewish Deli that gets a lot of rave reviews, and even appeared on Diners, Driveins and Dives on Food Network.

I beg to differ.  He's revealed quite a few things in interviews, including favourite places.  I won't post the links out of respect for Brian's privacy.
Yeah, would suck to be eating a Rueben, look up and see this:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:41:47 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »

Perfect.  My wife needs to run down to the Galleria one day soon.  Let's do lunch (as they say). Or some other time.

That'd it be cool.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »

Jon Stebbins.

http://www.danaddington.com/dennybash/denniswilsonbash.html

Actually seeing that picture of Dennis's sons again is a shock. To think that was almost 11 years ago.....Yikes!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:45:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »

I attended. It was great, and really felt like witnessing a family reunion (which it literally was), though obviously from an outside observer's perspective. I arrived early and sat at the bar, and Gage sat down by me. While I had never seen him before, I instantly had a hunch it was him. He was a nice guy. I still have my Denny Wilson Bash T-shirt, pin, and tote bag.

A very similar warm family reunion type vibe which I also felt whenever I attended the Carl Wilson Foundation shows.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:27:43 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx