gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:14:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys sights in the greater Los Angeles area  (Read 11718 times)
thefinkasaurus
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »

Hey everyone, I am currently in Los Angeles for an extended period of time, and I'd like to know what cool Beach Boys stuff I could see in my time here. I've already been to the memorial and Sunset Sound, but I'd like to see a lot more. Any suggestions?
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

here's some help:
beachboys.wikia.com/wiki/Historical_Sites

Apart from the monument and studios, I would go to the capitol tower, to their star in the walk of fame and the resting place of Carl. Maybe also grab a  bite in Hawthorne's Foster Freeze  Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »

Nah, don't waste your time with all the touristy sites. Cut to the chase and go catch the main man himself up at his favorite deli or at the little grocery store down the street from his crib.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »

there is no burger so good as the one they make for you at the "hamburger stand" of FFF fame; go there in your Daddy's T-bird. Fosters Freeze on Hawthorne blvd in the city of Hawthorne.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »

Nah, don't waste your time with all the touristy sites. Cut to the chase and go catch the main man himself up at his favorite deli or at the little grocery store down the street from his crib.

Since you're  in Los Angeles for an extended period of time, and don't have anything else to do with your time, you might as well visit as many of the touristy sites as you can,  first , as you'll probably be getting some solitary time after stalking the big man

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »

Make sure to wash the Foster's burger down with a cherry slush so your lips are all red and you look especially deranged for primo stalking! I'm told Alan Boyd loves it when people creep up to his window and whisper about Smile tapes.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »

Hey everyone, I am currently in Los Angeles for an extended period of time, and I'd like to know what cool Beach Boys stuff I could see in my time here. I've already been to the memorial and Sunset Sound, but I'd like to see a lot more. Any suggestions?

Some time ago I made a Bing map of Beach Boys locations in Southern California. Here's the link: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=39.543999~-104.968002&lvl=4&dir=0&sty=r&cid=877FE482AB60D2DE!181
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:38:06 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »

Looking at the list on that website - many aren't even there anymore (demolished) and there's nothing to see and others aren't even worth the gas getting there 'cause there's nothing to see. C'mon. 10452 Bellagio? Radiant Radish? 3701 119th St.? Gone years ago. The recording studios don't even look like they did in the 60's. Nothing to see at Capitol or what use to be on Sunset. Gold Star is gone. The Roxy? Why? Chez Jays? Maybe if Jay is there to recount a couple of stories. Carl's gravesite and Dennis' boat slip if you're in a morbid mood. The Landmark in Hawthorne might be worth the trip.

There use to be another web site with pictures of Hite Morgan's house and the house at Mt. Vernon & Fairway and Brian's apartment after he left the Hawthorne house and other places. Heck, watch David Marks' tour on Youtube - it's interesting in itself.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:58:25 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »

Looking at the list on that website - many aren't even there anymore (demolished) and there's nothing to see and others aren't even worth the gas getting there 'cause there's nothing to see. 'Cmon. 10452 Bellagio? Radiant Radish? 3701 119th St.? The recording studios don't even look like they did in the 60's. Nothing to see at Capitol or what use to be on Sunset. Gold Star is gone. The Roxy? Why? Chez Jays? Maybe if Jay is there to recount a couple of stories. Carl's gravesite and Dennis' boat slip if you're in a morbid mood. The Landmark in Hawthorne might be worth the trip.

There use to be another web site with pictures of Hite Morgan's house and the house at Mt. Vernon & Fairway and Brian's apartment after he left the Hawthorne house and other places. Heck, watch David Marks' tour on Youtube - it's interesting in itself.

I wouldn't count on catching Jay there; ( RIP 2008)

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »

If he was, that'd be a hell of a story.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

I wonder what Brian usually orders at that deli. There's this deli in Houston called Kenny & Ziggy's I've been wanting to try, and the Reubens they serve there look delish.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »

Thread here for this very thing.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5541.0.html
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »

Thread here for this very thing.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5541.0.html

Still nuthin' on that thread either that's really worth checking out.  Dennis' old houses - the one on Sunset and the big one where he had parties with the Manson family? Nah. Brother Studios on 5th St.? Goneski. The Beach Boys business offices on Ivar St.? Gone. A lot of years have gone by. Just old addresses now. Nuthin' much to see here, folks.

And now that Jay checked out, not much to see there except maybe old pictures on the wall.....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:59:09 PM by Mikie » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »

Trouble with a lot of BB's related sites is related to them being in LA. They were nothing of note back in the day to begin with. I've passed a few of the studios and to think such magic came out of these plain boring buildings.

I doubt anyone would ever go to LA JUST to see these locations but if you're on vacation and just want to see where they are at for curiosity sake then go check some out. I visit Paradise Cove a couple of times a year for the restaurant and location but always glance over at the cliff and visualize the album cover.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:53:05 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:25:05 AM »

I wonder what Brian usually orders at that deli. There's this deli in Houston called Kenny & Ziggy's I've been wanting to try, and the Reubens they serve there look delish.

Billy, where is Kenny & Ziggy's?  Might check out next time we head south from The Woodlands area.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »

Chez Jay is absolutely worth a stop - still a great place.  It was named as the place where the Pentagon Papers were passed (others have been named, as well) but it's right next to where Rand Corp was, so I suspect it's legit.  It was a Liz Taylor hang out too, along with lots of other celebs.  Truly funky with pretty good food, as well.

Denny's Harmony boat slip is a beautiful spot - not at all morbid to me - where he loved being, but the docks are locked and for slip holders only, unless you can get someone to take their dinghy over to the spot from the water.  A dear friend had a boat in the same marina, and he loved Denny too, so we always did a champagne toast at the slip on Denny's birthday.  When I had a boat there it was in another marina (Dolphin) across the street.  You need a key for the slips at each of the individual marinas and the bathroom/shower facilities - sorry!  I wouldn't try breaking in, although someone there might let you in.  You could get arrested for that as well as stalking Brian, I would guess!

I haven't looked at the maps.  Did anyone list Patrick's Roadhouse on PCH?  It's still there and is another great place that was one of Brian's spots for a period of time when he lived in Santa Monica Canyon off Mesa Rd.  You can go there and not be stalking him(!) and have another great view of the ocean at a fun place. 

I wish Michael Wilson still had his restaurant in Culver City.  He is a great chef and the life-size poster of Denny was great.

What's morbid to me is the Greentree address in Pacific Palisades where Brian lived and Landy took over the house after it had been remodeled.  Landy memories send a real shiver up my spine, not Denny's happy days on the water.  While I haven't had the fortune of seeing it, the Landy years will better be covered by seeing "Love & Mercy" I feel pretty safe in assuming from all I've read. 

Another place Brian loved and visited regularly, (by limo -it was great) for awhile was Disneyland...As far as I know, he probably still loves it. 

Have fun - LA is wonderful...
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

Oh, and they used to let Brian in through the underground "city" for employees of Disneyland to miss the crowds at the entrance.  If you can get some employee to get you in there, it might still be a "surreal" place.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »

Thanks Debbie. Cool to have your ideas and more welcome I'm sure.

A real shame the group didn't have a 'must see' such as the crossing outside Abby Road of Beatles fame.

Story on Chez Jay's here BTW. See it before its tarted up!

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/25/local/la-me-chez-jay-20130325
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:50:32 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »

A real shame the group didn't have a 'must see' such as the crossing outside Abby Road of Beatles fame.

Story on Chez Jay's here BTW. See it before its tartered up!

Thanks, Pretty Funky, but oh crap re:  Chez Jay!  Yes, see it while you can then!

And re:  the deli - it's a public place so I can't imagine why anyone who goes there to eat would be a problem.  It's just basic, "Don't Be a Jerk 101."  Don't interrupt anyone's meal or private conversation and everyone's cool, right?  I only had the soup there once when I was on my way to a memorial service at a church nearby on Mulholland, so can't speak to the food. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:01:36 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »

A Tour Of Beach Boys' Haunts In Their Hometown Of Hawthorne, California - With Pictures!
http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/11/01/a-tour-of-beach-boys-haunts-in-their-hometown-of-hawthorne-california-with-pictures

They Got Around: A Visual Tour of the Beach Boys’ History
http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/beach-boys-photo-essay-they-got-around-los-angeles/#sthash.z017hNJe.dpbs

Let’s Go To Hawthorne: A Beach Boys Pilgrimage
http://www.rebeatmag.com/lets-go-to-hawthorne-a-beach-boys-pilgrimage/

(Let's Go To) Hawthorne CA with David Marks! Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zqUU73riY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »

A Tour Of Beach Boys' Haunts In Their Hometown Of Hawthorne, California - With Pictures!
http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/11/01/a-tour-of-beach-boys-haunts-in-their-hometown-of-hawthorne-california-with-pictures

They Got Around: A Visual Tour of the Beach Boys’ History
http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/09/04/beach-boys-photo-essay-they-got-around-los-angeles/#sthash.z017hNJe.dpbs

Let’s Go To Hawthorne: A Beach Boys Pilgrimage
http://www.rebeatmag.com/lets-go-to-hawthorne-a-beach-boys-pilgrimage/

(Let's Go To) Hawthorne CA with David Marks! Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zqUU73riY

can you rate each of these, as to which you personally enjoyed the most?

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »

Story on Chez Jay's here BTW. See it before its tartered up!

Thanks, Pretty Funky, but oh crap re:  Chez Jay!  Yes, see it while you can then!

And re:  the deli - it's a public place so I can't imagine why anyone who goes there to eat would be a problem.  It's just basic, "Don't Be a Jerk 101."  Don't interrupt anyone's meal or private conversation and everyone's cool, right?  I only had the soup there once when I was on my way to a memorial service at a church nearby on Mulholland, so can't speak to the food. 

Brian has mentioned the name of his favourite Deli many times in interviews!  Good to know he's still a regular guy and can enjoy getting it and about without being hassled.  Smiley

I went to Chez Jay's in 1996 on a trip to LA.  It was exactly as described in Gaines' book and it was great to go there and have a quiet couple of beers and a chat with the guy behind the bar (not Jay).  When I told him I was a Beach Boys fan from near Glasgow, Scotland he said jokingly said, "do you guys surf up the Clyde (which is our big river)?".  So he obviously knew his Geography and told us about the history of Jay's including the Watergate stuff, Warren Beatty and Madonna and the peanut from the bar going to the moon!  Happy days!  Grin
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 04:34:07 PM »

God, I'm practically sobbing thinking about this place being gentrified into something bland...It's like defiling a sacred site...in fact, that's EXACTLY what it is!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »

I agree Debbie. Sad
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »

Actually Chez Jay was exactly the same just a few years ago.  I lot of people fought to make it an historic site to preserve it, and got it done.  Then this public park think apparently did it in recently.  Arggghhh!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx