gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:27:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & Al At The Gallo Arts Center, Modesto, CA 10-09-14  (Read 22279 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

I also noticed no teleprompter (not sure how long he may have been performing sans teleprompter, if this is news at all or not)

Brian was using a teleprompter for the whole show.  Al forgetting the words to the first verse of Sloop might warrant Al getting in on the teleprompter action for future dates...

I totally didn't see the teleprompter from my angle, and I was looking for it - maybe it was just tucked away a bit more than usual.

I do think that Al is underutilized in a live setting, and should be doing a few more leads. But it was sure great to see Al and Brian interact when they did.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:43:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »

You know, no matter how you look at it, whether it is Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys, The Endless Summer Band or The Brian Wilson Band, Brian is always at the center of everything. Brian does not have to sing everything, whether he sang it originally or not, it is still his music no matter who performs it. I am happy just hearing it and more happy that in 2014 it is still important and that people still want to hear it. That is some cool, amazing stuff!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »

Great points, DrBeachBoy...

15 years ago, I would've been speechless if you told me I'd get to see Brian perform again, let alone see him over 10 more times!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »

Forgive my most heinous ignorance, but is "Ike" supposed to be Matt Jardine?  If not, what happened to Matt?

Someone else posted a little while back that Matt Jardine had commented that he was taking some time off to "be with this family" ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18307.msg476833.html#msg476833 )

What's weird is that it looks like Matt Jardine played a gig with "California Surf Incorporated", which is another one of those off-shoot bands made up of various BB backing band guys. The gig was in Folsom, CA on 9/20. It also looks like Probyn Gregory was in the band along with Matt Jardine. The rest of the band included Bobby Figueroa, Billy Hinshce, and Ed Carter. I didn't know Probyn Gregory often kicked around with the Carter/Hinsche/Figueroa "circle." It looks like it's mostly Al Jardine's "Endless Summer" band without Al.

Don't think the "Be with his family" reason flies. Some of these recent Brian/Al gigs In Cali weren't far from Matt's neighborhood. Same with Folsom. Just a hop, skip, and a jump for he and his family to attend just for a few hours. But that's Matt's business, not ours. Though I would rather like to see Matt up there doing falsetto.....

I dunno, but I can say I'd sure like to see Matt return. I was saying way back in 1999 that while I thought Foskett was just fine, even back then I said I would have loved to see Matt doing the falsetto parts in Brian's band, however far fetched that was. It seemed late but still really cool to see Matt with Brian for the two UK gigs. I don't know what happened that has dictated Matt is not currently with the band. It's especially jarring considering Brian went out of his way to specifically mention back when the Foskett news hit that he had asked Matt to join the touring band.

I know Matt didn't last long in the touring BB's back in 1998 once Al was gone, and I would imagine the issues with Al could have influenced the decision for Matt to depart back then. I only mention this because I can't imagine Al would still be playing with Brian (and Al and Matt still doing gigs together of course) if there was some huge blow-up between Matt and the Brian organization.

If it's not possible to get any word from Matt, has anyone talked to "Ike" about how permanent his spot in the band is?

Again, potentially answering my own question in guessing that they probably don't know who's going to be where in the future.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:43:37 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 05:10:52 PM »

Forgive my most heinous ignorance, but is "Ike" supposed to be Matt Jardine?  If not, what happened to Matt?

Someone else posted a little while back that Matt Jardine had commented that he was taking some time off to "be with this family" ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18307.msg476833.html#msg476833 )

What's weird is that it looks like Matt Jardine played a gig with "California Surf Incorporated", which is another one of those off-shoot bands made up of various BB backing band guys. The gig was in Folsom, CA on 9/20. It also looks like Probyn Gregory was in the band along with Matt Jardine. The rest of the band included Bobby Figueroa, Billy Hinshce, and Ed Carter. I didn't know Probyn Gregory often kicked around with the Carter/Hinsche/Figueroa "circle." It looks like it's mostly Al Jardine's "Endless Summer" band without Al.

Don't think the "Be with his family" reason flies. Some of these recent Brian/Al gigs In Cali weren't far from Matt's neighborhood. Same with Folsom. Just a hop, skip, and a jump for he and his family to attend just for a few hours. But that's Matt's business, not ours. Though I would rather like to see Matt up there doing falsetto.....

I dunno, but I can say I'd sure like to see Matt return. I was saying way back in 1999 that while I thought Foskett was just fine, even back then I said I would have loved to see Matt doing the falsetto parts in Brian's band, however far fetched that was. It seemed late but still really cool to see Matt with Brian for the two UK gigs. I don't know what happened that has dictated Matt is not currently with the band. It's especially jarring considering Brian went out of his way to specifically mention back when the Foskett news hit that he had asked Matt to join the touring band.

I know Matt didn't last long in the touring BB's back in 1998 once Al was gone, and I would imagine the issues with Al could have influenced the decision for Matt to depart back then. I only mention this because I can't imagine Al would still be playing with Brian (and Al and Matt still doing gigs together of course) if there was some huge blow-up between Matt and the Brian organization.

If it's not possible to get any word from Matt, has anyone talked to "Ike" about how permanent his spot in the band is?

Again, potentially answering my own question in guessing that they probably don't know who's going to be where in the future.

I've been wondering about this, as well. I suppose, with Brian only performing sporadically right now, they may be filling the slot on a per show basis, depending on who's available. When Brian starts touring in support of his album, we should have a more regular member. I guess.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »

Great points, DrBeachBoy...

15 years ago, I would've been speechless if you told me I'd get to see Brian perform again, let alone see him over 10 more times!

That says it for me too. It's still hard to believe I was able to get tickets to see Brian at Symphony Hall in Boston in the late 90's, when a full-fledged tour was unthinkable just a few years ago. Not to mention a tour where I'd hear a crack band of musicians actually pull off songs like "Let's Go Away For Awhile" and other studio creations on the live stage with that much feel.

Now it's 2014, and he's still on stage performing. We can still get tickets to see him, we can also choose any number of reissue and greatest hits albums alongside a forthcoming new Brian Wilson album...how many is that since 1997?

I've said it before, I think sometimes fans take those facts for granted, or are simply spoiled by the availability...unless they can't remember or weren't alive when the prospect of Brian Wilson playing Pet Sounds and Smile material live on stage was a pipe dream. Not a pipe dream, an impossibility.

Good times.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »

Well, Brian E. has Four Freshman tour dates, and I'm sure that's his first priority.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »

First, Jon...It's interesting that you would refer to the songs "Our Prayer" and "Heroes And Villains" as post-Good Vibrations, considering they were written and recorded within weeks (days?) of "Good Vibrations" and appeared on the same albums (Smiley Smile and The Smile Sessions).

Astonishingly, yeah, I think songs that came out nine months and 28 months after "Good Vibrations" do count as after "Good Vibrations".  Particularly in the context of talking about the traveling-jukebox setlists of the '80s and beyond, where 1966 seemed to be the cutoff date -- you could generally count the songs from 1967-75 they played on two fingers, three if you were very lucky.

Which also brings into question if the fans attending Brian Wilson concerts TODAY actually view those songs as being Brian Wilson solo songs (from BWPS).

I don't think they're nearly as fussy about it as we are -- but yeah, I think the average Brian Wilson concert attendee *who's aware of the songs from Smile at all* is more likely to think of Smile not just as being "that Beach Boys album he never finished", but "that Beach Boys album he finally finished by himself".

Is "Good Vibrations" also a BW solo song from BWPS?

Who cares?  The fundamental point I'm making is about giving-the-public-what-they-want versus more obscure deep cuts -- and by no sensible measurement can "Good Vibrations" be seen as a deep cut.

Maybe my "give the people what they want" comment needs further 'splaining... police I agree that there was a time when there was a demand for different, deeper stuff, like the Pet Sounds Live and BWPS tours. It's hard to believe that it's been over 10 years now since those tours.

Down here in Sydney we got a multi-night residency for "That Lucky Old Sun", and even some Gershwin shows.  The fact that you didn't get those much in the States have little to do with Brian being disinterested in playing them, and more to do with promoters not being interested in putting on shows like that...

Regards,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »

That says it for me too. It's still hard to believe I was able to get tickets to see Brian at Symphony Hall in Boston in the late 90's, when a full-fledged tour was unthinkable just a few years ago. Not to mention a tour where I'd hear a crack band of musicians actually pull off songs like "Let's Go Away For Awhile" and other studio creations on the live stage with that much feel.

Now it's 2014, and he's still on stage performing. We can still get tickets to see him, we can also choose any number of reissue and greatest hits albums alongside a forthcoming new Brian Wilson album...how many is that since 1997?

I've said it before, I think sometimes fans take those facts for granted, or are simply spoiled by the availability...unless they can't remember or weren't alive when the prospect of Brian Wilson playing Pet Sounds and Smile material live on stage was a pipe dream. Not a pipe dream, an impossibility.

Good times.

Absolutely.

As I posted in another thread a short while ago, when Carl died nobody would have dreamed that we would have had a situation with Brian (and Al) performing regularly with a great band and Mike and Bruce also touring with an excellent band too. People should enjoy it while it lasts.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »

Sorry but I've never bought into the "give the audience what they want". There are artists out there who do not perform "greatest hits shows" and have no problem selling out shows. Van Morrison and Radiohead are two very good examples that come to mind.

As an example, here is a setlist from July 27, 2014 that Van Morrison performed:

Celtic Swing
Close Enough for Jazz
Back on Top
Rough God Goes Riding
So Quiet In Here
Keep It Simple
Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me)
(Tony Bennett cover)
Queen of the Slipstream
Sometimes We Cry
Mystic of the East
In the Garden
Into the Mystic
Whenever God Shines His Light
Ballerina
Gloria

No Moondance, And It Stoned Me, Brown Eyed Girl, Wild Night, Tupelo Honey, Domino, Here Comes The Night, etc. Yet, the couple of shows he's had since then have sold out.

There is a choice to base your shows set towards an audience who know a handful of hit songs and couldn't name anyone up on stage. You could also base the set on what you, as a performer, want to perform that night. I'd much rather see an artist perform songs they are excited about rather than just going through the motions with the same, tired set list. You can't please everyone so don't bother trying. I went to the first show of the BW + Jeff Beck show and I was disappointed with the greatest hits set list. Blondie on SOS and Jeff Beck's Surf's Up and Don't Talk were definitely the highlights for me. Based on that experience, I wouldn't go see Brian again unless it was in the middle of a tour when some deeper cuts are being performed. I wouldn't go see the M&B show just because I think the set they play has been stale for decades now and I wouldn't waste my money to see it. I think they sound good but it's just no interest to me. If Al went on tour with a set that included music from 68 - 73, I'd go see him in a heartbeat. The M&B show is out there for the casual listener, there should be someone out there with the actual fans in mind.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »

Sorry but I've never bought into the "give the audience what they want". There are artists out there who do not perform "greatest hits shows" and have no problem selling out shows. Van Morrison and Radiohead are two very good examples that come to mind.

As an example, here is a setlist from July 27, 2014 that Van Morrison performed:

Celtic Swing
Close Enough for Jazz
Back on Top
Rough God Goes Riding
So Quiet In Here
Keep It Simple
(Tony Bennett cover)
Queen of the Slipstream
Sometimes We Cry
Mystic of the East
In the Garden
Into the Mystic
Ballerina
Gloria

No Moondance, And It Stoned Me, Brown Eyed Girl, Wild Night, Tupelo Honey, Domino, Here Comes The Night, etc. Yet, the couple of shows he's had since then have sold out.

There is a choice to base your shows set towards an audience who know a handful of hit songs and couldn't name anyone up on stage. You could also base the set on what you, as a performer, want to perform that night. I'd much rather see an artist perform songs they are excited about rather than just going through the motions with the same, tired set list. You can't please everyone so don't bother trying. I went to the first show of the BW + Jeff Beck show and I was disappointed with the greatest hits set list. Blondie on SOS and Jeff Beck's Surf's Up and Don't Talk were definitely the highlights for me. Based on that experience, I wouldn't go see Brian again unless it was in the middle of a tour when some deeper cuts are being performed. I wouldn't go see the M&B show just because I think the set they play has been stale for decades now and I wouldn't waste my money to see it. I think they sound good but it's just no interest to me. If Al went on tour with a set that included music from 68 - 73, I'd go see him in a heartbeat. The M&B show is out there for the casual listener, there should be someone out there with the actual fans in mind.

Brian's shows have more often than not had a good amount of deep cuts, especially when he's in a full tour. These random recent shows can't be used as a measure of much of anything. As it stands, he still has been doing a pretty decent setlist. Frankly, I think it's cool to hear Al sing stuff like "Little Deuce Coupe." Apart from C50, how often have fans had a chance to see Al sing ANYTHING? I'm probably a bigger fan of Al's than a typical random BB fan, and even I've only been able to catch him twice on his own shows since 1999. I've seen Al more times WITH Brian (non-C50) than I've seen Al with his own band. I saw Al in 2006 and 2007 with Brian, and then again in 2013.

In any event, as far as setlist, NONE of the BB camps have cultivated the type of audience (both fans and promoters/venues) that would allow them to bust out on stage on do NO hits of any kind. Brian could come the closest to doing this, as he has done with things like the PS and Smile tours, etc. But even Brian's shows are often still sold to some venues and promoters based on his BB history and BB connections. His audiences have more indie nerd types who want to hear "Diamond Head" and "I'd Love Just Once To See You." But even that audience doesn't fill the venues, and doesn't always convince the promoters. Promoters probably still expect even Brian to do some BB hits.

Mike's show is an extension of what the BB touring bands did since the 70's. They built their live audience on a live hits jukebox format. By the early 80's (arguably sooner), they ceased being a "recording artist" who also toured, and became a trademarked touring outfit, who occasionally might still do something in the studio. They could have slipped more rarities than they did into the setlist over the years. I don't think just dropping a surf or car song or two and adding a rarity would have mattered. But if they had ever (or to this day) dropped every recognizable song, they would have had serious issues with audiences and promoters.

Al's problem for his scattered shows is even worse than Mike's. He only usually gets bookings for venues with the exact opposite of "hardcore" fans, and usually ends up doing really short sets. If he goes to "Aquapalooza" and just does the full "Holland" album and leaves, I don't think he'll be asked back again....

The BB's could have at least tried (and they maybe still would have failed) to continue to cultivate a progressive image back in the 70's. I don't think, even if Dennis and Carl had run the band and chosen the setlist, they would or could have ever got to the point of doing full tours billed as "The Beach Boys" and performed no known hits. Of course, had they continued to make "hits", then they could have done different "hits" in concert.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:54:13 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »

Well, Brian E. has Four Freshman tour dates, and I'm sure that's his first priority.

Good point. I just checked that tour schedule; I had no idea how actively or not actively he toured with the Four Freshmen. Interestingly, it looks like he's booked for the dates Brian is playing the Bridge School Benefit. Wonder if they will get the Fendertones guy back, or just make do with someone in the band doing falsetto parts (it will be a short setlist, mostly acoustic), or get Matt Jardine back. I wonder how well guys like Darian or Scott could do a falsetto?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »

Celtic Swing
Close Enough for Jazz
Back on Top
Rough God Goes Riding
So Quiet In Here
Keep It Simple
(Tony Bennett cover)
Queen of the Slipstream
Sometimes We Cry
Mystic of the East
In the Garden
Into the Mystic
Ballerina
Gloria

Brian's shows have more often than not had a good amount of deep cuts, especially when he's in a full tour. These random recent shows can't be used as a measure of much of anything. As it stands, he still has been doing a pretty decent setlist. Frankly, I think it's cool to hear Al sing stuff like "Little Deuce Coupe."  

Seeing Al sing "Little Deuce Couple" live was really super, and I honestly prefer his vocal on it to any other version I've heard.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:58:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

HeyJude,
I in no way would expect any of the touring members of The Beach Boys to drop the hits. I know that isn't realistic. What annoys me is the fact that if there are artists that can get away with performing little or no hits at well attended shows, than I don't see why they couldn't do a set of 80-85% hits and 15-20% deeper cuts.

I could go to a Mike & Bruce show and leave pissed because they didn't perform Dance, Dance, Dance or All Summer Long. If you are going to tour a "greatest hits" show, why not include those songs instead of Pisces Brothers or Cool Head, Warm Heart (they aren't even really Beach Boys songs) and Goin' To The Beach (which I'm sure 98% of the audience has probably never heard). Am I lead to believe that the audience will boo and walk out if a song like Friends is performed but they'll stick around for Pisces Brothers? I don't buy it. At least Friends is a Beach Boys song and should be more familiar with the audience since it has been included on the GV box set, Warmth of the Sun compilation, GH volume 2, 50 Big Ones and the MIC box.
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »

HeyJude,
I in no way would expect any of the touring members of The Beach Boys to drop the hits. I know that isn't realistic. What annoys me is the fact that if there are artists that can get away with performing little or no hits at well attended shows, than I don't see why they couldn't do a set of 80-85% hits and 15-20% deeper cuts.

I could go to a Mike & Bruce show and leave pissed because they didn't perform Dance, Dance, Dance or All Summer Long. If you are going to tour a "greatest hits" show, why not include those songs instead of Pisces Brothers or Cool Head, Warm Heart (they aren't even really Beach Boys songs) and Goin' To The Beach (which I'm sure 98% of the audience has probably never heard). Am I lead to believe that the audience will boo and walk out if a song like Friends is performed but they'll stick around for Pisces Brothers? I don't buy it. At least Friends is a Beach Boys song and should be more familiar with the audience since it has been included on the GV box set, Warmth of the Sun compilation, GH volume 2, 50 Big Ones and the MIC box.

I`m not sure I see the logic...

At the meat and potatoes shows Mike and Bruce play a few non-hits because I guess it would be boring for even them to play the exact same setlist every night for 16 years.

Could they play Friends? Sure but that goes for hundreds of other Beach Boys tunes. They alternate some that they want to sing more like Wendy, Keep an Eye on Summer, Kiss Me Baby, Warmth of the Sun, Good to my Baby, Disney Girls, All This is That, Betsy etc.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »

The chief difference between the BB and acts like Van Morrison is that the BB have had quite a few hit singles, wheras Morrison hasn't had that being more of an album artist.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »

Van Morrison and Radiohead don't have nearly as many recognizable songs as The Beach Boys do so couldn't really do what The Beach Boys/Brian do with their setlists. The same could be said for most other bands as well, I guess unless you're The Beatles, Stones, or Bob Marley, but I don't think 2 of em play much shows anymore.

Do they even have any hits beyond Brown Eyed Girl & Creep? Not even going to pretend I'm not fokken ignorant about those 2 musicals entities you mentioned.

No mas, por favor.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »

Sure, both of them had multiple singles, just not #1 hits. All the other songs I mentioned by Van are very well known songs and still get pretty heavy play on classic rock radio stations. Radiohead became huge with the albums The Bends and (especially) OK Computer. They had multiple singles and videos for songs off both albums. If you go see them now, you're lucky if you get two songs from those albums combined. Both artists play what they want to play and know there is an audience for it, regardless. Hell, Jimmy Buffett has the hawaiian shirt wearing audience who loves the hits but he still throws in a good amount of random songs that stretch his entire career on each tour.

I guess the entire reason for my rant is that I'm mostly just disappointed with how much great music The Beach Boys have that they ignore as far as live performances go. It's sad that they made the decision decades ago to base 98% of their set on 4 or 5 years of their career. There is so much more to them than the pre 1966 hits. It makes me sad that they are perfectly fine to be known for those hits and not much else.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »

'Don't Back Down', which those who've known me for all these years know that's in my bottom 2 with 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister'.

Shocked

I believe I am in the minority in that I'd like to hear Brian delegate MORE leads out to the band members.  It's what he did with BB songs when he wrote them, and I see it as a natural extension of that.

The next step would be to let them go tour without him. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Nicko1234
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 01:35:09 AM »

Sure, both of them had multiple singles, just not #1 hits. All the other songs I mentioned by Van are very well known songs and still get pretty heavy play on classic rock radio stations. Radiohead became huge with the albums The Bends and (especially) OK Computer. They had multiple singles and videos for songs off both albums. If you go see them now, you're lucky if you get two songs from those albums combined. Both artists play what they want to play and know there is an audience for it, regardless. Hell, Jimmy Buffett has the hawaiian shirt wearing audience who loves the hits but he still throws in a good amount of random songs that stretch his entire career on each tour.

I guess the entire reason for my rant is that I'm mostly just disappointed with how much great music The Beach Boys have that they ignore as far as live performances go. It's sad that they made the decision decades ago to base 98% of their set on 4 or 5 years of their career. There is so much more to them than the pre 1966 hits. It makes me sad that they are perfectly fine to be known for those hits and not much else.

A couple of points...

Firstly, you are right that there are some artists that can get away with performing few hits in their shows. These are the artists who are known for their albums rather than primarily for their singles though. Apart from Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys are known as a singles band (how many albums have Radiohead released that flopped as badly as Friends, Sunflower or Summer in Paradise to name but three?). The other artists often have people turning up to see them as performers as well. Guys like Bob Dylan and AGD`s favourite Morrissey, for example, can get away with playing almost no hits in their sets because people turn up to watch them but very few are going to a Mike and Bruce show just to see the individuals.

And you said you would like 15-20% of deeper cuts. Well you will get at least that if you see Mike and Bruce at a decent venue. Mike`s Facebook page shows them playing 44 songs at a show last week for example.

And if you`re hoping for more later songs then, as they recently soundchecked Summer in Paradise, your prayers may be about to be answered.  Wink

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »

Interesting thread.   All over the place topic and opinion wise.  hard to say where to respond.  I think Brian playing more hits and fewer deeper cuts is cyclical.   and the band gets better response and audience feedback from hits.   but some fans, and the band/s like some variety , like to mix it up a bit at times.   I've loved some less popular shows, attendance wise, such as Gershwin shows.   but the band, and Brian in particular seemed to be unsure of the audience response......it was awkward at times.   and I have to say again, not having Taylor at the Gershwin shows was a huge disappointment to me.    The perfect showcase for BW, Gershwin, and Taylor, and Brian and JF trying to make it happen.  Looked awkward.   I guess
 You just have to have your fingers crossed at BW shows and hope the pieces all fall into place and the stars align.  so many variables in a new millennium BW's show.  Still I go.    At least until after the BAD/Beck show.    I'm still sorting that out.  Sad, but I doubt we'll get shows again of the quality of the shows with the full blown BW band .......as seen from the time of PS to just before BWRG.    Hope to see the BW band  pull it all together one more time.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »

A bunch of videos turning up from the Long Beach show:

Don't Worry Baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3kJyyCKhkI

Another version of She Knows Me...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_djCVqxafU

Both of these posters have a few others vids on their profiles from the show as well.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »

Both of these posters have a few others vids on their profiles from the show as well.

Don't love that Don't Worry Baby. She Knows Me sounds good, though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:45:22 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2014, 01:08:35 PM »

I was (and still am) bummed that Matt hasn't been with them, but that Ike dude sounds really good on those numbers. He does sound like early era Brian (and Matt) in that he has a nice, full "lead" voice and can also do the falsetto parts and move seamlessly between the two. Sometimes there are falsetto guys who are there more because they can hit the needed notes, but the actual "lead" voice and the tone are grating, but this guy has it nailed pretty well. Which makes sense if he has been doing Four Freshman stuff for years.

I wonder if Ike digs doing non-jazzy Four Freshman stuff like "Marcella."  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »

I wish more videos with Brian leads were up.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx