gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:39:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & Al At The Gallo Arts Center, Modesto, CA 10-09-14  (Read 22145 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

Agreed. But it really is common sense and isn't just limited to Wilson. His closest living analogue is probably McCartney, who is similar: lots of Beatles, lots of Wings, maybe a song or two beyond that. Whatever other artists whose primary successes were in the '60s are still out there, no doubt it's the same or similar situation.

The fact is there are just more people who are more casual fans and who want to hear those (admittedly great hit songs. (They were hits for a reason, after all!) If his band is going to do shows of more obscure music, they'd probably have to book smaller venues and charge three times as much (or some other multiple, I'm making that up) per ticket to come out with similar financial results. And then everyone would complain about that.

I do agree that many acts from the 60s will give a greatest hits show. I think that Brian is one of those people like Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed (before his passing) etc. who doesn`t have to though. I can understand why they have for these few shows, especially as some have been played in venues suited to hits, but Brian has shown in the past that he can sell tickets while performing a more varied set list.

I think most concertgoers would be disappointed if they didn`t hear the `super hits` like I Get Around, God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, California Girls etc. but hopefully if there is a proper tour to support the new album they can drop some of the other songs. I doubt anyone would be asking for their money back if Catch a Wave, Hawaii, Dance Dance Dance, All Summer Long etc. weren`t played for example.

Hopefully the other rarities will be sung by Brian and Al though. Ike sounds fine on this one but (and this absolutely goes for the M&B shows as well) the more songs sung by Beach Boys the better.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »

I alllllllllllllmost went to this show, and now I'm kicking myself in the head cause I didn't. She Knows Me Too Well is one of my all time favorites by the band.

But yeah, more solo stuff needs to happen. Bust out Rio Grande sometime!!!

No mas, por favor.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »

I agree that some of the not-such-hits could be switched out for something fresher. For instance from Brian's most recent sets, you could probably lose "Catch a Wave", "Hawaii", "Shut Down", and "She Knows Me Too Well" and give us "You're So Good To Me", "This Whole World" and "Please Let Me Wonder. Bring back stuff that Brian's band has done like "Good Timin'" and "Caroline No". Both "Good Timin'" and "Caroline No" were top 40 hits, so maybe that could make them feel better about including them. Maybe throw in "Lonely Sea", very beautiful, from the Surfin' U.S.A. album

Maybe give Al another tune of his own to chose, which would likely be "California", but shoot, maybe we'd get "Lookin' at Tomorrow". Or how about "Vegetables"? Al's there, why not? Also, I gotta say I don't really dig how Brian or Mike delegate leads out to non Beach Boys. I never wanted to hear Foskett sing "Don't Worry Baby" or "Wouldn't It Be Nice". I don't wanna hear Darian do "Darlin'". And as nice as it might be, I don't wanna hear some guy named Ike doing "She Knows Me Too Well". Shoot, I'd rather hear Brian covering "Lahaina Aloha" than hearing these replacement dudes doing the main job.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

In general, if Brian is doing an honest-to-goodness tour, promoting something specific or with a real goal in mind, the setlist will be changed up. And that's because you have some time for band rehearsal, etc.

If he's just doing stray shows like he has been this fall, the setlists are much less adventurous -- and this has been the trend for at least the last seven years or so. I'm not a fan of it, in particular, because I think these kind of shows tend to engage Brian less than the more varied ones (although there are always exceptions). But it looks like he's just doing some mild greatest-hits type dates, with relatively little promotion, so this is what we get.

As for the band taking leads, there's never a good option. Brian used to sing practically everything (with a bit of Foskett doubling here and there), but ended that 2007-2009, with Jeff, Scott and Darian beginning to take some leads. Before that point, people complained that his band members didn't get a chance to sing lead, especially when BW was struggling. Now that they do, there are complaints about that.
Nicko1234
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 11:01:26 PM »

In general, if Brian is doing an honest-to-goodness tour, promoting something specific or with a real goal in mind, the setlist will be changed up. And that's because you have some time for band rehearsal, etc.

If he's just doing stray shows like he has been this fall, the setlists are much less adventurous -- and this has been the trend for at least the last seven years or so. I'm not a fan of it, in particular, because I think these kind of shows tend to engage Brian less than the more varied ones (although there are always exceptions). But it looks like he's just doing some mild greatest-hits type dates, with relatively little promotion, so this is what we get.

As for the band taking leads, there's never a good option. Brian used to sing practically everything (with a bit of Foskett doubling here and there), but ended that 2007-2009, with Jeff, Scott and Darian beginning to take some leads. Before that point, people complained that his band members didn't get a chance to sing lead, especially when BW was struggling. Now that they do, there are complaints about that.

I think Al being part of the band has already solved part of that issue though...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »

One of my favorite memories of the C50 show was Scott Totten singing 'Ballad of Ole Betsy' and doing an ace job. My wife, who wasn't fond of the original version, looked at me and said 'that was just awesome'. We had the same reaction when Jeff sang 'Don't Back Down', which those who've known me for all these years know that's in my bottom 2 with 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister'. So, in a band setting, I'm cool with it, as it's the same to me as when Billy would rock 'Sail on Sailor' in the past. For a Brian solo show, I'm a bit more on the fence, just because his name is on the marquee. I personally prefer hearing Brian more than anyone else. But, I can understand those who feel otherwise.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »

For Brian it's a different case because people are there to see Brian Wilson, and would therefore be a little confused to see some young guy named... Brian... er... Ike singing while Brian Wilson sits at his keyboard and stares into space for three minutes.

But then again, if anyone is in need of having other people take the vocal slack up for him, it's Brian. And that's why having Al there is great - he has the name and historical association to justify singing his own songs while still being under Brian's tour.

I'd say ditch Scott on Sail On Sailor and Darian on Darlin' and give Al two more leads. How about giving Al a try singing Sail On Sailor? I bet that would sound great!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 11:20:22 PM »

For Brian it's a different case because people are there to see Brian Wilson, and would therefore be a little confused to see some young guy named... Brian... er... Ike singing while Brian Wilson sits at his keyboard and stares into space for three minutes.

'Ma'am...the ticket CLEARLY reads "Brian" "comma" and THEN "Wilson" '

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 06:16:59 AM »

I don't think it's a big deal when Brian delegates a couple of leads to other band members. It breaks things up a bit and gives Brian a break. And, they usually sing the song better than Brian would anyway.

I do think, however, it would be better if those songs aren't Brian Wilson original leads, like Darian singing "Darlin", a Carl Wilson lead, and, of course, Al and Blondie singing their leads. There is something a little awkward when songs with incomparable, original Brian leads like "Don't Worry Baby", "The Warmth Of The Sun", "Ballad Of Ole Betsy" (during C50), and now "She Loves Me Too Well" are sung by somebody other than Brian. With Brian SITTING RIGHT THERE at the piano, basically doing very little, it kind of has a way of bringing attention to the fact that he (Brian) can no longer do the song justice. It's probably just me, it's an emotional thing, but I'm usually remembering how great the original vocal was - with Brian singing it - and, what's the point of doing the song if Brian ain't singing it. Maybe it would be better if it was left off the setlist? There's so many other songs to choose from. I mean, what if somebody other than Brian sang "Love And Mercy"?

Speaking of "Love And Mercy", I'm wondering if the lack of solo material being performed is because Brian himself isn't that fond of it? We know (based on record sales, or lack of them) that the fans wouldn't be as open to the solo songs as the surf & turf songs that are dominating Brian's recent sets. Apparently, Brian has now reached the point that Mike AND THE BEACH BOYS realized a long, long time ago (1974 actually). Give the people what they want.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:45:00 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »

Forgive my most heinous ignorance, but is "Ike" supposed to be Matt Jardine?  If not, what happened to Matt?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »

Speaking of "Love And Mercy", I'm wondering if the lack of solo material being performed is because Brian himself isn't that fond of it? We know (based on record sales, or lack of them) that the fans wouldn't be as open to the solo songs as the surf & turf songs that are dominating Brian's recent sets. Apparently, Brian has now reached the point that Mike AND THE BEACH BOYS realized a long, long time ago (1974 actually). Give the people what they want.

Bit of a long bow to draw there.

The resemblance to a post-'74 Beach Boys setlist (more like post-'81, because a look at the setlist archive tends to show that they had a fair chunk of recent-album material throughout the '70s) is pretty minimal; something like a quarter of Brian's set this time (7 songs out of 31) is still post-Good-Vibrations, which was the usual cutoff point for the Beach Boys in their travelling-jukebox phase.  He's also featuring a couple of songs from his biggest solo album hit (i.e, Smile).

It's also been barely a year since the Jeff Beck tour, where even in an abbreviated show he was throwing in solo numbers like "Goin' Home" and more Smile tracks than we've heard since the original tour.

More basically, we're still in a lull in his solo career -- he hasn't put out an album under his own name in three years (and that was Disney).  If he's still downplaying "Love And Mercy" and solo material after the new album comes out, then you might be able to conclude something...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »

I don't think it's a big deal when Brian delegates a couple of leads to other band members. It breaks things up a bit and gives Brian a break. And, they usually sing the song better than Brian would anyway.

I do think, however, it would be better if those songs aren't Brian Wilson original leads, like Darian singing "Darlin", a Carl Wilson lead, and, of course, Al and Blondie singing their leads. There is something a little awkward when songs with incomparable, original Brian leads like "Don't Worry Baby", "The Warmth Of The Sun", "Ballad Of Ole Betsy" (during C50), and now "She Loves Me Too Well" are sung by somebody other than Brian. With Brian SITTING RIGHT THERE at the piano, basically doing very little, it kind of has a way of bringing attention to the fact that he (Brian) can no longer do the song justice. It's probably just me, it's an emotional thing, but I'm usually remembering how great the original vocal was - with Brian singing it - and, what's the point of doing the song if Brian ain't singing it. Maybe it would be better if it was left off the setlist? There's so many other songs to choose from. I mean, what if somebody other than Brian sang "Love And Mercy"?

Hey Sheriff;

I have to disagree with you here on a few of your points . I believe the set lists on these "one off" shows are not indicative of what they will be for a full blown tour. These shows basically are good for the band to get together , rehearse for a few days ; utilize the sound checks to start rehearsing some deeper stuff; play before a live audience and shake off the rust, if you will ; without the risk of overexposure; especially with the obvious requirement of an extensive upcoming tour to support not only "No Pier Pressure" but "Love and Mercy " as well. Additionally ; Al Jardine and Brian Eichenberger being onboard may have had a part in sticking to the "meat and potatoes " set list ; they would both have to learn stuff from the BW solo catalogue I would think, and there was probably not enough time to do so.

I also believe that the better attended Brian shows are the ones that have not emphsized the BB hit catologue , but rather the deeper and solo stuff , for example "Pet Sounds" , "SMiLE" , "That Lucky Old Sun' , "Gershwin".  I expect that we will see a significantly different set list on the upcoming tour in support of the new album and the film. I also believe that they played "Love and Mercy " in Long Beach if I am not mistaken; also I have never heard Brian expressing any personal displeasure about the majority of his solo stuff so I don't think for a minute that he has come to the conclusion you stated above .

My opinion is Brian believes his audience wants to hear new stuff, and some deep cuts , as well as the Beach Boys classics; I would bet we will see that reflected in the next full blown tour.   

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »

Responding to Jonathan Blum and Ray Lawlor....

First, Jon...It's interesting that you would refer to the songs "Our Prayer" and "Heroes And Villains" as post-Good Vibrations, considering they were written and recorded within weeks (days?) of "Good Vibrations" and appeared on the same albums (Smiley Smile and The Smile Sessions). Which also brings into question if the fans attending Brian Wilson concerts TODAY actually view those songs as being Brian Wilson solo songs (from BWPS). Is "Good Vibrations" also a BW solo song from BWPS? It's not exactly the same thing, but is "Sloop", "God Only Knows", and "WIBN" performed/introduced as being from Brian Wilson's album - Pet Sounds Live?

Now, for Ray...I'm not necessarily disagreeing but questioning...I wasn't aware that it would take significantly more rehearsing to perform "deeper" cuts or solo selections. Other than Ike, aren't most of the band longtime members and brilliant musicians who could play those songs rather easily?

Maybe my "give the people what they want" comment needs further 'splaining... police I agree that there was a time when there was a demand for different, deeper stuff, like the Pet Sounds Live and BWPS tours. It's hard to believe that it's been over 10 years now since those tours. Again, I'm not disagreeing but asking... but I was under the impression, mostly from reading this board, that since the 2004 BWPS tour, Brian's concert ticket sales have been decreasing or inconsistent at best? I didn't think That Lucky Old Sun or the Disney album had that much appeal for live presentations. Maybe a good way to turn the trend around around was playing the percentages, more Beach Boys' classics?

You said, "I have never heard Brian expressing any personal displeasure about the majority of his solo stuff so I don't think for a minute that he has come to the conclusion you stated above." I'm not sure this is the right thread to ask this but what the heck...Brian has been a solo artist for almost 30 years, which is almost twice as many years that he was active as a Beach Boy. Other than the Pet Sounds Live and BWPS tours - featuring Beach Boys' songs - why do YOU THINK there has been so few BW solo songs performed live, if tours like That Lucky Old Sun and Gershwin were well attended, if in fact you believe there has been so few performed...

EDIT: This isn't directed to Jon or Ray, it's just something I wanted to post originally but forgot...I like to read about Brian's contemporaries like Dylan, McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Paul Simon, etc. And, sometimes they will perform a deeper, rarer song or songs in concert, and, when asked later by an interviewer why they chose to perform those songs, they will answer simply, "I really like those songs" or "I like to sing that song" or "I always liked that song and don't play it enough". I rarely hear or read that with Brian and his solo material. Other than the usual "Love And Mercy" from BW88, "Your Imagination" from Imagination, maybe "Goin' Home" from That Lucky Old Sun, and I don't know what from Gettin' In Over My Head, it's almost like fans are very surprised (shocked?) if Brian played any other solo songs. OK, enough from me, I'm rambling...and probably pissing people off.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:11:21 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »

Hey Sheriff;

I have to disagree with you here on a few of your points . I believe the set lists on these "one off" shows are not indicative of what they will be for a full blown tour. These shows basically are good for the band to get together , rehearse for a few days ; utilize the sound checks to start rehearsing some deeper stuff; play before a live audience and shake off the rust, if you will ; without the risk of overexposure; especially with the obvious requirement of an extensive upcoming tour to support not only "No Pier Pressure" but "Love and Mercy " as well. Additionally ; Al Jardine and Brian Eichenberger being onboard may have had a part in sticking to the "meat and potatoes " set list ; they would both have to learn stuff from the BW solo catalogue I would think, and there was probably not enough time to do so.

I also believe that the better attended Brian shows are the ones that have not emphsized the BB hit catologue , but rather the deeper and solo stuff , for example "Pet Sounds" , "SMiLE" , "That Lucky Old Sun' , "Gershwin".  I expect that we will see a significantly different set list on the upcoming tour in support of the new album and the film. I also believe that they played "Love and Mercy " in Long Beach if I am not mistaken; also I have never heard Brian expressing any personal displeasure about the majority of his solo stuff so I don't think for a minute that he has come to the conclusion you stated above .

My opinion is Brian believes his audience wants to hear new stuff, and some deep cuts , as well as the Beach Boys classics; I would bet we will see that reflected in the next full blown tour.   

Although a tour would be expected next year I don't recall this has been stated yet. Can we take this as confirmation Ray?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »

Forgive my most heinous ignorance, but is "Ike" supposed to be Matt Jardine?  If not, what happened to Matt?

Someone else posted a little while back that Matt Jardine had commented that he was taking some time off to "be with this family" ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18307.msg476833.html#msg476833 )

What's weird is that it looks like Matt Jardine played a gig with "California Surf Incorporated", which is another one of those off-shoot bands made up of various BB backing band guys. The gig was in Folsom, CA on 9/20. It also looks like Probyn Gregory was in the band along with Matt Jardine. The rest of the band included Bobby Figueroa, Billy Hinshce, and Ed Carter. I didn't know Probyn Gregory often kicked around with the Carter/Hinsche/Figueroa "circle." It looks like it's mostly Al Jardine's "Endless Summer" band without Al.

Can anyone confirm if Matt has any plans to tour with Brian in the future? I'm insure if the new guy Ike is the "new guy" going forward. I would imagine it's just as likely they don't know, since they don't have a bunch of imminent tour dates.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:50:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »

I believe I am in the minority in that I'd like to hear Brian delegate MORE leads out to the band members.  It's what he did with BB songs when he wrote them, and I see it as a natural extension of that.  I would've been disappointed @ Long Beach if Darlin' ft. Darian or Sailor ft. Scott had been dropped.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »

I believe I am in the minority in that I'd like to hear Brian delegate MORE leads out to the band members.  It's what he did with BB songs when he wrote them, and I see it as a natural extension of that.  I would've been disappointed @ Long Beach if Darlin' ft. Darian or Sailor ft. Scott had been dropped.

The backing band guys, and many other younger singers, could sing *some* of these songs subjectively "better" (as in, in their original key, etc.). But we don't go to these shows to hear a tribute band.

I think a song here or there is fine. C50 was okay in this regard. They rotated 61 songs in and out of the setlist, and really only had 1-2 songs at most shows where other guys took the lead, and only 4-5 total out of those 61 over the entire tour. They added "Darlin'" later in the tour, and Totten's "Let Him Run Wild" was added after the North American leg and was only performed a hand full of times. I don't even think "Betsy" was done at quite every show. So at a typical show on C50 with 45-50 songs, you had at most 2-3 leads on most nights from other guys.

Also, Al or another BB taking a lead is different in my mind, even if it's a "Brian Wilson" ticket.

But if it's a "Brian Wilson" show and the backing band does half of the leads, then I think at that stage a better solution (though not realistic of course) would be to have Brian do shows singing all the leads, where they simply pick stuff he can still sing well. Then, having the backing band do an off-shoot tribute band where they can take leads.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »

First, Jon...It's interesting that you would refer to the songs "Our Prayer" and "Heroes And Villains" as post-Good Vibrations, considering they were written and recorded within weeks (days?) of "Good Vibrations" and appeared on the same album ("Heroes" on Smiley Smile). Which also brings into question if the fans attending Brian Wilson concerts TODAY actually view those songs as being Brian Wilson solo songs (from BWPS). Is "Good Vibrations" also a BW solo song from BWPS? It's not exactly the same thing, but is "Sloop", "God Only Knows", and "WIBN" performed/introduced as being from Brian Wilson's album - Pet Sounds Live?

Man, if this issue was a cow's arse, you couldn't hit it with a banjo. Or, if it was a barn door, you couldn't shoot it with a shotgun. Or if it was a nail, you couldn't hit it with a car. Or if it was a barrel of tits, you'd come out sucking your thumb.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »

Buuuuuurrrrrrnnnnnn!  Evil

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »

I prefer that some leads are takeny by other members of the band.  BW is not up to singing lead on some of these compositions.,
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »

Forgive my most heinous ignorance, but is "Ike" supposed to be Matt Jardine?  If not, what happened to Matt?

Someone else posted a little while back that Matt Jardine had commented that he was taking some time off to "be with this family" ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18307.msg476833.html#msg476833 )

What's weird is that it looks like Matt Jardine played a gig with "California Surf Incorporated", which is another one of those off-shoot bands made up of various BB backing band guys. The gig was in Folsom, CA on 9/20. It also looks like Probyn Gregory was in the band along with Matt Jardine. The rest of the band included Bobby Figueroa, Billy Hinshce, and Ed Carter. I didn't know Probyn Gregory often kicked around with the Carter/Hinsche/Figueroa "circle." It looks like it's mostly Al Jardine's "Endless Summer" band without Al.

Don't think the "Be with his family" reason flies. Some of these recent Brian/Al gigs In Cali weren't far from Matt's neighborhood. Same with Folsom. Just a hop, skip, and a jump for he and his family to attend just for a few hours. But that's Matt's business, not ours. Though I would rather like to see Matt up there doing falsetto.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »

Responding to Jonathan Blum and Ray Lawlor....

First, Jon...It's interesting that you would refer to the songs "Our Prayer" and "Heroes And Villains" as post-Good Vibrations, considering they were written and recorded within weeks (days?) of "Good Vibrations" and appeared on the same album ("Heroes" on Smiley Smile). Which also brings into question if the fans attending Brian Wilson concerts TODAY actually view those songs as being Brian Wilson solo songs (from BWPS). Is "Good Vibrations" also a BW solo song from BWPS? It's not exactly the same thing, but is "Sloop", "God Only Knows", and "WIBN" performed/introduced as being from Brian Wilson's album - Pet Sounds Live?

Now, for Ray...I'm not necessarily disagreeing but questioning...I wasn't aware that it would take significantly more rehearsing to perform "deeper" cuts or solo selections. Other than Ike, aren't most of the band longtime members and brilliant musicians who could play those songs rather easily?

Maybe my "give the people what they want" comment needs further 'splaining... police I agree that there was a time when there was a demand for different, deeper stuff, like the Pet Sounds Live and BWPS tours. It's hard to believe that it's been over 10 years now since those tours. Again, I'm not disagreeing but asking... but I was under the impression, mostly from reading this board, that since the 2004 BWPS tour, Brian's concert ticket sales have been decreasing or inconsistent at best? I didn't think That Lucky Old Sun or the Disney album had that much appeal for live presentations. Maybe a good way to turn the trend around around was playing the percentages, more Beach Boys' classics?

You said, "I have never heard Brian expressing any personal displeasure about the majority of his solo stuff so I don't think for a minute that he has come to the conclusion you stated above." I'm not sure this is the right thread to ask this but what the heck...Brian has been a solo artist for almost 30 years, which is almost twice as many years that he was active as a Beach Boy. Other than the Pet Sounds Live and BWPS tours - featuring Beach Boys' songs - why do YOU THINK there has been so few BW solo songs performed live, if tours like That Lucky Old Sun and Gershwin were well attended, if in fact you believe there has been so few performed...

OK ; let me answer some of your questions if I can;

Let's see...BW solo songs performed live...

The First Time
This Isnt Love
Love and Mercy
Melt Away
Let it Shine
How Could We Still Be Dancing
Soul Searching
Getting In Over My Head
City Blues
Desert Drive
Your Imagination
South American
Lay Down Burden
Rhapsody in Blue- Gershwin; arr BW
The Like in I Love You- Wilson-Gershwin rewrite Bennett lyrics
Summertime- Gershwin-arr BW
I loves You Porgy- Gershwin- arr BW
It Aint Neccesarily So-Gershwin-arr BW
S'Wonderful- Gershwin-arr BW
They Can't Take That Away From Me-Gershwin-arr BW
Love Is Here To Stay- Gershwin-arr BW
I 've Got a Crush On You- Gershwin- arr BW
I Got Rhythm- Gershwin arr BW
Someone To Watch Over Me- Gershwin- arr BW
Nothing But Love- Wilson-Gershwin rewrite- Bennett lyrics
That Lucky Old Sun- Gillespie-arr BW
Morning Beat
Room With A View-interspersed narrative
Good Kind of Love
Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
Venice Beach- interspersed narrative
Live Let Live
Mexican Girl
Cinco de Mayo- interspersed narrative
California Role
Between Pictures- interspersed narrative
Oxygen To the Brain
Can't Wait Too Long
Midnight's Another Day
Going Home
Southern California
Roll Around Heaven
Caroline, No....does this count as BW solo ?  I have the Capitol 45 that says Brian Wilson ....
I am not going to count BWPS per your comments above.

I would say playing the classics is a requirement ; I mean he did write them. I read posts on this board that say something like " I am not going to drive an extra 25-50 miles to see BW; so I believe , like everything else, the sentiment flows both ways. I also dont think anyone on this board, including me, has any clue about the ticket sales of BW or M & B for that matter.

Finally re rehersals; yes these guys are outstanding musicians; but as this is some very complicated music it definitely requires rehersal; even for guys who have been doing it for years. I say that having been a close observer of this great group of guys for 16 or so years.....they are the best.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »

Just saw Brian, Al and the BW band perform at Carpenter Center in Long Beach. Really great show. I have to say that I visibly saw Brian playing more piano/keyboard than I've ever seen him do in concert. Not sure if that was due to my proximity to the stage and my visual angle, but in any case, Brian was indeed more engaged than I've often seen him before. I also noticed no teleprompter (not sure how long he may have been performing sans teleprompter, if this is news at all or not), but I see this as a good thing. He did flub some lyrics (so did Al), but nevertheless glad to see that BW has the confidence to not always use it.

Also, the new Brian/Ike falsetto was very solid, and to my ears, I do prefer it to Jeff Foskett's falsetto (with all due respect to JF).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:20:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »

Just saw Brian, Al and the BW band perform at Carpenter Center in Long Beach. Really great show. I have to say that I visibly saw Brian playing more piano/keyboard than I've ever seen him do in concert. Not sure if that was due to my proximity to the stage and my visual angle, but in any case, Brian was indeed more engaged than I've often seen him before. I also noticed no teleprompter (not sure how long he may have been performing sans teleprompter, if this is news at all or not), but I see this as a good thing. He did flub some lyrics (so did Al), but nevertheless glad to see that BW has the confidence to not always use it.

Also, the new Brian/Ike falsetto was very solid, and to my ears, I do prefer it to Jeff Foskett's falsetto (with all due respect to JF).

It's always a privilege to see Brian when he's 'on', and I think this schedule of doing shows suits him a lot - a bunch of shows in a row tires you. I mean, he's an old Brian Wilson, this sh*t can't be easy for him. He's finding some balance.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

I also noticed no teleprompter (not sure how long he may have been performing sans teleprompter, if this is news at all or not)

Brian was using a teleprompter for the whole show.  Al forgetting the words to the first verse of Sloop might warrant Al getting in on the teleprompter action for future dates...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx