gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:50:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & Al At The Gallo Arts Center, Modesto, CA 10-09-14  (Read 22213 times)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »

So, last night was the third of three Beach Boys related concerts in a week and a half.  This was my favorite of the three nights.  I had picked some seats online that seemed somewhat close to the stage, but I had no idea until I got there that I was only two rows away from front row seats!  We chatted with a fellow fan who sat next to us... he had flown all the way from Massachusetts to see this concert, and was heading to Brian's next gig in Long Beach afterwards.  And I thought I was a fan for driving an hour and a half...

Once again, the band was just awesome.  There were a few changes in the set list to include more than just the hits, as opposed to the show a week and a half ago at a winery.  A few interesting choices were Prayer before going into Heroes and Villains, and one that surprised me.... "She Knows Me Too Well".  I managed to video about 2/3rds of the song.  

The new guy Brian/Ike handled this one very well.  His falsetto is more subtle and blends in with the group, as opposed to Jeff's more "powerhouse" style of singing.  It reminds me of the way the falsetto singer from the Four Freshman blends vocally, which makes total sense considering Ike's background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVq0Nz62Vfc&feature=youtu.be

And finally, my favorite Brian-ism line of the night, while introducing "Shut Down":

"This is a car song.  It's about a car."

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »

Thank you for the link!

They sound fantastic.  I mean Fan-Tas-Tic... that blend sounds great, I hope some more videos get posted so we can hear how it sounds on the more well known stuff we've heard for so long. 

I like Jeff, and think he has a great voice... I will say though that I always thought Brian's band sounded too sterile for my taste.  Of course all their voices are beautiful but it got to a point where it was very thin sounding, nothing had any passion in it anymore.

This is a step in the right direction, in my opinion.  This guy is singing his fucking head off. 

I know what you're saying about Jeff being more of a 'powerhouse' style, but I never really thought about it like that.  The new guy DOES blend in very well, he sounds remarkably like Brian.

To see the difference, here's a video of Jeff doing it 3 years ago.  In my opinion, the Jeff version is much more thin and bland, whereas this new guy's version is much more exciting, and more true to the original 'spirit' of the song we all know too well Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjN8tTwN6c

I say that with all due respect to Jeff who's certainly a fabulous singer and i'm just comparing two videos.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »

No new songs? Surprising

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »

Thanks for the video Shane. They sound great! I'm in Sacramento and wish I'd been there but couldn't scrounge up $99 plus gas for the drive down 99 to Modesto. Glad you enjoyed it, and please post whatever you've got.
Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »

Would be great if they can add a stack of new and/or rare songs with Brian or Al on lead vocals for future shows.

Hopefully some Youtube clips with those guys singing leads will be added too.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »

Shane wrote:

And finally, my favorite Brian-ism line of the night, while introducing "Shut Down":

"This is a car song.  It's about a car."

That is so funny!

Reminds me of his introduction to 'Let's Go Away For Awhile', RFH London, 2002:

"Now here's an instrumental.

A song without words."

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 04:22:18 AM »

Very nice. One of my favorite Beach Boys songs. I remember during the TLOS Brian and Jeff both sang lead with Brian singing an octave lower (I believe) and it sounded very cool to my ears.
I kinda lost sight.... is this the guy from the Fendertones and is he a permanent part of the band now?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 04:34:10 AM »

Very nice. One of my favorite Beach Boys songs. I remember during the TLOS Brian and Jeff both sang lead with Brian singing an octave lower (I believe) and it sounded very cool to my ears.
I kinda lost sight.... is this the guy from the Fendertones and is he a permanent part of the band now?

He only played one gig I think.

This guy is from The Four Freshman unless I`m getting confused (which is entirely possible).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 04:55:56 AM »

He only played one gig I think.

This guy is from The Four Freshman unless I`m getting confused (which is entirely possible).
No, that's exactly right. Smiley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:05 AM »

So, last night was the third of three Beach Boys related concerts in a week and a half.  This was my favorite of the three nights.  I had picked some seats online that seemed somewhat close to the stage, but I had no idea until I got there that I was only two rows away from front row seats!  We chatted with a fellow fan who sat next to us... he had flown all the way from Massachusetts to see this concert, and was heading to Brian's next gig in Long Beach afterwards.  And I thought I was a fan for driving an hour and a half...

Once again, the band was just awesome.  There were a few changes in the set list to include more than just the hits, as opposed to the show a week and a half ago at a winery.  A few interesting choices were Prayer before going into Heroes and Villains, and one that surprised me.... "She Knows Me Too Well".  I managed to video about 2/3rds of the song.  

The new guy Brian/Ike handled this one very well.  His falsetto is more subtle and blends in with the group, as opposed to Jeff's more "powerhouse" style of singing.  It reminds me of the way the falsetto singer from the Four Freshman blends vocally, which makes total sense considering Ike's background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVq0Nz62Vfc&feature=youtu.be

"This is a car song.  It's about a car."

Any other surprises in the setlist?
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:21:57 AM »

The setlist is here:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2014/gallo-center-for-the-arts-modesto-ca-53ccafa9.html
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »

Thanks!  I wonder why he hasn't been playing Love & Mercy anymore.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »

Thanks for capturing that. That's probably the best version I've heard other than the original.

Seems to me Brian/Ike has that rare quality in his voice where you can't tell when he's switched from full voice to falsetto (and back again), much like our boy in the 60's - and of course Bob Flanigan. Much love to all of the other falsetto guys the BB's and BW have employed over the years, but this guy has GOT IT.

Hope they keep him around for future shows / tours. This is a winning combo right here.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »

Shane, thank you for posting that, especially that song. "Ike" sounded great on the high vocal. As was pointed out, it's the lineage from the Four Freshmen's Bob Flanigan singing those high vocals dating back to the 50's, to Brian Wilson listening and emulating Bob's style from those Freshmen records, to Brian "Ike" singing Flanigan's leads with the current Freshmen, now taking Brian Wilson's high vocal parts in 2014. It's all from the same well of influence and vocal style, a natural progression and a nice blend in the current mix of vocals on stage. Very cool.

There is a clip of Ike with the Freshmen doing "Surfer Girl" that especially in the falsetto part is excellent, and as close to an authentic-sounding version of what it sounded like in 1963 without having a Beach Boy in the mix...IMO. Definitely worth seeking out.  Smiley

I love it when the band pulls out songs like this on stage. Can't wait to hear more!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »

Brian no longer performs Love and Mercy because it is a Brian Wilson song.  These days Brian and band perform only Beach Boys songs.  Seriously, I have no idea why L&M has disappeared from the set list after all these years.  Maybe it's been decided to totally kiss off the Landy era.  Or maybe it's simply because Fun X 3 is a super closer that leaves the audience feeling great and upbeat about the concert they just saw.  And perhaps it's just on hiatus and will be back when the Love & Mercy biopic is officially released.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:32:27 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

I would like to see "Love and Mercy" brought back with the full band arrangement, along with "Melt Away".  I also think a live "Rio Grande" would be a powerful song to do.  In fact they should just do most of that album! Cheesy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 08:54:57 PM »

Brian no longer performs Love and Mercy because it is a Brian Wilson song.  These days Brian and band perform only Beach Boys songs.  Seriously, I have no idea why L&M has disappeared from the set list after all these years.  Maybe it's been decided to totally kiss off the Landy era.  Or maybe it's simply because Fun X 3 is a super closer that leaves the audience feeling great and upbeat about the concert they just saw.  And perhaps it's just on hiatus and will be back when the Love & Mercy biopic is officially released.

Brian did a few solo tracks with Al and Dave last year, including "Your Imagination" and "Goin' Home." I think they just kind of sprang back off of the C50 set list, removing the stuff Mike does that they don't ("Kokomo", "It's OK", etc.).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sneakyflutes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »

Brian no longer performs Love and Mercy because it is a Brian Wilson song.  These days Brian and band perform only Beach Boys songs.  Seriously, I have no idea why L&M has disappeared from the set list after all these years.  Maybe it's been decided to totally kiss off the Landy era.  Or maybe it's simply because Fun X 3 is a super closer that leaves the audience feeling great and upbeat about the concert they just saw.  And perhaps it's just on hiatus and will be back when the Love & Mercy biopic is officially released.

He closed with Love and Mercy tonight. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:16:06 AM by sneakyflutes » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »

Brian no longer performs Love and Mercy because it is a Brian Wilson song.  These days Brian and band perform only Beach Boys songs.  Seriously, I have no idea why L&M has disappeared from the set list after all these years.  Maybe it's been decided to totally kiss off the Landy era.  Or maybe it's simply because Fun X 3 is a super closer that leaves the audience feeling great and upbeat about the concert they just saw.  And perhaps it's just on hiatus and will be back when the Love & Mercy biopic is officially released.

He closed with Love and Mercy tonight. Smiley
Further proof that this board is watched closely!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 04:58:37 AM »

There is a clip of Ike with the Freshmen doing "Surfer Girl" that especially in the falsetto part is excellent, and as close to an authentic-sounding version of what it sounded like in 1963 without having a Beach Boy in the mix...IMO. Definitely worth seeking out.  Smiley

I heard that! I agree, it's freakin' phenomenal.

Not sure what happened to Matt Jardine, but I love how Team BW put some real effort into finding a great GREAT falsetto replacement for Jeff. I'm over here still playing the "She Knows Me Too Well" clip on loop.

Hopefully a clip of "Don't Worry Baby" will pop up soon!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »

Brian should close with Love & Mercy. Every time!

Ike is OK and I agree with the poster who said he's best at blending into the mix of harmonies.

Ike does an OK lead on "She Knows Me Too Well". I also like Jeff''s version. I'd also like to see Randall Kirsch do it, but I'd especially like to see Matt Jardine do it. That song really separates the men from the boys when it comes to falsetto and is not easy to pull off.

Kinda sad for us hardcores that Brian has to do a greatest hits show, but it's understandable - that's what most people came to see him for. But it's really old hat. Onesy twosy "new" songs incorporated into the setlist every few concerts............getting not worth travelling 50 to 100 miles for anymore.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »

Kinda sad for us hardcores that Brian has to do a greatest hits show, but it's understandable - that's what most people came to see him for. But it's really old hat. Onesy twosy "new" songs incorporated into the setlist every few concerts............getting not worth travelling 50 to 100 miles for anymore.

Agreed. But it really is common sense and isn't just limited to Wilson. His closest living analogue is probably McCartney, who is similar: lots of Beatles, lots of Wings, maybe a song or two beyond that. Whatever other artists whose primary successes were in the '60s are still out there, no doubt it's the same or similar situation.

The fact is there are just more people who are more casual fans and who want to hear those (admittedly great hit songs. (They were hits for a reason, after all!) If his band is going to do shows of more obscure music, they'd probably have to book smaller venues and charge three times as much (or some other multiple, I'm making that up) per ticket to come out with similar financial results. And then everyone would complain about that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »

I think there is and perhaps (hopefully) will be a separation between these current shows and what will be staged when the new album comes out. "She Knows Me Too Well" could be an inkling of what might be coming down the road, as the setlists could dig a little deeper and also incorporate whatever new songs will be played to coincide with the new album.

I happen to think Ike doing the falsetto parts is one of the best surprises of the current shows. I keep coming back to the lineage with the Four Freshmen. Consider Ike had to study and learn all of those original Freshmen records and arrangements in order to stage those tours and shows as the Four Freshmen. He had to cover Bob Flanigan's original parts, including phrasing, inflection, tone/style, all of those elements in order to be authentic to the Freshmen "book" of songs. It's the same kind of study and emulation that a young Brian Wilson did in all those hours he spent learning the Freshmen songs, so both he and Ike are drawing from the same well of influence through Bob Flanigan.

If you listen to Brian's falsetto in the 60's, and compare it to Flanigan's vocals, you can hear the influence pretty clear. So bringing in a singer such as Ike who knows the same material and style, it's really adding another layer to the vocal blend on stage. And I think as good as the other singers have been who have covered the falsetto parts in the past 20+ years on stage with Brian, this pairing has that extra something in terms of sound and style that makes it very interesting, with a lot of potential for some great performances and sounds.

I'd *love* to hear Brian tackle a few Freshmen songs on stage with Ike and the band, beyond "Their Hearts..." and other obvious ones. That would be bringing it full-circle in a way.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »

Thanks for capturing that. That's probably the best version I've heard other than the original.

Seems to me Brian/Ike has that rare quality in his voice where you can't tell when he's switched from full voice to falsetto (and back again), much like our boy in the 60's - and of course Bob Flanigan. Much love to all of the other falsetto guys the BB's and BW have employed over the years, but this guy has GOT IT.

The trick is you blend how your "full voice" sounds in the upper register and your falsetto voice so they both match in the overlap.  Some of it is natural talent but it's something you have to practice and develop and you have to have a good ear for how you sound.  Ike happens to have the talent where he can practice a bit and then blend his voice a little differently to sound like Bob or Brian's recordings, or his own original sound.

I happen to think Ike doing the falsetto parts is one of the best surprises of the current shows. I keep coming back to the lineage with the Four Freshmen. Consider Ike had to study and learn all of those original Freshmen records and arrangements in order to stage those tours and shows as the Four Freshmen. He had to cover Bob Flanigan's original parts, including phrasing, inflection, tone/style, all of those elements in order to be authentic to the Freshmen "book" of songs. It's the same kind of study and emulation that a young Brian Wilson did in all those hours he spent learning the Freshmen songs, so both he and Ike are drawing from the same well of influence through Bob Flanigan.

If you listen to Brian's falsetto in the 60's, and compare it to Flanigan's vocals, you can hear the influence pretty clear. So bringing in a singer such as Ike who knows the same material and style, it's really adding another layer to the vocal blend on stage. And I think as good as the other singers have been who have covered the falsetto parts in the past 20+ years on stage with Brian, this pairing has that extra something in terms of sound and style that makes it very interesting, with a lot of potential for some great performances and sounds.

Agreed, it's really exciting.  Add to that he's been arranging, music director etc for the current Four Freshmen so he has that background as well.  Ike's probably the closest thing to a "younger" Brian that they've had.  I'm kinda surprised it's never occurred to them before now to go this route.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »

Who sang lead on She Knows Me too Well? I knew it to be a Jeff lead ever since it was on the setlist back in the mid to late 2000.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx