gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:05:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 25 Years Ago: SMiLE CD T 2580-2  (Read 27711 times)
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2014, 02:01:56 AM »

Now that I have this, I have to ask....  Why the 15-minute "Good Vibrations"?  I mean, surely this was not an official edit?!

Also, I find it funny that 22 years after the album, people still didn't know what "Barnyard" was - two songs are given that title in the track list, one being "With Me Tonight" and the other being "False Barnyard".  (Domenic Priore's book also seems to think that "False Barnyard" is the actual song.)

I mean, did the true identity of "Barnyard" not become known until the demo came out in 1998?

No, it's not an official edit, but remember this was before we got official outtakes of this song on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer or the 30 Years of Good Vibrations box set. If I remember correctly, the only Good Vibrations alternate that we had up until that time was the one played on the 1976 radio special. I'm not 100% sure about this, so don't take that as fact until Andrew or Lee chime in and confirm it. The thing that I find most interesting about those Good Vibrations bits on the T 2580-2 CD, is Carl's lead vocal being faded in and out as if the bootlegger was trying to show he had the multitracks available to him. If Andrew or Lee have anything to say about this, I would love to hear it.   

Regarding Barnyard, the true identity of that track became known when a "Mystery Writer" contributed a section to an early 1990's edition of Endless Summer Quarterly. All of my ESQ issues are packed away after a move or else I could tell you exactly which issue it was. I think Lee may have known this writer personally, and could probably tell you all about that.  Wink

Lee to center stage please, Lee to center stage.

Royce (Hi Lee  Smiley)

P.S. Lazenby, may I ask how old you are, and when and how you first got into SMiLE? I'm just looking for some context to help me with our future conversations!

Correct - the clips from the 1976 radio special were "it" until this CD came out. As for fading Carl's vocal in and out... that's likely how the master was - remember, Brian punched in for Carl on the highs: you can hear it clearly in the released 45.

Thanks, Andrew!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
hardylane
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:38 PM »

And I'd even put the Anne Wallace mono mix of Smile before a couple of others (even though there's no label for it).

That mix was released via my old website back in the day.... it was never pressed by me... but it was subsequently found on other boots, funnily enough!

Think I did it in 1997.

Annie
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2014, 12:01:55 AM »

Hi Annie ,
I just wanted to thank you for that SMiLE mix. That version of Surf's Up is STILL my favorite and the one I always use on my SMiLE mixes.

Royce Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2014, 05:49:30 AM »

On the SoT Smile discs (and briefly on the TSS set) there's a session for False Barnyard that kicks off with the musicians playing the tune far more slowly, plucking strings…

Pom-Pom pa dom-pa-dom pa-dom-pa-dom-pa-dom-pa-dom…

First time I heard that I could picture Brian's chicks in tennis shoes …
But then he speeds it up, cuts out the plucking and changes the rhythm to what we now regard as FBarnyard. But that intial plucked version is one of my favourite Smile exquisities.

“We live in divisive times.”
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »

I love that track too John!  Smiley The first time I heard it I thought, why didn't he leave it like that?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:15:34 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »

The first time I heard it I thought, why didn't he leave it like that?

This! In the version of Smile that exists in my cranial jukebox, this excerpt survived the maelstrom.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2014, 09:18:49 AM »

So, is there a really clean version of this, meaning the pizzicato strings rehearsal? I, too, love this and would like to include it on my own comp...the one I do have is only in mediocre fidelity.
hardylane
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »

Hi Annie ,
I just wanted to thank you for that SMiLE mix. That version of Surf's Up is STILL my favorite and the one I always use on my SMiLE mixes.

Royce Smiley

You're very welcome. It was all just done for fun, a long time ago. I'm amazed people still like it Smiley

Annie
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »

I remember getting on the internet about 1996 or 1997. There were VERY few Beach Boys message boards then. Somebody on the PSML said something about a "Green Mansions" board run by someone in the UK. It was there (after wading through all the humor) that I got wind of a SMiLE album mono mix, compiled by Anne Wallace. One of the very first SMiLE fan mixes I ever picked up if not THE first. It was pretty popular; a revelation almost, after all the Smile bootlegs up until then. Anne was like the UK version of Alice Lillie - a pioneer in Beach Boys fandom.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:34:48 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hardylane
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:06 AM »

I remember getting on the internet about 1996 or 1997. There were VERY few Beach Boys message boards then. Somebody on the PSML said something about a "Green Mansions" board run by someone in the UK. It was there (after wading through all the humor) that I got wind of a SMiLE album mono mix, compiled by Anne Wallace. One of the very first SMiLE fan mixes I ever picked up if not THE first. It was pretty popular; a revelation almost, after all the Smile bootlegs up until then. Anne was like the UK version of Alice Lillie - a pioneer in Beach Boys fandom.  Cheesy

When I started Web Sounds, I was just a keen fan, wanting to join in with the online community. I gradually discovered Smile through a bootleg or two and some other rare tracks. It infuriated me that this music was not out there, being appreciated... that you had to track it down.

So I created the Smile section, which was high quality downloadable MP3s of the album, remixed and assembled by me, free for download, accompanied by Dave Prokopy's original liner notes.

Of course these days, I'd have been shut down in an instant! But somehow it survived long enough to get out to a lot more people. I'm very glad it did. It served its purpose at the time.

Seeing my name mentioned in relation to my mixes is quite surprising, as I haven't thought about it for years! Smiley

Annie
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »

Anne, for some reason I neglected to add your SMiLE CD to our definitive list of Smile boots. I know you didn't assign numbers or labels to your comp, but what year would you say that you finished and "released" it?  I'll add it to the definitive list that Barnyard2 compiled.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »

I sincerely WISH that I could have enjoyed the experience of hearing this Smile material back in 1989...25 years ago.  But...no.  I'd have to wait until Brian presented it and then went back and 'finished' the original works [while adding in some unfinished business]

I had interviewed both Peter Noone and Danny Hutton on separate occasions during the mid 80s and BOTH of them told me that they had Smile on tape.  Try as I might...without being a dink about it...there was NO way that either of these gentlemen were going to sabotage Brian or their insider connections just to satiate my ears.  So like many...I just waited.  The only pre-conceived notions I had were based on what I'd read and what I had on vinyl and on cd...and over time I did manage to piece something together which came nowhere NEAR the finished product.  But it was fun doin' it.

Not knowing much at all made the audio realizations of the two versions officially released over these past 10 years [or so] pretty blinkin' MAGICAL though. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
hardylane
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

Anne, for some reason I neglected to add your SMiLE CD to our definitive list of Smile boots. I know you didn't assign numbers or labels to your comp, but what year would you say that you finished and "released" it?  I'll add it to the definitive list that Barnyard2 compiled.

The Smile pages, and the Surf's Up mix were, I think, 1997. I then did a Beach Boys Smile remix in 2004 based upon Brian's Smile release, and included perhaps ill-judged MIDI music to fill in the new pieces.

Since then I've abandoned MIDI work and concentrate on my own music, which is at beresfordandwallace.com

Increasing ticket prices, and limited concert appearances mean that I haven't seen a Beach Boy live for ten years.

Annie
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »

Good to see you on the board, Annie.  Twood be nice if you posted here more often. Are you going to try to make it to the Stomp Convention on September 19th 2015?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2014, 05:55:14 AM »

Smile (T 2580-2)

01. Good Vibrations
02. Holiday (Look) (Song For Children)
03. Vegetables
04. Child is Father to the Man
05. Wonderful (no lead vocal, cold ending, no fade)
06. Been Way Too Long (intro not found on any other SMiLE boot unless it was copied from here) (my favorite version of this track)
07. Barnyard ("With Me Tonight" slow harpsichord version. Fades out before lead vocal starts)
08. Cabinessence (backing track for verses with doyne, doyne background vocals. Full vocals for 1st "Iron Horse". No Grand Coulee Dam section.)
09. Our Prayer (with 1968 overdubs and laughing at the end)
10. Tones ("Holiday")
11. Barnyard ("H&V Cantina Fade" with a tiny bit of tape explosion at the beginning)
12. Heroes and Villains (7 minutes of H&V sections)
13. Do You Like Worms?
14. Wind Chimes
15. Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow (with H&V intro at the beginning)
16. George Fell Into His French Horn
17. Surf’s Up (backing track followed by Brian's 1966 solo studio version)
18. The Old Master Painter
19. You Are My Sunshine
20. Cool, Cool Water

Total playing Time: 61.44

That's a pretty cool listen.  I compiled a real quick playlist from the SMiLE Sessions Box, approximating the above tracklist -- very nice indeed.  Always refreshing to hear a different take on it.  There's a nice flow here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »

The first track is well over ten minutes - it's not a straight version of "GV". Session outtakes and the like. Fascinating. You get Carl cutting his lead on the first verse, complete w/a Brian-shaped gap.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2014, 11:21:46 PM »

The first track is well over ten minutes - it's not a straight version of "GV". Session outtakes and the like. Fascinating. You get Carl cutting his lead on the first verse, complete w/a Brian-shaped gap.  Smiley

Not the first time I've asked this but don't think I've ever had an answer so I'll try again here…

Was there a similar Brian/Carl sharing of the same line(s) in Cabinessence?

Eg
Carl: I'll give you a…
Brian: … home on the range.

Carl: … and witness our…
Brian: … home, on the range.

Has always sounded that way to me.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx