gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:44:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 25 Years Ago: SMiLE CD T 2580-2  (Read 27710 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »

I'd love to hear this CD somehow!!  Hint hint.

Here's how:

1 - borrow a TARDIS.

2 - go back to 1989.

3 - buy one.

Thank me later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 11:34:25 PM »

I'd love to hear this CD somehow!!  Hint hint.

Here's how:

1 - borrow a TARDIS.

2 - go back to 1989.

3 - buy one.

Thank me later.

This is ridiculous and very unfair. The Timelords and their Tardises are currently trapped in a kind of alter-sync stasis field and borrowing a Tardis would be nigh-on impossible. There's that single Type 40 seen in the weekly documentary of course, and I like to think that K’anpo Rimpoche's Cho Je incarnation might still be hiding in the Himalaya, probably with his own Tardis nearby. But we're not talking Hertz car rental here…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »

Surely the plural of TARDIS should be TARDII ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:05:18 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »

AGD, are you a time lord?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »

I think Phil Cohen was a Dalek or cyberman.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »

LOL
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:32:51 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2014, 11:38:06 PM »

AGD, are you a time lord?

Who knows...  Wink

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »

If it was "TARDIUS", then the plural would be "TARDII". The plural of "TARDIS" of course is "TARDISSISSES" or sumpin lak that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »

It's pretty bad when someone offers me a free copy along with a "Sorry you got so many smart-ass replies."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »

Aw shucks...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »

It's pretty bad when someone offers me a free copy along with a "Sorry you got so many smart-ass replies."

Welcome to Smiley Smile.  Grin

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »

That was very kind of someone.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:51:43 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »

I'd love to hear this CD somehow!!  Hint hint.

Here's how:

1 - borrow a TARDIS.

2 - go back to 1989.

3 - buy one.

Thank me later.

I was going to say set it to December 22, 2005 - the day before the board rules banning requests for copies of bootleg material were put in place.  Smiley

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.0.html

Lee
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »

No, only second-declension masculine nouns ending in "-us" are pluralized by changing it to "-i."

"Tardis," however, is either a third- or fourth-declension. Might be pluralized as "tardes" depending on what declension it is, and if it's an I-stem, etc. And that's assuming NOMINATIVE case, as well.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »

Logopolis episode 4:

MASTER: Doctor, we must form a plan. I propose one, we withdraw to a position of temporary security. Two, we reconfigure our two Tardises into time cone inverters. Three, we create a stable safe zone by applying temporal inversion isometry to as much of space-time as we can isolate.
TEGAN: Look!
(The Monitor fades away before their eyes.)
MASTER: Horrible.
TEGAN: Hardly more horrible than shrinking people.
MASTER: No. Do what you like, Doctor. Logopolis is yours.
TEGAN: Doctor, stop him. He's getting away.
DOCTOR: No, no, no, no, listen. Reconfigure the two Tardises into time cone inverters? It would work. What a brilliant mind.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »

No, only second-declension masculine nouns ending in "-us" are pluralized by changing it to "-i."

"Tardis," however, is either a third- or fourth-declension. Might be pluralized as "tardes" depending on what declension it is, and if it's an I-stem, etc. And that's assuming NOMINATIVE case, as well.

You are, of course, assuming (quite erroneously) that Gallifreyian grammar follows terrestrial rules.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 03:49:42 PM »

AGD IS A TIMELORD! Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »

You are, of course, assuming (quite erroneously) that Gallifreyian grammar follows terrestrial rules.  Grin

Bleedin' eck, even Thals and Kaleds speak the Queen's English.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »

Bleedin' eck, even Thals and Kaleds speak the Queen's English.

Ah, that's what they want you to think...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »

Where is earcandy to photoshop AGD into a Dr. Who scene? Wink

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

Now that I have this, I have to ask....  Why the 15-minute "Good Vibrations"?  I mean, surely this was not an official edit?!

Also, I find it funny that 22 years after the album, people still didn't know what "Barnyard" was - two songs are given that title in the track list, one being "With Me Tonight" and the other being "False Barnyard".  (Domenic Priore's book also seems to think that "False Barnyard" is the actual song.)

I mean, did the true identity of "Barnyard" not become known until the demo came out in 1998?
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »

Now that I have this, I have to ask....  Why the 15-minute "Good Vibrations"?  I mean, surely this was not an official edit?!

Also, I find it funny that 22 years after the album, people still didn't know what "Barnyard" was - two songs are given that title in the track list, one being "With Me Tonight" and the other being "False Barnyard".  (Domenic Priore's book also seems to think that "False Barnyard" is the actual song.)

I mean, did the true identity of "Barnyard" not become known until the demo came out in 1998?

No, it's not an official edit, but remember this was before we got official outtakes of this song on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer or the 30 Years of Good Vibrations box set. If I remember correctly, the only Good Vibrations alternate that we had up until that time was the one played on the 1976 radio special. I'm not 100% sure about this, so don't take that as fact until Andrew or Lee chime in and confirm it. The thing that I find most interesting about those Good Vibrations bits on the T 2580-2 CD, is Carl's lead vocal being faded in and out as if the bootlegger was trying to show he had the multitracks available to him. If Andrew or Lee have anything to say about this, I would love to hear it.   

Regarding Barnyard, the true identity of that track became known when a "Mystery Writer" contributed a section to an early 1990's edition of Endless Summer Quarterly. All of my ESQ issues are packed away after a move or else I could tell you exactly which issue it was. I think Lee may have known this writer personally, and could probably tell you all about that.  Wink

Lee to center stage please, Lee to center stage.

Royce (Hi Lee  Smiley)

P.S. Lazenby, may I ask how old you are, and when and how you first got into SMiLE? I'm just looking for some context to help me with our future conversations!

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »

27, and my introduction to Smile was buying BWPS about a year after its release - mainly because I wanted to know what the "big deal" was with it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »

No, it's not an official edit, but remember this was before we got official outtakes of this song on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer or the 30 Years of Good Vibrations box set. If I remember correctly, the only Good Vibrations alternate that we had up until that time was the one played on the 1976 radio special. I'm not 100% sure about this, so don't take that as fact until Andrew or Lee chime in and confirm it. The thing that I find most interesting about those Good Vibrations bits on the T 2580-2 CD, is Carl's lead vocal being faded in and out as if the bootlegger was trying to show he had the multitracks available to him. If Andrew or Lee have anything to say about this, I would love to hear it.   

Regarding Barnyard, the true identity of that track became known when a "Mystery Writer" contributed a section to an early 1990's edition of Endless Summer Quarterly. All of my ESQ issues are packed away after a move or else I could tell you exactly which issue it was. I think Lee may have known this writer personally, and could probably tell you all about that.  Wink

Lee to center stage please, Lee to center stage.

Royce (Hi Lee  Smiley)

P.S. Lazenby, may I ask how old you are, and when and how you first got into SMiLE? I'm just looking for some context to help me with our future conversations!

Correct - the clips from the 1976 radio special were "it" until this CD came out. As for fading Carl's vocal in and out... that's likely how the master was - remember, Brian punched in for Carl on the highs: you can hear it clearly in the released 45.

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »

27, and my introduction to Smile was buying BWPS about a year after its release - mainly because I wanted to know what the "big deal" was with it.

Thanks, Lazenby, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm so happy for you that you didn't have to go through what a lot of us here did in regards to trying to piece together SMiLE. First we had to grab the scattered tracks from their LPs (Smiley, Wild Honey, 20/20, Surf's Up) and even though these weren't the full on SMiLE versions of these songs, this was as close as we could get as of 1971. Then nothing until that 1976 radio special when we got the aforementioned Good Vibrations material. Then in the late 70s, copies of the Jeff Deutch/Byron Preiss cassette tape began making it's way around (NOT by Jeff or Byron, but Brad Elliott) but only in a small circle of connected collectors. The rest of us had to wait until 1983 when material from that tape appeared as the 1st SMiLE boot LP. Then in 1985, the 2nd SMiLE boot LP was released, and was the 1st time we heard "Wonderful" on the harpsichord with Brian singing. Then nothing really "new" until the 1989 T 2580-2 CD you have now. It was a long, tantalizing period to wait to hear SMiLE (or a lot of it, anyway) but as you know, well worth the wait.

In regards to the track intended for "Barnyard", I have my own theory. Though there was a track recorded for "Barnyard" (that included faux animal sounds) on October 20, (same day as the H&V verse tracking was recorded) I believe that by the time Brian demoed H&V for DJ "Humble Harv" Miller on November 04, it was the "False Barnyard" feel Brian was hearing in his head when he played the "Barnyard" section of the demo and it was that feel that the lyrics were written for. Some might say, but that track wouldn't be recorded for 10 more days at that point. They would be correct. At that point though, Brian was closer to the tracking date for "My Only Sunshine" (November 14th) than he was to the previous tracking date for "Barnyard" (October 20th)

You usually conceive something BEFORE you book studio time, or at least have some idea of what you're going to do in your mind before you show up at the studio. That combined with the fact that Brian was just one of many using that studio, and would have to take the next available opening, makes it possible that "False Barnyard" was already in his head before he recorded it. Also, the only SMiLE era mix of H&V done by Brian, has "False Barnyard" as the outro/fade. As if that wasn't enough, we find Brian re-recording the H&V fade on February 28, 1967 and it has the same "feel" as "False Barnyard".

In Jules Siegel's  article "Goodbye Surfing, Hello God" he describes Barnyard like this: "civilized chickens bobbed up and down in a tiny ballet of comic Barnyard melody"

In Michael Vosse's 1967 Teen Set article he says: Brian sits in his bedroom playing the background track to "Heroes and Villains" for a reporter from New York. As the Barnyard section comes over the speaker Brian leaps off his bed. "I'VE GOT IT!"

He laughs and jumps into the center of the room.

"It's a color short. 16 mm. I'll shoot it. Next week. It's a chicken, and the chicken is wearing TENNIS SHOES. The chicken is wearing tennis shoes and he is bopping around the most beautiful pad. Paul Robbins' pad. Somebody get Robbins on the phone. We've got to shoot it next week!"

How does he do it?

Suffice to say, he does it!
-------------------------

Now, which track does that sound more like to you?, "Barnyard" or "False Barnyard"?

I don't think "Barnyard" sounds anywhere near as comical as "False Barnyard" does.

I created a more fleshed out version of the H&V demo just to see what it would sound like, and lo and behold the "Barnyard" section (using "False Barnyard" as the track) turned out beautifully. Much more "musical" and "rhythmic" than the clumsy version on disc 1 of the SMiLE Sessions, AND the piano from the demo is no longer a problem, and actually WORKS with it.

PM me if anyone wants to hear it.

Now, none of this is backed up by evidence, it's just a feeling I have.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:49:02 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx