gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:09:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 25 Years Ago: SMiLE CD T 2580-2  (Read 27708 times)
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 03:43:26 AM »

Your opening post brings back wonderful memories... I was going through a very difficult period in my life then (1989/1990). But I still enjoyed reading Goldmine, it wasn't carried by any normal Dutch magazine seller, but my record retailer had a subscription, and therefore I could get one of the two copies he received each month on a regular basis.

I recall there was a Beach Boys special (IIRC the first round of two-fers was announced), and it had this SMiLE CD from Japan in the reviews section. Five stars and a description of its duration and its contents.

I was blown away. For weeks on end I had just one thought: boots are the work of the devil and I am not allowed to purchase, let alone play such a satanic thing.

But my OCD forced me to visit a record fair in Amsterdam. I tried to skip all racks with BBs stuff, to no avail. God is my witness that I tried to resist temptation with all my might.

Then I saw a stall from a German seller, I still know his name, after 24 years: Norbert Morawitz.

There was that CD divider that read: Beach Boys.

I tried to run out of the building, to pay a visit to the nearest church.

The OCD decided otherwise. My right arm had taken on a life all of its own (much as an addict reaches for the bottle, against his will). I browsed. I found the item we speak of here. It cost 100 Dutch guilders, and that was not abnormal.

I bought it, much to my ethical chagrin.

Seated in the train home, I tried to throw this CD out of the window, many times.

I did not succeed.

At home, I reached for a cigarette lighter, to render the CD unplayable. The lighter wouln't work. It was empty.

So I gave in, and played the d*mn thing.

And got an aural orgasm.

(To all legal parties: this account is fictional in nature. It's the privilege of any writer.)

Sorry to hear that things weren't going so well then. I hope things are much better now.  Smiley

I used to pick up my copies of Goldmine at my local record store too....I miss those days.
I think I remember the issue you're talking about. It was yellow and had Crosby, Stills and Nash (porch photo) on the cover.
Inside was a whole 2 or 3 page article about The Beach Boys on CD. I still have my copy.

We all understand that you didn't really want to buy it, and commend your efforts to do away with the evil item that followed you home. That it jumped into your CD player when you were reaching for the cigarette lighter, is not your fault. Forgive yourself and go in peace my son.  Wink 2

Great post Don!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »

^^^^ Thank you, Tricycle Rider!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »

Don, hopefully your sense of guilt diminished somewhat after Capitol were asking people to share their bootleg stories and post pictures as part of the promotion for the "Smile Sessions" box. Grin
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »

I had a re-boot of this on a label called Red Robin.   Anyone else have that?

Previous to that I ordered the original 2-CD set from Dave Prokopy.  He wrote back to say he'd send it as soon as he could but his tape deck was in the shop!  We all know how long electronics repairs take.  It was literally four or five months of waiting.  I vividly remember the first listen, at work.  At that point all I had was the GV box material and the pitiful Early Years offering.  A great day that was!

"I experimented myself right out of action."
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 03:53:53 AM »

Inspired by Mikie's list, I've put together a "definitive" Smile boots list. I'm not sure about all the years, so any comments or corrections are welcomed  Smiley :

1978/’79 – The "Priess tape".
1983 - SMILE (Brother Records ST 2580) [Vinyl]
1985 - SMILE (second edition) (BROTHER ST 2580) [Vinyl]
1988 - Mark Linett SMiLE cassette
1989 - The SMILE Era Outtakes (QUALITY COMPACT PRODUCTIONS QCP 67001)
1989 - SMILE (T 2580-2) [sourced from the "Linett tape"]
1989 - The Early Years - The Beach Boys SMILE (SPA02-CD 3317)
1989 - Beach Boys Smile (Sphinx SX CD 008)
1990 - Beach Boys SMILE [2 LP's]
1990 - SMILE (Bits And Pieces) (GEMA T 2580-2/3) [2-CD]
1990 - Alive and Smiling (Sphinx SX CD 010)
1990 - Good Vibrations: Smile (Sphinx SX CD 011)
1990 - The Alternative Smile Collection (Smile 9212)
1991 - Brian Wilson - Smile (Chapter One Digital Recordings CO 25145)
1992 - Good Vibrations - Smile (Luna Records LU 9207)
1993 - Dave Prokopy SMiLE 2 tape set
1993 - SMiLE (Vigotone ST-9002) [3-LP Colored Vinyl]
1993 - Rockin' Rarities (GEMA HB 002)
1993 - SMiLE (Vigotone Vigo-110/111) [2-CD]
1995 - Long Lost Surf Songs Vol. 2 (Silver Rarities SIRA 150)
1995 - Dave Prokopy SMiLE 3 tape set
1996 - Dave Prokopy SMiLE 3 tape set [June 1996]
1998 - Heroes And Vibrations (Vigotone VT-163)
1998 - Smile (Wilson records BB 001) [in LP replica sleeve]
1998 - SMILE (Magik Unikorn Music)
1998 - SMILE and SMILEY (SMI-MAI)
1999 - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 15 (1966) Good Vibrations (Sea of Tunes C9946/47/48) [3-CD]
1999 - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 16 (1966-1967) Smile (Sea of Tunes C9949)
1999 - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 (1966-1967) Smile Sessions (Sea of Tunes C9950/51/52) [3-CD]
1999 - Heroes And Villains Sessions Parts 1 & 2 (Wilson Records SURF 001)
2000 - SMILE (Millenium Edition) (Dumb Angel Records DAR-001)
2001 - Archaeology (Picaresque Records PIC-0001/2/3) [3-CD]
2001 - Project SMiLE [CD-ROM]
2001 - Make A SMiLE (BBS 1971)
2001 - Smile (BB5-528)
2002 - SMiLE (Odeon ST-9002)
2002 - SMiLE (MOJO Version)
2003 - SMiLE (Sea of Tunes LP001) [Vinyl]
2004 - Secret SMiLE
2005 - Smile - A Reconstruction (Purple Chick PC-66)
2006 - SMiLE Sessions - The Sea Of Tunes Source Tape (CMYK 1971-103)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:51:10 PM by Barnyard2 » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 04:08:53 AM »

One of the Lost Surf Songs discs was the first airing of the Only Sunshine version o the False Barnyard fade, I believe…

“We live in divisive times.”
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 04:36:33 AM »

One of the Lost Surf Songs discs was the first airing of the Only Sunshine version o the False Barnyard fade, I believe…

Ok. Added to the list.
It has Good Vibrations instrumental tracks from Best Summer Of Our Lives 1976 radio special, Heroes & Villains and Barnyard fade.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:38:16 AM by Barnyard2 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »

My cat had to get in on the celebration of 25 years, Smile T 2580 on CD.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »

Out of the fire and into the litter box?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

I also have this Smile T2580 but it came in a card sleeve (like a mini lp) and has a bonus CD of some more Smile stuff.  The discs look pretty generic and say "Golden Archive" volumes 7 and 8 on the disc.  They are also blue in colour.  It has the same card insert with the tracklist.  Again, no mention of who pressed it.  Anyone else seen this version?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »

Then I saw a stall from a German seller, I still know his name, after 24 years: Norbert Morawitz.

Naturally, you blame a German for you buying it. Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »

(Once again....in 1993 Prokopy had a 2-tape Smile set! Don't forget that in your discogs!)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 02:52:36 PM »

(Once again....in 1993 Prokopy had a 2-tape Smile set! Don't forget that in your discogs!)

Added to the list.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »

Here's a thing: I think it was 2004 - someone out together a CD boot based on the BWPS tracklist but BBs tracks. THe CD itself was printed up as a Capitol rainbow edged label Lp, and the sleeve was a hand-made Lp-style card sleeve, complete with miniature Smkle booklet and (I think) an anti-static sleeve. No new music, but a miniature work of art.

I'd forgotten it until now but I must go back and compare it with TSS disc 1.

Each was, as alluded, made individually and felt to me like a work of art.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »

I remember this boot well - it completely blew my mind.  Wind Chimes especially, the first release of the Smile version.

I struggled to find this after reading about it in ICE - a friend of mine scoured the New York boot shops to no avail.  Finally a friend of mine found it for $50 at a Beach Boys convention in California.  He left after purchasing it, missing a surprise appearance and performance by one . . . Brian Wilson!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »

I remember this boot well - it completely blew my mind.  Wind Chimes especially, the first release of the Smile version.

I struggled to find this after reading about it in ICE - a friend of mine scoured the New York boot shops to no avail.  Finally a friend of mine found it for $50 at a Beach Boys convention in California.  He left after purchasing it, missing a surprise appearance and performance by one . . . Brian Wilson!

Your friend sure missed Brian Wilson at the BB convention at the Handlery Hotel in July, 1990! How could someone leave early when the place was buzzin' with rumors even before he showed up and played some songs and signed autographs?  Cheesy  I met Landy that day. Not many would talk to him but I did. He told Sweet Insanity was going to "blow Brian Wilson 88 away". We never found out.

Rockin' Rarities (GEMA HB 002), Long Lost Surf Songs Vol. 2, SMiLE and SMILEY might be reaching juuuust a little bit as being definitive Smile CD's. And I'd even put the Anne Wallace mono mix of Smile before a couple of others (even though there's no label for it). Things like the Mojo mix of Smile aren't any different than some of the Smile fan mixes, like Mok or JMZ or others.

And don't forget this one! Brian Wilson – Smile (Chapter One Digital Recordings # CO 25145) It's a picture disc with a Smile fold-out cover.

I never did pick up the 3 colored vinyl singles or the vinyl pressing of the Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters Vol.16. Smile source tape? I can't tell much of a difference between that and SOT 16 and 17.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »

You know, there's nothing like having a Bicyclerider and a Tricyclerider on the same thread. All we need is a Unicyclerider posting here and we're set!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

And Quadcyclerider!

Smile source tape did have some fragments of takes and take slates edited out of Sea of Tunes.  Nothing major, but for the OCD completists . . . 
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »

Has anybody made a list of what bits from the SMiLE Source Tape are not on the Sea Of Tunes sets?

Better yet, has anybody made a list of what bits from Sea Of Tunes, Heroes And Vibrations, and Archeology aren't on the 2011 SMiLE Sessions 5 CD box set?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:31:56 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »

Betterbetterbetter yet, has anyone made a list of still-unreleased Smile material that we know absolutely nothing about, not even if it exists at all ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »

Betterbetterbetter yet, has anyone made a list of still-unreleased Smile material that we know absolutely nothing about, not even if it exists at all ?

I made just such a list and keep it in a soundcloud

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »

Is AGD trying to dethrone Bgas as the King of Smartassdom? 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »

Bgas isn't a smartass, he is a hard working guy. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »

I'd love to hear this CD somehow!!  Hint hint.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »

Air and Earth?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx