gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:09:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listening Project: Week 7: Music From a Painted Cave by Robert Mirabal  (Read 37876 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:42 AM »

Fun choice. Can I make a suggestion that each album gets its own thread though? Might help things from getting jumbled, especially if anyone weighs in late on albums (which seems increasingly likely as we move on).

That said, not a big deal. Just a thought.

I look fed to weighing in on this.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »

Fun choice. Can I make a suggestion that each album gets its own thread though? Might help things from getting jumbled, especially if anyone weighs in late on albums (which seems increasingly likely as we move on).

That said, not a big deal. Just a thought.

I look fed to weighing in on this.

I think we should keep it all in one so everything is under one roof and past albums are readily available.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

I know I'm a little behind but I just got around to listen to Morphine's Yes - and so far I like what I'm hearing. Elvis for record #2 is quite something, too!

EDIT: Sexy saxophone jazzrock....

EDIT: Quite interesting, sonically. Not my cup of tea in the long run, though. I feel I don't 'get' much of it.

EDIT: All in all it was an interesting experience, all things considered. Thank you! Closing track is running now, I like it quite a bit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:35:01 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »

Yep, I'm also behind. I shall catch up and continue to update this post.
I think having a saxophone being the lead instrument in a rock power-trio is a novel idea, but I am unsure if it will work across an entire album.

I think "Honey White" was a good idea to kick off the album, it's probably a good example of what this sort of group is capable of. It's a fun, punchy song.
"Scratch" sounds a little too 90's for me, although I guess I'll have to get used to that. It's sort of just a drag after "Honey White."
"Radar" is pretty cool. Nice saxophone riffs, kinda ominous. The spoken bits are a little awkward, though. It seems like something you would think of, try it out, and then ditch it after playing it back.
"Whisper" was a bit murky and forgettable. The sax seemed totally out of place at certain points. It was like listening to grunge with smooth jazz on top of it and I just got confused.

I'm sort of getting the feeling that I'm just listening to one really long song.

I'll be honest - me and the 90's don't get along well.

"The Jury" is interesting... Not really much of a song. "Sharks" is pretty much the same thing (as in: nothing). The instrumental freak-out bits are cool.
"Free Love" is pretty cool. Very sinister feel to it, although I think I might prefer a different singer.
"Gone for Good" is nice, but it feels sorta out of place. Like I said, I would probably like it a bit more if it had a different singer, although I can see how someone would like his singing and find his delivery on this song very emotional. I feel like he could have done something a little more interesting with the guitar, but maybe that's the point.

In the end, I wouldn't consider myself a fan. The songs just across this one album were very similar (but maybe that's a lack of familiarity) and I can't imagine I would be too interested in hearing their other songs on offer. On to Elvis!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:13:06 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »

Some people--including several on this board and the one other I frequent--know a sh*t-ton about Elvis. I'm not one of those people. I heard some Elvis listening to my parents' record collection in the late '70s and early '80s and a little bit more from some cassettes my older brothers inexplicably bought in the early '90s. (They weren't really Elvis fans and there was nothing cool about buying what I think in hindsight were bargain-price collections, mostly of '70s live material. I was listening to Poison and GnR. I was so cool. Damn, I'm cool.)

From Elvis in Memphis is right between what my parents enjoyed and what my older brothers purchased (and seemingly enjoyed). It's not 1956, sex-god Elvis, but neither is it big-banded, leisure-suited Elvis. My first knowledge of these songs came from live renditions on the aforementioned brothers' cassettes; my first knowledge of this album--and its companion Back in Memphis--is from a 2009 compilation with those two albums plus an assortment of singles and bonus tracks.

All of that is context. You don't care.

My first reaction to this choice was, "great!" My second was, "wait, which one is that?"

Sadly, it's not the one I hoped. I like this album but I do not love it. I prefer Back in Memphis, which has material I find stronger. That said …

"Wearin' That Loved On Look" is almost a flat-out, all-time classic song. It's funky rock 'n' roll that suffers to my ears only by a mix that isn't as ballsy as it could be. As with any Elvis song, it almost starts and ends with the vocal, and as I have ingrained into my mind from some documentary or other, "the one thing he never lost was that beautiful voice." f***, Elvis Presley could sing. He might be among the most criminally underrated singers in rock history at the moment, as he seems to have faded out of fashion among much of the current population (many of whom are, like me, far too young to actually remember him at all, much less in his prime).

But this song cooks. Its beat is great, propulsive. The guitar licks are great. The organ sounds good. The bass is bouncing. There's just something about how it doesn't seem to come together, especially as Elvis joins the background singers in the "shoop shop" bits. It's nit picky, but that's how I feel: the song was a great mix away from being a stone cold classic.

After that the album loses steam to my ears. "In the Ghetto" is great, if saccharine, though I'd take the punchier single. I like "I'm Movin' On" and the steamy "Power of my Love," sadly sequenced well into the album. "Gentle On My Mind" and "Long Black Limousine" are beautiful. "Any Day Now" is a great combination of styles, bringing the motion of and tempo of rock and roll with a nice string and background vocal arrangement (to say nothing of, yes, a stellar vocal).

All in all, the album is too ballad-heavy for me. Don't get me wrong: when you have a singer like Elvis, I understand that you let him sing. And his ballads no doubt made the female fans open their pocketbooks along with their, uh … well suffice to say even I find the guy sexy, and I'm straight. I mean, seriously. So I get it.

The next album brings "Inherit the Wind," "Stranger in My Own Home Town," and my beloved "This is the Story," which has a wicked chord change that struck me on first listen and still does. And the sessions also have great singles "Suspicious Minds," "Rubberneckin," and "Kentucky Rain" as well.

It's a silly practice but one Beach Boys are familiar with: you could make one of the top 10 albums in pop music history with the Memphis sessions. Instead we got two good albums and some great singles.

Lest I come across salty, I should reiterate I really like this album (as well as its companions). And it's this era of Elvis that helped teach me--or reteach me--how fucking good Elvis Presley was. I've since been able to get into more of his music across a wider span of years, realizing that (as is the case with many or even most of the greats) pretty much anything he did couldn't be all bad.

Fun listen and looking forward to others' comments.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »

Some people--including several on this board and the one other I frequent--know a sh*t-ton about Elvis. I'm not one of those people. I heard some Elvis listening to my parents' record collection in the late '70s and early '80s and a little bit more from some cassettes my older brothers inexplicably bought in the early '90s. (They weren't really Elvis fans and there was nothing cool about buying what I think in hindsight were bargain-price collections, mostly of '70s live material. I was listening to Poison and GnR. I was so cool. Damn, I'm cool.)

From Elvis in Memphis is right between what my parents enjoyed and what my older brothers purchased (and seemingly enjoyed). It's not 1956, sex-god Elvis, but neither is it big-banded, leisure-suited Elvis. My first knowledge of these songs came from live renditions on the aforementioned brothers' cassettes; my first knowledge of this album--and its companion Back in Memphis--is from a 2009 compilation with those two albums plus an assortment of singles and bonus tracks.

All of that is context. You don't care.

My first reaction to this choice was, "great!" My second was, "wait, which one is that?"

Sadly, it's not the one I hoped. I like this album but I do not love it. I prefer Back in Memphis, which has material I find stronger. That said …

"Wearin' That Loved On Look" is almost a flat-out, all-time classic song. It's funky rock 'n' roll that suffers to my ears only by a mix that isn't as ballsy as it could be. As with any Elvis song, it almost starts and ends with the vocal, and as I have ingrained into my mind from some documentary or other, "the one thing he never lost was that beautiful voice." f***, Elvis Presley could sing. He might be among the most criminally underrated singers in rock history at the moment, as he seems to have faded out of fashion among much of the current population (many of whom are, like me, far too young to actually remember him at all, much less in his prime).

But this song cooks. Its beat is great, propulsive. The guitar licks are great. The organ sounds good. The bass is bouncing. There's just something about how it doesn't seem to come together, especially as Elvis joins the background singers in the "shoop shop" bits. It's nit picky, but that's how I feel: the song was a great mix away from being a stone cold classic.

After that the album loses steam to my ears. "In the Ghetto" is great, if saccharine, though I'd take the punchier single. I like "I'm Movin' On" and the steamy "Power of my Love," sadly sequenced well into the album. "Gentle On My Mind" and "Long Black Limousine" are beautiful. "Any Day Now" is a great combination of styles, bringing the motion of and tempo of rock and roll with a nice string and background vocal arrangement (to say nothing of, yes, a stellar vocal).

All in all, the album is too ballad-heavy for me. Don't get me wrong: when you have a singer like Elvis, I understand that you let him sing. And his ballads no doubt made the female fans open their pocketbooks along with their, uh … well suffice to say even I find the guy sexy, and I'm straight. I mean, seriously. So I get it.

The next album brings "Inherit the Wind," "Stranger in My Own Home Town," and my beloved "This is the Story," which has a wicked chord change that struck me on first listen and still does. And the sessions also have great singles "Suspicious Minds," "Rubberneckin," and "Kentucky Rain" as well.

It's a silly practice but one Beach Boys are familiar with: you could make one of the top 10 albums in pop music history with the Memphis sessions. Instead we got two good albums and some great singles.

Lest I come across salty, I should reiterate I really like this album (as well as its companions). And it's this era of Elvis that helped teach me--or reteach me--how fucking good Elvis Presley was. I've since been able to get into more of his music across a wider span of years, realizing that (as is the case with many or even most of the greats) pretty much anything he did couldn't be all bad.

Fun listen and looking forward to others' comments.

I like Back In Memphis too. I just slightly prefer From Elvis In Memphis. I'm glad you liked it. Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »

Nice post the captain!

The Back In Memphis album btw was originally released as part of a double album called "From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis". The other record of that album was imo one of the greatest live rock albums ever. Both albums were later separately issued as "In person" and "Back in Memphis". Personally I like the Back In Memphis album very much as part of the double album.
Presley of course loved ballads (something I can relate to). You have to remember that he never auditioned as a rock-, country- or bluessinger but as a balladsinger.

I'll wait 'til the discussion about From Elvis In Memphis is calming down and then might post some informations about the songs and Elvis' influences for his versions that might be interesting to some people.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »

Let me preface this bit of writing with an acknowledgment that I still haven't had a sustained period of Elvis listening in my life. Previously this was due to the overwhelming number of things to buy/consume and my obsessive need to try to listen to all of somebody's catalogue in one go. Now it is one of Spotify presenting me with so many careers I have to listen to in a week or what have you. I have done all of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Mel Torme, Billie Holiday, Bill Evans and others in this fashion and while it can be exhausting, it is immensely satisfying to go from having a moderate knowledge of someone to hearing every single thing they did. A streaming service like Spotify facilitates this kind of listening in a way that was previously either excessively expensive or tinged with illegality. I hope to in the near-ish future find a mood and a time to give Elvis sufficient time to get a hold of him.

As for this album, I enjoyed it. It has a nice sound. I particularly enjoy the backing singers/horns and that. Not sure I am particularly enamoured with the Elvis character – which does seem necessary to truly love/appreciate his music – but I do certainly enjoy his stuff. I particularly enjoyed Gentle On My Mind, I’m Movin’ On and True Love Travels on a Gravel Road which is my favourite here I think. When I was six or seven I loved In The Ghetto, hearing it again I am not sure if it is on the right side of the cloggy/fresh divide. Sounds heavy handed after some years away. Don’t know about those strings. 

Anyway, a good album and a good choice. It will push me to make a big playlist for sure.     

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »

Nice to know that I'm not the only one that likes Back In Memphis. I can't say I like it better than From Elvis In Memphis, but as the second disc in the From Memphis to Vegas double set, it's always felt like a great way to cool down after the hot rockin' live sides.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »

I agree that many of these mixes are unsatisfying to the modern ear. It's hard to listen to the lyrics and groove on the beat at all times, which is odd 'cause all these lyrics are good and the drumming is excellent throughout. Putting some effort into enjoying these original mixes for authenticity's sake is just what we'll all have to do. Unless anyone has a copy of The Memphis Record on their computer??
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

I'd never listened to an Elvis album before - hadn't even thought about trying one of his later albums - but I enjoyed this one quite a bit, to my surprise. Good funky production. "Only the Strong Survive", "True Love", and "In the Ghetto" were the ones that stood out to me.

Just sayin', so far this has been the album I keep coming back to. Really a great one - excellent backing tracks and singers, and Elvis sounds great. "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'", "True Love", and "In the Ghetto" have become my favourites.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:57:23 AM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »

I'm glad they changed the title from "The Vicious circle"  to "In The Ghetto". What an awful title that would have been
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:09:39 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 11:20:57 PM »

Good write up captain.  Rocker, look forward to your thoughts.

Hope you all have had a spooky Friday night.

Elvis had some great recordings during his movie years - no doubt about it.  In 1968 he looked ready to end the decade with a bang and join in with the new.  He needed something new.  By 1968 selling budget albums like Singer Presents Elvis Singing Flaming Star and others (October 1968) wasn't his idea of being a star.  He was working at turning things around.  Some kind of spark was going off.  In June 1968 he recorded the songs to be used on the NBC Special and album.  I was still going to see his movies - Watching Elvis Click with All the Chicks! Live a Little Love a Little (October 1968).  It was poorly received, failing to get a world wide release.  But hey, "A Little Less Conversation " is great.

Coming into Memphis to record at American Sound made the local news in Monroe.  There is a feeling of closeness  with Memphis in North East Louisiana, and Elvis came off as family.  His movies mattered to most folks, no matter how silly.  It was him up on the big screen.  They respected the fact that though he was a movie star, he still came home to record - Nashville is close enough.

He was cutting tracks at the same time for From Vegas to Memphis, and soon would assemble one of the greatest backing bands of all time, the TCB band, for his return to live performance.  This would change how the world viewed Elvis.  This was his best idea ever, and it had to be his idea.  This period started my very favorite era of Elvis.  For me, he was so much more powerful live than in the movies.  Live is the best film of him.
On the studio record of the set, "Stranger In My Own Home Town" gets my vote.  The pre-Lp single for our spotlight album is solid, "In the Ghetto" (April 1969).  He may have been singing about Chicago, but it felt like the South.  Poverty was everywhere, it's universal.  It  was his first Top Ten 45 in several years.  The late 60's made the South popular for more than just where they made Country records, and the place where Dylan wandered down to cut records once in a while.  You folks that read me here know - I love Bobbie Gentry.  She was Delta.  On her second Lp she recorded a track that Elvis did in 1966, "Run On."  The Box Tops recorded "The Letter" (July 1967) at American Sound.  The strings and horns were arranged by Mike Leach, who worked on overdubs for Elvis' American Sound tracks.  "The Letter" hit #1 in the USA for four weeks (September-October), bumping "Ode To Billie Joe" off the top spot.  And Dusty's Atlantic debut deserves mention, also recorded at American Sound.  "Son of a Preacher Man" came out in November 1968.  The South was on a roll.  I loved Boz Scaggs going down south to record his first Lp in Alabama.  Delaney and Bonnie at Stax.  The Allmans in Georgia.  Even the Stones wanted to record there.  Louisiana's own Tony Joe White released a little ditty in 1968 called "Polk Salad Annie" - that would soon be in Elvis' sets.

From Elvis in Memphis  One of the records that made 1969 so great.  Recorded January-February 1969.

favorites in no order, all of these are great:

"Wearing That Loved on Look" - a gospel rave-up.  Dallas wrote some classic tracks, this one with A.L. Owens.  Another one he wrote was my very favorite of his, "That Honky-Tonk Downstairs" - done by George Jones, and in 1970 by Ritchie Furay for Poco's second Lp.

"Only the Strong Survive" - He does this very well.  This new soul sound Evis was embracing was interesting.  I am a fan of Gamble and Huff.

"Long Black Limousine" - good choice.  A very powerful vocal.

"Power of My Love" - a good candidate for a cover by The Band, especially if they could get A. T. to arrange.  When I first heard the record, I thought it was the Best track.

"After Loving You" - that's what we came here looking for.

"True Love Travels on a Gravel Road" - another Frazier/Owens number.  Elvis' voice is perfect for this.

"Any Day Now" - a great version of a great song.

Okay, that leaves:

"Gentle on My Mind" - I like Glen's version too much to rank this.

"I'll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms) - to me, this sounds like 50's Elvis.

"It Keeps Right On A Hurtin'" - won't say anything if I can't say something good.

"I'm Moving On" - I like it to go a bit faster, but this is a good groove.  Steel Guitar and Horns.  Interesting.  So many people have done this.  Best of the Okay tracks.

Adding the Horns to his sound really gave him a fresh sound, some of the brass done by The Memphis Horns.  I also want to chime in on what he left off.  Two classics:  "Suspicious Minds" (August 1969 - his last number-one single in the USA before his death) and "Kentucky Rain" (January 1970 - nearly a year since recording! A live version is on the Legacy Edition of On Stage, from 16 February, 1970).  Can't imagine anyone could do them better.  One more movie and he was done with that.  He had music on his mind.  "Rubberneckin'" was  the best thing about Change of Habit.

It was his next move that impressed me the most.  Going to Las Vegas and around the states to finally meet with folks in person.

What's next...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:29:06 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »

So Week 3 starts tomorrow with Lowbacca choosing right here in the All Purpose Listening Project Thread!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »

Just very quick, here are some infos about the songs and Elvis' versions. This doesn't include original songs (which means Elvis was the first to record them) but only those where I think it's interesting to know something that might be new to some. Where possible I only post a link to the original version of the song or the version that Elvis had in mind when recording it.

Only the strong survive - Jerry Butler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPkd9ZQOtbI

I'll hold you in my heart - Eddy Arnold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJBxNWicOKA

Elvis plays piano on his recording.

Long black limousine - O.C. Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOOb4vflYxc

Released about a year before Elvis'. You hear that the arrangement is the same. But the emotion Elvis is able to put into the singing takes it to another level. O.C. Smith later covered Presley's "Clean up your own backyard".

It keeps right on a-hurtin' - Johnny Tillotson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwkWE63__z0

I once read that Elvis told Tillotson years before his Memphis sessions that he would love to record the song himself.

I'm movin' on - The Box Tops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVRpTBgr_gQ

Of course Elvis was very familiar with the Hank Snow original (Hank Snow at one time was kinda his co-manager btw). The Box Tops recorded this song at American with the same band that Elvis used for their great "Non Stop"-album.

After loving you - Della Reese
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmRGa8lAq3Q

Elvis recorded this at home and had it planned for an earlier cancelled Nashville session. He plays piano on an outtake of the song. Elvis was also familiar with Jim Reeves version but I couldn't find it on youtube.

True love travels on a gravel road - Duane Dee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BVh61owWSE

This was recorded in 1968, shortly before Elvis did his version. In the same year as Elvis, Percy Sledge recorded a version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-QlpdSLwU

Elvis played it during his January/February '70 engagement in Vegas. I like the arrangement even better (thanks to the background vocals):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIKXq-HvCnc

He also rehearsed it in '72 but never sang it again on stage. Here's the rehearsal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRkLBSkem0

Any day now - Chuck Jackson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZoabfaqTgI

On a sidenote:
"Gentle on my mind": Rumour has it that Ronnie Milsap sang the harmony vocals.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »

Thanks Rocker.  I was up so late doing my post, I had to come back and do clean up and some embellishing.  Hope you didn't find any mistakes.  I lived through it, but I'm not the Elvis expert you are.

This record was a good choice for our thread, and I hope more posters will join in for the next pick.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

Currently listening, and I dig it very much. Here are my first impressions:

The first track kicks off this album quite nicely, and his singing really shines on "I'll Hold You in My Heart". Elvis' backing band is really great for this record, and they do such a great job on "I'm Movin' On". I like the way the song erupts into a full-band thing every once in a while, like the musicians are breaking free, only to be wrangled back in by Elvis.

Okay, so I've never heard Glen Campbell's version of "Gentle on My Mind", but this Elvis version is really great. I love the groove, and the way the whole thing seems to be descending.

The end of the album sorta seems to fall off for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:58:34 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

Okay, so I've never heard Glen Campbell's version of "Gentle on My Mind", but this Elvis version is really great. I love the groove, and the way the whole thing seems to be descending.

I've never heard any version quite like Elvis'. It's so beautiful and melancholy. All other versions (I know) are too fast imo. Just like the original.

feelsflow: Thanks for your kind words! I don't know if I would call myself an expert (probably not). But I just love this music!

- Jack Rieley
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »

Really happy to see so much love and effort on this page! Kudos everyone. Makes me feel good. Sharing knowledge and musical love is what this thing is all about! Very excited to see what comes next.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »

"I'll Hold You In My Heart" sounds like a studio jam - like the musicians weren't quite ready for this, but I love the way Elvis tears into the vocal, and just can't let it go. There were moments in his career where he just dug into a song and couldn't let go - like on the sitdown portion of the '68 special, when he sang "One Night". If that's not 'soul', I don't know what is.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »

FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS

Incredible record, positively dripping with Elvis' soul, swagger and sweet sugar. From Elvis in Memphis comprises most of the reasons why I love the <construct> 'Elvis Presley' as a symbol and the <man>'s records as works of art. What's really driving the point home here is the fact that this is Elvis in his 30s sounding as fresh, pure and 'radical' as he did way back on this:

From Elvis in Memphis is a f*cking miracle.

Thanks for the links and background info, Rocker! I knew we could count on you for that. Cheesy

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »

Okay, I've thought long and hard about it and it has come to this:

NADA SURF's 2012 The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy - as an avid long-time Nada Surf fan this album took me a couple of months and endless nights with it on my MP3 player to really like it, but today I think it's one of their best. I saw them perform much of this live and the songs really shone. Shined? Shone. I'm excited for your opinions!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:32:33 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »

Never heard this and looking forward to giving it a listen.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »

Here is the spotify link:

http://open.spotify.com/album/1CFDAolez0ObsplEGqbzTI

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »

Honestly, Elvis has never really been my cup of tea, but after listening to From Elvis in Memphis I can clearly see why so many adore him and I did find myself (to my surprise) thoroughly enjoying the record. I think Lowbacca described his vocals and overall presence on this record perfectly:
Incredible record, positively dripping with Elvis' soul, swagger and sweet sugar.

Overall, From Elvis in Memphis is a very solid and enjoyable record that has given me a newfound respect for Elvis. It's definitely something I would enjoy listening to again.

Some of my favorite tracks on the record are "Long Black Limousine", "Wearin' That Loved on Look", "In The Ghetto", "Gentle On My Mind", and "Any Day Now".

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx