gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:28:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listening Project: Week 7: Music From a Painted Cave by Robert Mirabal  (Read 38042 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »

I agree with waiting til next Sunday.  Let's give everybody a chance to review this great mans work.  It works best for me if the pick is made on Sunday, so I can get the review done by Friday.  The holiday got in the way this week, as it will on Christmas week.  Muggins must be away on business - his post log hasn't changed in a few days.  We've got all the time in the world, and there is more I'd like to say on Brel.  Did some research and listening yesterday, and will post tomorrow.  I'm between football games right now.  And dinner is ready, then another game.

I didn't say it, but the captain is right about the theater connection.  You mean Broadway, right?  I listened to Brel 67 this morning - it's very good.  I'll see you guys in a couple of days.  Busy getting the tree up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:54:23 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts, Captain and Peter. I'm glad of the positive response, I had wondered if I'd strayed a bit too far from rock 'n' roll.

Regarding the language barrier: I did used to happily listen to Brel with no idea whatsoever what the words were about, but in retrospect I think it depends on the song. Some songs depend more on the lyrics than others. "Marieke" (the song) could be about ordering stationery and still be as catchy as ever. With a song like "Vivre debout" however, he's clearly trying so earnestly to get his point across that you feel its a shame to not know what he's saying. Then there's ones which just feel like long poems set to music, like "Mon enfance" the first track on the '67 album feelsflow just mentioned. In those songs I think you really need to understand the language to sustain your interest.

The captain's remarks are as perceptive as ever. Theatrical is the word, and the orchestra is absolutely in service to the song/story. It works even better live. Sometimes the music abruptly speeds up again mid-chorus, and you can only get away with coups like that with a conductor.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Bubbly Waves will pick, I approve of his musical taste.

Please delete my account
Bentracin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »

Excellent post!

To talk goodness is not good. Only to do it is.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »

Since Muggins is MIA, I decided to take over for him and keep it going in his absence. So, here's the Listening Project, Pt. 2.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »

Thanks for the responses! Feelsflow, "Alabama Song" was Brecht and Weill, though I agree its a similar style.

What does he mean by "to live upright?"
He said it meant living and preserving your dignity. I saw it translated by someone online as "to live standing up"  but I thought "upright" sounded more poetic.

"Les pre'noms de Paris" - Is there a special key on your keypad that allows you to make the comma above the letter?  
On my keyboard, hold down alt while typing 130 (on the number keys on the right)

Thanks Ian.  I guess in Europe they teach that trick.  I never use the number pad.  So, that's why it's there! Wink   Les prénoms de Paris.

No excuse for my "Alabama Song" mistake other than I was in too much of a hurry to get my review in by Friday.  After more research, I now know the first Brel song I ever heard was...drumroll:

"La Colombe" by Judy Collins on In My Life (1966).  Brel's version is far and away the best.  Couldn't find a translation, but I guess he's singing a different set of lyrics.  His own.  Judy is using Alasdair Clayre lyrics.

I came across Brel 67 while looking for other songs Judy had recorded.  She obviously loved him very much.  I liked this album as much as Marieke.  By 1967 he slowed down his tempos, and I think that works better with his voice.  It's even more expressive.  She did "La Chanson des vieux amants" on Wildflowers (1967).  This my favorite Collins album, so it's impossible to say he does it better.  But. Love the solo horn and arrangement.  Gerard Jouannest is impressive on piano.  He reminds me of Michel Legrand.  I think he brought a lot to the table when he became Jacques collaborator.  

Judy did two on Whales and Nightingales (1970):  "Fils de..." (Sons of...) - with the Blau/Shuman lyrics of another Brel67 track.  And "Marieke."

I'll have to listen to more of his records.  Thanks again for steering me to this fabulous artist.  This project is proving to be very entertaining.

Bubbly, what ya got cookin'?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:48:12 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:55 AM »

Feelsflow, to keep Bubbly Waves happy I'll reply in his new thread.

Please delete my account
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2014, 04:35:26 AM »

yes.  Good idea to move the discussion to the new thread.  I wasn't sure which one to post in.  Looking closer at Bubbly's post I see he put a link to the new thread. 

I PMed Muggins days ago, and still have no reply.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx