gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Stock Continues To Rise  (Read 62070 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »

Great post guitarfool!

I guess respect for distinguished guests is far too complex a concept for some here to handle. There is nothing wrong with questioning these insiders, there's something wrong when you question them in a prickish way.

We're incredibly lucky that insiders like Ray want to post here, so let's try leave the petulant "get over yourself" comments off the board...m'kay?

I asked questions.  Ray and his minions here answered them in a prickish way.  I didn't even state an opinion until I got disrespectful responses from that "honoured guest" and his minions.  You and Mikie should really go back and read chronologically.

If this is the level of respect, or lack thereof, that "honoured guests" give us commoners who worship them and spend our money on them, then who needs them?

M'kay?

You didn't really ask questions so much, but just sort of blatantly challenged Ray's knowledge. If you had asked a question of him, I don't think many would have minded. However, you sort of blindly did a "and who are you" to one of Brian's close friends and made a fool of yourself. You were wrong and now you're lashing out. There's no use in trying to make yourself a victim.
Nicko1234
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »

Obviously I agree that people should show respect on the board and a comment such as, `How do you know?` could be interpreted as rude or abrupt (even if it was not intended in this way).

I think asking if posters can elaborate or add flesh to the bones is only natural though as it helps to give a fuller picture of things.

As sometimes even writers the honored guests (or those who maybe could be honored guests if they chose), such as Jon Stebbins, Howie Edelson and Ray Lawlor, have very different opinions on the same issues (such as the role of Melinda and Mike`s wife in the end of the C50 tour) then it makes sense sometimes to ask for more info if possible.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »

Great post guitarfool!

I guess respect for distinguished guests is far too complex a concept for some here to handle. There is nothing wrong with questioning these insiders, there's something wrong when you question them in a prickish way.

We're incredibly lucky that insiders like Ray want to post here, so let's try leave the petulant "get over yourself" comments off the board...m'kay?

I asked questions.  Ray and his minions here answered them in a prickish way.  I didn't even state an opinion until I got disrespectful responses from that "honoured guest" and his minions.  You and Mikie should really go back and read chronologically.

If this is the level of respect, or lack thereof, that "honoured guests" give us commoners who worship them and spend our money on them, then who needs them?

M'kay?

Wembley and RAH were the two best shows of the entire C50 tour.

Really? Did you go to every C50 show? 

This is a prickish way to ask a question. To borrow Guitarfool's example, I'd love to see you say these exact words if you were at a Beach Boys seminar during a Q&A with Ray. And btw, those who are arguing against your posts aren't minions of the insiders, just posters with a sense of respect for the board.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »

Great post guitarfool!

M'kay?

You didn't really ask questions so much, but just sort of blatantly challenged Ray's knowledge. If you had asked a question of him, I don't think many would have minded. However, you sort of blindly did a "and who are you" to one of Brian's close friends and made a fool of yourself. You were wrong and now you're lashing out. There's no use in trying to make yourself a victim.

"How do you know?" is a question.  "and who are you" is you putting words in my mouth.  I could never make a fool of myself by asking questions in order to gain understanding.  So, no, I was not wrong.  I do not lash out.  I do, however, seek improvements to a board that I love when I see it becoming elitist and nasty.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

And btw, those who are arguing against your posts aren't minions of the insiders, just posters with a sense of respect for the board.

Now if they could just develop a sense of respect for their fellow posters.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »

Yup, it sure is wonderful seeing Brian's solo career continue to flourish in a way few of us could have imagined 20 years ago.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »

And btw, those who are arguing against your posts aren't minions of the insiders, just posters with a sense of respect for the board.

Don't expect respect if you don't give it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »

Your posts are doing a great job of showing that you don't deserve the respect of your fellow posters. Attacking the general tenor of the board and being a prickly bastard has not been scientifically proven to engender respect here, but you could prove us all wrong! Be the prickliest bastard you can be!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »

So, no, I was not wrong.  I do not lash out.  I do, however, seek improvements to a board that I love when I see it becoming elitist and nasty.

This is being defensive and lashing out:

Just chill.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »

Obviously I agree that people should show respect on the board and a comment such as, `How do you know?` could be interpreted as rude or abrupt (even if it was not intended in this way).

Giving Job the benefit of the doubt, there are two ways to ask that question. It's the tone of voice that differentiates the two. There's, "How do you know?", which isn't so bad (as in, "Would you please provide me with the evidence or information that you have as I don't have the answer myself"). Then there's, "How do you know?" which has more of an 'accusation' or 'confrontational' tone to it. But the tone may not come out as intended in writing, only verbally. So again, giving Job the benefit of the doubt (he's a big fan with a big Beach Boys collection and he's OK in my book) maybe he didn't mean for the question to Ray to come out as confrontational.  

At work, when somebody gives me a dirty look, I say, "Hey, don't look at me with that tone of voice!" and it confuses them.  Grin

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:41:48 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »

Attacking the general tenor of the board and being a prickly bastard has not been scientifically proven to engender respect here, but you could prove us all wrong! Be the prickliest bastard you can be!

Now what's that do other than throw more fuel on the fire??

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »

Attacking the general tenor of the board and being a prickly bastard has not been scientifically proven to engender respect here, but you could prove us all wrong! Be the prickliest bastard you can be!

Er, make a point? Why should someone new call people 'minions' of another poster and still expect the nice treatment? It's insulting, which as we all know, is the way to make friends on the internet.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »

Finally!!  Someone brings it back around to Smile

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »

Yeah. Just what we need, more Smile. I am sooooooo burnt out on SMiLE!!

What was this thread about again?

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »

I remember a hearing a story, told by Ringo Starr, about how just after he had become famous he was at his aunt's house for a family gathering. When she brought him some tea she spilled a bit of it on the table and everyone started making a big huge fuss about it and how embarrassed Ringo was about how they reacted.

The turn of this thread reminds me of that story.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »

I don't social network because I don't want to be involved in petty disputes and distractions, and unnecessary displays of rudeness and disrespect toward others.  I see enough of that sort of thing here.  Sometimes get my fill, right here.

But back on topic, it is a banner year for BDW!!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »

This is how I imagine some honoured guests must feel at times:

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

At work, when somebody gives me a dirty look, I say, "Hey, don't look at me with that tone of voice!" and it confuses them.  Grin

LOL.  I gotta remember that one.  Especially as an HR Director!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »

Hi all,
I have drank deeply from the seminal fluids of the lovester. Thanks to this turbulent forum for recommending this practice to me.

Cheers all,
The last jarhead
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »

If someone saw ONE THIRD of the C50 shows, including the last ones in London, and said those were the best.....That's good enough for me.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »

I was trying to figure out how to try moving this whole thing forward, getting back to the first post's message, which was a positive one for the events surrounding Brian Wilson in 2014. I'm not sure how to encourage that, to be honest. But I need to get this off my chest, for better or worse before leaving this behind.

This is specifically to the poster "job": This could have been a case-closed deal back on page one. I wasn't nasty, I was not confrontational, I suggested that you take a mea culpa in light of the follow-ups to the posts that started all this, which could have been as simple as suggesting it was a misunderstanding, it was taken the wrong way, I didn't mean it that way, I didn't know, no hard feelings, whatever the case.

Not only did that not happen, but my suggestion to you was answered with more negatives, more challenges, and it escalated into 3 more pages of it. Pages full of hostility and bad feelings. Not cool at all.

My own fault here was mentioning the download/PM request issues. I *should have* separated that issue from me talking in the thread and put it separately as a board issue, which is what it is. *I* did not see the original exchange...I and the other moderators do not see or read everything as its posted, sometimes until we're made aware. But if something is brought up that could be a problem for the board in general, it gets addressed. This issue in particular is perhaps more of an issue now than it was in years past, so if it comes up, it will be addressed and clarified. The position is clear, and everyone needs to be clear on it. So that was my bad by not separating that issue from everything else.

Here's the point: Again, it doesn't have to be anything beyond just reaching out and saying "it was a misunderstanding", or anything along those lines. To keep pushing the issue, and pushing it even more to the point where the term "minions" is used which is a total swipe at a lot of people who don't deserve it, not to mention an escalating conflict situation that got worse and got personal to the point where good people were dragged through the muck for no reason...

...just consider a few words posted to page one could have helped avoid some of the negativity and bad feelings that followed. Instead, the suggestion to do that was met with more venom, "get over yourselves", all of that. I don't think that's the way most posters here would like to see this forum, and I know I'd rather not see it again.

A few words now would help move things forward as well, but that's an individual choice. I get into squabbles, disagreements, mud-slinging, all of it myself admittedly too often. But when I do cross the line, when I'm wrong, I try to reach out and either apologize or at least make things right where applicable. That's not saying I can't and don't hold and argue very strong opinions, but if I'm wrong and am proven wrong I'll fess up and admit it here. Mea culpa.

Or, I'll simply walk away from it, which perhaps could have also prevented all of this.

I want the honored guests, friends of the band, associates, historians, anyone and everyone to feel welcome here, to post and share here, and also to feel like a certain basic level of respect will be the order of the day. Is that asking for a consensus of agreement, or anything close to that? No, but that level of respect and admitting when someone may have been wrong or went too far in a discussion carries a lot of weight for everyone, honored guests included.

If some would want the board to be known for the kind of negativity that was said and done in this thread and directed to people who didn't deserve it, feel free to ignore all of that. But I'd rather have more "honored guests" considered friends of the board and its membership, who wouldn't hesitate to log on and chat with us fans. Simple as that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »

^ a very real and good post.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »

^ a very real and good post.

Agreed. Hopefully the thread can move on.

I don't social network because I don't want to be involved in petty disputes and distractions, and unnecessary displays of rudeness and disrespect toward others.  I see enough of that sort of thing here.  Sometimes get my fill, right here.

But back on topic, it is a banner year for BDW!!!

I think it's been a banner DECADE for BDW!  Smiley
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »

As with all "automobile accidents," the parties involved and the other onlookers all have a differing POV. The end of the C50 Tour definitely qualifies as a wreck. The people involved in the enterprise were shocked by the reception they received worldwide. It was as if the group was back in the 60s or 70s. It is only human to be intoxicated by the reception they received, not just from the crowds, but from each other. It was fun again to be a Beach Boy. Those moments are to be treasured, as they are fairly unique since the deaths of Dennis and Carl Wilson. The important thing is that Brian is creating again after the sadness has worn off. This is a family, first and foremost. It felt to the members of the group like a harmonious family for the first time since Huh? These people are first only human, and are a family, and in the end, that is the abiding truth. It's a family business, and families do not always see eye to eye. Here's to many more years of music from Brian, Mike, Alan, David, and Bruce..... whether they reunite or don't.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »

Hey, How about them Cardinals?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: