gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:11:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Stock Continues To Rise  (Read 62300 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »

If his wife is responsible for causing the C50 tour to breakup, I woudn't be so quick to heap praise on her.  I've read that she is also somewhat responsible for Getting In Over My Head.  I think she ought to stay out of the business of making records.

You are wrong ; especially about C50

It's good to know he's wrong, Ray. I was going to add "one of those responsible for the success of the C50" to my statement referring to Melinda above but I hesitated and left it at that. Persisting rumors were blowing around like a swirling wind (I heard them myself) after the tour ended; supposedly one of the reasons it came to end when it did was that Melinda and Jacqui Love did not get along very well and disagreed about money, extended schedules, Mike's floating eyeballs, etc.

Mikie;

We heard the same rumors !  Whether Melinda and Jacquie didnt get along or got along , was irrelevant to the continuation of C50, in my opinion; it boiled down to money and control. I can tell you at the time Melinda had said that not continuing the C50 was one of the dumbest Beach Boy decisions ever in her opinion; at that time I certainly agreed. Now , I don't ;at the end it was great;  it ended; its over; move on.

I was at Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago with the promoter who offered them the Madison Square Garden shows; he still can't believe they turned them down . I plead guilty ; I wish they would have played the Garden again; that would have been a great and appropriate exit.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

Brian's getting the respect his talent and work deserves and he is definitely hitting on all cylinders right now. I'm looking forward to everything this year has to offer the fans.

Definitely well deserved, every bit of it! Let no one try to convince otherwise. This is a body of work, a catalog of music, that has stood the test of time and I see no reasons why it will not continue to do so well after I leave this Earth. To see the recent clip featuring artists like Lorde, One Direction, those who appeal most obviously to teenagers, and to have a song nearing 50 years old be the one they're singing and their young fans are listening to (perhaps for the first time), it's proof of the lasting power of the music Brian created.

Consider that when Brian recorded God Only Knows, non-classical music that was 50 years old was on wax cylinders, before jazz or swing as most of us know it even existed beyond Dixieland, and for all intents and purposes was considered "primitive". I don't know of many if there were any at all who were actively performing and seeking out music from 1912, for example. Now we have 50 year old music that is still contemporary and being heard by millions.

That in itself is pretty amazing.  Smiley

Very well said. This production is just further testament to the timeless aspect of the music that Brian created. Like all great music that resonates with something intangible within human beings, Brian's most inspired creations will be marveled at and bring joy for generations to come.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »

As much as Mike and Bruce praise Brian, it seems as if they take him for granted. One of the half-dozen or so greatest composers of the last 50 years wants to continue to work with them, and they walk away.

I'm sure Mike had his reasons for not wanting to make another Beach Boys record, but no matter how good those reasons were, they appear remarkably short-sighted when contrasted against the long-term perspective of Brian's, and the Beach Boys place, in musical -- and indeed, cultural -- history.

Anyway, I have high hopes for No Pier Pressure. Fingers crossed.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »

Now , I don't ;at the end it was great;  it ended; its over; move on.

Completely agree, Ray. I hesitated bringing that rumor up at the risk of starting yet another post-C50 crying towel argument. Pleeeeaaaase, no more!!!  Cheesy

I was at Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago with the promoter who offered them the Madison Square Garden shows; he still can't believe they turned them down . I plead guilty ; I wish they would have played the Garden again; that would have been a great and appropriate exit.

I can't believe it either. That's sad. The '71 shows were fantastic - Pete Fornatale alluded to it quite a few times. MSG coulda been another RFH.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »

If his wife is responsible for causing the C50 tour to breakup, I woudn't be so quick to heap praise on her.  I've read that she is also somewhat responsible for Getting In Over My Head.  I think she ought to stay out of the business of making records.

It's good to know he's wrong, Ray. I was going to add "one of those responsible for the success of the C50" to my statement referring to Melinda above but I hesitated and left it at that. Persisting rumors were blowing around like a swirling wind (I heard them myself) after the tour ended; supposedly one of the reasons it came to end when it did was that Melinda and Jacqui Love did not get along very well and disagreed about money, extended schedules, Mike's floating eyeballs, etc.

They didn't turn them down, Mike did.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Brian's Stock Continues To Rise

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:38:22 PM »

Quote from: urbanite on Today at 04:26:21 PM

I preceded my comment with the word "If."  I read the comments of Howie Edelson and AGD and it was my impression that MW has been a source of conflict.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »

New GOK on Inside Edition today, made mention of the other artists briefly, but Brian was the only one heard.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »

I preceded my comment with the word "If."  I read the comments of Howie Edelson and AGD and it was my impression that MW has been a source of conflict.

I don't recall Howie Edelson saying what you're suggesting. Could you clarify by reposting what he said so we're on the same page?

I've read that she is also somewhat responsible for Getting In Over My Head.  I think she ought to stay out of the business of making records.

Where is the "if" on that underhanded insult?  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:43:15 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 03:23:14 AM »

Here's to the next four years Beer may they be as prosperous as the last!
I raise my cup of coffee to that.

I compiled a couple of pictures of Brian in 2014 - seems to be a good year so far!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 04:27:31 AM »

BW gets around! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 06:08:12 AM »

Double deal of BW Presents Smile and GIOMH from memory. Others can confirm I'm sure if this is speculation or fact.

I`m not sure that can exactly be considered, `why it happened` though.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »

It has always seemed to me obvious that the end of the C50 couldn't be laid at Brian or Melinda's door because if it could, then Mike would have surely made that clear when he was taking all the flak. Instead he produced several different reasons, none of which really stood up to close examination.

It seems to have been foolish to have passed up on some of the offers and an extensive UK tour as has been rumoured would have been very welcome to me but perhaps for Brian it was just as well. The touring schedule must be really hard work and what would have happened if these guys had stayed together? They seem to be able to sustain it for awhile and then there are problems. Brian's own band seem to be behind his decisions on things like the set list too whereas Mike and Brian seem to have a very different game plan.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »

Quote from: Nick1234
I`m not sure that can exactly be considered, `why it happened` though.
Right. It's just a weird album. Rough vocals and tons of old unreleased songs. With most BW albums, at least if Brian's gonna use an old song he usually reworks it a bit.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »

Here's to the next four years Beer may they be as prosperous as the last!
I raise my cup of coffee to that.

I compiled a couple of pictures of Brian in 2014 - seems to be a good year so far!

I like how Zooey is doing a Spectorian pose. Reminds me of one of those photos of Larry, Phil and Nino Tempo in the Gold Star booth!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »

BW is playing the Stan Ross or Larry Levine role. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »

Some advice moving forward: "Job", I'd suggest taking a pause before directly challenging someone the way you did here. At least know the story and the people before starting an argument or challenge like that, and if you're not sure take a few minutes to find out before throwing down. At least watch the beginning of that YouTube clip of the Wembley show where Brian dedicated the show to Melinda and Ray. Then consider posting a mea culpa of some kind, moving forward.

And I would suggest that, when I simply ask a question about how someone can be so sure about his statements, I might receive something other than a snide remark from that person and a board full of venom from the rest of you.  Get over yourselves.

Even so, the fact still remains that not even the boys themselves don't seem to know how anything went down half of the time, so such global proclamations about anything are questionable at best...no matter how "in" you are.  Get over yourself.

Declaring that two shows you were at were the best of an entire tour is 1) subjective, and 2) quite possibly not even subjectively the case if one hadn't experienced all of them.  Get over yourself.

Regarding the requests I made MONTHS ago, which were NEVER even addressed with me then: I got the picture quite some time ago.  Do you rub your dog's nose in it 12 hours after he dumps on the floor?  Again, get over yourselves.

The bully factor around here is off the charts.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:06:03 AM by job » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »

Job, you're not allowed to question friends of the band. They lay down the law and their word is gospel.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »

Job, you're not allowed to question friends of the band. They lay down the law and their word is gospel.

LOL.  They should just make it the "Friends of the Band" Board.  Cool guy central.  That would be riveting.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2014, 08:22:28 AM »

Some advice moving forward: "Job", I'd suggest taking a pause before directly challenging someone the way you did here. At least know the story and the people before starting an argument or challenge like that, and if you're not sure take a few minutes to find out before throwing down. At least watch the beginning of that YouTube clip of the Wembley show where Brian dedicated the show to Melinda and Ray. Then consider posting a mea culpa of some kind, moving forward.

And I would suggest that, when I simply ask a question about how someone can be so sure about his statements, I might receive something other than a snide remark from that person and a board full of venom from the rest of you.  Get over yourselves.

Even so, the fact still remains that not even the boys themselves seem to know how anything went down half of the time, so such global proclamations about anything are questionable at best...no matter how "in" you are.  Get over yourself.

Declaring that two shows you were at were the best of an entire tour is 1) subjective, and 2) quite possibly not even subjectively the case if one hadn't experienced all of them.  Get over yourself.

Regarding the requests I made MONTHS ago, which were NEVER even addressed with me then: I got the picture quite some time ago.  Do you rub your dog's nose in it 12 hours after he dumps on the floor?  Again, get over yourselves.

Some valid points, but even if Ray wasn't who he is (a very close, caring and informed friend of BW), your posts had a bit of an edge to them.

GF, perhaps it might be appropriate to change Ray's status to "Honored Guest"? Not that "Honored Guests" can't be questioned on their statements or claims, but for people that don't follow every thread and aren't familiar with each member of the board, it might be helpful. Perhaps a required "Honored Guest" signature that explains who they are relative to the band? Ex. "I was the band's live sound engineer from 1982-1989". Bio sections can helpful for that but the reality is, in the context of reading a thread, a short signature would go a long way.

Thoughts?

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »

Even so, the fact still remains that not even the boys themselves don't seem to know how anything went down half of the time, so such global proclamations about anything are questionable at best...no matter how "in" you are.  Get over yourself.

And the disrespect factor toward actual insiders who chose to share inside knowledge (when they don't have to) is off the charts.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »

Even so, the fact still remains that not even the boys themselves seem to know how anything went down half of the time, so such global proclamations about anything are questionable at best...no matter how "in" you are.  Get over yourself.

Some valid points, but even if Ray wasn't who he is (a very close, caring and informed friend of BW), your posts had a bit of an edge to them.

GF, perhaps it might be appropriate to change Ray's status to "Honored Guest"? Not that "Honored Guests" can't be questioned on their statements or claims, but for people that don't follow every thread and aren't familiar with each member of the board, it might be helpful. Perhaps a required "Honored Guest" signature that explains who they are relative to the band? Ex. "I was the band's live sound engineer from 1982-1989". Bio sections can helpful for that but the reality is, in the context of reading a thread, a short signature would go a long way.

Thoughts?

The concept of "Honored Guest" works for me.  Ray is reasoned, has a tremendous frame of reference, and experiential background commensurate with that category.  

This board is "high octane" for sure with all the passion for the music.  I've said it before, that I "lurked" a couple of years before diving into the shark tank.  But the resources and experts are second-to-none.  It is still a great place to learn and exchange info.    Wink
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »

While I can't speak for Ray, I do know that he's basically one of us fans who happened to be introduced to someone special, hit it off with them, and has become a true and close friend.  I also know that he's not one to go around waving that flag.  But when his friends are attacked he will defend them (as most of us would), and when suppositions on this board are incorrect he will correct them.  I know I've made him less than happy at times by writing things critical of Brian in ESQ (a la my reviews of GIOMH and Brian's Christmas album), and I respect his feelings on that.  Historically Ray has kept a low profile, but recently I think he's had to "out" himself in order to correct mistruths and squash rumors -- which is unfortunate.

I agree that Ray deserves "Honored Guest" status, but I suspect he will choose to keep a lower profile.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:13:18 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:58 AM »

If Melinda Wilson had nothing to do with the end of C50, then who sent the e-mail to Mike Love that said No More Tours?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »

And I would suggest that, when I simply ask a question about how someone can be so sure about his statements, I might receive something other than a snide remark from that person and a board full of venom from the rest of you.  Get over yourselves.

Even so, the fact still remains that not even the boys themselves don't seem to know how anything went down half of the time, so such global proclamations about anything are questionable at best...no matter how "in" you are.  Get over yourself.

Declaring that two shows you were at were the best of an entire tour is 1) subjective, and 2) quite possibly not even subjectively the case if one hadn't experienced all of them.  Get over yourself.

Regarding the requests I made MONTHS ago, which were NEVER even addressed with me then: I got the picture quite some time ago.  Do you rub your dog's nose in it 12 hours after he dumps on the floor?  Again, get over yourselves.

And the disrespect factor toward actual insiders who chose to share inside knowledge (when they don't have to) is off the charts.

Exactly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »

If Melinda Wilson had nothing to do with the end of C50, then who sent the e-mail to Mike Love that said No More Tours?

One email can be taken out of context. What was this in response to?  And why didn't Mike give this reason in his letter to the LA Times? Instead, it seems to have just been leaked later on, with no details as to context. As evidence goes, this seems pretty shaky.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx