gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:04:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77004 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »

My musical conclusion is: very very good idea, a Pet Sounds tune arranged with SMiLE in mind, but it's too short, it sounds like an advertisement, which it is of course, for the BBC.

It could also be a teaser for more. Many comments say they miss stars like Adele or Paul McCartney,  so I hope Brian will arrange the last missing verse, or give all of the remaining Beach Boys just a single word, or one big harmony chord (dream on...), that would make a great version someday.

My analytical conclusion is simple that the 'peoples choice'  for 2014 is GOK as the best song on YouTube. People have TASTE! This video production is stunning, but the old GOK videos got many, many views anyway.
My all time faves are from Behind The Sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVUBpzlELOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCTVcNsJGX0

For your interest:  these are the the top 15 songs (I put different versions together, all above 0.5 million views)

20 million views: GOK
16: Kokomo (?... never the real BW/BB sound)
13: DWB (that high, a surprise to me)
11: Good Vibes
10: SUSA
9: IGA
8: Barb
6: WIBN
4: C.Girls
3: Sloop
2: FFF
2: IMRoom
2: 409
2: ICHMusic
2: Forever (surprise to me (TV / Stamos link!))

As I said before, until a couple years ago, there were a bunch of BB videos that had 10-20 million views, but they were deleted.  So this GOK video would be well behind the others if they still existed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:17:37 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »

As I said before, until a couple years ago, there were a bunch of BB videos that had 10-20 million views, but they were deleted.  So this GOK video would be well behind the others if they still existed.
You may be right, but Jaco's point was it took a little time for the GOK clip to earn 8 million views, whereas other BBs videos did well only after having been on YT for years. I think he's quite on the money.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »

Down to number 60 on the official UK chart … such a shame.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »

John, could I crave a boon* and ask you to check out all the chart placings for this release - I think I've got confused between the 37 odd different singles charts.  Grin

[* a small rodent about half the size of a hutia, but with larger ears and no tail]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »

Down to number 60 on the official UK chart … such a shame.

Wait for w/e 14th November (appeal night for Children In Need on The BBC) I am sure it will get a lot more exposure , and rise back (me hopes)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:42 AM »

John, could I crave a boon* and ask you to check out all the chart placings for this release - I think I've got confused between the 37 odd different singles charts.  Grin

[* a small rodent about half the size of a hutia, but with larger ears and no tail]

… and that's the lot…

From official charts company that supplies the Radio 1 chart.

I hope Rob's right and this single gets another bite. Yes, orally it is a bit of a mash, yes the video is syrupy, yes it missed sections and what-not, but the import of this had my hair standing up like hearing TWGMTR for the first time - things getting put back in their proper place n all that.

Who here doesn't want to see Brian Wilson at number one in the singles chart?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:35 AM »

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 27, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »

LOL.  Grin
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 27, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »

… and that's the lot…

From official charts company that supplies the Radio 1 chart.

I hope Rob's right and this single gets another bite. Yes, orally it is a bit of a mash, yes the video is syrupy, yes it missed sections and what-not, but the import of this had my hair standing up like hearing TWGMTR for the first time - things getting put back in their proper place n all that.

I read an article some time ago about how Billboard in the U.S., in order to compensate for pitiful record sales, now factors in YouTube views as part of their chart tabulation.

I wonder if the same is done in Britain.  I mean, to put it in perspective....if the song sold about 50,000 copies it would go to #1 and yet the video has over 8 million views. If those were sales, then the song would be rocketing to the top. Granted, they're hoping that sales of this single earn money for a charity, but I think we're at the point where the charts have very little meaning.
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:25 AM »

I just came across this belated review in Salon....rather cynical take, but a good read on the genre of celebrity do's like this....
http://www.salon.com/2014/10/27/must_viral_videos_be_so_bad_admit_it_god_only_knows_is_the_worst/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »

Interesting article on why some people disliked the video so much:

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/27/must_viral_videos_be_so_bad_admit_it_god_only_knows_is_the_worst/
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2014, 08:00:01 AM »

I just came across this belated review in Salon....rather cynical take, but a good read on the genre of celebrity do's like this....

Wow!  Like...deja vu, man.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 28, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »

Oopsies...  Shocked
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »

Just a quick off-topic FYI: The author of that Salon piece, Tom Maxwell, was in the band Squirrel Nut Zippers in the 90's, who wrote and sang the Zippers' song "Hell" which became as an unlikely MTV hit as I've ever seen, and also wrote "Put A Lid On It", which also got a lot of airplay and commercial notice.

I loved the Squirrel Nut Zippers and their music, still do - wondering if anyone else on the board is into them. I could never in a million years have anticipated how music like that would get mainstream airplay, but it did and it was terrific. The band sort of separated in the later 90's, but what an improbable run they had, and what a terrific vocalist Katherine Whalen was on those records. After Maxwell left he and another founding member had to sue the group or something for back royalties. It's amazing how often that topic comes up in so many bands.

Anyway, back to the BBC!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

The hubby and I both like the Squirrel Nut Zippers. Katherine Whalen is one "hell" of a singer.  Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

Just a quick off-topic FYI: The author of that Salon piece, Tom Maxwell, was in the band Squirrel Nut Zippers in the 90's, who wrote and sang the Zippers' song "Hell" which became as an unlikely MTV hit as I've ever seen, and also wrote "Put A Lid On It", which also got a lot of airplay and commercial notice.

I loved the Squirrel Nut Zippers and their music, still do - wondering if anyone else on the board is into them. I could never in a million years have anticipated how music like that would get mainstream airplay, but it did and it was terrific. The band sort of separated in the later 90's, but what an improbable run they had, and what a terrific vocalist Katherine Whalen was on those records. After Maxwell left he and another founding member had to sue the group or something for back royalties. It's amazing how often that topic comes up in so many bands.

Anyway, back to the BBC!  Smiley

Love the Zippers. Love Maxwell's music. His solo albums are great. His book about his time in the Zippers is great too. Highly recommended.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 04, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »

GOK now off the official UK singles chart. Three weeks total, peaked at number 20.

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/brian%20wilson/

Also down to number three on the amazon uk singles hart after three weeks at number one.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:27:02 PM by John Manning » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 04, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »

From the salon article: "The result is a bewildering, self-congratulatory mess of rococo overstatement. "

The Professor has been saying this, as have many of you astute critics here. Nice to see an essay penned on the subject. This mess will now recede into the abyss of anecdotal history, where it will console itself in fellowship with the cast of the dreadful "we are the world."

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »

"The result is a bewildering, self-congratulatory mess of rococo overstatement."

Agreed!

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
halblaineisgood
« Reply #344 on: November 04, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:33:49 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2014, 08:31:03 AM »

Finally got my single in the mail.  Was surprised to see there was an instrumental track included.  Nice touch.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »

From the salon article: "The result is a bewildering, self-congratulatory mess of rococo overstatement. "

The Professor has been saying this, as have many of you astute critics here. Nice to see an essay penned on the subject. This mess will now recede into the abyss of anecdotal history, where it will console itself in fellowship with the cast of the dreadful "we are the world."

Get over your M&B-centric TWGMTR fetish. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »

I'm pretty late on this thread, but talking of TV ads, this weekend I've seen an ad on NDR television for NDR radio using I Get Around as music. I completely forgot what the visuals were, but at the end the slogan was "NDR 1 - simply the best music". Nice they'd think of our boys with that slogan.

(I thought I'd use this existing thread for this rather than to open a new one.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:08 AM »

Tom Jones and Paloma Faith - God Only Knows at BBC Music Awards 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydiRfg130Q&feature=youtu.be

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx