gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:54:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77016 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 12, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

I got mine from Asda, also £2.99.  Amazon UK wanted £4.99 + delivery! Sad
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 12, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »

That's odd; they're only asking 2.99 plus delivery when I looked

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

Right, cd's are no problem in the US - mine's on its way...It's just not that immediate gratification we Yanks so desperately need and want.  Pass the ale, please...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:29:07 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 12, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »

It's £2.99 now but on Wednesday when it was released it was the dearer price.  With delivery it was going to cost about £5.60!  Needles to say I cancelled the order.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

It's £2.99 now but on Wednesday when it was released it was the dearer price.  With delivery it was going to cost about £5.60!  Needles to say I cancelled the order.

Makes sense to me. Now it's 2.99 with free shipping in the UK if you spend 10 pounds or more. 

Right, cd's are no problem in the US - mine's on its way...It's just not that immediate gratification we Yanks so desperately need and want.  Pass the ale, please...

Why wouldn't you just download it from youtube / somewhere, then?  That would cure the itch

Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: October 12, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »

This new version is not yet the most viewed BB video on YouTube, but it will be in a few days, with 1 million each day so far.

Top 10 Beach Boys most viewed on YouTube:

Don't Worry Baby (original music / fan video)  8 million views
Kokomo (fan video) 6.8
Good Vibrations (live 1976) 6.6
God Only Knows (2014 BBC version) 6.2
God Only Knows (1966 alt prev. version) 5.3
Kokomo (original video) 5.2
Barbara Ann 3
I Get Around 3
Kokomo (Stamos Cocktail video) 2.8
Surfin USA (Surfin' Bulldog video) 2.7
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:29:34 PM by Jaco » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: October 12, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »

Makes sense to me. Now it's 2.99 with free shipping in the UK if you spend 10 pounds or more. 

Spend 10 pounds or more??? I have no pounds to spend!

Would it qualify if I ate at several all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants this week and *gained* 10 pounds instead?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »

This new version is not yet the most viewed BB video on YouTube, but it will be in a few days, with 1 million each day so far.

Top 10 Beach Boys most viewed on YouTube:

Don't Worry Baby (original music / fan video)  8 million views
Kokomo (fan video) 6.8
Good Vibrations (live 1976) 6.6
God Only Knows (2014 BBC version) 6.2
God Only Knows (1966 alt prev. version) 5.3
Kokomo (original video) 5.2
Barbara Ann 3
I Get Around 3
Kokomo (Stamos Cocktail video) 2.8
Surfin USA (Surfin' Bulldog video) 2.7

Well to be fair, until a couple of years ago there were a bunch of videos that had 10-20 million views.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 12, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »

Spend 10 pounds or more??? I have no pounds to spend!

Would it qualify if I ate at several all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants this week and *gained* 10 pounds instead?  Grin

Only if you eat in the UK

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

Finally got a chance to watch this and I am very impressed.  And was moved to see BW singing the ending lines.  A fine tribute to a classic song, to Brian, and it's sending money to charity.  No nitpicking here.  All good.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »

The BBC thing is nice. But Boogie Nights is better. It's the best God Only Knows music video that there will ever be.

I really love that movie.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »

I showed the video to my son and he told me that all over our small East Anglian town he's been hearing the original version of God Only Knows being played, presumably inspired by the charity video.  Big thrills.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:11:58 PM by Tablevega » Logged
leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2014, 05:23:19 AM »

This version wasn't pleasing to my ears and I found the video hard to watch. I felt that Brian looked like a puppet and I could almost see a Eugene Landy-like hand in control of him. They sucked the soul right out of it all and some of the artists, from the way they sang, didn't seem familiar with the melody.

Also, reminds me how important Carl was to the original. The tune may hinge on his vocals because I've never heard another version I liked much.

However, if this makes a bunch of money for a charity in need then that's great.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:01 AM »

Debuts at #20 on the UK chart.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »

The real question is, how much would Mike overhype his contributions regarding this tribute if the song had been "Wouldn't it Be Nice"?

I feel pretty certain of two things: If Mike legitimately is asked about the GOK video, he'll say it's cool but give a backhanded compliment belittling it in some fashion (for lack of his involvement), but if it were the EXACT same video with Mike singing a line, he'd have nothing bad to say about it at all.

No worries, no worries! The promo collage shoot was only the first step in retroactively making the appropriate changes. Got my audio editing program fired up to fix that portion, and then it's on to the video editing task.

But for now, oh to think what could have been:  Grin

you wicked, filthy person  Grin I like
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »

Debuts at #20 on the UK chart.

… six days ago! New chart tomorrow…

“We live in divisive times.”
halblaineisgood
« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

Also, reminds me how important Carl was to the original. The tune may hinge on his vocals because I've never heard another version I liked much.

That tune sings itself. And Carl did it first. Finder keepers.
 Brian's instructions to Carl were just to carry the tune.  Just don't do anything weird.
but\ all the artists in this new video want to make their mark as interpreters or do something stylish that reflects on themselves and not the tune itself.
 So, Brian being present is  a nice reminder of how the tune sounds without any affect. And how effective that is.
I don't get at all what you mean with the "gene landy" remarks. that's okay - I will be baffled, as well , by your further explanations of it, so, don't bother.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:07:49 PM by Ted Danson » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 19, 2014, 11:33:33 AM »

Down from 20 to 38. Clearl the US fans holding off from purchasing due to the lack of a download has hit sales.

It's the kids I feel sorry for …

Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »

Well done. The professor agrees 100%.

This version wasn't pleasing to my ears and I found the video hard to watch. I felt that Brian looked like a puppet and I could almost see a Eugene Landy-like hand in control of him. They sucked the soul right out of it all and some of the artists, from the way they sang, didn't seem familiar with the melody.

However, if this makes a bunch of money for a charity in need then that's great.
leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2014, 04:13:57 PM »

I think it's a tricky song to sing. Did you ever hear Bowie's version? He had to do it an octave lower.
I guess the only other version I like is the take Brian did, which, I guess, was before Carl's? But even that isn't quite as sweet.

That tune sings itself. And Carl did it first. Finder keepers.
 Brian's instructions to Carl were just to carry the tune.  Just don't do anything weird.
but\ all the artists in this new video want to make their mark as interpreters or do something stylish that reflects on themselves and not the tune itself.
 So, Brian being present is  a nice reminder of how the tune sounds without any affect. And how effective that is.
I don't get at all what you mean with the "gene landy" remarks. that's okay - I will be baffled, as well , by your further explanations of it, so, don't bother.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:14:49 PM by leftybass77 » Logged
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »

I ordered mine here in the U.S from the Amazon U.K. site on October 12. It arrived today on the 22nd.  Smiley
The price breakdown:
Grand Total:    GBP 5.57
Payment Grand Total:    USD 9.30 **

So for $9.30 I now have this little gem and a portion goes to charity. It's all good.

I've ordered from Amazon U.K. before and I've never had a problem. If you want it don't hesitate. Order it!
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »

24-10-2014

God Only Knows, Brian Wilson’s latest music video, is now  most viewed on YouTube, if we compare all Beach Boys related tunes.
It took  17 days to get past Don’t Worry Baby which had about  8 million views.

Here’s proof: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beach+boys&search_sort=video_view_count

To sum it up:  today it has over  10.000 comments,  about  100.000 likes and over 8 million views.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »

yes and what analytical conclusion do you draw from this statistical evidence?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »

That it's an awesome video. Feel free to sprinkle in some negative comments here and there though  Afro

Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2014, 06:20:29 AM »

My musical conclusion is: very very good idea, a Pet Sounds tune arranged with SMiLE in mind, but it's too short, it sounds like an advertisement, which it is of course, for the BBC.

It could also be a teaser for more. Many comments say they miss stars like Adele or Paul McCartney,  so I hope Brian will arrange the last missing verse, or give all of the remaining Beach Boys just a single word, or one big harmony chord (dream on...), that would make a great version someday.

My analytical conclusion is simple that the 'peoples choice'  for 2014 is GOK as the best song on YouTube. People have TASTE! This video production is stunning, but the old GOK videos got many, many views anyway.
My all time faves are from Behind The Sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVUBpzlELOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCTVcNsJGX0

For your interest:  these are the the top 15 songs (I put different versions together, all above 0.5 million views)

20 million views: GOK
16: Kokomo (?... never the real BW/BB sound)
13: DWB (that high, a surprise to me)
11: Good Vibes
10: SUSA
9: IGA
8: Barb
6: WIBN
4: C.Girls
3: Sloop
2: FFF
2: IMRoom
2: 409
2: ICHMusic
2: Forever (surprise to me (TV / Stamos link!))

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:43:05 AM by Jaco » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx