gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:11:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77409 times)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »

Actually the video looks a lot like a version of the "blossom world" that Mike did invent in another song.  So his influence, un-credited is clear here.  I would sue if I were he.

But all those fake smiles and hipster posturings hurt my eyes. I cannot believe that anyone likes this video aesthetically. It is in such bad taste, so over the top and artless, while so full of self-congratulatory false splendor.

Please take it away....my lunch is in peril.

Somebody needs to ask Mike Love what he thinks about it to really get this thread going.

LOL!

Interviewer: Mike, isn't it awesome that a classic Beach Boys song is at the top of the charts again? You must be proud of your contribution to the original.

Oh, wait...

Nah. "Blossom World" is more Peter Max, less baroque. Everyone knows that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »

The real question is, how much would Mike overhype his contributions regarding this tribute if the song had been "Wouldn't it Be Nice"?

I feel pretty certain of two things: If Mike legitimately is asked about the GOK video, he'll say it's cool but give a backhanded compliment belittling it in some fashion (for lack of his involvement), but if it were the EXACT same video with Mike singing a line, he'd have nothing bad to say about it at all.

No worries, no worries! The promo collage shoot was only the first step in retroactively making the appropriate changes. Got my audio editing program fired up to fix that portion, and then it's on to the video editing task.

But for now, oh to think what could have been:  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

O heavens, I hope you are not really asking me that.  Please quickly delete your query before someone sees it.  Do I have to re-instate my mini-seminar in the history of rhetoric?

Until some more artful responses arise the professor must be silent.

Actually the video looks a lot like a version of the "blossom world" that Mike did invent in another song.  So his influence, un-credited is clear here.  I would sue if I were he.

You're crediting Mike Love for influencing the art direction in the video because of his lyric "blossom world" and HE SHOULD SUE?

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »

The professor has been a most welcome addition to this board since the C50. He has strong opinions, granted, and insists to a degree that some find annoying. But: such resilience seems to be born out of deep love for the BBs and he supports his opinions through reason. He also shows a healthy sense of humor, and respect to other posters.

Dismissing his opinions on the aesthetics of the BBC video as mere cheerleading for Mike Love is misguided and unfair.

The aesthetics of this video are of a very questionable merit besides whatever technical prowess its producers exhibit. Its señf-laudatory tone can be hard to stomach for some also.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »

This is a British thing, featuring a bunch of British artists, made for the BBC.

I doubt that it would chart over here. Thusly, I doubt that anyone in the U.S. would push it as a single.

I didn't realize Stevie Wonder, Pharrell Williams, and Dave Grohl were really Brits.

I didn't say it was British only. Just that there were a bunch of British folks on it. There are a good number (such as Jools Holland) practically unknown in the U.S.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »

Gosh, stevie's *one* line is sssssoooo good. He packs so much emotion into a single phrase, it's not even funny.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »

And Brian looks really cool in the video, too.  Rock!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »

You are on the money! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »

FANTASY MIKE LOVE: "It's really great that Cousin Brian is doing so well with a song like that and I wish him all the luck in the world. It's interesting it did so well in the UK because when first released it only reached 39 on the US charts. Kokomo of course went to number one and Brian wasn't even involved in that.  Did you know Melody Maker did a poll and The Beach Boys were voted the top music group over The Beatles and The Rolling Stones? I came up with the title Pet Sounds."

LOL
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »

FANTASY MIKE LOVE: "It's really great that Cousin Brian is doing so well with a song like that and I wish him all the luck in the world. It's interesting it did so well in the UK because when first released it only reached 39 on the US charts. Kokomo of course went to number one and Brian wasn't even involved in that.  Did you know Melody Maker did a poll and The Beach Boys were voted the top music group over The Beatles and The Rolling Stones? I came up with the title Pet Sounds."

LOL

You forgot this part: Paul McCartney really likes that song. I went to India with the Beatles… Maharishi…. Back in the USSR… George Harrison… Pisces Brothers, etc, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:49:08 PM by Cyncie » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2014, 04:50:11 AM »

Here is the response I got from the BBC. I specifically asked when/if this single was going to be made available to download in America. It's about as worthless a response as I was expecting...

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch about the new God Only Knows video, it’s certainly causing quite a storm here. I’m sure you probably already know it’s a charity single, featuring a host of stars, including your own Brian Wilson to raise money for Children in Need.

You can find out more on the website below, although copyright restrictions may prevent you playing the video footage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2R3PxWX7hzMb8lNZs3Ngz5L/god-only-knows

There’s a range of suppliers and partners that the track is available from. I’ve listed them below so hopefully you’ll be able to find a supplier from this list:

Streaming partners:

Blinkbox, Deezer, Google All Access, Napster, Nokia MixRadio, O2 Tracks, Rara, Rdio, Sony Music Unlimited, Spotify, X Box Music

Download partners:

24-7 MusicShop LLC, 7Digital-MP3, Amazon Digital Services Inc, Apple Inc, BlinkBox, Catch Media, Deezer, Fonestarz (H3G), Global Media Vault, Google, Imediacast, Inprodicon, MediaNet, Nokia Music, Omnifone Hong Kong, OnMobile Live Inc, PCMusic, Qobuz, Rhapsody, Telefonica, VerveLife Direct, Vidzone, Xbox Music (Audio)

Buy on CD:

HMV, Amazon, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Independent music stores.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

At least they took the time to copy and paste information from the music video's homepage. Roll Eyes

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 12, 2014, 05:39:43 AM »

It seems to me that the video is a visual reflection of how a lot of Brian's music sounds.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:57:57 AM by beatnickle » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 12, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »

We'll know in about 3 hours how this song charted

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

Why thank you Putney, most kind.  We can certainly all celebrate the resurgence of this divine song and also retain our critical edge.  If its good for the BB universe and contributes to what I hope pis their creative and performative future, I will welcome it.  I have nothing else to muster on this topic.

The professor has been a most welcome addition to this board since the C50. He has strong opinions, granted, and insists to a degree that some find annoying. But: such resilience seems to be born out of deep love for the BBs and he supports his opinions through reason. He also shows a healthy sense of humor, and respect to other posters.

Dismissing his opinions on the aesthetics of the BBC video as mere cheerleading for Mike Love is misguided and unfair.

The aesthetics of this video are of a very questionable merit besides whatever technical prowess its producers exhibit. Its señf-laudatory tone can be hard to stomach for some also.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »

No 20 in first week on the chart
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #290 on: October 12, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »

Yep - and people outside the UK can't download it, even from Amazon.co.uk - tough in a digital world.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 12, 2014, 01:38:48 PM »

It does call into question this record being for 'charity' doesn't it? Is money from outside the UK not good enough for them?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 12, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »

It's a British charity raising stuff for British and African kids through the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Same happened with Don't Fight The Sea, and Walking Down The Path of Life/Love and Mercy, from the other side of the Pond - and there's no rule says you can't give to the charities without getting a CD/45 in return. They do accept cash … Undecided

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:57:32 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »

It's a British charity raising stuff for British and African kids through the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Same happened with Don't Fight The Sea, and Walking Down The Path of Life/Love and Mercy, from the other side of the Pond - and there's no rule says you can't give to the charities without getting a CD/45 in return. They do accept cash … Undecided

If everyone ( non UK) on the board sends you some cash, can you donate it for us?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 12, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »

If everyone ( non UK) on the board sends you some cash, can you donate it for us?

Of course… I'll bank it right after I've been to the Stainforth Real Ale Festival! Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 12, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »

Of course… I'll bank it right after I've been to the Stainforth Real Ale Festival! Grin

maybe we could each add a few pence, so you can buy yourself a John Smith's Original Bitter or two

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 12, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »

Not a dig at the BBC at all but surely in this day and age the difference between Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com is nothing more than a few simple key-strokes?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 12, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »

Not a dig at the BBC at all but surely in this day and age the difference between Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com is nothing more than a few simple key-strokes?

Agree with that. Maybe there were licensing issues with some of the celebs? iTunes should also be a no-brainer.

If I get chance tomorrow I'll see if Tesco has any left (CDs, not ales) and take it from there.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 12, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

Agree with that. Maybe there were licensing issues with some of the celebs? iTunes should also be a no-brainer.

If I get chance tomorrow I'll see if Tesco has any left (CDs, not ales) and take it from there.

Hmm, I don't see the problem, if folks are willing to buy the cd version. I just walked the process at amazon UK and can get the cd delivered to my house, no problem.

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 12, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »

I actually purchased some CD's of this today from a local HMV , £2.99 each
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx