gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:09:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77383 times)
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »

7 pm Washington time, and two things happen--Sheelah goes to the larder to plan tomorrow's feast,
and I tell google to search for Hank Briarstem.  About 2,000 consecutive days without a hit.  Then this. Today.
Sweet.  Now if only Sh. doesn't notice that I finished the Oreos.

Perhaps you will favor me with that promised analysis of Help Me Rhonda? I can't get it out of my head.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »

Forgot to mention that Dennis Miller and Bruce Johnston live close to each other.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29549174

Nothing really new, but still a good read.

Sleighbells played by T. Asher, that's new!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »

Forgot to mention that Dennis Miller and Bruce Johnston live close to each other.

Probably because they are both successful and successful people tend to live near each other.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »

Well, this is my chance to turn the thread back into positivity! 3D:

For those of us who don't know who most of these nice people are, the BBC explains, with pictures and little bios:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/16Pkb2PwbHJxjVhJmYwQBw6/whos-in-the-impossible-orchestra
Thanks, that was very useful link. Based on that, my least favorite "lines" were:

- Emeli Sande (jus' not my kinda thing)
- Stevie Wonder (singing, harmonica is great!)
- Eliza Carthy (usually, I like her, but here she's too slow &...I dunno, dramatic?)
- Jake Bugg (annoying lala stuff)
- Paloma Faith (ditto as Emeli)
- Danielle de Niese (in my opinion, the worst part, but then I'm not a fan of opera)

The rest varies from good to excellent to outright fantastic. 3rd category is Brian! He sounded sooooo good in the finale. So good that I had to play it over & over again. That's what I call enlivening. Also, the tiger was awesome, love me some felines. 3D
Cool Jools Holland cameo as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »

The only line I enjoyed in this video was Stevie Wonder's singing. All the other singers, including Brian, did a disfavour to the melody. The vocal bridge and the final canon are originally the most brillant parts and became inaudible.
But visually it was very good and I'm happy for the exposure Brian is getting. And these bad performances will make The Beach Boys sound even better when the new listeners hear their version
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:47:31 AM by felipe » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2014, 02:56:36 AM »

You have no idea how glad I am that I only "know" you and your ilk via the medium of this forum.
Yeah actually I'm sorry. I understand this is really the only place on the internet where something like this can get praise instead of being met with horror and cynicism. It's not right to piss all over that for everyone here. I'll go back to lurking.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »

Take a look at this melon

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »

Take a look at this melon

Is that ADG?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »

The only line I enjoyed in this video was Stevie Wonder's singing.

I would love to hear Stevie cover GOK in full, just based on him singing that one line.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

The only line I enjoyed in this video was Stevie Wonder's singing.

I would love to hear Stevie cover GOK in full, just based on him singing that one line.

Maybe a whole album,"Stevie covers the Beach Boys"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »

I think it is brilliant but to me Brian's voice seems flattened by whatever was done with it. Maybe it's my laptop speakers. Is that only double tracking? I kind of wish what ever it is got out of his voice's way.

Wish the kid in the sunflowers had put a little more in it too. Get off my lawn!

It's all good.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

I think it is brilliant but to me Brian's voice seems flattened by whatever was done with it. Maybe it's my laptop speakers. Is that only double tracking? I kind of wish what ever it is got out of his voice's way.

Wish the kid in the sunflowers had put a little more in it too. Get off my lawn!

It's all good.

Ah yes, the kid in the sunflowers -- came by the house every Halloween demanding a full-size Snicker's bar; the sin of entitlement, I fear. Nice young man, otherwise. I regret the part of the incident I recall.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

I regret the part of the incident I recall.

The prison part, presumably.

Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »

Indeed. The food was good, but beyond that it was an unfortunate experience. I plan to detail it all in my upcoming book, "Briarstem on Briarstem," assuming Alan Boyd will agree to ghost-write it.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »

Indeed. The food was good, but beyond that it was an unfortunate experience. I plan to detail it all in my upcoming book, "Briarstem on Briarstem," assuming Alan Boyd will agree to ghost-write it.

Mmmmm. (he nodded, knowingly)

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »

It's all good.

Brian sounds double-tracked to me too.

Great video, a lot of musical artists I really like. If only McCartney were there too!

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

Mmmmm. (he nodded, knowingly)

As you know, the details of my life, while grand, are murky at best, particularly to me. The Beach Boys told the story best in "Denny's Drums," but I digress. Anyone for sushi?
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »

I don't mind Brian's voice in the project.  He's not 21 anymore.  What intrigues me is that, in the
brief shot of the youth choir, a couple of the kids seem to be mouthing "Pom Pom Play Girl".
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »

I don't mind Brian's voice in the project.  He's not 21 anymore.  What intrigues me is that, in the
brief shot of the youth choir, a couple of the kids seem to be mouthing "Pom Pom Play Girl".

Yes, and I found that brilliant. Scotch and soda and a discussion of Shut Down Vol. 2? I've missed our chats, though I don't fault you for chafing at the prison guards.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »

The youtube video is nearing 5 Million views, and yet Americans still can't buy the damn thing yet.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »

Probably because they are both successful and successful people tend to live near each other.

Hugh Janus, eh?  I knew a guy in High School named Hugh Jass.  Also knew an Irish guy in college named Phil McCracken. He had a cousin named Pat McGroin. Pat introduced me to a Russian guy named Oliver Closeoff. And I won't get into details, but I use to know this guy named Mike Hunt. I think Don Cunningham knew him from the bar scene in D.C.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »

Boy howdy, it's Hank Briarstem!!!  What a blast from the past!  Hey, Hank, Shaketiller, Textus, and Shan said to say hello!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »

Boy howdy, it's Hank Briarstem!!!  What a blast from the past!  Hey, Hank, Shaketiller, Textus, and Shan said to say hello!

Hugh Janus, eh?  I knew a guy in High School named Hugh Jass.  Also knew an Irish guy in college named Phil McCracken. He had a cousin named Pat McGroin. Pat introduced me to a Russian guy named Oliver Closeoff. And I won't get into details, but I use to know this guy named Mike Hunt. I think Don Cunningham knew him from the bar scene in D.C.....

Why hello, Mikie. It has been a month of Sundays! Or perhaps Tuesdays. I can't recall. Fridays? But I digress. Yes, I think the material you reference was covered in the Cunningham tome "Add Some Music to Your Day: Exploring the Capital Bar Scene with the Beach Boys." A treasure in my very own library.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

Single currently at top of Amazon UK singles chart.

Apols if already mentioned…

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx