gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:40:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 76998 times)
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2014, 07:59:26 AM »

Wonderful. I don't mean they should have used Wonderful as the song choice instead of God Only Knows. I mean the video is Wonderful. Though Wonderful would have been a fine choice.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »

I don't think it is perfect - the original is so good that it is pretty difficult to improve upon -  but the point of it is to show the different styles that BBC music can offer and putting together a visually exciting video in the process whilst also hopefully raising lots of money for charity.
Yes, context matters a great deal in this video. Every cameo was chosen not necessarily for their merit, but because of a connection between them and the network. It's an ad, not an accolade.

It's an ad, not an accolade

Yeah, having a Beach Boys song like God Only Knows being featured like this doesn't do much for the ol' "legacy", does it?  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

I don't think it is perfect - the original is so good that it is pretty difficult to improve upon -  but the point of it is to show the different styles that BBC music can offer and putting together a visually exciting video in the process whilst also hopefully raising lots of money for charity.
Yes, context matters a great deal in this video. Every cameo was chosen not necessarily for their merit, but because of a connection between them and the network. It's an ad, not an accolade.

It's an ad, not an accolade

Yeah, having a Beach Boys song like God Only Knows being featured like this doesn't do much for the ol' "legacy", does it?  Wink

I've noticed a bit more licensing of the BB's music of late. Do we think this is a case of "Wow, 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' would be great for our new mobile phone ad!"? Is this a result of heightened awareness from C50 among the general populace? Or is Capitol, BRI or the publishing house being a bit more active in pursuing these opportunities? Perhaps part of a run-up to "Love & Mercy" being in the theaters? It would seem logical if i was Brian's team to want to start getting the songs out there to "remind" people what he's done, before they spend $8.50 and 2 1/2 hours of their time learning about his life.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »

My vote goes to Nicola Benedetti and Alison Balsom!

Probably a wise move too to omit the 'what good would living do me' verse. Especially with all the angst-ridden teenagers watching.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »

So awesome!  Goosebumps indeed!  Brain looks terrific, has a tiger, and sings the last line in the sweetest, highest register I've heard him sing in in forever!  Brian is the only person who gets to sing TWO lines in this!  I wholeheartedly approve.
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »

Does anyone know if Mike or Bruce has made any reference to Brian's latest bout of good fortune, either via FB or concert chit-chat?
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »

Heck, I'd like to see the entire Pet Sounds album covered.

Especially "I Know There's and Answer!!!"

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »

Does anyone know if Mike or Bruce has made any reference to Brian's latest bout of good fortune, either via FB or concert chit-chat?

None

Good news: God Only Knows the song, Pet Sounds and a few GH comps have seen very nice surges in sales on the itunes charts

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »

Wonderful. I don't mean they should have used Wonderful as the song choice instead of God Only Knows. I mean the video is Wonderful. Though Wonderful would have been a fine choice.

Hank Briarstem? Haven't heard that name for a long while.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »

My wider point, granted one obscured by my original post - my bad - was that there are folk here who will find fault with anything and everything, just... because. And like OSD's infantile posts, or Gregg's insistence on Turing any thread against Mike, it's getting thoroughly tedious.

What? Sorry, Andrew, but you must have me confused with someone else. Check my very rare posts (81 total). I usually chime in if I see an opportunity for a dumb joke or I really liked what someone said and want to add my thoughts. I'm just not into all the negative stuff.

Not confused with anyone, was referring to OregonRiverRider aka Gregg Gruwell. Who, now I think on it, hasn't posted here for some time, so I'm guessing he either pulled a Cohen and left or got banned.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »

I never suggested anything of the sort. What I do I suggest is for you to chill out. Nobody's calling Brian a hack for including the Cm7 - F in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, the Gm7/D - Dm7 in Surf's Up, the Fm7/Ab - F#6 in Caroline No, or the F# - E in Can't Wait Too Long. What is wrong with resting on Emaj7 for three hours anyway?

Short-term, yes, but in the long-term, no. An accredited professor of American culture who simply publishes the words "'God Only Knows' literally remade the ideal of the popular love song" for posterity is infinitely more reforming to the public consciousness than a farcical reinterpretation contrived for a network advertisement. Being included in the United States National Recording Registry is another good example as to what creates a true legacy that people take serious notice of, in addition to being one that isn't a double edged sword.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »

Might I point at that several posts back, Stephen W. Desper posted a very nice complimentary comment about the BBC "God Only Knows?"  Might I also point out that he mixed that song live during some of the best BBs live shows in the late 60's early 70's (you historians will have to offer the specifics, but I observed him doing it).  No one has commented yet, but someone who knows more than most any of us about mixing this song (short of BW himself) made a positive comment?  Acknowledging this might be a good thing, as he is one of those generous people who knows his stuff who will actually post here.
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »

Prison does things to a man.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »

a pisces lady loves romance

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »

I was expecting that to be much, much worse than it was.  I expected pointless 'look at me' overemoting from various folk to no particular purpose, but it was much better structured and it was all in service to build-up of the song (a build-up that the original doesn't have - not comparing, just noting that this was done differently).

It was witty too.  Loved the transition from Benedetti - Jools - Brian May.

It was nice that Chris Martin was lying down, so that I didn't recognise him until a second viewing.  It was also nice to see Danielle De Niese there.  Saw her a few years ago in a Handel piece at the Royal Opera House.  But it was hearing about her inclusion in this that made me fear the worst, like it would stick out like a sore thumb amongst a bunch of poppy over-singing, but it worked, purely from her placing in it!  Context was all.  It was pulled off magnificently.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

I guess that makes imaginary Frankie Valli and hypothetical notdead Lennon way better and that lazy, good-for-nothing Brian Wilson a filthy cheater for using his standard production stuff!

I hear Grohl sniveled and begged to be doubletracked but they said "under no circumstances, only Brian gets doubletracking. You have to stand over there and look kinda awkward and mime to a single vocal track!" "Why do I have to do that?" "It's your trademark! Now stand over there!" "What if you were to pan my vocal from the left to the right, then... back to the left again?" "No." "Please?" "Just... no."

LOL Grin
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »

a pisces lady loves romance

Ah, Funky Pretty. Now that would have been some choice for the BBC.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »

The mind boggles.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »

I never suggested anything of the sort. What I do I suggest is for you to chill out. Nobody's calling Brian a hack for including the Cm7 - F in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, the Gm7/D - Dm7 in Surf's Up, the Fm7/Ab - F#6 in Caroline No, or the F# - E in Can't Wait Too Long. What is wrong with resting on Emaj7 for three hours anyway?

Short-term, yes, but in the long-term, no. An accredited professor of American culture who simply publishes the words "'God Only Knows' literally remade the ideal of the popular love song" for posterity is infinitely more reforming to the public consciousness than a farcical reinterpretation contrived for a network advertisement. Being included in the United States National Recording Registry is another good example as to what creates a true legacy that people take serious notice of, in addition to being one that isn't a double edged sword.

You have no idea how glad I am that I only "know" you and your ilk via the medium of this forum.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »

This is such a pleasant thread. All the way around.  Roll Eyes
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »

The mind boggles.

It is wonderful to see you here, young man.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29549174

Nothing really new, but still a good read.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »

7 pm Washington time, and two things happen--Sheelah goes to the larder to plan tomorrow's feast,
and I tell google to search for Hank Briarstem.  About 2,000 consecutive days without a hit.  Then this. Today.
Sweet.  Now if only Sh. doesn't notice that I finished the Oreos.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

Dennis Miller played some of it on his radio program today. Not much gets by that guy.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »

Besides his whole comedy and film career.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx