gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:03:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77007 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2014, 12:20:57 AM »

Jesus, what a negative bunch of twats we are.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »

It's a well-made tribute with funny YouTube comments from confused people who think Paul McCartney wrote the song and is literally Brian Wilson in the video.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2014, 12:28:29 AM »

I'd also suggest doing some more research and study if you think the only recognizable production or arranging effects from Brian's "sound" are slap echo on bass and whatever "four on the floor piano chord strumming" refers to.  Smiley
OK, there's also clip-clop percussion, 12-string guitars, and 'bah-bah bee doobie doo wah'.

Clueless.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »

Jesus, what a negative bunch of twats we are.

Not we at all. More like "a few". Just to make that clear.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »

Clueless.
I'm listening to the bridge of Pale and Precious right now and I'm not sure what else is there besides sleigh bells and a shuffle beat.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »

Clueless.
I'm listening to the bridge of Pale and Precious right now and I'm not sure what else is there besides sleigh bells and a shuffle beat.

That says it all, doesn't it? Listening to XTC doing a Smiley Smile knock-off tribute is enough reference to analyze the production style of Brian Wilson. Got it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2014, 01:06:54 AM »

"I strum piano" is something Thom Yorke once said, and it perfectly encapsulates B-Dub's piano "feels". F#m7 for three hours and Emaj7 for another.

While we're at it, this is an asinine thing to say. If you're going to keep making these "observations" that look more like veiled criticism or even hostility for some reason against Brian Wilson, I'd suggest there are other forums to consider checking out. Or start your own thread here about the reasons why you think Brian Wilson and his music and his whole reputation is overrated, because after all we can hear these things if we just listen to an XTC song and get all we need to know about him and the music.

And tell us the chord voicings in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, is that one of the E to F#m7 vamps you're referring to? How about Surf's Up, is that another two-chord vamp? Educate us, give us the chords to that one. Wonderful, that one too. Two chords played for three hours? Warmth Of The Sun, I Get Around, Surfer Girl, Catch A Wave, etc.

For that matter, grab your guitar and play us a version of God Only Knows! It's only two chords, after all. If you need sheet music for that, I transcribed it and posted it on the board, do a search. But in light of this thread's new info, I may have to go back and erase all of those pesky min7b5 chords or voicings like F#m6/A and replace them with E to F#m7.

It isn't worth continuing this, is it? Consider.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:43 AM »

If you calculate the lowest common denominator between every single Brian Wilson music pastiche recorded in the last 40 years, you'll know which of his production features are quintessential. What better way to answer the question of "how do people define what his style sounds like?"

I think you're being extremely defensive. The extent of my criticism for this God Only Knows cover is that his vocals sound weird, and the drumming is poor. Relax.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:09:28 AM by appak » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2014, 01:34:09 AM »

Not to go off topic by going on topic, but as I posted previously, you CAN buy the physical product from Amazon UK even though you're in another country (at least if that country is Sweden and you're not overly concerned about paying large amounts of shipping fees).

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
bluesno1fann
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »

That was pretty good.

"Hey want to watch a video of egotistical and irrelevant artists cover a song written by a bunch of high pitched, blond haired, singing twats for which these irrelevant artists will be paid thousands to sing one line? No thanks"

^ Can't say I'm surprised that there would be comments like that...
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »

Stuff I like about it:

Pharrell Williams
Chris Martin
Brian May
Emeli Sande
BRIAN WILSON
Kylie
Stevie (singing)

Stuff I dont like about it:

the way the snare kicks in on Kylies line (way too early for me)
lack of counter harmonies at the end "what would I beeeeeeeeee withoooooooooooooouuuutttt you"
guy singing aaaahhhss at start of harmony section (middle of song)
Dave Grohls ridiculous rock pose  Grin
Stevies harmonica bits (dont fit for me)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:30:19 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2014, 04:43:14 AM »

I don't think it is perfect - the original is so good that it is pretty difficult to improve upon -  but the point of it is to show the different styles that BBC music can offer and putting together a visually exciting video in the process whilst also hopefully raising lots of money for charity.

We're all allowed an opinion but if it fulfils its objective of promoting the BBC and raising money then it is a success.

The fact that a song of Brian's has been chosen is a compliment to his music and a timely one at that, with a forthcoming album and a new film. So no complaints from me.  A pleasant surprise.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2014, 04:57:12 AM »

I want to thank those who are telling us what we should think, how we should feel, and what we should or shouldn't post. That way we won't be subjected to the asinine and clueless opinions from those "who don't get it". Thank you again and keep up the good work.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2014, 05:12:15 AM »

I don't think it is perfect - the original is so good that it is pretty difficult to improve upon -  but the point of it is to show the different styles that BBC music can offer and putting together a visually exciting video in the process whilst also hopefully raising lots of money for charity.
Yes, context matters a great deal in this video. Every cameo was chosen not necessarily for their merit, but because of a connection between them and the network. It's an ad, not an accolade.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2014, 05:36:08 AM »

Okay, so apparently I posted the same thing twice much to a few people's chagrin (funny, I only counted once, followed by an apology for not bandwagoning), but....

I saw the video on TV this morning. Now....it might be that it's just too bloody early to be awake, but....this time around, I didn't hate the performances so much....I think one or two of the singers were trying to draw attention to themselves with their vocal styles, but....I concede: honestly, overall, not bad. I will stand my ground that the visuals are atrocious, though....really, they allowed Lorde to have WINGS!? And another singer to be in a bubble?Huh WTF?! What was the point???

So yeah.....opinion changed. Video still sucks, but performances? I actually enjoyed it overall this time around.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »

Okay, so apparently I posted the same thing twice much to a few people's chagrin (funny, I only counted once, followed by an apology for not bandwagoning), but....

I saw the video on TV this morning. Now....it might be that it's just too bloody early to be awake, but....this time around, I didn't hate the performances so much....I think one or two of the singers were trying to draw attention to themselves with their vocal styles, but....I concede: honestly, overall, not bad. I will stand my ground that the visuals are atrocious, though....really, they allowed Lorde to have WINGS!? And another singer to be in a bubble?Huh WTF?! What was the point???

So yeah.....opinion changed. Video still sucks, but performances? I actually enjoyed it overall this time around.

The point of the wings and the bubble and the feather etc was obviously a reference to Heaven. If a feather appears it's meant to indicate an angel is nearby etc etc and the reference to Heaven obviously inspired by the reference to God in the title. I actually liked the angel aspect of it. Brian has mentioned angels several times in his work (I even heard of a piece with 'Angels' in the title which hasn't been released) so very fitting, especially as the person who sang the lead on Pet Sounds is no longer with us.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »

The arrangement was certainly not the arrangement perfected by Brian and the BB band in the studio and on the road. It was difficult to adjust to hearing the song interpreted differently at first, and although I missed the Beach Boys style of vocal harmony arrangement, I thought the instrumental track on this new version managed to be somewhat successful. I like starting it with the toy piano.

The singers all sounded like themselves, from what little I know of most of them. The video was beside the point for me, although the ritzy production values reminded me of the expensive Christmas or Super Bowl ads.

And Brian-- his vocals sounded like authentic Beach Boys vocals to me. Is that because I'm used to hearing a Wall of Brians at this point? Maybe. But while it was extremely odd to see him singing double-tracked vocals while staring into the camera, I thought it sounded just fine. Actually, it sounded better than fine because it was like a breath of fresh air after hearing everybody else for a couple minutes.

"Whew! Finally, a Beach Boy. Much better."

I guess I like it, and I'm a cynical complainer, so there ya go. I just missed the things that drew me to the Beach Boys in the first place-- exciting and inimitable instrumental arrangements, sublime and powerful vocal harmonies. I don't look toward advertisements/charity singles expecting to hear brilliance!!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »

If you calculate the lowest common denominator between every single Brian Wilson music pastiche recorded in the last 40 years, you'll know which of his production features are quintessential. What better way to answer the question of "how do people define what his style sounds like?"

I think you're being extremely defensive. The extent of my criticism for this God Only Knows cover is that his vocals sound weird, and the drumming is poor. Relax.

If your posts were limited to opinions on this God Only Knows video, there would be no issue.

When you post bullshit, and that's what it is, about 50+years of music that is considered among the best of its era, produced by Brian who is considered one of the best producers of the 60's as well as one of the best popular songwriters of all time, you'll get called out and rightfully so.

To narrow down all of that music to "strumming pianos", two chords played for three hours, and reducing the production techniques overall to this gem of a line: "OK, there's also clip-clop percussion, 12-string guitars, and 'bah-bah bee doobie doo wah'."

To put it bluntly, you either don't know what the f*** you're talking about, or you're doing this deliberately to provoke and basically sh*t on a positive thread.

Probably a combination of both. Again, it's not going to fly.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2014, 07:18:32 AM »

I want to thank those who are telling us what we should think, how we should feel, and what we should or shouldn't post. That way we won't be subjected to the asinine and clueless opinions from those "who don't get it". Thank you again and keep up the good work.

I'm here, Sheriff, you can talk directly to me. There are opinions that are in fact asinine, based on complete nonsense, posted to provoke rather than discuss, but you already know all of that, I'm sure.

By the way, did you feel the same way about "OldSurferDude" and how he posted *his* opinions all over the board? Or is there a different standard based on content and message?

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2014, 07:31:41 AM »

There is only one thing worse than people who pick things apart and complain... the people who complain about them...

Now I think I have just become a complainer about the people complaing that people are complaining.

Oy vey.  Shocked
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2014, 07:32:12 AM »

COMMENT:

In Total, Brilliant !

~swd
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »

On my work days I wake up to NewsRadio KQV in Pittsburgh, PA. At the top of the hour I think they carry the ABC NEWS national report. Brian and the song were featured and a snip-it was played. Nice exposure here in the states. Now if they would only release it here... Razz
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »

Live Aid, Band Aid ,Farm Aid, We are the World.... I have never been a fan of any of that stuff and this video fits the mold.

That said, Someone mentioned it is a commercial for the BBC and the singers and with that I agree 100%. Therefore I think it is a good thing for Brian and the others.

Also the thing just came out and already has 2 million views on you tube? That is a good thing not a bad thing. A lot of young people are going to learn about Brian, Carl, Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys because of this video. The guys with the 'cool' hair, One Direction is it?...... Trust me because they took part in this video, some young girls across the globe are very likely to become fans of Brian and the Boys.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »

My wider point, granted one obscured by my original post - my bad - was that there are folk here who will find fault with anything and everything, just... because. And like OSD's infantile posts, or Gregg's insistence on Turing any thread against Mike, it's getting thoroughly tedious.

What? Sorry, Andrew, but you must have me confused with someone else. Check my very rare posts (81 total). I usually chime in if I see an opportunity for a dumb joke or I really liked what someone said and want to add my thoughts. I'm just not into all the negative stuff.

Regarding the video.... while I'm not a big fan of some of the singers, I think it's great. One of the greatest songs ever written is getting massive exposure and my musical hero is getting much-deserved praise and recognition!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »

It's definitely in the news cycle as of today, I just ran a Google News search for "God Only Knows" BBC and got 49,700 hits, of course some/many are duplicates but still, it's out there.

And among them, USA Today, Time, Huffington Post, various entertainment news sites, the Today show on NBC, etc. So it's in several facets of the American media pipeline despite the lack of ability to actually buy it in the US.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx