gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:25:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77258 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »

I'm one of the few who hated it. Why?

- The overproduction on Brian sticks out alongside every other singer.

I want to address this, not to change opinions or anything but just to share what *I* heard in this recording. And as it was already said what the reasons were and how Brian mixed his segments that way, this is my own impression. Just something to consider.

Each musician got a few seconds of music, a phrase or two in which to work. What I got from watching it several times was that there seem to have been specific attempts to present more than a few artists in a way that brought out what they were known for musically, or perhaps feature the sounds or the style either in performance or sound that they have been known for.

The Brian May segment helped crystallize some of this "concept" if that's what it was. Some artists, perhaps to a lesser degree.

Would you expect to have heard Brian May sing something? Or even play a classical guitar passage? I doubt it. His guitar style has been for 40 years to overdub and harmonize his unique "guitar orchestra", stacking upwards of a half-dozen parts in harmony, using that trusty old hand-built red guitar through his trusty old Vox amps. And that's both the sound and the visual that you got from May in his 5 second spot.

Brian Wilson beyond his songwriting and 60's falsetto vocals on all those classics is known for his productions, his production techniques and the sounds that he created in the studio. Beyond playing his composition, you got to hear in his spot the doubled lead vocals, with reverb/echo chamber sounds that he is known for, even beyond this specific song's original production.

So as Brian May offered a few seconds of his stacked guitars, Stevie Wonder did a harmonica solo along with his vocal, etc...Brian Wilson offered a few seconds of his vocal production techniques dating back to 1962. Doubled lead, echo chamber...all that sonic stuff in that first appearance in the clip.

Just something to consider. Brian-as-songwriter was already represented, so he offered a few studio sounds on his vocal.

At least I perceived it that way.  Wink

You are spot on.  The producer's told Brian to " do whatever you want" ; he decided to go back to the way he cut it originally.

On another note , I surrender.  Where the hell is this thing available for purchase/download ??  I recognize I am a technical moron but I cant find this anywhere.

Here's the iTunes link, although it may only work in the UK:  https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/god-only-knows-bbc-music-single/id925213027

It's currently number 15 on the UK iTunes singles chart!

Thank you !
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »

Doesn't work for me (US). I'm jealous of you guys across the pond! Would love to throw my money at this single.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »

Doesn't work for me (US). I'm jealous of you guys across the pond! Would love to throw my money at this single.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page in iTunes and change your country from the US to UK does it allow you to buy it?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »

Yeah, great tribute to Brian and the band and all, and super that he's being shown so much respect by so many, but I hope I never have to sit through it again...
Brian May doing his screechy guitar act? Jamie Cullum? Chris Martin? Dry heave!! And I don't know who that female singer is at 0:45 but oh man, I cannot bare singers who deliberately put on that sort of croaky voice thing when they sing, presumably under the mistaken impression that it sounds sexy or meaningful or whatever... I'm afraid I just found the whole thing revoltingly twee and suffocatingly middle-class. And yeah i know it's for charity etc. But that's genuinely how I felt watching it and this is an opinion board after all. Implying that if people don't want to say nice things about this video then they shouldn't say anything at all, as some have done, is just daft. Democracy etc.

And as I said, kudos for showing Brian so much respect and all Smiley I just don't want to ever see it again.

Heard you the first time. Repetition unnecessary. My point proven.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »

Ahhh...understood...so I'm supposed to like it. Period. My mistake. Sad  I'm sorry that after seeing all the excitement posted about it yesterday (including by my wife) that I watched it and couldn't wait for it to end. I guess it's wrong for me to have a rare dislike for new BB-related product. (FTR, I'm not one of those peeps who complains about everything...had nary a complaint about MIC and TSS, and was pleasantly surprised by the overall goodness of the TWGMTR album...)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:54:37 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

If you scroll to the bottom of the page in iTunes and change your country from the US to UK does it allow you to buy it?

A popup comes up saying it is not available in the US.  So I guess there's no hope of it charting here.  Seeing how Amazon doesn't have it either, I guess this is really only meant for people in England.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »

A popup comes up saying it is not available in the US.  So I guess there's no hope of it charting here.  Seeing how Amazon doesn't have it either, I guess this is really only meant for people in England.

Bizarre. Taking it to a basic level. It is not like we Americans are adverse to contributing to charity; why limit it to just the U.K. and Ireland ? Strange world
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »

...there are people here who would find something to bitch about at the Second Coming.

To be fair, that would mean I was wrong after all and am going to hell. I'd feel like I had the right to bitch before eternal torment (which I assume is Nickelback on repeat ad infinitum).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »

Does seem daft. I had a similar problem last year with The Big Beat which was only available in the US.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:23:08 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »

Ahhh...understood...so I'm supposed to like it. Period. My mistake. Sad 

Nope. You proffered your opinion then, to no real end, voiced it again. We heard you the first time. You don't like it. Think Thumper.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »

Ahhh...understood...so I'm supposed to like it. Period. My mistake. Sad 

Nope. You proffered your opinion then, to no real end, voiced it again. We heard you the first time. You don't like it. Think Thumper.

37!ws and Disney Boy are two separate posters.

Please delete my account
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

I thought Brian sounded and looked cool. I think the double-tracking was nice. And the last shot gave me goosebumps.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »

It's a bit surprising that neither the Associated Press nor Reuters have reported on this yet, so it's being left to individual news outlets to mention it. The LA Times has it on their music blog, but the NY Times doesn't. The NY Times does, however, have an A.P. story about Debbie Harry headlining the 34th annual John Lennon concert in December. 

Brian Wilson is still a relatively well-kept secret.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »

Even with borderline functional hearing in the one working ear, that was hugely impressive (except for Jake Bugg). Points to ponder...

It was the song chosen...
No-one said no when asked to take part...
They managed to keep it under wraps for two years...
It will chart very high in the UK, maybe #1.

And finally, you don't have to listen to it or buy it if you don't like it. Or comment on it.

I'm sorry, but that last comment has bugged me. No, I don't have to comment on it if I dislike it or anything else, but it is well within my rights TO make a comment should I so wish. Just as much as it is your right to comment or not comment on whether you like something or not. I have an opinion as do yourself, and if we wish to air those opinions then we can if we so wish. Just because someone dislikes or disagrees with something is not a reason he/she should be excluded from a debate.

I thank you.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

Perhaps it would have been better if this tune hadn't surfaced. Seems folk have to find fault with anything released, with each others' opinions and with each other every time something comes our way.

And that detracts from what a positive things this is.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

Perhaps it would have been better if this tune hadn't surfaced. Seems folk have to find fault with anything released, with each others' opinions and with each other every time something comes our way.

And that detracts from what a positive things this is.

Yeah. Seems like people love to pick things apart.
egon spengler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »

Wow, a collaboration between many talent artists to cover a classic Beach Boys tune by separately recording and then piecing together their performances--what a neat and original concept!

http://youtu.be/HaZNgwmLuRI

Smiley
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »

I'm not usually a moaner, I think this is the first time I have posted a negative comment about anything on this board. Sorry, but I just don't like it at all as most of the singers on it are not very good in my eyes/ears. Interestingly, a colleague of mine (not a Beach Boys fan) said to me today: "Have you heard that Beach Boys song they've ruined?" and this from someone in his early 20s who doesn't have a great knowledge of the Beach Boys. So not everyone loves it.

Everything else about the Beach Boys I love – hey, 20/20 is one of my favourite albums (despite its fragmented nature) and I even sing the praises of/and listen to Summer In Paradise...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »

I even sing the praises of/and listen to Summer In Paradise...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2014, 02:51:39 PM »

Would have been really cool if they could have used a video version of Carl for a line or 2, maybe from Knebworth, since he is the original singer of this great tune. Just a thought.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »

Brian has a farking tiger on his piano.

Do YOU have a farking tiger on your piano?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:24:06 PM by Spil Phector » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »

Brian Wilson is still a relatively well-kept secret.

He's really not

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »

And I don't know who that female singer is at 0:45 but oh man, I cannot bare singers who deliberately put on that sort of croaky voice thing when they sing, presumably under the mistaken impression that it sounds sexy or meaningful or whatever...

Lorde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »

Lorde is pretty damn talented, imo.
Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »

I'm sorry, but that last comment has bugged me. No, I don't have to comment on it if I dislike it or anything else, but it is well within my rights TO make a comment should I so wish. Just as much as it is your right to comment or not comment on whether you like something or not. I have an opinion as do yourself, and if we wish to air those opinions then we can if we so wish. Just because someone dislikes or disagrees with something is not a reason he/she should be excluded from a debate.

I thank you.

Absolutely.

Personally I think they`ve done a decent job with this song. But for anyone to try to silence those who have differing opinions is unpleasant madness.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx