gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:13:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows BBC Music ad  (Read 77290 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »

Is it no. 1?

https://www.facebook.com/aljardine/posts/793145764057494

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »

Far as I'm aware the official UK singles chart is announced Sunday - is if on BBC Radio One at 7pm.

The single is, however, already at the top of the Amazon Uk singles chart.

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2014, 03:28:38 PM »

Far as I'm aware the official UK singles chart is announced Sunday - is if on BBC Radio One at 7pm.

Thanks John - that must be what they're referring to.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »

If it's out on Sunday then they're probably at a point where they can project based on total sales so far for each artist in the top tier.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »

I might be missing some inc but I think they're a bit premature… Sunday's is the biggie…

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »

… and the FB post has now been edited to match:

Brian has the #1 Amazon.co.uk single in England with the all-star version of "God Only Knows" – 48 years after the song debuted on "Pet Sounds."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »

I think it is brilliant but to me Brian's voice seems flattened by whatever was done with it. Maybe it's my laptop speakers. Is that only double tracking? I kind of wish what ever it is got out of his voice's way.

Wish the kid in the sunflowers had put a little more in it too. Get off my lawn!

It's all good.

Brian sounds double-tracked to me too.

Great video, a lot of musical artists I really like. If only McCartney were there too!

This was covered several pages ago, in depth, and confirmed that Brian doubletracked his lead vocal and mixed it specifically that way to do what had been done on the original.

It's all in the thread.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »

Great news regarding the chart performance in the UK! Again the fact that it is not similarly available in the US in order to make the US charts in a similar way is mind-bogglingly ridiculous and makes no sense at all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »

I finally managed to order it from the US, but couldn't do a digital download - had to order the cd.  Only about $10 but it takes a few weeks.  I have an old a/c with amazon.co.uk.  I couldn't get a download though.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the $41 to have quicker shipping, but after my trip to Europe, funds are tight until I pay it off...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »

The fact that it can only be ordered through Amazon UK is hard to figure out, I think they had to have an idea it would be in demand outside the US...My local TV station even did a thing on it and sent the video clip via YouTube on Facebook, and I'm sure they aren't the only one to pick it up. I'd still really like to know if there is a reason why it is being limited like this.

Just to mention a single artist again, how many teen and pre-teen girls in the US would and will buy anything with One Direction, even if they only sing one line in the song?   Grin  They're missing out on millions if they don't offer it outside the UK.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »

Debbie, I'm sure there'll be a heaped, albeit slower shipping option. Check the order before finalising it, there are usually two of three options.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »

The fact that it can only be ordered through Amazon UK is hard to figure out, I think they had to have an idea it would be in demand outside the US...My local TV station even did a thing on it and sent the video clip via YouTube on Facebook, and I'm sure they aren't the only one to pick it up. I'd still really like to know if there is a reason why it is being limited like this.

Just to mention a single artist again, how many teen and pre-teen girls in the US would and will buy anything with One Direction, even if they only sing one line in the song?   Grin  They're missing out on millions if they don't offer it outside the UK.

Not that I'll get a response, but I sent an enquiry to the BBC as to when/if this tune will be made available for download over in America. If, by some miracle, I get a response I'll pass it along here.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »

I think it is brilliant but to me Brian's voice seems flattened by whatever was done with it. Maybe it's my laptop speakers. Is that only double tracking? I kind of wish what ever it is got out of his voice's way.

Wish the kid in the sunflowers had put a little more in it too. Get off my lawn!

It's all good.

Brian sounds double-tracked to me too.

Great video, a lot of musical artists I really like. If only McCartney were there too!

This was covered several pages ago, in depth, and confirmed that Brian doubletracked his lead vocal and mixed it specifically that way to do what had been done on the original.

It's all in the thread.

I read it but on PS it makes the vocals sound fuller and richer. Here, to me, it sounds flatter and thinner and icy and metallic. It's  in my post, has more than doubling been done or is it my speakers or ears or your speakers or Hank's  ears....imo  it does Brian's  vocal an injustice. Maybe not injustice but no favors.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »

It will chart very, very high, probably top 5 which would be amazing for Brian.

I just doubt it will go to number 1, there are so many crappy pop songs that are dominating the charts right now I don't see GOK knocking them off the top spot.

Hey, I hope for a miracle.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »

Just ordered it - for a ridiculous amount of money for a single, but hey, the profits go to charity so that's okay. (£9.50 including shipping to Sweden!) Hope it will do well in the charts, loved hearing and watching it.

Is there any practical way of purchasing it in the U.S.?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »

This is a British thing, featuring a bunch of British artists, made for the BBC.

I doubt that it would chart over here. Thusly, I doubt that anyone in the U.S. would push it as a single.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »

This is a British thing, featuring a bunch of British artists, made for the BBC.

I doubt that it would chart over here. Thusly, I doubt that anyone in the U.S. would push it as a single.

Agreed. And it's for a BBC-sponsored charity. The all-star "Let It Be" from the 80's that had McCartney, Kate Bush, Boy George and anybody who was anybody at the time didn't get a U.S. release either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmieR3KvQAc
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

If it's any consolation, the UK didn't get Don't Fight the Sea!

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2014, 11:35:37 PM »

Yeah actually I'm sorry. I understand this is really the only place on the internet where something like this can get praise instead of being met with horror and cynicism. It's not right to piss all over that for everyone here. I'll go back to lurking.

"The only place on the internet" except for where everyone's buying the single.  :-)

Only thing your link shows is that you can never find as much concentrated hate for a subject anywhere, as you find on fan boards for that subject...

Anyway.  Chrissie Hynde's three words were enough to make me want an entire cover version just by her!  I don't suppose they have complete vocal tracks from all the performers?  Imagine the remix collection they could put out...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »

The only line I enjoyed in this video was Stevie Wonder's singing.

I would love to hear Stevie cover GOK in full, just based on him singing that one line.

Maybe a whole album,"Stevie covers the Beach Boys"

I would be totally in. I Always wanted to hear Beach Boys songs covered by a powerful tenor like Stevie Wonder instead of these nasal nerds. Stevie singing Surf's Up would be a revelation
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2014, 02:21:55 AM »

I don't suppose they have complete vocal tracks from all the performers?  Imagine the remix collection they could put out...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I gather some did the whole song, but most cut just their line.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »

Agreed. And it's for a BBC-sponsored charity. The all-star "Let It Be" from the 80's that had McCartney, Kate Bush, Boy George and anybody who was anybody at the time didn't get a U.S. release either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmieR3KvQAc

Still, this is a song first written/recorded by America's band. And in the Internet age where this stuff can be uploaded and sent across the globe in milliseconds, it's just odd that they wouldn't want the extra exposure/charitable contributions. But this is a project relating to the Beach Boys, snafu Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »

Late to the game here. I will have to review the posts, but I am sure this board, while supportive of charity and the exposure of BW and GOK, have panned the video as pretentious, insipid, obvious, and as utterly devoid of intellectual or spiritual meaning. Its a "we are the world" for the modern age. What torture to see one glam-twit after another posture idiotically and artlessly (except BW and good old Elton, who try their best).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »

Perfesser, I'm told if you listen to this version while driving the full length of the M5 motorway from West Bromwich to Devon in really bad traffic then and only then can you truly get it.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »

Disney Boy, you are in good company. Most of all, all the mannered pretense of the production obliterates the song's meaning and poignancy.  Nothing in the song lyrically nor musically suggests any of the images created in the video, and the self-consciousness (self-glorification) of each singer's bit is in complete opposition to the sweet angst and innocence of the song itself, especially as sung by Carl in its gem-like setting in PS.

Yeah, great tribute to Brian and the band and all, and super that he's being shown so much respect by so many, but I hope I never have to sit through it again...
Brian May doing his screechy guitar act? Jamie Cullum? Chris Martin? Dry heave!! And I don't know who that female singer is at 0:45 but oh man, I cannot bare singers who deliberately put on that sort of croaky voice thing when they sing, presumably under the mistaken impression that it sounds sexy or meaningful or whatever... I'm afraid I just found the whole thing revoltingly twee and suffocatingly middle-class. And yeah i know it's for charity etc. But that's genuinely how I felt watching it and this is an opinion board after all. Implying that if people don't want to say nice things about this video then they shouldn't say anything at all, as some have done, is just daft. Democracy etc.

And as I said, kudos for showing Brian so much respect and all Smiley I just don't want to ever see it again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx