gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:28:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile done right?  (Read 22091 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

All these 'Smile/Smiley Smile/whatever other albums or tracks spring to mind'-hybrids that people are posting up sound like incoherent messes to me.

Fire (in the middle of side one?), followed by He Gives Speeches, then Da-Da. I mean... huh?

But each to their own...

Well to be fair, I replaced Da-Da with the 1967 "Cool Cool Water".

Also, if you dislike that line-up - Fire in the middle of side one, He Gives Speeches - you do realize that's Smiley Smile, right? :-P
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2014, 10:54:22 PM »

All these 'Smile/Smiley Smile/whatever other albums or tracks spring to mind'-hybrids that people are posting up sound like incoherent messes to me.

Fire (in the middle of side one?), followed by He Gives Speeches, then Da-Da. I mean... huh?

But each to their own...

Well to be fair, I replaced Da-Da with the 1967 "Cool Cool Water".

Also, if you dislike that line-up - Fire in the middle of side one, He Gives Speeches - you do realize that's Smiley Smile, right? :-P

I see what you're doing there - but no, it isn't. Still, quality reply Smiley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »

The cover of my new alternate universe idea! Smiley

That is won-won-won-wonderful!
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2014, 12:06:57 AM »

I've just been kicking around an idea, since I was disappointed with the results of Priore's SMiLE... what would it sound like if one put together a 'proper' version of Smiley Smile?  Well, take a look at the track list, you'll see what I mean:

SIDE ONE
01) Heroes and Villains - 'Smile Sessions' version, spliced to single version (so that the last chorus fades)
02) Vegetables - 'Smile Sessions' version without opening segue
03) Mrs. O'Leary's Cow - 'Smile Sessions' version
04) He Gives Speeches - obviously standing in for "She's Goin' Bald", it's short but it fits.
05) I Love To Say Da Da - since there isn't a Smile equivalent of "Little Pad", this seems to be the best fit, complete with Water Chant at the start.

SIDE TWO
01) Good Vibrations - 'Smile Sessions' version with hum-de-dums.
02) With Me Tonight - 'Smile Sessions' version??  Doesn't that one end rather abruptly when someone knocks something over, though?
03) Wind Chimes - 'Smile Sessions' version without opening segue
04) ...................no clue.  I need to fill the spot left by "Gettin' Hungry".
05) Wonderful - 'Smile Sessions' version
06) You're Welcome - Seems like a reasonable replacement for "Whistle In", another round chant.

You know... this is, like, Smile, not Smiley smile??!!
Ok, fill in CE and Su and thatīs it!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »

I've just been kicking around an idea, since I was disappointed with the results of Priore's SMiLE... what would it sound like if one put together a 'proper' version of Smiley Smile?  Well, take a look at the track list, you'll see what I mean:

SIDE ONE
01) Heroes and Villains - 'Smile Sessions' version, spliced to single version (so that the last chorus fades)
02) Vegetables - 'Smile Sessions' version without opening segue
03) Mrs. O'Leary's Cow - 'Smile Sessions' version
04) He Gives Speeches - obviously standing in for "She's Goin' Bald", it's short but it fits.
05) I Love To Say Da Da - since there isn't a Smile equivalent of "Little Pad", this seems to be the best fit, complete with Water Chant at the start.

SIDE TWO
01) Good Vibrations - 'Smile Sessions' version with hum-de-dums.
02) With Me Tonight - 'Smile Sessions' version??  Doesn't that one end rather abruptly when someone knocks something over, though?
03) Wind Chimes - 'Smile Sessions' version without opening segue
04) ...................no clue.  I need to fill the spot left by "Gettin' Hungry".
05) Wonderful - 'Smile Sessions' version
06) You're Welcome - Seems like a reasonable replacement for "Whistle In", another round chant.

I think in some ways Smiley represents a natural evolution of the original project and in others it's a completely separate album.

First of all, I have to agree with some of the other posters here who take offense at your assertion that Smiley wasn't "done right" the first time around. The only problem with it as it came out is the inclusion of Good Vibrations (arguably Heroes and Villains too) which doesn't fit and completely ruins the mood. But, that's on the record company not Brian. Otherwise, it's one of the most cohesive, interesting releases in the Boys' catalog. As far-out and ahead of the times as SMiLE would've been had it come out in January.

As a near-obsessive SMiLE mixer, the idea of remaking SMiLE using the Smiley tracklist as a guide intrigues me. I've come to believe H&V and Veggies were meant to go back-to-back on the original album because of how similar they sound, so maybe some other aspects of the Smiley tracklist were meant for SMiLE too. But then the problem arises when you notice how many songs on Smiley didn't exist in SMiLE. Maybe Tones and He Gives Speeches became Little Pad and She's Goin' Bald, but would the former two have really been on SMiLE as it was originally conceived? Would you even want to listen to such a mix, when you have songs like Surf's Up, CIFOTM and Cabin Essence just begging to be heard instead? I know I don't.

And that's really the problem--these two albums are interrelated, but not completely interchangeable. Smiley has the flowing, pseudo-concept album structure that I know SMiLE would have. I think the mistakes and goofy bits left in represent Brian trying to recreate the Psychedelic Sounds skits. It's just my intuition that they would've been in SMiLE, but it is a fact that Brian said spoken word humor between the tracks would've been in there. Given that he had Hal Blaine record those Veggie Fights and some other session musicians record George Fell, he was obviously serious about that idea at least for awhile. So, there's undeniably some seeds of the SMiLE project in Smiley. Brian still wanted to make people laugh, still wanted to convey the elements in musical form, and still wanted to push the envelope. Sure, Smiley is more stripped down and less complex...but nothing else by any band sounds anything like it. It's still very progressive stuff.

Where Smiley fails to live up to its cancelled predecessor is in its dropping of the session musicians, major themes (aside from health and humor) and the rather haphazard tracklist. Not dissing the man, but I don't think anyone can argue with the assertion that Brian was digging up anything he could quickly finish to throw together for this thing. It seems he gave Mike the opportunity to write lyrics for the unfinished stuff (which gave us Whistle In, She's Goin' Bald and Little Pad) and redid the most "finished" SMiLE material in a new style. It was all about getting it out fast, because they were already almost a year late. The original SMiLE vision had been lost, gotten too convoluted, and had missed its opportunity once Sgt Pepper and so many other Psychedelic albums had already come out. So Brian decided to start over with something simpler, done only by the Boys (to alleviate any hard feelings, and again, because it was faster than using the Wrecking Crew.) This lead to a completely new project with its own distinct sounds and feeling, even if it did recycle a lot of the old SMiLE material.

TL;DR: Smiley is its own beast. It cannibalized some aspects of SMiLE because that's what was lying around and the Boys had to get something out quick.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »

The cover of my new alternate universe idea! Smiley

Brilliant. Shades of what could have been.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »

Maybe Tones and He Gives Speeches became Little Pad and She's Goin' Bald, but would the former two have really been on SMiLE as it was originally conceived?

I don't know if I got you right, but if you insinuate there once was an original conception of SMiLE that was later deviated from, I disagree. There were ideas which were toyed around with, some of which were scrapped, new ideas added, kept in a limbo, revised, and at some point junked in a big batch, and then the rest was finalised with a completely different approach (an approach you described very well) as Smiley Smile.

If there was something you could have called an original concept, that was already junked when the album was renamed from "Dumb Angel" to "SMiLE".

Maybe I got you wrong, as I connect well with everything else in your post. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »

Maybe Tones and He Gives Speeches became Little Pad and She's Goin' Bald, but would the former two have really been on SMiLE as it was originally conceived?

I don't know if I got you right, but if you insinuate there once was an original conception of SMiLE that was later deviated from, I disagree. There were ideas which were toyed around with, some of which were scrapped, new ideas added, kept in a limbo, revised, and at some point junked in a big batch, and then the rest was finalised with a completely different approach (an approach you described very well) as Smiley Smile.

If there was something you could have called an original concept, that was already junked when the album was renamed from "Dumb Angel" to "SMiLE".

Maybe I got you wrong, as I connect well with everything else in your post. Smiley

I dont mean a detailed, set in stone conception...but as you say there were a lot of ideas. Ideas which were later scrapped, like the Americana suite and the Psychedelic/Aquarian vibes. Someone once said that if SMiLE was musical acid/shrooms, Smiley was musical weed/hashish. The former intended to be the ultimate mindfuck album while the latter, by design or not, ended up being very relaxed and stoned-out. I'd hazard a guess that the Americana stuff and covers of old standards was more VDP's idea. He seemed to really believe in the idea of the Boys as Americana in and of themselves, and based on Song Cycle, that kinda stuff seemed to be his schtick in any case. Makes sense then, why that angle would be ditched when the project shifted to Smiley. H&V still appeared on it, but only because it was released as a single.

I'd argue SMiLE was dead by mid-december 1966. I believe that's around when VDP left the first time, thats when the Boys came back and didn't like what they heard, thats when Brian gave up on The Elements, that was the last time work was done on anything except the potential singles. Paradoxically, that's also when the Capitol list was written up, which gives us our best (though still flawed) insight into the original idea for the album. Was this when the album was renamed? I'm a bit fuzzy on that detail?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2015, 02:33:08 PM »

Maybe Tones... became Little Pad

Buh? No.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »

I wouldn't be so completely dismissive of the idea. It's a well known fact Brian reused sections of tracks left and right around this time. Smiley is still primarily a collection of SMiLE leftovers, and while it's often forgotten about, there's a case to be made that Tones was slated for SMiLE. Obviously it wasn't even written when most of the other songs were, but I think it's possible it could've been a last minute replacement for the scrapped Elements or something similar.

Anyway, while the connection is not nearly as strong as that between Speeches and Bald for example, there's some evidence to be made. I believe Carl shares a writer's credit on Little Pad, and it's well known that Tones was his baby. Also, consider these two videoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7CW9ZzbTYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHAf8zavRG8

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »

I wouldn't be so completely dismissive of the idea. It's a well known fact Brian reused sections of tracks left and right around this time. Smiley is still primarily a collection of SMiLE leftovers, and while it's often forgotten about, there's a case to be made that Tones was slated for SMiLE. Obviously it wasn't even written when most of the other songs were, but I think it's possible it could've been a last minute replacement for the scrapped Elements or something similar.

Anyway, while the connection is not nearly as strong as that between Speeches and Bald for example, there's some evidence to be made. I believe Carl shares a writer's credit on Little Pad, and it's well known that Tones was his baby. Also, consider these two videoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7CW9ZzbTYE

Carl wrote "Tones" but has no credit on "Little Pad" and, above all else, there's only really a similarity in rhythm. That's it. Occasionally a chord will line up with the melody, but you could do that with hundreds of songs - there's a ton of dissonance in the videos you've posted.

Yes, Brian reworked scrapped Smile pieces into some Smiley Smile tracks and some later tracks, but it sometimes feels as though people try too hard to hunt for earlier origins of tracks when there is none. "Gettin' Hungry", "Whistle In", and "Little Pad" are examples of songs with no known Smile origins. There aren't a lot of drastic reworkings like this, anyway - "She's Goin' Bald" is a Smiley arrangement of "He Gives Speeches" with new lyrics and a new end sections, which isn't too far off from any other Smiley arrangement of Smile tracks.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »

Carl wrote "Tones" but has no credit on "Little Pad" and, above all else, there's only really a similarity in rhythm. That's it. Occasionally a chord will line up with the melody, but you could do that with hundreds of songs - there's a ton of dissonance in the videos you've posted.

Yes, Brian reworked scrapped Smile pieces into some Smiley Smile tracks and some later tracks, but it sometimes feels as though people try too hard to hunt for earlier origins of tracks when there is none. "Gettin' Hungry", "Whistle In", and "Little Pad" are examples of songs with no known Smile origins. There aren't a lot of drastic reworkings like this, anyway - "She's Goin' Bald" is a Smiley arrangement of "He Gives Speeches" with new lyrics and a new end sections, which isn't too far off from any other Smiley arrangement of Smile tracks.

Ah, my bad about the credit on Little Pad. I guess you're right then. And I definitely agree with Getting Hungry being an original. But wasn't Whistle In derived from Worms?

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »

I'd get rid of Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations as I've always felt they just don't belong. I'm gonna start it off with You're Welcome just for the fun of it. It's a 21 minute trip.

You're Welcome
Vegetables    
Fall Breaks Back To Winter
She's Goin' Bald    
Little Pad    
With Me Tonight    
Wind Chimes    
Gettin' Hungry    
Wonderful    
Whistle In

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »

But wasn't Whistle In derived from Worms?

Anyone who tells you that is a liar. The bridge of "Worms" with the chanting has more in common with the guitar solo on "Santa's Beard" than "Whistle In." Again, the similarity is solely in the part of the rhythm of the melody, but the actual melodies are different and then go in totally different directions after four, erm, syncopated syllables.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »

From the SS/WH twofer notes:
A version of this was recorded on 1/27/67, the same day as the "Cantina" section of "Heroes and Villains".  It is possible that at one point, "Whistle In" was part of "Heroes and Villains".

Ipso facto.....
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

A version of this was recorded on 1/27/67, the same day as the "Cantina" section of "Heroes and Villains".  It is possible that at one point, "Whistle In" was part of "Heroes and Villains".

Ipso facto.....

IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Plus, nothing like this has ever been booted or put on the Smile Sessions box, so hrrrm. :\

Above all else, I guess I meant more that "Whistle In" wasn't derived from anything we'd heard.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »

I'd get rid of Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations as I've always felt they just don't belong. I'm gonna start it off with You're Welcome just for the fun of it. It's a 21 minute trip.

You're Welcome
Vegetables    
Fall Breaks Back To Winter
She's Goin' Bald    
Little Pad    
With Me Tonight    
Wind Chimes    
Gettin' Hungry    
Wonderful    
Whistle In

Try adding "Be Still". You might be surprised.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »

Smiley Smile IS done right Cry

... I might toss the Smiley Smile-esque "Good Vibrations" Hawaii rehearsal from the Hawthorne comp in place of the album version, tho. I MIGHT. The single version of "Good Vibrations" just feels so firmly cemented to Smile, for me, where as "Heroes" at least has some Smiley session overdubs (teh organ, most notably). Has the Wally Heider recording of "Good Vibrations" ever surfaced? It's not on any Lei'd In Hawaii bootlegs that I've ever heard, but it might be even better given the after-the-fact heavy reverb of the Hawthorne mix (WHHHYYY).

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »

Ipso facto.....

Plus, nothing like this has ever been booted or put on the Smile Sessions box, so hrrrm. :\

Above all else, I guess I meant more that "Whistle In" wasn't derived from anything we'd heard.

Thank you, runnersdialzero, for clearing that up. Gotta say, that really changes my feelings on Whistle In. So, it wasn't a SMiLE--offshoot, but rather another chant recorded in the SMiLE Era? And yet ANOTHER Heroes fragment? Damn. I wonder how many songs eventually spun off from that? It really was an album in itself, that last dynamic Brian moment...

I'd love to here the original SMiLE version. I wonder if it was like the SMiLE With Me Tonight, in that it was faster, less "depressing-sounding" and perhaps more fully orchestrated? This really just goes to show that there will ALWAYS be more SMiLE material out there, and that just when you think you've got it figured out, someone throws a wrench in one of your theories.

For what it's worth, I think Whistle In would have made a great fade to Heroes. A lot of those other tangential Heores segments are really hard to imagine fitting in with the more "mainstream" segments, but this one I can see it. There's a "Part One Tag" on the boxset, but to these ears it seems kinda subpar and not punchy or interesting enough to close out such an interesting track. Some people think Barnyard was gonna be the fade, but to me that just doesn't fit. It just has nothing to do with anything. Neither does Great Shape, which then explains why they were taken out (and perhaps spun off into the track, "I'm in Great Shape.") I know it never would've been canon, but I really liked the fade I made for H&V1 in my Aquarian mix. I think the new Barnshine fade was meant for H&V2 or the single version of H&V1 once the album was sold for scrap for the single. Whistle In works great though, in that conveys a sense of sadness and loss, yet "whistling through the day" and trying to get over your problems with a tune. It fits the idea of what H&V became, getting over Margarita who was brought down by bullets. I believe H&V most likely would have lead into Cabin Essence, Vega-Tables or OMP on the album, and Whistle In works as a lead in to any of those. Whistle...like a train? Whistle...the the literal whistling in Veggies? And that same feeling of loss would be brought to a head in OMP.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Brian put much stock in this fragment since it wasn't in any working version of the song and hasn't surfaced at all. Damn shame.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »

Ipso facto.....

I thin that SS/WH notes indicate that "Whistle in" has origin in Smileīs "Whistling bridge", perhaps even in "All day"?? For this second  just lyrically, but "Whistlin bridge" is certainly origin of SS Whistle in.
Just my opinion.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 01:09:59 AM »

Ipso facto.....

I thin that SS/WH notes indicate that "Whistle in" has origin in Smileīs "Whistling bridge", perhaps even in "All day"?? For this second  just lyrically, but "Whistlin bridge" is certainly origin of SS Whistle in.
Just my opinion.

goshdarn, imagine the Whistling Bridge/Tape explosion transitioning to Whistle In as the fade of Heroes? I know what I'm trying the next time I rearrange that song!

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »

Ipso facto.....

Just my opinion.

No, "Whistling Bridge" has been released and isn't "Whistle In". The Twofer (which means this is 15+ year old speculation) only says "it's possible" that "Whistle In" was a "Heroes" section, but nothing like this has been booted or released on the Smile box set, so I'm not sure.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 01:27:01 AM »

Ipso facto.....

Just my opinion.

No, "Whistling Bridge" has been released and isn't "Whistle In". The Twofer (which means this is 15+ year old speculation) only says "it's possible" that "Whistle In" was a "Heroes" section, but nothing like this has been booted or released on the Smile box set, so I'm not sure.

Oh look, another wrench...

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 01:43:59 AM »

Ipso facto.....

Just my opinion.

I know "Whistling bridge" isnīt "Whistle in" , but SSWH notes say that "version" of "Whistle in" was recorded on 27th January 1967, and therefore Iīm convinced that this "version" is "Whistlin bridge".
But letīs remember that "Bedroom tapes", if we can call them that way, started with "Whiste in"! Hereīs qoute:
""Whistle In" (alternate versions) - Alternately, one could argue that a number of spirited takes of "Whistle In," from summer '67, are characteristic of the way Wilson attached himself to a basic riff and noodled with it endlessly during the 'Bedroom' years. "
http://www.laweekly.com/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description-4479099

The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 04:53:15 AM »

Ipso facto.....

Just my opinion.

Performed with a similar feel, but not the same music.  "Whistle In" is the music from the chorus of "Look" combined with what is basically the vocal melody of the end of "Do You Like Worms."  That's how "Whistle In" comes from "Smile."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx