gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:54:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Domenic Priore's "SMiLE"?  (Read 6641 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »

I'm curious..... has anyone ever reconstructed the track list for "Smile" in the Domenic Priore book?  It sounds like it would work quite well (and fit the length of a 1967 LP).  As follows:

SIDE ONE
01) Heroes and Villains - The 'Cantina' version, apparently ending after the 'tape explosion'.  I gotta admit, this seems like the shortest, most awkward configuration of the song ever; it has no resolution!
02) Do You Dig Worms?
03) The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine - With the sliding strings bumping right into....
04) Wonderful
05) Child Is Father To The Man
06) Our Prayer
07) Cabinessence

SIDE TWO
01) Good Vibrations
02) Vega-Tables
03) Wind Chimes
04) Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
05) Cool, Cool Water - He seems to be describing the 'Sunflower' version... not sure why one would include that instead of "I Love To Say Da-Da".
06) Surf's Up
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »

I'm curious..... has anyone ever reconstructed the track list for "Smile" in the Domenic Priore book? 

Many, many times. Ever since he first sprang his cassette tape of "Cantina" on us at the Beach Boys convention in Oakland in the 80's and held it tightly in his wormy hand over our heads as we begged him for copies of it like a bunch of homeless people who hadn't eaten in three weeks.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

Sounds like the dark ages Mikie! Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »

I'm curious..... has anyone ever reconstructed the track list for "Smile" in the Domenic Priore book? 

Many, many times. Ever since he first sprang his cassette tape of "Cantina" on us at the Beach Boys convention in Oakland in the 80's and held it tightly in his wormy hand over our heads as we begged him for copies of it like a bunch of homeless people who hadn't eaten in three weeks.

Man that is Charles Dickensesque right there.  Post of the year candidate!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:48:09 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  LOL

BEAUTIFUL Mikie!

I've got to agree with John, Post of the year candidate!

P.S. I remember those days well. I would have traded my little sister in for 20 seconds of unheard SMiLE!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:13:24 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  LOL

BEAUTIFUL Mikie!

I've got to agree with John, Post of the year candidate!

P.S. I remember those days well. I would have traded my little sister in for 20 seconds of unheard SMiLE!  Smiley

It's great, isn't it? I think it's one of those posts that one does not think about, it just is transported directly from the more humorous parts of the unconscious to the keyboard, in perfect shape as it was/is, no need to modify.

Post Of The Year? Yes.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:41 AM »

I had a somewhat similar experience, at Domenic's house way back when he was still living with his parents.  He had so much cool stuff, not only in his room, but also a garage full of vinyl in record store style bins, that my head was spinning just listening to and viewing the material he played for me.  I'll never forget him opening a package that had just arrived, containing rare BB videos on VHS, and complaining that he simply didn't have the time to listen to and view all the BB stuff that was coming his way.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 04:03:45 AM »

I had a somewhat similar experience, at Domenic's house way back when he was still living with his parents.  He had so much cool stuff, not only in his room, but also a garage full of vinyl in record store style bins, that my head was spinning just listening to and viewing the material he played for me.  I'll never forget him opening a package that had just arrived, containing rare BB videos on VHS, and complaining that he simply didn't have the time to listen to and view all the BB stuff that was coming his way.

I hear ya, Rob - imagine helping him try to cram all that stuff into his VW for a move back to California from Nebraska...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »

I tried that on cassette tape a few years back and it sounded good, it had both H&V 1&2 and I placed "You're welcome" at the end to finish it off as if to say "You're welcome to come back anytime".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »

I'm curious..... has anyone ever reconstructed the track list for "Smile" in the Domenic Priore book?  It sounds like it would work quite well (and fit the length of a 1967 LP).  As follows:

SIDE ONE
01) Heroes and Villains - The 'Cantina' version, apparently ending after the 'tape explosion'.  I gotta admit, this seems like the shortest, most awkward configuration of the song ever; it has no resolution!
02) Do You Dig Worms?
03) The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine - With the sliding strings bumping right into....
04) Wonderful
05) Child Is Father To The Man
06) Our Prayer
07) Cabinessence

SIDE TWO
01) Good Vibrations
02) Vega-Tables
03) Wind Chimes
04) Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
05) Cool, Cool Water - He seems to be describing the 'Sunflower' version... not sure why one would include that instead of "I Love To Say Da-Da".
06) Surf's Up

Actually, when you stop and look at it, that really is one spectacular track list. I really feel Smile works best when you cut out the (admittedly brilliant) snippets and just have the key songs. I wish they'd gone that way with the Smile Sessions CD and left the rest for bonus tracks.
Also, have never thought of H&V ending immediately after the tape burn-out but that is actually quite a cool idea, especially with those DYLW kettle drums immediately kicking in after the distortion has stopped. Assuming we'd have got more of complete H&V on the single release, I think this would have been a fantastic WTF moment to have kicked off the album with had it been released back in the day.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:16:47 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »

i remember hearing Dom's version played before and after the show  when i went to see IJWMFTT  in the mission in SF. most of my  Smile mixes in the 90's were more or less this sequence. actually they still are this sequence! it just sound good to me!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »

Well, "Wind Chimes" is a giant snag.....

The only version with all the sections seems to be on "The Smile Sessions" - which has part of 'whispering winds' layered over the intro.  I can't get rid of it.  Figures that this song would be *very* unrepresented on the other discs; I was hoping to find a HQ version of the take used on the GV box, but no dice.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »

......The ones on Side 4 have no segues.

*slaps forehead*
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »

Well, "Wind Chimes" is a giant snag.....

The only version with all the sections seems to be on "The Smile Sessions" - which has part of 'whispering winds' layered over the intro.  I can't get rid of it.  Figures that this song would be *very* unrepresented on the other discs; I was hoping to find a HQ version of the take used on the GV box, but no dice.

Can't you use the MIC version which comes minus the what-on-earth-were-they-thinking 'whispering winds' intro?

It's funny how in the all the pre-release blurb for Smile Sessions it was stressed over and over again 'after all this time, we have to get it right' and then the finished result was such an awkward-sounding mess!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:51:59 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 07:10:54 AM »

I don't think I've ever told this story...  Because I had (and still have) a high-quality reel-to-reel deck, Domenic commissioned me to create a 7 1/2 ips reel of his SMiLE order from the best sources possible, for him to take to radio stations to play as he was being interviewed for Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!. It had the cross-fades and link tracks like Domenic postulated in the book.  But I could almost swear that it led off with "Our Prayer," because by that time I believe the session tape with the "intro to the album" and "Hey Denny, do you have any more of those hash joints?" had surfaced.  But maybe I have my timing wrong.  I do remember that I edited "Vega-Tables" to take out some of the stop-starts, and I tacked on the Smiley Smile version's ending, and Domenic was upset with me for taking creative license -- but ~20 years later Mark and Alan's definitive version of "Vega-Tables" on The SMiLE Sessions box followed my version almost note-for-note.

Lee

(PS: Domenic, you never did pay me for that blank reel of tape!  Wink)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:16:40 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »

Mikie, which year? I made 82 & 83 but missed 84 (Les sent me a T-shirt since I'd already paid).
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

So... Does Domenic post here?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »

Mikie, which year? I made 82 & 83 but missed 84 (Les sent me a T-shirt since I'd already paid).

Norm, I believe it was 1984. It could have been '83 but I think '84. I remember Chris Duffy from the Dennis Wilson Fan Club got up and gave a sad 'memories of Dennis' talk, so maybe it was that day. I'm sure you remember the years Steve Desper and Hal Blaine showed up - think it was either in Oakland or Emeryville. Good times. Les could really organize a convention, and he was also instrumental in making the San Diego conventions in '90 and '92 both a success.

Anyway, it was a six years after Priore played us that version of Heroes & Villains with the Cantina section that it was formally released (on the Smiley Smile CD). Pretty sure it was already circulating amongst collectors on cassettes before that - can't remember if any vinyl boots had it, but I remember the cleanest version up to that point was released on CD in 1990.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »

Norm, I believe it was 1984. It could have been '83 but I think '84. I remember Chris Duffy from the Dennis Wilson Fan Club got up and gave a sad 'memories of Dennis' talk, so maybe it was that day. I'm sure you remember the years Steve Desper and Hal Blaine showed up - think it was either in Oakland or Emeryville. Good times. Les could really organize a convention, and he was also instrumental in making the San Diego conventions in '90 and '92 both a success.

Anyway, it was a six years after Priore played us that version of Heroes & Villains with the Cantina section that it was formally released (on the Smiley Smile CD). Pretty sure it was already circulating amongst collectors on cassettes before that - can't remember if any vinyl boots had it, but I remember the cleanest version up to that point was released on CD in 1990.

Yes, sounds like 1984, Mikie. 1983 was at Jack London Square, with Stephen Douglas and Scott Matthews (sometime replacement drummer, from the Durocs).  Seems like that was Desper's year as well?  I remember Stephen Douglas going through a record bin next to the one I was looking into, when one of the speakers (a fan attendee) raised the question why the Beach Boys' records haven't sold well for the past several years, and Douglas said, barely audibly, and without even looking up, "because they haven't recorded anything worth buying".  I said nothing. How could I? 1982 was at the Oakland School of Arts and Crafts. I spent the afternoon running back out to my car to listen to the Cal-Stanford football game, which my California Golden Bears won on the infamous  5-lateral "The Play", with Kevin Moen running the kickoff through the Stanford band as time expired. And I missed it, too busy back inside picking up a 45 of Lady Lynda I won in some contest. Good times, good folk, probably saw you at one of them, sure miss Les. He sent me a SMILE tape along with Landlocked; it also had a live version of "Just A Matter Of Time" (which Brian introduced as "I'm Lost Without You") at Lake Tahoe from 1983.  Much, much better arrangement and performance than the album cut.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »

Wow - some of Domenic's choices are AWFUL.

The 'tape explosion' crashing right into "Do You Like Worms" doesn't work *at all*.  I have a feeling I'll just say 'screw it' and splice on the ending from the Smile Sessions version....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »

What is the tape explosion?  I must be familiar with this but oddly I can't imagine which bit of tape or part you are referencing.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »

The tape explosion is the bit with the whistling of the H&V horn theme over  bass vocal "dum-dum-dum's" that ends in a cacophony of feedback and delay. I always thought it went perfect with "I'm In Great Shape", followed by "Barnyard" as the tag to "Heroes & Villains". In fact, I view "Cantina" as perhaps a replacement for "Great Shape", and the "Country Western Theme" (or whatever the kids call it these days) as a replacement for "Barnyard". 
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »

Another serious "what was he thinking?" transition - cutting DYLW? right after the piano melody at the end slows down and stops for the first time (before it starts back up again and fades out), and jumping right from that moment to "The Old Master Painter".

Just awful.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »

The tape explosion is the bit with the whistling of the H&V horn theme over  bass vocal "dum-dum-dum's" that ends in a cacophony of feedback and delay. I always thought it went perfect with "I'm In Great Shape", followed by "Barnyard" as the tag to "Heroes & Villains". In fact, I view "Cantina" as perhaps a replacement for "Great Shape", and the "Country Western Theme" (or whatever the kids call it these days) as a replacement for "Barnyard". 

There's also a 'Great Shape' session where they do the tape explosion on that, too.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »

As they do on BWPS.  And the fact that there are multiple takes of the Great Shape 'tape explosion' makes me wonder why they felt the need to re-create it with digital reverb on the boxed set....
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx