gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:29:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now Al is praising Mike in an interview?  (Read 9028 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »

I'm getting mixed signals here. I thought among the reasons for the late-2012, post-C50 decisions regarding touring was that it would be more profitable for Mike to go back to his usual touring schedule and setup, so how does that square up with the notion of a "lean" budget?

I think the meaning probably being that it is profitable because it is so lean. Keep the costs down to make a reasonable profit for each show.

Not that I believe that money is the only reason by a long way that Mike wouldn`t want to tour with Al.
Nicko1234
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »

And mentioning Brian and the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds...he did that already. Not for the 50th, but he did it, through a specific "Pet Sounds Live" tour, a "Pet Sounds Live" album, and don't forget there was at least one prominent gig where he, apparently on a whim, said to the band "let's do Pet Sounds"...and they f*cking pulled it off! All of those were warmly received, they got "press", and having heard what his band did in performing those arrangements as tightly, accurately, and as respectfully as I'd assume any group of musicians could do especially on a studio album now (rightfully) considered a masterpiece, I don't know what the appeal would be to add to what was already done. They did a masterful job of staging the full album, even somewhat ahead of the curve with the recent trend in concerts featuring bands playing classic albums live in their entirety (everyone from Liz Phair to The Pixies to The Zombies have done it).

Maybe I'm just too cynical. But having Brian Wilson decide before one of his more recent shows to do Pet Sounds, unplanned, and actually pull it off is hard to top in my mind. Same with the Smile tour - That was pure magic for me, I'm afraid it's not something you'd try to repeat again because it was so well done the first time around. I know I'll most likely never see or hear a better live show than that in my lifetime, and that's a bold statement.

Like any `anniversary show` it would shift tickets but, as you say, if it were just Brian then they couldn`t really top what they`d done previously. If Al were involved for a tour (even a mini-tour) then that would add something extra.

If it were the C50 line-up then that would be a different thing of course.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »

I just can't see PS50 going unnoticed myself. Sure its been done but potentially a whole new audience will be out there in 2016 compared to 14 years previously.

Come to think of it, a C50 line-up plugging '50 Years of Pet Sounds and Good Vibe's' does have a nice ring to it!

edit....The unannounced performance of PS last year and its well received reception just indicates there is still a demand for it years after the 2002 shows.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:50:56 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »

I'm getting mixed signals here. I thought among the reasons for the late-2012, post-C50 decisions regarding touring was that it would be more profitable for Mike to go back to his usual touring schedule and setup, so how does that square up with the notion of a "lean" budget?

I think the meaning probably being that it is profitable because it is so lean. Keep the costs down to make a reasonable profit for each show.

Not that I believe that money is the only reason by a long way that Mike wouldn`t want to tour with Al.

Exactly. As the RS story of 2012 said, Mike's way of touring is very lean. Minimal party flying coach.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

I'm not sure if Al would want in now. Mikes budget is pretty lean and another member, especially an original, could blow it out.

Another point worth noting maybe. Its only another 14 months until 2016 and in some form or another, health permitting, I believe Brian should be front and center in some form of 'Pet Sounds 50th'. Whether that could involve some form of tour, mini-tour I don't know but I think Al should stick with Brian for it.

It could be an interesting time. Ideally the C50 line-up would be great because otherwise there will be comparisons in the media such as 'Brian's touring the art of Pet Sounds while Mikes doing his normal hits show' or the like.

Many here have said the C50 line-up won't happen again and that may be so but despite all the bs all parties including both Mike and Brian's bands know the importance and value of that album.

What would be interesting... mighty interesting... would be if, come 2016, Brian, Al, and David are planning a Pet Sounds 50th tour, and Brian asks Mike & Bruce to join them on the tour (or at least on a few dates). The space-time continuum might derail sooner than that happens, but I do wonder what the response would be? I could see it happening. Maybe.

I'd hope Mike would man up and join them, though I fear he may claim he's "busy" touring, which was the excuse at the 2005 Hawthorne monument ceremony. THAT was stupefying and tragic for Mike to miss.

If Brian publicly (in the media, in advance) states his intent to make such an offer, AND states that he'd work the touring AROUND the rigorous M&B touring schedule (no excuses, Mike!), would Mike have the nerve to find another excuse to be a no-show at a Pet Sounds 50th tour? Let's hope not.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:40:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »

What would be interesting... mighty interesting... would be if, come 2016, Brian, Al, and David are planning a Pet Sounds 50th tour, and Brian asks Mike & Bruce to join them on the tour (or at least on a few dates). The space-time continuum might derail sooner than that happens, but I do wonder what the response would be? I could see it happening. Maybe.

I'd hope Mike would man up and join them, though I fear he may claim he's "busy" touring, which was the excuse at the 2005 Hawthorne monument ceremony. THAT was stupefying and tragic for Mike to miss.

If Brian publicly (in the media, in advance) states his intent to make such an offer, AND states that he'd work the touring AROUND the rigorous M&B touring schedule (no excuses, Mike!), would Mike have the nerve to find another excuse to be a no-show at a Pet Sounds 50th tour? Let's hope not.

I really don`t see Mike and Bruce `guesting` with the other guys. If they are to tour then I think it would have to be planned and negotiated well in advance as C50 clearly was.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

You mean a 'set start date and set end date'? LOL

Brian could always start a campaign and 'goad' Mike and Bruce. Call them "chickensh!t to get up on stage with the Brian Wilson Band" or the like. Mike might just appreciate the humor! Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 08:03:43 AM »

I can never see it happening now but it would be pretty great if Al were to perform with the touring band imo. Not as good as C50 obviously but, of the songs regularly performed by the touring group, Al could sing:

Surfer Girl
Help Me Rhonda
Then I Kissed Her
Wouldn`t it Be Nice
Sloop John B
California Dreamin

(And I suppose it`s possible hits like Come Go With Me or Heroes and Villains might be added)

Don't forget You're So Good To Me, which is great with Al on lead, even though it's Brian on the studio version.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »

Since when does Al NOT want to join Mike's "outfit". Al's Arabian horses don't bring in nearly the income as a very lucrative deal playing as a Beach Boy. Only reason I can think of that Al would turn it down (and he hasn't said anything of the sort) is because of the exhausting touring schedule. Otherwise, Al could obviously rake in the big bucks like he did back in '98 and on the C50. Compared to playing a handful of gigs with Brian? C'mon, if Al were asked I'll betcha he'd jump all over the chance. He might have conditions, but he ain't dumb!!

Al's Arabian Horses is a good album title.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »

I think Al has pretty consistently praised Mike in interviews ... even when he also insults him in the same interviews. In the recently posted radio interview, he talks about how he thinks Mike is one of the best baritone voices ever, for example. Nothing really shocking about this one, from my perspective.

What's ironic is that it's the same behavior that Mike uses towards Brian... lots of backhanded compliments.  The entire band is grumpy old men, it's not as big of a deal as everybody makes it out to be.  When you've known somebody for 50 years they're family and people say off handed things about family all the time.  Since they're all Rock Stars it seems more extreme than it usually does in family situations, but it's the same exact thing.  These guys all sued each other, multiple times, but two years ago were standing on stages touring having a good time, high fiving they're way across the world. 

Never say never. 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 01:10:30 AM »

WOW, AL LIKES TO FLIP FLOP WAY MORE THAN FORMER UNITED STATES PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE JOHN KERRY.

EITHER CHASTISE OR PRAISE MIKE LOVE, OKAY AL? NONE OF THIS GOING BACK AND FORTH YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO FEEL ONE WAY ABOUT SOMETHING.

No mas, por favor.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 02:34:53 AM »

Why are you yelling at him? He's not deaf, is he?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »

I can never see it happening now but it would be pretty great if Al were to perform with the touring band imo. Not as good as C50 obviously but, of the songs regularly performed by the touring group, Al could sing:

Surfer Girl
Help Me Rhonda
Then I Kissed Her
Wouldn`t it Be Nice
Sloop John B
California Dreamin

(And I suppose it`s possible hits like Come Go With Me or Heroes and Villains might be added)

Don't forget You're So Good To Me, which is great with Al on lead, even though it's Brian on the studio version.

The last time I can recall Al singing "You're So Good To Me" was around 1999 in the "Family & Friends" days. He may well have done it at some other random solo gigs in subsequent years. That was one they gave to Brian on the C50 shows at which they performed it; that would have been a good one to give to Al. I'm not sure Al could sing it still in its original key, but he could have sounded better than Brian on that one.

"You're So Good To Me" is one of those weird setlist picks that isn't quite "obscure", but it's not a regular in the setlist either. Even on C50 it was only sporadically performed. I don't think it would be a regular inclusion in a Mike/Bruce setlist, but I'm not sure.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »

WOW, AL LIKES TO FLIP FLOP WAY MORE THAN FORMER UNITED STATES PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE JOHN KERRY.

EITHER CHASTISE OR PRAISE MIKE LOVE, OKAY AL? NONE OF THIS GOING BACK AND FORTH YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO FEEL ONE WAY ABOUT SOMETHING.

That hurt my eyes.

But more importantly, of course he's "allowed" to feel more than one way about something. First of all, the idea of allowing or disallowing feelings is absurd: feelings happen as they happen. Second, feelings (and thoughts) can be complex and sometimes even contradictory. That's life. It's complex sometimes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »

Feelings; nothing more than feelings

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »

I completely understand if Al doesn't want to join Mike's outfit. Al is just as completely a Beach Boy as Mike is, and more of a member  than Bruce. Why should he "guest" in his own band? The great thing about C50 was , for the first time in years, The Beach Boys weren't Mike's band, but were actually functioning as they should, with each member a complete part of it and each having a place. It might not matter as much to David, since he bowed out so early and has been "guesting" ever since. And, Bruce has basically said it's just a job. But, for Al, he's one of the voting members. To be relegated to "guest" status in a band he wants to see back in form must be insulting.

Having said that, he might agree to joining Mike if he had full status. And, we all know how likely that is.

As to the interview, Al hasn't been hiding his feelings about the end of C50. He's not happy with Mike. But, there's no reason for him to be petty and shoot down the man's contributions to the band.

No Mike, Brian and Al together=no Beach Boys to me.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »

That's what went through my head in response to the response to my intoxicated post.

No mas, por favor.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »

That's what went through my head in response to the response to my intoxicated post.

Really? What went through mine was, "what a handsome and clever intoxicated man responding to that intoxicated post."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx