gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:33:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now Al is praising Mike in an interview?  (Read 9016 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »

http://www.modbee.com/2014/10/02/3569033_brian-wilson-al-jardine-bring.html?sp=/99/2628/&rh=1
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »

This interview is already on one of the other endless threads with interviews with Al talking about the Mike & Bruce band and the Brian Wilson band and the end of the C50 and how bitching about it goes nowhere fast and the subject is really old hat and nothing can be done about it on a message board anyway!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »

I think Al has pretty consistently praised Mike in interviews ... even when he also insults him in the same interviews. In the recently posted radio interview, he talks about how he thinks Mike is one of the best baritone voices ever, for example. Nothing really shocking about this one, from my perspective.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »

Al Jardine wants back in the Beach Boys and will give Mike positive accolades whenever possible. Al stops just short of compromising his position with carefully worded statements yet doesn't want to be perceived as kissing Mike's ass in interviews.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:26:44 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »

"In my case, I threw it all away. I quit the band and went back to college.  I thought we had a great run.  We had one good album.  Then I went back to school like an idiot." 

I would love to hear that album.   Shocked
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

"In my case, I threw it all away. I quit the band and went back to college.  I thought we had a great run.  We had one good album.  Then I went back to school like an idiot." 

Time and again Al steps up to demonstrate the incredible depths of his memory

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »

If Al really wanted in on the M&B Beach Boys as badly as some think, he would have sucked it up and played at the Jones Beach show. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

"In my case, I threw it all away. I quit the band and went back to college.  I thought we had a great run.  We had one good album.  Then I went back to school like an idiot."  

I would love to hear that album.   Shocked

Oh yeah, I have that album.  I think it was recorded in the Wilson's Hawthorne living room.  That weekend when Murry and the Wife went to Mexico.  It had some songs on it like, "TV Dinners" and "Dennis Is Banging A Chick In Mom n' Dad's Room" -- which was really just an early version of "Cuckoo Clock."

All of it was really kind of sophomoric and juvenile sh-t if you ask me.  I don't know what the fck Al is talking about.  "Good album?"  Naaah...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »

To be fair, Al could be remembering the Hite-Morgan sessions as an album.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 06:56:59 AM »

If Al really wanted in on the M&B Beach Boys as badly as some think, he would have sucked it up and played at the Jones Beach show. 

Oddly, some 16 years after the fact, I don’t know if Al has ever point-blank been asked in an interview if he would like to rejoin Mike’s touring band. Not a full reunion. But would he just like to be added to Mike’s current touring band?

Whatever happened with Jones Beach, it’s probably somewhat representative of how he might feel about rejoining Mike’s band. He may be indecisive about it. My sense from interviews is he isn’t fully sure. That it’s not a very likely possibility is probably why he doesn’t consider the prospect more.

My sense is that in the late 90’s and early 2000’s there were a lot of bad feelings (understandable considering lawsuits and whatnot), but by the mid-2000’s Al seemed like maybe he would have entertained it. The problem was (and is) that he usually talks about it in the context of the full band reuniting (which I think we all agree is the far better scenario). So I don’t know if he would be into just being shoehorned into Mike’s band. I think maybe he’d go for it, but he wouldn’t want a Bruce-like position as far as being salaried and whatnot. I think theories involving Al “guesting” at scattered shows probably doesn’t appeal to him either. It’s maybe not so much ego, but more dignity. I’ve wondered if, buried in the myriad of things that caused the Jones Beach deal to sour, Al also didn’t appreciate the idea of a one-time guest star spot in his own band. 

I’ve never been super enthused about the idea of just Al rejoining Mike’s band, because Al would still not be featured very heavily. He’d get some of his standard leads, and not much else. Just like we sometimes get “Disney Girls” from Bruce, maybe sometimes we’d see Al dig out “California Saga” or something. But there wouldn’t be a lot of leads for Al to take. In Brian’s band (or his own), Al does some Mike leads. He obviously wouldn’t be doing that in Mike’s band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »

When I think of all the teeth Al could've saved, sometimes I wonder if he made the right choice.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »

If Al were to join the touring band without Brian and David, I don't think it would last long. He'd get the lead on Help Me, Rhonda, maybe WIBN and on the occasional Then I Kissed Her. He'd probably have no say in the setlists and I don't see Mike, Al and Bruce hanging out after the shows. It would be great but I don't see it. The biggest question I have is if Al did join, would Mike make him wear a Beach Boys hat?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 07:53:09 AM »

I completely understand if Al doesn't want to join Mike's outfit. Al is just as completely a Beach Boy as Mike is, and more of a member  than Bruce. Why should he "guest" in his own band? The great thing about C50 was , for the first time in years, The Beach Boys weren't Mike's band, but were actually functioning as they should, with each member a complete part of it and each having a place. It might not matter as much to David, since he bowed out so early and has been "guesting" ever since. And, Bruce has basically said it's just a job. But, for Al, he's one of the voting members. To be relegated to "guest" status in a band he wants to see back in form must be insulting.

Having said that, he might agree to joining Mike if he had full status. And, we all know how likely that is.

As to the interview, Al hasn't been hiding his feelings about the end of C50. He's not happy with Mike. But, there's no reason for him to be petty and shoot down the man's contributions to the band.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:54:43 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »

Oddly, some 16 years after the fact, I don’t know if Al has ever point-blank been asked in an interview if he would like to rejoin Mike’s touring band. Not a full reunion. But would he just like to be added to Mike’s current touring band?

Whatever happened with Jones Beach, it’s probably somewhat representative of how he might feel about rejoining Mike’s band. He may be indecisive about it. My sense from interviews is he isn’t fully sure. That it’s not a very likely possibility is probably why he doesn’t consider the prospect more.

My sense is that in the late 90’s and early 2000’s there were a lot of bad feelings (understandable considering lawsuits and whatnot), but by the mid-2000’s Al seemed like maybe he would have entertained it. The problem was (and is) that he usually talks about it in the context of the full band reuniting (which I think we all agree is the far better scenario). So I don’t know if he would be into just being shoehorned into Mike’s band. I think maybe he’d go for it, but he wouldn’t want a Bruce-like position as far as being salaried and whatnot. I think theories involving Al “guesting” at scattered shows probably doesn’t appeal to him either. It’s maybe not so much ego, but more dignity. I’ve wondered if, buried in the myriad of things that caused the Jones Beach deal to sour, Al also didn’t appreciate the idea of a one-time guest star spot in his own band. 

I’ve never been super enthused about the idea of just Al rejoining Mike’s band, because Al would still not be featured very heavily. He’d get some of his standard leads, and not much else. Just like we sometimes get “Disney Girls” from Bruce, maybe sometimes we’d see Al dig out “California Saga” or something. But there wouldn’t be a lot of leads for Al to take. In Brian’s band (or his own), Al does some Mike leads. He obviously wouldn’t be doing that in Mike’s band.

I think everyone could understand if Al doesn`t want to be a guest in his own band. The only unfortunate thing with that show is that people bought tickets expecting him to be there and that his non-appearance was announced so late.

I can never see it happening now but it would be pretty great if Al were to perform with the touring band imo. Not as good as C50 obviously but, of the songs regularly performed by the touring group, Al could sing:

Surfer Girl
Help Me Rhonda
Then I Kissed Her
Wouldn`t it Be Nice
Sloop John B
California Dreamin

(And I suppose it`s possible hits like Come Go With Me or Heroes and Villains might be added)

They would actually be very, very few songs in the setlist not being sung by true Beach Boys.

I can completely understand why Al wouldn`t be interested though.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »

Since when does Al NOT want to join Mike's "outfit". Al's Arabian horses don't bring in nearly the income as a very lucrative deal playing as a Beach Boy. Only reason I can think of that Al would turn it down (and he hasn't said anything of the sort) is because of the exhausting touring schedule. Otherwise, Al could obviously rake in the big bucks like he did back in '98 and on the C50. Compared to playing a handful of gigs with Brian? C'mon, if Al were asked I'll betcha he'd jump all over the chance. He might have conditions, but he ain't dumb!!

Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »

Since when does Al NOT want to join Mike's "outfit". Al's Arabian horses don't bring in nearly the income as a very lucrative deal playing as a Beach Boy. Only reason I can think of that Al would turn it down (and he hasn't said anything of the sort) is because of the exhausting touring schedule. Otherwise, Al could obviously rake in the big bucks like he did back in '98 and on the C50. Compared to playing a handful of gigs with Brian? C'mon, if Al were asked I'll betcha he'd jump all over the chance. He might have conditions, but he ain't dumb!!

Being Mike`s employee may well be another reason...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »

Being Mike`s employee may well be another reason...

Something along these lines may well have been Al's "issue" back circa 1997, and the issue that Carl didn't back him in contesting.

That Al would consider returning now would or could mean all sorts of things: The last 15 years was a bit clusterf*** of a waste. Or, Al is being the bigger man and "getting over" it. Or, Al has lowered his standards. Difficult to say.

Considering they couldn't get on the same page for one gig at Jones Beach, I'd say the most likely scenario where Al appears on stage with Mike would be another full reunion tour.

Hopefully someone can point-blank ask Al if he would join Mike's band as-is.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »

I'm not sure if Al would want in now. Mikes budget is pretty lean and another member, especially an original, could blow it out.

Another point worth noting maybe. Its only another 14 months until 2016 and in some form or another, health permitting, I believe Brian should be front and center in some form of 'Pet Sounds 50th'. Whether that could involve some form of tour, mini-tour I don't know but I think Al should stick with Brian for it.

It could be an interesting time. Ideally the C50 line-up would be great because otherwise there will be comparisons in the media such as 'Brian's touring the art of Pet Sounds while Mikes doing his normal hits show' or the like.

Many here have said the C50 line-up won't happen again and that may be so but despite all the bs all parties including both Mike and Brian's bands know the importance and value of that album.
Nicko1234
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »

I'm not sure if Al would want in now. Mikes budget is pretty lean and another member, especially an original, could blow it out.

Another point worth noting maybe. Its only another 14 months until 2016 and in some form or another, health permitting, I believe Brian should be front and center in some form of 'Pet Sounds 50th'. Whether that could involve some form of tour, mini-tour I don't know but I think Al should stick with Brian for it.

It could be an interesting time. Ideally the C50 line-up would be great because otherwise there will be comparisons in the media such as 'Brian's touring the art of Pet Sounds while Mikes doing his normal hits show' or the like.

Many here have said the C50 line-up won't happen again and that may be so but despite all the bs all parties including both Mike and Brian's bands know the importance and value of that album.

True.

But Mike and Bruce plugging `50 years of Good Vibrations` seems more likely at the moment.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

Don't need to add any more band members. Just subtract one through attrition (like Mike's son) or by other means. Maybe Al would be satisfied with that, who knows?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »

True.

But Mike and Bruce plugging `50 years of Good Vibrations` seems more likely at the moment.

...and won't it be another Beach Boys missed opportunity to celebrate both? A damn shame IMO.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »

Don't need to add any more band members. Just subtract one through attrition (like Mike's son) or by other means. Maybe Al would be satisfied with that, who knows?

I think the fact that Al presumably was not the first one called (or called at all) when Christian left, and the fact that instead of Al he added Foskett even though the band already had a falsetto guy, speaks pretty well to the idea that Mike isn't super into adding Al to the band.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »

I'm getting mixed signals here. I thought among the reasons for the late-2012, post-C50 decisions regarding touring was that it would be more profitable for Mike to go back to his usual touring schedule and setup, so how does that square up with the notion of a "lean" budget?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »

And mentioning Brian and the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds...he did that already. Not for the 50th, but he did it, through a specific "Pet Sounds Live" tour, a "Pet Sounds Live" album, and don't forget there was at least one prominent gig where he, apparently on a whim, said to the band "let's do Pet Sounds"...and they f*cking pulled it off! All of those were warmly received, they got "press", and having heard what his band did in performing those arrangements as tightly, accurately, and as respectfully as I'd assume any group of musicians could do especially on a studio album now (rightfully) considered a masterpiece, I don't know what the appeal would be to add to what was already done. They did a masterful job of staging the full album, even somewhat ahead of the curve with the recent trend in concerts featuring bands playing classic albums live in their entirety (everyone from Liz Phair to The Pixies to The Zombies have done it).

Maybe I'm just too cynical. But having Brian Wilson decide before one of his more recent shows to do Pet Sounds, unplanned, and actually pull it off is hard to top in my mind. Same with the Smile tour - That was pure magic for me, I'm afraid it's not something you'd try to repeat again because it was so well done the first time around. I know I'll most likely never see or hear a better live show than that in my lifetime, and that's a bold statement.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx