gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:10:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ADAM MARSLAND'S CHAOS BAND PRESENT "THE SONGS OF DENNIS AND CARL WILSON"  (Read 8798 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 12:01:55 PM »

Not to contradict, but Adam posted somewhere that due to your complicated rig, in many instance YOU GUYS are the first band.  Might want to check from venue to venue, folks...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 12:44:03 PM »

Egads, you're right, Susan...

We're up first, 8:15.

Yikes....
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 01:11:25 PM »

Cool!  We get what we want and we can go somewhere else while the night is still young!   LOL
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 04:54:45 PM »

Alan, don't know if you're still monitoring this thread, but just wanted to wish you guys good luck and I'll see ya next weekend!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 09:53:58 AM »

Update --

I have heard from Leon and he may be in with us (uncertain yet).   I think he is OK with the plans as listed above; under that assumption, let's call it final.  Panda Inn around 5:45 or so (splitting 5:30 and 6) for dinner and going to the show at Polo's afterward tomorrow night.  Looking forward to it!

Alan, here's praying you all have a safe flight.  And Rob, drive safely tomorrow.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2006, 10:20:53 PM »

Wow, what a night.  The whole day was great for me, as I got to see my girl at two parties (watching your daughter have fun is always the best).  But it only got better.

First off, the dinner went great.  It was the McCabes and I for a long while, and we caught up on the board world as you only can face to face.  About 2/3s of the way through, the band mostly came in to grab Chinese to go and sat with us for a while:

Adam was agitated because the sound man was VERY late and so there would be no good sound check.  But we had a good if brief chat.  Most of them left after about 15 minutes, but Alan Boyd hung out a good while longer.  Not only did we get some good BB insight, I learned that he and I have some similar interest in old film and film preservation.   Good conversation all around.  A couple other BB fans showed up from Cincy, and note that they WILL be at the Covington show, so there is some companionship to seek.

And the show!  What a great show it was.  Some pix:

(click on the pic for a larger version)

While the Wondermints and Brian's band works to replicate Brian's work as exactly as possible, the Chaos Band takes another approach.  This makes sense, in that Brian worked up elaborate productions with intricate arrangements, communicating emotion like the cry of a child in some ways, very delicate.  Dennis, on the other hand, was passionate like the force of an open vein.  He wore his heart on his sleeve and was about intensity.  So that's how the Chaos Band went -- to replicate the feel of a Denny track as opposed to the sound.  And they nailed the feel IMO.

The show both opened and closed (with one exception) with original material by Adam, Alan, and Evie, and while I didn't know any of it in advance, I enjoyed it.  But the music was a hardcore's dream:  live versions of many songs you never dreamed you would hear.  I didn't make a set list, but let's see:

they did (not in this order)

River Song
Moonshine
Long Promised Road
Trader
Little Bird
Celebrate the News
All I Want To Do
Forever
Got To Know the Woman
Where I Belong
Keeping the Summer Alive
What's Wrong
Baby Blue
Angel Come Home

Final song: Heroes and Villains, closer to the 1973 version than the 1967 version.

PLUS full band versions of Carry Me Home and Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again.  And now that I have heard more than a piano doing that song, I want someone to release that sucker somehow -- the band version blew away the piano demo Alan provided us.  I was completely impressed, and came away thinking that had Denny lived, this group could have been for him what the Mints were for Brian.

And as if this evening hadn't been enough, all six stuck around for over an hour to hang out.  So we got to talk with Alan Boyd for most of that time.  It was a great rap that covered the Endless Harmony doc, why Smile died, Brian and Mike's relationship, Alan's stories of working with the band, Phil Spector, and the future of the new BB website.  All six of them were great, but Alan in particular was the kind of guy you want to go to a coffee shop with, get something and kick back a whole afternoon (as opposed to a parking lot in sub-60 degree weather in shorts).  Totally appreciated by us.

And also, one last pic of me and Rob McCabe (I'm on the left):

Bottom line:  if you can see this show, GO!  It is a dream for hardcore fans.  When he said that the following song would test the knowledge of the fans present (introducing Where I Belong), Adam followed it up with "Yes, it's from Summer In Paradise": "Lahaina Aloha".  You know that they are hardcore when they make a joke like that...
Wilsonista
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2006, 10:32:06 PM »

Man, Jeff, that was fast!

What Jeff said.  (Maybe I'll add more when I'm not half-asleep!)  Although Jeff did leave out one thing.  The totally bitchin' cover of All I Want to do - Adam sings it better than Mike Love ever could. Grin
Good night!
Rob

I REALLY must have been half asleep because I now realize Jeff did mention AIWTD. Whoops!!!!

Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 01:27:24 PM by Wilsonista » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2006, 11:44:37 PM »

That sounds like a really cool time.  I'm looking forward to hearing the whole set, since they only did a few songs here before they left.

I really liked their version of "Where I Belong."  For some reason that song in general has been hitting me pretty hard lately, and I thought it was a good choice of a later Carl song.

Glad the meet-up got to work out!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »

They need to come to Miami...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »

They need to come to Miami...

And then Connecticut...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »

And a stopover at Atlanta on their way to CT!

Thanks for the reviews, guys. Glad to hear you enjoyed the show as much as I did last year. Can you elaborate on what Alan B. said about the new BB website?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 08:25:06 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 04:13:05 AM »

Alan, I hope this is OK -- you never really said it was hush hush...

High level -- details are still being ironed out on legalities of tape ownership before it can go live.  The intent is to sell both downloads and silver CDs.  One of the first projects intended is a Carnegie Hall set.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 10:36:57 AM »

That's great news!

Happy dance!!!! Happy Dance

Jason
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 11:50:36 AM »

Alan, I hope this is OK -- you never really said it was hush hush...

High level -- details are still being ironed out on legalities of tape ownership before it can go live.  The intent is to sell both downloads and silver CDs.  One of the first projects intended is a Carnegie Hall set.

Wow, that's awesome!
Wilsonista
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 01:28:15 PM »

Can I also add that their version of "River Song" is awe-inspiring?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 04:53:52 PM »

Can I also add that their version of "River Song" is awe-inspiring?

crap, wish i had read this thread earlier....i am in ironton, ohio..2hrs south of columbus. i wish i had made the trip rob..could have talked about the ol days from cabinessence.com  Smiley   <--clue-->  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 04:56:13 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »

Well, you could still catch them in Covington, KY -- that's basically Cincy.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 04:56:35 PM »

Well, you could still catch them in Covington, KY -- that's basically Cincy.

when are they there?

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 04:59:13 PM »

This Thursday.
http://www.myspace.com/denniscarltour
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 05:00:24 PM »

ok ..thanks...anyone else here going??

Mark Kidd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 12:02:44 AM »

I'll be there, probably with at least one or two other folks from central Kentucky. I realize I'm a pretty new registrant (been lurking around for a bit though).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx