gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:59:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegetables - Laughing Gravy  (Read 8596 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

I've just confirmed that the version that is on Varese's JAN AND DEAN'S GOLDEN SUMMER DAYS - THE LEGENDARY MASKED SURFERS AND Varese's DEAN TORRENCE ANTHOLOGY -- LEGENDARY MASKED SURFER UNMASKED are one and the same.  They are the later version overdubbed by Brian, Marilyn, and Diane.  Brian is most audible on the line "I'm red as a beet, cause I'm so embarrassed."

The Laughing Gravy version uses the same backing track, but the vocals are much sparser.  The easiest way to tell the Laughing Gravy version is at the end, where the background vocalists chant "Carrots, celery," on the original 1968 version you hear some young children (who must have been asked to help with the chant) squeal in amusement.  I wonder if Dean remembers who they were.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:40:40 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »

Talking about The Laughing Gravy, this was just posted on facebook. Brian doin' his best Stan Laurel:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:19:45 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »

Talking about The Laughing Gravy, this was just posted on facebook. Brian doin' his best Stan Laurel:

I wonder if there's one from Mike somewhere

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:43 AM »

There is potential...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:01 AM »

I don't see anything addressing this here, so I'll just ask: is the backing track to the Laughing Gravy single a backing track from Brian's actual SMiLE sessions or no? (I haven't had the SMiLE #2 vinyl for years, so I haven't heard it in so long I can't recall what it sounds like. Other than I always liked the list of veggies sung over the outro--wish the BB's had done that too...)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »

I don't think so, though it was rumoured to be at the time.

The Brian/Spring version is also on the Pet Projects CD. Don't think I've heard the original! (the link AGD posted I think was the Spring one; sounds like the one I've got)

Watch out for snakes!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »

I think the assertion that the Laughing Gravy track was an unused SMiLE track originated in Brad Elliott's book.  Since then I think facts have proven that that assertion was incorrect.

I've always wondered about the session for "Vegetables" that Rodney Bingenheimer says he attended.  He says that he yelled "TV dinners and tomatoes" when asked to yell his favorite vegetables.  "TV dinners" a vegetable?... I don't think Rodney was a Rhodes Scholar...

Lee
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

It's easy to see where the yelling would fit in. Imagine that a capella bit with someone shouting out the name of their favorite vegetable at the end. Then people shouting out all kinds of stuff during the more fleshed out instrumental.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »

I don't see anything addressing this here, so I'll just ask: is the backing track to the Laughing Gravy single a backing track from Brian's actual SMiLE sessions or no?

Nope. Long-disproven BB urban myth.

I think the assertion that the Laughing Gravy track was an unused SMiLE track originated in Brad Elliott's book. 

Correctamundo: on p. 180 of the original edition, it is stated "According to [Dean] Torrence, "Vegetables" was recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions. Dean sings lead over a backing track that may be a Smile relic."

In fact, subsequent research established that Brian had no direct involvement with the LG version whatsoever.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:20:17 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »

Hope they get it right.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »

<<Correctamundo: on p. 180 of the original edition, it is stated "According to [Dean] Torrence, "Vegetables" was recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions. Dean sings lead over a backing track that may be a Smile relic.">>

This was tracked in Joe Osborn's garage, same place Dean produced the sessions for the first, mono version of Save For A Rainy Day. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx