gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:55:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegetables - Laughing Gravy  (Read 8569 times)
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »

Hello all,

Regarding the album In the Garden: The White Whale Story . . . The CD Universe site has an audio preview of "Vegetables" by Laughing Gravy. Click here, scroll down, and listen.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the original 1967 White Whale version of the song, based on this short clip? Or is it a mistake? Dean Torrence is clearly not the lead singer on the version linked here.

Dean has told David Beard (his main outlet for public consumption) that he does not remember the differences between the original 1967 version and the later Anthology version with Brian Wilson and Spring singing harmonies along with Dean's lead.

The J&D Anthology album was apparently released in late 1971 (the year listed on the back cover). The album was reviewed in Billboard in January 1972.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:27:18 AM »

Hello all,

Regarding the album In the Garden: The White Whale Story . . . The CD Universe site has an audio preview of "Vegetables" by Laughing Gravy. Click here, scroll down, and listen.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the original 1967 White Whale version of the song, based on this short clip? Or is it a mistake? Dean Torrence is clearly not the lead singer on the version linked here.

Dean has told David Beard (his main outlet for public consumption) that he does not remember the differences between the original 1967 version and the later Anthology version with Brian Wilson and Spring singing harmonies along with Dean's lead.

The J&D Anthology album was apparently released in late 1971 (the year listed on the back cover). The album was reviewed in Billboard in January 1972.

It's NOT the version from the 45 ( WW-261) or the later repackaging, Gotta Take that One Last Ride

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:50:41 AM »

I've got the 1967 version by Dean... sounds pretty close to the 1972 version, with fewer vocal overdubs... slightly thinner sound, but definitely all Dean Torrence.  So it sounds like somebody screwed up when compiling this collection.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »

I agree.  This sounds like a contemporary recording.  Although I don't have the White Whale compilation, I would be surprised if it didn't have the right version, and that it's CD Universe's database of samples that's picking up the wrong version.  I'll have to listen to my collection of tribute CD's to see where this version originates.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:40:23 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

well it definitely  a brand new recording, I can hear Dean in the background doing falsetto but the lead singer sounds like Jeff Foskett to me.. also the Laughing Gravy/J&D version doesn't have the "eat a lot sleep a lot etc" section.. but it's interesting to hear this version.. maybe Laughing Gravy made a comeback or something recently.. BTW Laughing Gravy is based on the Laurel and Hardy film of the same name... Razz
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »

Agreed - that's neither the 1967 nor the 1972 version. Someone's dropped a mighty clanger here.

Laughing Gravy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

I have the white whale cd and it does indeed have the original laughing gravy version without the 71 vocal overdubs.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

That sounds like the version from the CD "A Tribute to Brian Wilson" by Cameron Michael Parks from around 10 years ago.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »

I don't hear Dean on this at all.  His falsetto is very distinctive and I don't hear it on this track.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »

That sounds like the version from the CD "A Tribute to Brian Wilson" by Cameron Michael Parks from around 10 years ago.

Sounds Exactly Right!!    
Here,  http://www.ftpsearch.co/browse-en/71.225.112.170/MEDIADRIVE2/Music/Cameron+Michael+Parkes/A+Tribute+to+Brian+Wilson/08+-+Vegetables.mp3

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »

Okay, good. I thought I had both versions, but that audio clip gave me a Twilight Zone moment.

That clip is not Cameron, but he did include the "Eat a lot" part on his version.

M.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »

I am fairly certain this is Cameron's version....I was obsessed with his tribute album, it's one of my favorites. I think there was a second version on the album as a bonus track, so it may be that version. There's just something about his recordings, they sound very particular. The whistling, eat a lot part, the instruments used....all on Cameron's version(s).

What overdubs were recorded for the early 70's version? Was the photo of that session the one with Brian, Dean, Marilyn, and Diane in the studio?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:31:03 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »

Okay, good. I thought I had both versions, but that audio clip gave me a Twilight Zone moment.

That clip is not Cameron, but he did include the "Eat a lot" part on his version.

M.

If it's not Cameron, since you seem to know now,who is it?

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

I have no idea who it is.

I've worked with Cameron, and it just doesn't sound like his voice to me, in terms of lead vocal. If it's something he did with his band, I've never heard it before.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »

I have no idea who it is.

I've worked with Cameron, and it just doesn't sound like his voice to me, in terms of lead vocal. If it's something he did with his band, I've never heard it before.

Oh, OK. Your ears are probably better than mine. The link  I posted  to his track sounded like the same version to me. The alternate version seemed much slower. 

Both versions:  http://www.ftpsearch.co/browse-en/71.225.112.170/MEDIADRIVE2/Music/Cameron+Michael+Parkes/A+Tribute+to+Brian+Wilson/

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »

Ok I just listened to Cameron's version on his A TRIBUTE TO BRIAN WILSON album via iTunes, and I am 100% certain that it's the same as the CD Universe preview in the original post.  Mark, CD Universe compresses those previews so much that it probably sounds foreign to your ears, but it's definitely Cameron's version.

Lee
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »

Well, here's the hilarious thing. I just went back and listened at CD Universe, and now it IS playing Cameron's version.

But when I made the original post, it was playing a completely different version. Different arrangement and different voices. I'm so familiar with Cameron's voice, I would have recognized his version immediately when hearing it; and there would have been no reason for the post.

Strangeness . . .

John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »

Around 1991 I picked up The Early Years version of Smile on CD from Red Eye Records in Sydney. The quality was obviously from cassettes and some songs were not from the SMiLE sessions such as Heroes and Villains and Wind Chimes (both from Smiley Smile) and Vegetables (which was the Laughing Gravy version!). A year later I got the Chapter One release which was way better in terms of audio quality. Anyway, this was the pre-internet era (that is 1995 onwards and Windows 95 made us all computer/internet users) and I wasn't to know that this version of Vegetables was not by the Beach Boys until a few years later. It's a great cover version though, I've always admired it!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »

The CD "A Tribute to Brian Wilson" by Cameron Michael Parks. Very good CD. Highly recommend searching it down.

Seems to me I remember......wasn't the Laughing Gravy version of Vegetables also on one or more of the early vinyl SMiLE bootlegs?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »

So... WW have replaced the faux LG version... with another faux LG version ?  Mark, I think you need to put these boys straight !

Mikie - yeas, the first (1983) Smile vinyl boot. Brad didn't have the pukka version then...  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 11:56:49 PM »

I only know the track on the Smile boot.  Is that one the 1967 or 1972 version?  Just curious.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 06:46:30 AM »

Well, here's the hilarious thing. I just went back and listened at CD Universe, and now it IS playing Cameron's version.

But when I made the original post, it was playing a completely different version. Different arrangement and different voices. I'm so familiar with Cameron's voice, I would have recognized his version immediately when hearing it; and there would have been no reason for the post.

Strangeness . . .

Bizarre, sin't it?
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »

Strangeness . . .

That is weird -- but you are right Mark; the first time I listened to the CD Universe link, it was a version with just two acoustic guitars and vocals -- but still a "modern" re-recording, and IMO having nothing to do with the Beach Boys, Dean Torrence, or anyone else of the period.  Now the link definitely goes to Cameron's version.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:38:02 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »

Yeah, Dean had said there were multiple early versions . . . and I just wanted to make sure that White Whale release wasn't throwing on some alternate version, like Dean producing a take with other vocalists in Joe Osborn's garage studio.

Some of the same vocalists who sang on "Yellow Balloon" also did vocals for Carnival of Sound.

Stupid interwebs . . . Ha!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »

Okay, so this is all quite confusing. Can anybody tell me how I can identify which version is the 1967 Laughing Gravy version and which version is the 1971 Jan & Dean Anthology Album version? Are Brian and the Rovell sisters not on the 1967 version? And the version AGD posted upthread, that is listed as the Laughing Gravy version, is that correct? Cuz it sounds just like the version I have.

And anyways, I have Dean's "Vegetables" on two CDs. I have it on the Jan & Dean Anthology Album, which I assume is the version with Brian and the girls, right? The one that was released on a Jan & Dean single in 1971. Then I also have, The Dean Torrence Anthology — Legendary Masked Surfer — Unmasked . And the liner notes indicate that it features Brian Wilson and the Rovell sisters. Confusingly however, the song is credited to Laughing Gravy. I haven't done a side-by-side listen to both versions in a bit, but I'm pretty sure they are both the same. Anybody know though?

Also, if neither of these include the 1967 Laughing Gravy version, does anybody know where it truly can be procured?

I have the white whale cd and it does indeed have the original laughing gravy version without the 71 vocal overdubs.

Bicyclerider, so the CD mentioned in this thread actually has the original Laughing Gravy version?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx