gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:14:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glen Campbell's final song released today  (Read 6191 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFzr0KtKr4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Backstory:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-glen-campbell-alzheimers-final-recording-documentary-20140908-story.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:04:00 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:40:42 AM »

Absolutely. Heartbreaking.

and that's a Wilsonian stack o' vocals if I ever heard one...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »

That article made me extremely sad.  Sad

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:50:02 AM »

Seems like illness didn't impact his voice, all the elements are intact (pitch, strength, depth etc.). A real shame it's the last recording. Beautiful song.

Would like to see that documentary to hear the soundtrack, esp. "Home Again" by Glen's daughter.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »

Glen's last two full length cds were very solid and this last tune is another gem.  Can't wait to see the doc.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 01:40:36 AM »

Glen's last two full length cds were very solid and this last tune is another gem.  Can't wait to see the doc.

I'm hoping I don't have to wait too long to see it. Checked the website, no showing here in the NW listed.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »

Why is this in the general music section?
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »

Why is this in the general music section?

Somebody moved it. I guess being a temporary replacement doesn't count.  Undecided
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »

With video...

https://screen.yahoo.com/vevo-country/im-not-gonna-miss-142315234.html

Heartbreaking.   
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »

Thank you for sharing the link. That is a very emotional piece. It is kind of reminiscent of Johnny Cash's "Hurt" song/video.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 11:44:54 PM »

At first I thought "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" was his "f you" to  Alzheimer's. But as the song and video played on, I suddenly realized why he's "not gonna miss you"...and It broke my heart.  Cry

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »

Yup, even thought it was recorded several years ago, this song is a heartbreaker and tear-jerker.  Sad.  Anyone seen the movie yet?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »

I've had a couple dreams lately where Glen is well again, singing and playing his guitar. If only.....
zachrwolfe
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:00:10 PM by zatch » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »

I know I'm kinda late to this (only listened to it about a week ago), but just wanted to say what a great song I think this is for him to go out on.
Here's the video on YouTube, BTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI
Great song indeed (and voice!), but why not go out on sth. more positive? I don't get why old-timers have to finish their career like that. It's only worse, because they would reminisce sad things of the past. If they retire doesn't mean the life is over, it's not death. They still can perform on stage their oldies, plan small gigs for mini-audience etc.

The video is beautiful, on the other hand. Glen's lucky to have such a loving family.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 12:29:45 AM »

I know I'm kinda late to this (only listened to it about a week ago), but just wanted to say what a great song I think this is for him to go out on.
Here's the video on YouTube, BTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI
Great song indeed (and voice!), but why not go out on sth. more positive? I don't get why old-timers have to finish their career like that. It's only worse, because they would reminisce sad things of the past. If they retire doesn't mean the life is over, it's not death. They still can perform on stage their oldies, plan small gigs for mini-audience etc.

The video is beautiful, on the other hand. Glen's lucky to have such a loving family.
It would be fake to have Glen go out on a happy note, he's got Alzheimer's. I guess you don't know how terrible that is until you see your own family members affected by it. My grandma had it, she didn't know who I was the last couple years of her life.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »

If they retire doesn't mean the life is over, it's not death. They still can perform on stage their oldies, plan small gigs for mini-audience etc.

Glen cant do any of that.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:11:59 AM »

The Glen documentary "I'll Be Me" is now on Netflix instant play.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:36 PM »

The Glen documentary "I'll Be Me" is now on Netflix instant play.
I got the dvd last month. Not your typical concert documentary. Really heartbreaking at times, although Glen's attitude is admirable throughout. And he could still sing and play wonderfully!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 12:42:12 AM »

It would be fake to have Glen go out on a happy note, he's got Alzheimer's. I guess you don't know how terrible that is until you see your own family members affected by it. My grandma had it, she didn't know who I was the last couple years of her life.
I know that it affects brains. Sorry about your grandma. But we're speaking of famous musician and music serves to  bring  joy to people/fans. It's the last recording. I think just one more time it could be possible for Glen, with the help of crew, to  record an uplifting song. He could feel better inside whereas singing lines about his disease only makes him remember it.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 12:47:49 AM »

I know that it affects brains. Sorry about your grandma. But we're speaking of famous musician and music serves to  bring  joy to people/fans. It's the last recording. I think just one more time it could be possible for Glen, with the help of crew, to  record an uplifting song. He could feel better inside whereas singing lines about his disease only makes him remember it.

At this point in his illness, GC is no longer able to speak coherently, let alone sing. The song in question was recorded a couple of years ago, if not longer. Glen did a final tour, after making these recordings, that was indeed joyous and upbeat.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:50:31 AM by Wirestone » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 12:59:11 AM »

That's too bad. But am glad he ended on a happy note, as I predicted. I knew he's a brave man.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

I know that it affects brains. Sorry about your grandma. But we're speaking of famous musician and music serves to  bring  joy to people/fans. It's the last recording. I think just one more time it could be possible for Glen, with the help of crew, to  record an uplifting song. He could feel better inside whereas singing lines about his disease only makes him remember it.

At this point in his illness, GC is no longer able to speak coherently, let alone sing. The song in question was recorded a couple of years ago, if not longer. Glen did a final tour, after making these recordings, that was indeed joyous and upbeat.

Saw the tour and I'm not ashamed to say I wept. The Moon's a Harsh Mistress was the one that did it for me. Terrible, terrible disease and the worst thing is, it's potentially curable but nothing yet. Too late for my mother, anyhow.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx