gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:34:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool pictures of cool people with Brian at 'George Fest', Sept. 29  (Read 12542 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:07:40 PM »

I hear the raindrops of Diamond Head (the instrumental) at 1:25...anyone else hear that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »

Something humorous to add about that clip of My Sweet Lord: Listen for someone accidentally kicking or bumping either a guitar amp or even an old Fender spring reverb tank several times during the performance, and creating that thunder-crash sound effect that only kicking or bumping a spring reverb tank can create. Shades of "Diamond Head"! Definitely not a planned part of that performance, but it would have been perfect if they had decided to play Diamond Head.  Grin

Ahhhh! I see! Thanks!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »

Who's the guy in drag( with the long dark hair) to Brian's right?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »

Something humorous to add about that clip of My Sweet Lord: Listen for someone accidentally kicking or bumping either a guitar amp or even an old Fender spring reverb tank several times during the performance, and creating that thunder-crash sound effect that only kicking or bumping a spring reverb tank can create. Shades of "Diamond Head"! Definitely not a planned part of that performance, but it would have been perfect if they had decided to play Diamond Head.  Grin

I KNEW I recognized that sound. Done it myself a few times.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »

I have to say, Brian hit some of the most off notes I've ever heard him hit in that clip.  But when he got into it?  There was real enthusiasm in the way he was improvising around the melody -- singing just for the sake of singing.  Great to hear...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

I don't know what you're getting on with that "man in drag" crap.  That's Ann Wilson, the lead singer of Heart and I think she looks great, especially for a woman her age.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 12:07:25 AM »

I don't know what you're getting on with that "man in drag" crap.  That's Ann Wilson, the lead singer of Heart and I think she looks great, especially for a woman her age.

Ann looks great and she sounds even better than she looks.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »

Ann is kicking serious ass these days! She looks fantastic and the current Heart lineup really rocks! The stuff they're doing is pretty damn agressive.

Watching the "My Sweet Lord" vid: am I the only one who wishes they just had Al sing the lead? ..... I agree Brian sounds good (at first) ..... but AL JARDINE is standing right there! One of the best, STILL, one of the best voices in music history!
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

Ann is kicking serious ass these days! She looks fantastic and the current Heart lineup really rocks! The stuff they're doing is pretty damn agressive.

Watching the "My Sweet Lord" vid: am I the only one who wishes they just had Al sing the lead? ..... I agree Brian sounds good (at first) ..... but AL JARDINE is standing right there! One of the best, STILL, one of the best voices in music history!

Naw, Brian owned this. His vocal isn't perfect, but man he went all in.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »

Yes at over 5 minutes there was room for Al to come in. Not what the musical director wanted perhaps.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »

I'm with you. Brian wasn't 100% on pitch, but I vastly prefer him singing with feeling than 'Robo-Brian'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »

In the eye of the beholder, I guess. Perhaps it's the bag lady dress that threw me ( think I saw her walking down the street today)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

I'm with you. Brian wasn't 100% on pitch, but I vastly prefer him singing with feeling than 'Robo-Brian'.

I agree that Brian went all in. It's not a criticizm of Brian, but rather, AL is standing right there: let him have a verse ...... You know he would have killed it!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »

Actually at 2.56 it looks like he wants Al to sing.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »

He was also a member of the "Fab Faux", alongside fellow Beatle freak, late night house band musician, and incredible motherf*cker of a session player, bassist Will Lee. The Fab Faux is perhaps THE BEST Beatle tribute band in the business, bar none, and they go for authenticity and respect for the music versus wearing costumes and wigs to get the look.

If you want to hear top-notch musicians playing the Beatles tunes to a "T", check out the "Fab Faux".

You're so right about this Guitarfool. When I was working in New York in the late 90s, I had the opportunity to both hang out and jam with Will over a few days in the studio as he was working with my friend Delmar Brown. We all had such a blast. Will steered us into Beatles territory, and we played many songs from their catalog.

It's great to see Brian in a setting like this. I know it's been quite a while now, but I'm still stunned and thankful for how far Brian has come back. I thought for sure for a period of time that we would lose him. Amazing, really.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:02:35 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »

Watched it for like the 20th time...listening to it on good quality headphones...I LOVE when Brian starts playing around with it on the 2nd half, esp. the 'my my my' parts... the guy's still got it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »

Does anyone know if George was ever quoted on the topic of Brian, or Pet Sounds? John and Paul are often cited, but does the quiet Beatle live up to his name on this one? Lips Sealed
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »

Yeah, Weird Al's cover of "What Is Life" blew me away.  That's the only other time I've heard him do a serious cover - he often does "Radio, Radio" if something in his concerts goes wrong.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

That was charming & rocking all the same. Something was wrong with the flow of the melody, as if they wanted to finish it halfway, then someone invisibly gave a sign to continue. The slide guitar was kinda out of sync with other instruments during solo, as well as some guests were repeating "Hallelujah" where they should've been "hare krishna". But this is a minor complaint, nothing to do with Brian, who sang it amazingly. Always loved the song, very cool that he was honored to cover one of George's smash hits (unlike "Wanderlust" on Paul's tribute). Nice adlibbing on "my, my".

Haven't heard the rest of the fest.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »

Does anyone know if George was ever quoted on the topic of Brian, or Pet Sounds? John and Paul are often cited, but does the quiet Beatle live up to his name on this one? Lips Sealed

I’ve never been able to find many examples of George discussing Brian or the BB’s, or even uttering either name.

There is a segment in the “Beatles Anthology” documentary where Paul, George, and Ringo are being interviewed as a group, and they are discussing  “Paperback Writer” (and trying to perform the song live). George mentions they were “trying to compete” with the Beach Boys and “Pet Sounds.” But, and this is just my reading, I’ve always read George’s comment as more of a case of following Paul’s lead on the topic. I don’t think George was heavy into the BB’s back in 1966. I think he was doing what sometimes happens in group interviews (especially the slightly awkward group interviews they did for “Anthology”); he was essentially answering the question for Paul, almost making the comment as if it’s a question. George makes the comment almost the same way an interviewer would bring the topic up to Paul, as if “so Paul, you recorded “Paperback Writer”, and back then you were trying to compete with the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds.”

I still love that story Al told about “apologizing” about Mike to George and Ringo at the R&R Hall of Fame ceremony.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »

I still love that story Al told about “apologizing” about Mike to George and Ringo at the R&R Hall of Fame ceremony.

I wasn't familiar with that, so I googled & read it. Now I love it too.   Azn

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »

The quote, for those of you wondering:

"Dazed and horrified, Al walked up to where George Harrison and Ringo Starr were sitting. “I said, ‘Geez, guys, I really want to apologize for that speech. My partner is not feeling well.’ Then Ringo put his head on my shoulder and said, ‘It’s okay, we love you guys.’ George’s classic remark was, ‘I guess Mike didn’t listen to the Maharishi, did he?’ Then he put his head on my shoulder, too, and it was really quite sweet.”"

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »

George’s classic remark was, ‘I guess Mike didn’t listen to the Maharishi, did he?’ Then he put his head on my shoulder, too, and it was really quite sweet.”"

How dare George! Mike is his "Pisces Brother"!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »

George’s classic remark was, ‘I guess Mike didn’t listen to the Maharishi, did he?’ Then he put his head on my shoulder, too, and it was really quite sweet.”"

LOL
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »

LOL
Well, that explains why Mike wasn't at Concert for George.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:22:38 PM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx