gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:58:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike announces Dave will be joining him for three Beach Boys shows  (Read 19003 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »

As the great poem states: "They crowd the stage with countless hoards  / while the ones they love are not in sight."

Surely "hordes"?  Not that I'm a professor or anything.

Thanks for this; you made me laugh out loud.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2014, 07:27:52 AM »

Heavens yes! thanks; scribal error by the professor. Well-seen correction.

And to speak out of character and set aside the rhetorical play for a minute (which we all do to amuse ourselves and others), let me say that each BB has, in one way or another, spoken of the urgency and the beauty of being together, either quite recently or during the 50 shows when the "whole greater than the sum of its parts" talk was frequent.  If I, and many of us, focus, even obsessively, on the hope of that dramatic, reunion, understand that such a turn of events is what mythology demands. If this were an epic poem, it would not end with separate bands and lingering lawsuits. To shun a BW album is silly (people can buy what they want, I suppose), but to be disappointed by "anything less" than one's dream makes perfect sense to me.

As the great poem states: "They crowd the stage with countless hoards  / while the ones they love are not in sight."

Surely "hordes"?  Not that I'm a professor or anything.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:15:28 AM by the professor » Logged
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »

I just saw Mike and Bruce at the Fresno Fair last night.  Much to my surprise, Dave was performing as well!  I don't this had been announced.  Good show, probably would have been more fun if we didn't have the worst seats in the house.  Dave sang Getcha Back and did a few guitar solos.  John Cowsill was a bit of a wild man on the drums, waving his hair around in a very Dennis-like fashion.  Plenty of Mike's geriatric jokes, and "Pisces Brothers" was just... seminal.  Next stop... Brian and Al in Modesto on Thursday!       
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »

Quoth the smile Brian- "the c50 is never more"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »

Since they gave Mike the license, they should just get with Mike and say I'm available these dates can we make it work?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

… and there is no inner band politics dictating that old solo songs must be included.

You mean there's been no peer pressure?

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »

Since they gave Mike the license, they should just get with Mike and say I'm available these dates can we make it work?

In September 2012, Brian and Al both essentially said the foreseeable future was free for them and they wanted to keep touring. They even had potential bookings for the entire group. Mike said no. Ball is in every conceivable way in Mike’s court.

Not to mention that from all the evidence at hand, Mike wouldn’t add Brian and Al if they called him up today and said they’d join his group. He would say no, citing his budget and need to play “vital smaller markets.”

Seriously, has anybody thought of this scenario? As asinine as it would be, and as unfair and beyond a fair “compromise” it would be, I don’t think Mike would add Brian and Al (and Dave for that matter) to his current band with its typical schedule and type of venues/markets. Even if he simply paid those three guys the same as Totten and Cowsill get paid, even then it seemingly wouldn’t work budget wise.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

Brian can turn up any where, any time apparently....

Mike 2012: "I can not fire Brian from the Beach Boys...I would never fire Brian from the Beach Boys." or words to that effect.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »

Brian can turn up any where, any time apparently....

Mike 2012: "I can not fire Brian from the Beach Boys...I would never fire Brian from the Beach Boys." or words to that effect.

There you go. Easy peasy.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »

I just saw Mike and Bruce at the Fresno Fair last night.  Much to my surprise, Dave was performing as well!  I don't this had been announced.  Good show, probably would have been more fun if we didn't have the worst seats in the house.  Dave sang Getcha Back and did a few guitar solos.  John Cowsill was a bit of a wild man on the drums, waving his hair around in a very Dennis-like fashion.  Plenty of Mike's geriatric jokes, and "Pisces Brothers" was just... seminal.  Next stop... Brian and Al in Modesto on Thursday!       
Mike announced on Facebook that David will continue with the band through October 18th.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »

Not only were there five faces from C50 in the front row, when you add drummer John Cowsill, six of the eight musicians on stage performed during C50.  With Randell Kirsch assisting on the road during C50, only one musician on stage was not part of C50 in some way.

And that being said, the five principals, along with the C50 supporting musicians, really do need to do it again, before they all get too old.
Agreed, but quick correction: Tim Bonhomme helped on the road during c50, not Randell.

Thanks for the correction, Eric!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:49:32 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »

Dave seems pretty comfortable with the band, and having him there certainly helps with the legitimacy of the band being 'The Beach Boys':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wlrAinur7A
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »

Dave seems pretty comfortable with the band, and having him there certainly helps with the legitimacy of the band being 'The Beach Boys':

Nice seeing David up there in the action! Sounding great as well...Mike's vocals? Not so much...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »

well, three BB on one hand, two on another; one needs 5 to complete a band. They simply fulfill something in one another that no other accompaniment can fulfill. The surviving BB on stage together creates magic. Mike sounds weak. Compare all this with clips from The Royal Albert Hall.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:38:13 PM by the professor » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »

well, three BB on one hand, two on another; one needs 5 to complete a band. The simply fulfill something in one another that no other accompaniment can fulfill. The surviving BB on stage together creates magic. Mike sounds weak. Compare all this with clips from The Royal Albert Hall.

I think this must all be part of some sinister plot by Mike to set a precedent to regain full title to " The Beach Boys"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

Haven't seen this posted anyplace else (and didn't want to start a new thread):
Christpoher Cross singing I Can Hear Music with Mike, Bruce, David, Jeff ...
Houston 10/9/14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQm7EE6Qjg
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »

Nice, but ... wasn't there someone who said it was ridiculous with five guitarists on stage during C50?  police

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »

M and B haven't done ICHM in awhile based on my recollections  ( stand to be corrected) so it's nice to hear it and Christopher does a great job
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »

Haven't seen this posted anyplace else (and didn't want to start a new thread):
Christpoher Cross singing I Can Hear Music with Mike, Bruce, David, Jeff ...
Houston 10/9/14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQm7EE6Qjg

He does a pretty good Carl Wilson impersonation there, doesn't he? He hasn't exactly Carl's voice nor is he pitch perfect but he matches the emotion.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx