gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 02:05:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike announces Dave will be joining him for three Beach Boys shows  (Read 19199 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

How much did Mike slip him for that article? That's like a Mount Rushmore of Calvin Coolidge, William H. Taft, Chester A. Arthur., and Grover Cleveland.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »

I'm glad Mike, Bruce, and David are having fun out on the road!

Or, ya know, we could just let the guys do what they feel comfortable doing. While the "Beach Boys" are out expanding and flourishing, Brian is awaiting to release an album he's been working on for over a year now. I'm happy that all parties are staying positive and busy during this time.

Would I like to see the guys get back together, tour, and make a new album? Sure. But if there is going to be the same tension and irritation that surrounded their last reunion, I'd rather they just stay apart and do their own things.

Absolutely.

This makes sense. But if they were tense and irritated on C50, it produced a hell of a product.

If they could just agree to a firm plan (with good PR skills behind it), as selfish as it sounds, if they can do another tour like C50, I don't mind too much if there's a bit of tension and irritation behind the scenes. That's *always* going to be there. Some of these guys, based on public and private anecdotes, kind of just don't like each other much. But they make magic with that reunion show.

I fully welcome the idea of another tour and album. I guess, given that Mike couldn't even write with Brian during their last album I just don't see them as a "band" anymore - it seems like more of a bureaucratic nightmare. And thus I'm less enthusiastic about the idea of another reunion. The product they gave us was great, and I'd love for another dose of it, but if it doesn't happen I'm not losing sleep over it.

I guess I just hope that certain posters here would be more thankful about what we're getting these days. That Mike and Bruce are out giving a good show to fans. That Brian is working his ass off recording some amazing tunes. That Al still has the voice he had back in the 60s. All these guys are in their 70s, and we should all be thankful for anything they give us instead of bitching about what they're not giving us. Just my two cents Cheesy

As I've referenced elsewhere, some of what these guys are doing right now is exclusionary. That's what's troublesome. The only way we'll probably ever see Al Jardine on any sort of substantial tour before we all die is if they do another reunion tour. Some of this is Al's fault. He can't get something together in terms of solo work. One solo studio album and scattered tracks and live bookings. But Mike's show means no Al, in 2012/13 anyway.

This is the rather nuanced point I've occasionally made that maybe nobody else agrees with me on. Pre-2012 was different. Brian didn't want to be a Beach Boys. Al may or may have not, depending on what year and who you ask. But Mike's tour wasn't touring in lieu of anything else. If he wasn't touring, nobody would be, under the BB name anyway. Setting aside getting stuck on the "moral" implications of using the BB name, I think a lot of stubborn, crusty fans cooled down about Mike touring under the BB name in the 2000's because it wasn't touring in place of a tangible, ready-to-go, willing alternative. Not so post-C50. That's the difference.

Mike's putting on a good show, but it's a show he willingly put on in place of an even better show. The 2012 tour was a "holy s**t, this actually is better than most any tour since the early-mid 70's!" The 2014 Mike show is "wow, they sound really good; much better than they did in the late 90's and early 2000's."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:00:57 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »

How much did Mike slip him for that article? That's like a Mount Rushmore of Calvin Coolidge, William H. Taft, Chester A. Arthur., and Grover Cleveland.

Praise us all that John Stamos wasn't at that show. What would the comparison have been then?

I still say Brian's show should add Bob Saget to the lineup, just because......

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »

[...]
Imagine the foul-mouthed banter between the two. Cheesy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »

[...]
Imagine the foul-mouthed banter between the two. Cheesy

True. On the PS tour in 2000, Brian was in such a good mood that he yelled at the audience "how loud can you fu**in' yell?"

I'm so very glad a recording of it exists, too!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »

I'm glad Mike, Bruce, and David are having fun out on the road!

Or, ya know, we could just let the guys do what they feel comfortable doing. While the "Beach Boys" are out expanding and flourishing, Brian is awaiting to release an album he's been working on for over a year now. I'm happy that all parties are staying positive and busy during this time.

Would I like to see the guys get back together, tour, and make a new album? Sure. But if there is going to be the same tension and irritation that surrounded their last reunion, I'd rather they just stay apart and do their own things.

Absolutely.

This makes sense. But if they were tense and irritated on C50, it produced a hell of a product.

If they could just agree to a firm plan (with good PR skills behind it), as selfish as it sounds, if they can do another tour like C50, I don't mind too much if there's a bit of tension and irritation behind the scenes. That's *always* going to be there. Some of these guys, based on public and private anecdotes, kind of just don't like each other much. But they make magic with that reunion show.

I fully welcome the idea of another tour and album. I guess, given that Mike couldn't even write with Brian during their last album I just don't see them as a "band" anymore - it seems like more of a bureaucratic nightmare. And thus I'm less enthusiastic about the idea of another reunion. The product they gave us was great, and I'd love for another dose of it, but if it doesn't happen I'm not losing sleep over it.

I guess I just hope that certain posters here would be more thankful about what we're getting these days. That Mike and Bruce are out giving a good show to fans. That Brian is working his ass off recording some amazing tunes. That Al still has the voice he had back in the 60s. All these guys are in their 70s, and we should all be thankful for anything they give us instead of bitching about what they're not giving us. Just my two cents Cheesy

As I've referenced elsewhere, some of what these guys are doing right now is exclusionary. That's what's troublesome. The only way we'll probably ever see Al Jardine on any sort of substantial tour before we all die is if they do another reunion tour. Some of this is Al's fault. He can't get something together in terms of solo work. One solo studio album and scattered tracks and live bookings. But Mike's show means no Al, in 2012/13 anyway.

This is the rather nuanced point I've occasionally made that maybe nobody else agrees with me on. Pre-2012 was different. Brian didn't want to be a Beach Boys. Al may or may have not, depending on what year and who you ask. But Mike's tour wasn't touring in lieu of anything else. If he wasn't touring, nobody would be, under the BB name anyway. Setting aside getting stuck on the "moral" implications of using the BB name, I think a lot of stubborn, crusty fans cooled down about Mike touring under the BB name in the 2000's because it wasn't touring in place of a tangible, ready-to-go, willing alternative. Not so post-C50. That's the difference.

Mike's putting on a good show, but it's a show he willingly put on in place of an even better show. The 2012 tour was a "holy s**t, this actually is better than most any tour since the early-mid 70's!" The 2014 Mike show is "wow, they sound really good; much better than they did in the late 90's and early 2000's."

It is indeed troublesome. And in light of all the exclusion since the C50 ended, it makes me wonder how good the chemistry would be on another reunion tour/album. Perhaps the guys don't really care about band chemistry, and perhaps it doesn't matter. They obviously put on a great show regardless of what they were feeling during the C50. But obviously there is still a lot of negativity there.

If they do decide to reunite again, I'll be ecstatic. But for now I'm happy that Brian is still working/touring, that Al is recording, and Mike, Bruce, and Dave are still giving people fun memories.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »

Another obvious question concerns whether there are plans afoot to add Dave permanently to the band.

I would guess if it didn't affect overhead costs, he'd add Dave in a heartbeat. Perhaps there are some lingering issues going back to Dave's 97-99 tenure that would give them pause to make it permanent again (extended "guest spots" are easier to do, there's less pressure or baggage).

On the other hand, there's literally no "competition" out there competing for "legitimacy" or bookings (which may or may not have anything to do with Al's recent comments about he and Brian being "under suspicion" concerning advertising their BB status). Mike doesn't need to add Dave back.

Another interesting question: Would Dave join full time if asked? Who knows, maybe he doesn't want the grind of 100+ shows.

I doubt D'Amico popping up for a few songs during a Mike show is some huge indicator of the possibility of another reunion project of some sort, but I guess I'll go ahead and still hope.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »

I might not have seen the BBs in 1973, or the Before the Flood tour, or The Who play Quadrophenia - I wasn't alive to see those legendary shows. But I will always be able to say I saw a show from the C50 tour. Best musical experience of my life.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »

stunning review of the show in the Desert Sun.  Time for Brian and Al to make the call and set something up--a new album and tour.  The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/music/2014/10/05/beach-boys-returning-vets-playing-newer-material/16758063/

Reading that review, I had to double-check the web address to make sure I hadn't accidentally gone to the Beach Boys Britain board.   Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »

And they say the bloo is bad... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »

stunning review of the show in the Desert Sun.  Time for Brian and Al to make the call and set something up--a new album and tour.  The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/music/2014/10/05/beach-boys-returning-vets-playing-newer-material/16758063/

Reading that review, I had to double-check the web address to make sure I hadn't accidentally gone to the Beach Boys Britain board.   Wink

I was going to point out several blatant inaccuracies in this article, but I figured I would leave it up to AGD , who has a real distaste for journalistic slovenliness, to tee this up, and then to tee off.

Personally I think there is more of a chance of me getting a call from Diane Lane , asking me to go with her to Positano, than there is of Brian and Al making "that call".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

but Marks, Love, Johnston and Foskett stood beside him on the front line like a musical Mt. Rushmore, re-affirming the band’s legacy even without Wilson and Alan Jardine along for the ride.

I'm announcing a contest. All of the talented members of the board who do the Photoshop album cover parodies, the photo manipulations, etc...Create and post your visual interpretations of the "musical Mt. Rushmore" here, we'll decide on a winner, and you'll get a prize of some kind. I'm serious.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »

That's where I wrote it. The Ontor Pertawst has always understood the Professor so well. I can send along the other 8000 lines of the epic for whomever wants it.  And no, in response to your many queries, it's not all in tetrameter.

And anyone who encourages us to be "appreciative" of "what we have now" with the BB as separate acts has no sense of epic grandeur.  Do you not hear the call of history, with Apollo himself ready at the lyre?

That poem only makes sense if you recite it while driving on the PCH apparently.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2014, 11:19:24 PM »

but Marks, Love, Johnston and Foskett stood beside him on the front line like a musical Mt. Rushmore, re-affirming the band’s legacy even without Wilson and Alan Jardine along for the ride.

I'm announcing a contest. All of the talented members of the board who do the Photoshop album cover parodies, the photo manipulations, etc...Create and post your visual interpretations of the "musical Mt. Rushmore" here, we'll decide on a winner, and you'll get a prize of some kind. I'm serious.

The big video screen behind the band at last night's concert in San Diego featured a photo of Mt. Rushmore with the names "Marks, Love, Johnston, and Foskett" under the faces of the presidents, with a square on the left below those names saying something about Scott Totten.  Having not yet read the Desert Sun review, the graphic seemed odd and non-sensical to me, until fellow Smile Smile board member Eric Aniversario explained that it was an inside joke as a result of the Desert Sun review.

And while on the subject of the video screen, it's really unfortunate that no easily identifiable large photos of Brian or Al appear, that being the result, as Eric reminded me, of a request on the part of Brian and Al.  For that matter, I don't recall seeing any photos of David either, although there may have been a few, and some of the best photos with David in them would have also featured Brian. 

The photo/video segment that seemed really out of place to me was a series of a couple photos and a video of John Stamos, shown during Mike's intro to Be True to Your School, with Mike advising the audience that they were viewing photos and a video of John Stamos, who was born the same year the song was released.  Maybe it's a place holder for when Stamos does appear and Mike jokes that he was dating Stamos' mother during that time.  While I've defended Stamos' appearances with the M&B Beach Boys on this board, Mike making a big deal about Stamos when he isn't even present seems bizarre.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:25 PM »

Real eye-opener - M&B playing more post-'60s songs than B&A… and having five faces from C50's front row (inc Jeff & Scott) compared to B&A's two. Not that anyone's keeping count…

Is there a statistician in the house!

Not only were there five faces from C50 in the front row, when you add drummer John Cowsill, six of the eight musicians on stage performed during C50.  With Randell Kirsch assisting on the road during C50, only one musician on stage was not part of C50 in some way.

And that being said, the five principals, along with the C50 supporting musicians, really do need to do it again, before they all get too old.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »

I'm sure the phrase "re-affirming the band's legacy" was on every audience member's mind as they left the venue.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »

I'm sure the phrase "re-affirming the band's legacy" was on every audience member's mind as they left the venue.

I think it should be written within every fortune cookie that Mike, Brian, Al, Dave and Bruce bite into every day between now and Christmas.

Just as a thunk-see…

“We live in divisive times.”
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »

As the great poem states: "They crowd the stage with countless hoards  / while the ones they love are not in sight."

Surely "hordes"?  Not that I'm a professor or anything.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 01:46:28 AM »

Real eye-opener - M&B playing more post-'60s songs than B&A… and having five faces from C50's front row (inc Jeff & Scott) compared to B&A's two. Not that anyone's keeping count…

Is there a statistician in the house!

Not only were there five faces from C50 in the front row, when you add drummer John Cowsill, six of the eight musicians on stage performed during C50.  With Randell Kirsch assisting on the road during C50, only one musician on stage was not part of C50 in some way.

And that being said, the five principals, along with the C50 supporting musicians, really do need to do it again, before they all get too old.

Agreed, but quick correction: Tim Bonhomme helped on the road during c50, not Randell.
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:14 AM »

I quite like the idea of Mike opening the doors Brian, Al and Dave permanently, even on his own terms. Clearly there are some major financial complications with that, but my view is that if Al or Brian want to perform as Beach Boys, they should be able to.

I can't see another C50 happening as it did, but perhaps Brian and Mike could make a deal - Mike continues to run the live show but incorporates Brian and Al into it, whilst Brian holds control over anything they opt to do in the studio. In practice that means Mike drops his issue over writing with Brian but keeps his live show the way he wants it, whilst Brian sticks to what he knows and enjoys best without having to take leads on the majority of songs in a live show. That's the best of all world's isn't it?

It'd probably not work out financially and Brian might not have any interest in touring at the rate Mike does, but in theory it seems like a workable compromise. It'd have the benefit of having the live shows covered by multiple primary vocalists and in an era where the guys are getting old, poses much less of a problem should someone take ill, lose their voice or injure their knee whilst inexplicably jumping during I Get Around.

I'd like to think that a deal made on that basis would eventually lead to a more varied set list and some greater involvement for Mike in terms of song writing, but with both happening in a natural way rather than through a forced compromise that neither part would be truly happy with.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 05:45:04 AM »

And anyone who encourages us to be "appreciative" of "what we have now" with the BB as separate acts has no sense of epic grandeur.  Do you not hear the call of history, with Apollo himself ready at the lyre?

I also said I'd be ecstatic if the band reunited again. It's not a matter of a supposed lack of imagination, it's just being thankful instead of cynical about any Beach Boys-related project that is currently actually happening. There was a poster here who recently said they'd refuse to listen to Brian's new album because Mike and Bruce weren't on it - talk about having no sense of grandeur....or just no sense.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »

And anyone who encourages us to be "appreciative" of "what we have now" with the BB as separate acts has no sense of epic grandeur.  Do you not hear the call of history, with Apollo himself ready at the lyre?

I also said I'd be ecstatic if the band reunited again. It's not a matter of a supposed lack of imagination, it's just being thankful instead of cynical about any Beach Boys-related project that is currently actually happening. There was a poster here who recently said they'd refuse to listen to Brian's new album because Mike and Bruce weren't on it - talk about having no sense of grandeur....or just no sense.

I don't know about that.  I foresee that being a bit of a problem with some Beach Boys fans who are no doubt going to compare the tracks on "No Pier Pressure" with all the special guests to what they could've been as full fledged Beach Boys tracks.  For my money, fifty plus years into this game, nobody represents Brian Wilson's material as well as the boys do although I am going to give this new album a try unless the reviews coming in from the forums are so horrible that I don't go near the whole shebang with a barge pole!  Then again I'll obviously also consult my own ears as we'll no doubt get a few tracks leaked to us through various legal means prior to the album's release.

As far as the poster who mentioned that he won't purchase "No Pier Pressure" because it's not a full fledged Beach Boys affair?  Maybe he's deciding ahead of time to save his money for something he wants to invest his money in more than a Brian Wilson solo album?  Nothing wrong with that. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:04:40 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:34 AM »

And anyone who encourages us to be "appreciative" of "what we have now" with the BB as separate acts has no sense of epic grandeur.  Do you not hear the call of history, with Apollo himself ready at the lyre?

I don't know about that.  I foresee that being a bit of a problem with some Beach Boys fans who are no doubt going to compare the tracks on "No Pier Pressure" with all the special guests to what they could've been as full fledged Beach Boys tracks.  For my money, fifty plus years into this game, nobody represents Brian Wilson's material as well as the boys do although I am going to give this new album a try unless the reviews coming in from the forums are so horrible that I don't go near the whole shebang with a barge pole!  Then again I'll obviously also consult my own ears as we'll no doubt get a few tracks leaked to us through various legal means prior to the album's release.

As far as the poster who mentioned that he won't purchase "No Pier Pressure" because it's not a full fledged Beach Boys affair?  Maybe he's deciding ahead of time to save his money for something he wants to invest his money in more than a Brian Wilson solo album?  Nothing wrong with that. 

I'd rather Mike and Bruce be apart of the project, but they're not. So, with that in mind, this is still an album with Brian, Al, Blondie, a slew of other talented guests. I guess I find it somewhat odd that a member of a Beach Boys fan community would refuse to listen to music recorded by the genius who founded the Beach Boys. But to each their own.

Nicko1234
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2014, 06:31:56 AM »

I'd rather Mike and Bruce be apart of the project, but they're not. So, with that in mind, this is still an album with Brian, Al, Blondie, a slew of other talented guests. I guess I find it somewhat odd that a member of a Beach Boys fan community would refuse to listen to music recorded by the genius who founded the Beach Boys. But to each their own.

It is indeed odd.

Especially as, all things being equal, this album ought to be better in terms of composition and construction than any Beach Boys album that might have been released year. Brian has had ages to work on it and there is no inner band politics dictating that old solo songs must be included.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx