gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:55:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike announces Dave will be joining him for three Beach Boys shows  (Read 19002 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/photos/a.249407895138059.60323.125419450870238/716967555048755/?type=1&theater
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:11:46 AM »

I wonder if the five will ever share a stage again prior to the London Pet Sounds 50th gigs?  And then maybe Blondie could do the lead on Sloop John B…

Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »

This is Dave's "big FU" post coming in 3....2.....

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »

If you're drawing a comparison between Jeff leaving Brian's band and Dave doing a couple gigs with the M&B band like he has been doing regularly for the past year, I think you're a bit off.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »

Except…. Dave has been playing random shows with Mike’s band for years, before and after C50. He has also never been Brian’s “right hand man.” Dave also still plays gigs with Al when they’re both booked with the “Surf City All Stars.” He also has seemed to be very clear during his entire tenure in and out of the group since the late 90’s that he has no axe to grind with any of the “factions.” He’s one of the only guys who I actually believe wouldn’t and doesn’t have an ulterior motive in playing with one band or the other, other than to just show up and play.

As Marks’ own book (with Jon Stebbins) explains, that doesn’t mean others don’t have ulterior motives in getting him to play or join up. If any “F U” were ever involved in getting David Marks to play a gig, the “F U” would likely be coming from someone other than David.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »

No one is saying any curse words to anyone. Rather, as I see it, all the BB are trying to find their way and to comprehend what "together" can possibly mean in the here and now. What will Al think of this?  It will likely make him tall Brian and Make that "we got to do something together."

So I hope.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:13:11 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »

No one is saying any curse words to anyone. Rather, as I see it, all the BB are trying to find their way and to comprehend what "together" can possibly mean in the here and now. What will Al think of this?  It will likely make him tall

I don't think so.   LOL
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »

E He also has seemed to be very clear during his entire tenure in and out of the group since the late 90’s that he has no axe to grind with any of the “factions.” He’s one of the only guys who I actually believe wouldn’t and doesn’t have an ulterior motive in playing with one band or the other, other than to just show up and play.

Of course he doesn't!  And even if he does, if he wants to play a few gigs with Mike and/or Brian and Al, he's going to stay neutral and keep any negative feelings he has to himself!  If you're outspoken, you take a chance in compromising a spot in the band!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:33:38 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »

I say good for Mike with this move to include Dave!  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »

It would be great if they all acted more like Dave. More mixing and matching between members would be cool - just because there isn't going to be another reunion tour doesn't mean the whole band couldn't share the stage again, and we already saw Al, Bruce, Mike and Dave share the stage at Mike's Ella award ceremony.

Seems like there's no chance of this happening though  Sad

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »

It would be great if they all acted more like Dave. More mixing and matching between members would be cool - just because there isn't going to be another reunion tour doesn't mean the whole band couldn't share the stage again, and we already saw Al, Bruce, Mike and Dave share the stage at Mike's Ella award ceremony.

Seems like there's no chance of this happening though  Sad
They're all corks on the ocean.. Perhaps they'll drift back together someday.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Dave should start turning down these invites and demand a full time gig.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »

Why? He's just there to rock the sh*t out of the guitar, not to get involved with band politics.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

Demanding a full-time gig seems like a questionable choice, in that he'd probably be turned down. And besides, this way he can play with whoever he wants. I think one of the most beautiful parts of the story of David Marks is that in recent years, he is the one guy who can show up anywhere, with anyone, and not have it be some story. He's an authentic link to any BBs-related group, sure, but mostly he's a fucking great guitarist and wonderful addition to the bands.

Realistically, the traveling Beach Boys might not want to pay what another original member might be worth for however-many shows a year are worth; and conversely, the increasingly infrequent BW shows might not cut it either. (Not to mention they aren't especially guitar-friendly.)

I say good for Dave to do whatever he wants, with whoever he wants.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »

Mike's counter move to Brian and Al getting to sing at the George Harrison fest when he wrote the tribute song!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »

It's great to see an actual Beach Boy play some leads on an instrument at a live show. Hopefully Mike will give Dave some vocal leads (Getcha Back, Do You Wanna Dance and maybe Forever).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:39:07 PM by lee » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 12:26:16 AM »

Dave also probably has a little gratitude towards Mike for grabbing him that time he almost fell off a balcony as a kid.

Dave is the most mature guy of the bunch in a lot of ways, it seems. Ironic that he is also the youngest.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »

No one is saying any curse words to anyone. Rather, as I see it, all the BB are trying to find their way and to comprehend what "together" can possibly mean in the here and now. What will Al think of this?  It will likely make him tall Brian and Make that "we got to do something together."

So I hope.
hey kofi annan. Why dont you shut the F up already and retire?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »

Dave also probably has a little gratitude towards Mike for grabbing him that time he almost fell off a balcony as a kid.

Dave is the most mature guy of the bunch in a lot of ways, it seems. Ironic that he is also the youngest.

I think it makes sense.  He left the band before they became superstars so there was never any big fame or money to get to his head the way it might have hit the other guys.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 12:16:38 AM »

So I hope.
hey kofi annan. Why dont you shut the F up already and retire?

Unnecessary and unwanted reply, cablegeddon. Please stop this kind behaviour. Official warning.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »

Mike's counter move to Brian and Al getting to sing at the George Harrison fest when he wrote the tribute song!

Mike's "big FU" to George Harrison and his Fest.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »

I'm speaking from a musician's point of view here, but after seeing the beach Boys on their C50 tour in Sydney in 2012, I concluded two things...

1) The Beach Boys show was professional and great entertainment value for the cost of my ticket ($AU 250)

2) Some of the musicians were outstanding, especially the drummer John Cowsill and David Marks, not to mention Scott Totten, Darian Sahanaja and Probyn Gregory.

I think David Marks is the most talented guitarist within the original Beach Boys, I understand why Carl wanted him around in the early days. I'm currently reading Brad Tolinski's book,  'Light & Shade: conversations with Jimmy Page' and in it Page talks about how a mentor told him early on the importance of practice, practice, practice and especially the idea of the need to try things that a little beyond you so that you can get better. I can't help but feel that musically David was like this from a very early age, Carl had the same attitude in his late teens, whereas Brian took this a whole step further by applying it to his production methods during the mid-sixties.

Going back to Dave, I like him a lot overall as a person. He could have been bitter about how things turned out, but when he got his chance to play again he did a great job.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:08:29 PM by John Stivaktas » Logged

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »

David is a serious asset to any version of a Beach Boys touring band he can be part of. Unlike the others, his musicianship and instrumental capabilities have improved over these fifty years.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »

Note something about Dave: for the 50th reunion shows he played his old parts, Carl's parts, and the parts played by studio players on any number of songs he had never played before. Nor did he simply play the "old parts," for he played freely and meaningfully with classic breaks and solos and added some monster stuff in great places, as in Little Honda and Barbara Ann. Love his Pet Sounds as well. I think the Professor once said "David Marks IS the reunion," and I have to agree.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx