gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:19:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike announces Dave will be joining him for three Beach Boys shows  (Read 19078 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »

True that. Loved his 'Sail On Sailor' myself.
Gohi
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »

I think the Professor once said "David Marks IS the reunion," and I have to agree.
Glad to hear you agree with yourself, professor!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »

Post of the day! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 05:32:55 PM »

Dave was THE highlight of the lone C50 show I went to! (Well, Cowsill also. Just needed to replace Bruce with Blondie, bring Carl and Dennis back from the dead, reinstate Jack Reiley...)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »

Mike just updated his facebook, apparently Dave will be playing with him through the 18th.

Also, yesterday's show had guest appearances from none other than Billy Hinsche and Mike D'Amico!

Imagine that - members from both Al and Brian's solo bands onstage with Mike, Bruce, and Dave at the same time.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:41 PM »

stunning review of the show in the Desert Sun.  Time for Brian and Al to make the call and set something up--a new album and tour.  The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/music/2014/10/05/beach-boys-returning-vets-playing-newer-material/16758063/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »

That is a lot of guys to change around for the same worn-out setlist M&B have been doing since Reagan was president. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »

Quote from: the prof
The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone [...]

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »

I'm glad Mike, Bruce, and David are having fun out on the road!

The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.

Or, ya know, we could just let the guys do what they feel comfortable doing. While the "Beach Boys" are out expanding and flourishing, Brian is awaiting to release an album he's been working on for over a year now. I'm happy that all parties are staying positive and busy during this time.

Would I like to see the guys get back together, tour, and make a new album? Sure. But if there is going to be the same tension and irritation that surrounded their last reunion, I'd rather they just stay apart and do their own things.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »

stunning review of the show in the Desert Sun.  Time for Brian and Al to make the call and set something up--a new album and tour.  The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/music/2014/10/05/beach-boys-returning-vets-playing-newer-material/16758063/

Real eye-opener - M&B playing more post-'60s songs than B&A… and having five faces from C50's front row (inc Jeff & Scott) compared to B&A's two. Not that anyone's keeping count…

Is there a statistician in the house!

“We live in divisive times.”
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

Following up on what John said,  M+B did eight post 60s songs last night (including two covers) to Brian's three (including Cottonfields).

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »

As the great poem states: "They crowd the stage with countless hordes  / while the ones they love are not in sight."

Quote from: the prof
The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone [...]

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:28:52 AM by the professor » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »

I don't think there is much love lost between BW and Mike these days.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »

As the great poem states: "They crowd the stage with countless hoards  / while the ones they love are not in sight."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »

That poem only makes sense if you recite it while driving on the PCH apparently.
Nicko1234
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

Or, ya know, we could just let the guys do what they feel comfortable doing. While the "Beach Boys" are out expanding and flourishing, Brian is awaiting to release an album he's been working on for over a year now. I'm happy that all parties are staying positive and busy during this time.

Would I like to see the guys get back together, tour, and make a new album? Sure. But if there is going to be the same tension and irritation that surrounded their last reunion, I'd rather they just stay apart and do their own things.

Absolutely.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »

stunning review of the show in the Desert Sun.  Time for Brian and Al to make the call and set something up--a new album and tour.  The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.

I'm not going to knock the guy writing this article for comparing Mike's band to Brian's (that occurs on this board ad nauseam), but *if* you're going to compare the bands, it's kind of an assclown move to not even mention the 50th anniversary tour or the fact that Brian and Al wanted to keep the entire band together. Had they had their way, this guy wouldn't have had two bands to compare.

Kind of odd that he also bills David Marks as being of Dean's "Surf City All Stars." Yes, I know Dave plays with that band. But it would be like Ringo adding Paul McCartney to his show and mentioning "Paul McCartney, late of Wings."

Much like the olden days of comparing Mike's band to Al's (you know, back when Al had a band that toured), to compare Mike's show (setlist or otherwise) to Brian is a bit pointless, as Brian has played four of five shows this year. That's one of the primary reasons he's doing the "meat and potatoes" numbers. Once you get on tour and are constantly playing and rehearsing and doing soundchecks, that's when it's far easier to vary the setlist. They aren't rehearsing for a week or two leading up to these one-off Brian shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they maybe do a rehearsal the day before and not much more (heck, maybe they even just use the soundcheck as their rehearsal). Maybe they're working on the side beforehand with the new falsetto guy, I dunno. The same thing happened when Al toured. By 2000 (and 1999 to some degree), he was doing such scattered shows that when he would get his musicians together, they ended up pounding out the common tunes because that's what they all know.

When Brian did one mini-tour and then one tour with Beck that was still short but what I would deem at least a full "tour", here are songs that were rotated in and out in 2013: 

Break Away
Girl Don’t Tell Me
Old Man River
Little Bird
Summertime Blues
Your Imagination
Goin’ Home
That’s Why God Made the Radio
Summer’s Gone
Let Him Run Wild
She Knows Me Too Well
Custom Machine
This Car of Mine
Monster Mash
Forever
Wild Honey

Plenty of interesting stuff there, and that was what they did when most of the dates were short, approx. hour-long sets with Beck.

If or when Brian does a *real* tour (as in four to eight weeks or more, 15-30 shows or more), I think we'll probably see his setlist get more interesting.

Oh yeah, and stating the obvious and taking the bait here, but I think Mike needs to make the call. Everybody else is (or at least was) willing to get the whole thing back together (keep it together rather). Jardine *still* says in interviews he wants the full reunited band to work together, even when doing press for his gigs with Brian. Mike has not stated this preference since 2012.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:10:41 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »

Absolutely.

This makes sense. But if they were tense and irritated on C50, it produced a hell of a product.

If they could just agree to a firm plan (with good PR skills behind it), as selfish as it sounds, if they can do another tour like C50, I don't mind too much if there's a bit of tension and irritation behind the scenes. That's *always* going to be there. Some of these guys, based on public and private anecdotes, kind of just don't like each other much. But they make magic with that reunion show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »

stunning review of the show in the Desert Sun.  Time for Brian and Al to make the call and set something up--a new album and tour.  The Hawthorne high boys are standing alone, while the BB expand and flourish.

I'm not going to knock the guy writing this article for comparing Mike's band to Brian's (that occurs on this board ad nauseam), but *if* you're going to compare the bands, it's kind of an assclown move to not even mention the 50th anniversary tour or the fact that Brian and Al wanted to keep the entire band together. Had they had their way, this guy wouldn't have had two bands to compare.

Kind of odd that he also bills David Marks as being of Dean's "Surf City All Stars." Yes, I know Dave plays with that band. But it would be like Ringo adding Paul McCartney to his show and mentioning "Paul McCartney, late of Wings."

Much like the olden days of comparing Mike's band to Al's (you know, back when Al had a band that toured), to compare Mike's show (setlist or otherwise) to Brian is a bit pointless, as Brian has played four of five shows this year. That's one of the primary reasons he's doing the "meat and potatoes" numbers. Once you get on tour and are constantly playing and rehearsing and doing soundchecks, that's when it's far easier to vary the setlist. They aren't rehearsing for a week or two leading up to these one-off Brian shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they maybe do a rehearsal the day before and not much more (heck, maybe they even just use the soundcheck as their rehearsal). Maybe they're working on the side beforehand with the new falsetto guy, I dunno. The same thing happened when Al toured. By 2000 (and 1999 to some degree), he was doing such scattered shows that when he would get his musicians together, they ended up pounding out the common tunes because that's what they all know.

When Brian did one mini-tour and then one tour with Beck that was still short but what I would deem at least a full "tour", here are songs that were rotated in and out in 2013: 

Break Away
Girl Don’t Tell Me
Old Man River
Little Bird
Summertime Blues
Your Imagination
Goin’ Home
Summer’s Gone
Let Him Run Wild
She Knows Me Too Well
Custom Machine
This Car of Mine
Monster Mash
Forever
Wild Honey

Plenty of interesting stuff there, and that was what they did when most of the dates were short, approx. hour-long sets with Beck.

If or when Brian does a *real* tour (as in four to eight weeks or more, 15-30 shows or more), I think we'll probably see his setlist get more interesting.

Oh yeah, and stating the obvious and taking the bait here, but I think Mike needs to make the call. Everybody else is (or at least was) willing to get the whole thing back together (keep it together rather). Jardine *still* says in interviews he wants the full reunited band to work together, even when doing press for his gigs with Brian. Mike has not stated this preference since 2012.

The guy was understandably talking about the 2 shows that he had seen this year and was positive about both of them.

If he goes to see another show when Brian adds some more rarities to the set then obviously he will give a different review.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »

Break Away
Girl Don’t Tell Me
Old Man River
Little Bird
Summertime Blues
Your Imagination
Goin’ Home
Summer’s Gone
Let Him Run Wild
She Knows Me Too Well
Custom Machine
This Car of Mine
Monster Mash
Forever
Wild Honey

The guy was understandably talking about the 2 shows that he had seen this year and was positive about both of them.

If he goes to see another show when Brian adds some more rarities to the set then obviously he will give a different review.

The review just read like a sort of sunshiney ESQ-style review. It has been two years since the end of C50, so I understand reviews that don't still dredge all that stuff up.

But when you're comparing the two shows, and writing lines like THIS:

Young Scott Totten is their music director, but Marks, Love, Johnston and Foskett stood beside him on the front line like a musical Mt. Rushmore, re-affirming the band’s legacy even without Wilson and Alan Jardine along for the ride.

without even mentioning one thing about the reunion tour, and specifically that Wilson and Jardine wanted to continue to play with Love, Marks, and Johnston; in other words, it's Love's choice to not play with a willing Jardine and Wilson, and also fail to mention that Love has played probably around 100 shows this year while Wilson and Jardine effectively aren't even "touring" so to speak, it just seems like a bit of a hack job. Stylistically the writing is fine.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Mike himself has touted this article (and the Rushmore comment) on his own Facebook page. Perhaps that wouldn't have occurred had the writer mentioned that Love chose to tour without several willing founding members.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »

1. He calls David Marks an early Beach Boys member in the same sentence, so I'm not sure why this is an issue.
2. He mentions the Surf City All-Stars as a segue because he had just mentioned Dean.
3. David Marks is not the equivalent of Paul McCartney.
4. Therefore it would be a lot more mentioning that Pete Best had also played with Lee Curtis & The All Stars.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »

Since Mike D'Amico only sat in with Mike, is that more of a 'screw you' to Brian and Melinda? Not quite an 'eff you?'
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »

1. He calls David Marks an early Beach Boys member in the same sentence, so I'm not sure why this is an issue.
2. He mentions the Surf City All-Stars as a segue because he had just mentioned Dean.
3. David Marks is not the equivalent of Paul McCartney.
4. Therefore it would be a lot more mentioning that Pete Best had also played with Lee Curtis & The All Stars.

Yes, all of this is true. I simply found it odd and amusing that a Beach Boy needed to be referenced any other way while being reviewed playing a Beach Boys concert. I also found it amusing that he's in the "Surf City All Stars" because he's a Beach Boy. It just seemed amusingly circular, that's all.

Also, for what it's worth, a comparison to another example (McCartney/Wings) does not indicate that one is trying to equate the two, assuming by "equivalent" one means fame/notoriety/talent, etc.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »

Absolutely.

This makes sense. But if they were tense and irritated on C50, it produced a hell of a product.

If they could just agree to a firm plan (with good PR skills behind it), as selfish as it sounds, if they can do another tour like C50, I don't mind too much if there's a bit of tension and irritation behind the scenes. That's *always* going to be there. Some of these guys, based on public and private anecdotes, kind of just don't like each other much. But they make magic with that reunion show.

I fully welcome the idea of another tour and album. I guess, given that Mike couldn't even write with Brian during their last album I just don't see them as a "band" anymore - it seems like more of a bureaucratic nightmare. And thus I'm less enthusiastic about the idea of another reunion. The product they gave us was great, and I'd love for another dose of it, but if it doesn't happen I'm not losing sleep over it.

I guess I just hope that certain posters here would be more thankful about what we're getting these days. That Mike and Bruce are out giving a good show to fans. That Brian is working his ass off recording some amazing tunes. That Al still has the voice he had back in the 60s. All these guys are in their 70s, and we should all be thankful for anything they give us instead of bitching about what they're not giving us. Just my two cents Cheesy

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »

Since Mike D'Amico only sat in with Mike, is that more of a 'screw you' to Brian and Melinda? Not quite an 'eff you?'

I somehow doubt these people care. Matt Jardine sat in with Mike's band last year at a gig, right in the midst of the post-C50 acrimony.

I think one of either band's members sitting in for a few songs is taken differently by the leadership/management of the bands as compared to the Foskett situation.

If D'Amico announced tomorrow that he had permanently joined Mike's band, I'd feel reasonably comfortable saying that yes, that would be another big "F U" on the part of someone, if not multiple folks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:59:51 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx