gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:21:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dumb Angels (Rare Song Compilation)  (Read 23299 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 11:51:06 PM »

Well you know I hate to be a downer... but that's not "Ecology". It has, er, elements of "Ecology" in it but also sections of tracks prepared by SWD for use at an industry symposium to demonstrate quad (the closing section). The real "Ecology" rough edit starts with "All Of My Love"... or rather, the one I heard does (and the provenience of that is impeccable). What you have here is a fan 'mix'. It's a good one, but Dennis had nothing to do with the assembling thereof.

100% true. I should have mentioned that to begin with  Tongue
Thanks for the info about the origins of the track(s).

Also... that is some killer artwork. Totally stunning.  Grin

The artwork Judd made for the next one is even better! I'll post new edit/artwork sometime in the next 3 weeks.

Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:48 PM »

Got this on now.... Real nice work. Thank you Si.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »

Reuploaded at this address:

https://vimeo.com/134540323

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »

Loved Hawthorne Sunset - definitely looking forward to checking this one out later. You do amazing work OP!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »

Fab work!

What song is that at around 50 mins and just after? (Excuse my ignorance, I don't really have much of a habit of seeking out unofficial material)...I definitely know where The Explorers Club got their inspiration for their song 'Carry Me' from now.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »

Well you know I hate to be a downer... but that's not "Ecology". It has, er, elements of "Ecology" in it but also sections of tracks prepared by SWD for use at an industry symposium to demonstrate quad (the closing section).

COMMENT:
What I've heard of this "industrial tape" was a bootleg recording done with an audience microphone at the symposium at the time I presented a paper. It was to the Audio Engineering Society, Hollywood USA section. Dennis Wilson & Daryl Dragon assisted me with the musical portion of the presentation on methods of recording pianos, vocals, etc. in quadraphonic sound. I needed material that illustrated some techniques to engineers who were at that time just beginning to get involved in quad. Since I'd been experimenting with it for several years prior to it becoming a popular medium, the society ask me to enlighten them. The two D's were working together on some musical ideas, not developed yet, so we used those songs-in-progress as the genesis of the demonstration. Since Capitol Records was a supporter of AES and with Beach Boy influence, I was able to use Capitol Studio's equipment at the Tower for the mixdown at no cost. (egads - those were the days!)  I'm looking at the 4-track tape master right now. Some day I'll issue a study-video of it and run the back two channels through the matrix for a four to two fold-down. However that will be hard to do because the master tape is on 1/2 inch tape at 30 IPS. It was recorded on Agfa-Gevaert tape, an expensive tape imported from Germany that I liked to use for masters and multi-tracks. It had better signal-to-noise performance than anything Scotch made at the time. Since we did so many ping-pongs (copying from one track to another) it kept the hiss to a minimum. Agfa, with its pink backing, also had a superior oxide binding qualities, which has become evident through the passage of time as other Scotch brand older tapes fall apart on playback. (See link below for an Agfa tape ad in Billboard of the day.) Machines to play this type of tape are hard to find. I know for certain there are none around this part of the country. If anyone knows of such a machine, drop me an email (which you can find on my profile). Maybe someday I'll get this master transferred.
~swd

Ad in Billboard >>> https://books.google.com/books?id=xyQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT59&lpg=PT59&dq=agfa+gevaert+recording+tape&source=bl&ots=oZ62E4ecTW&sig=FlHuxAHErgzOj_sTnlC6kQSC1u4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAWoVChMI4MznkdH5xgIVx9KACh0PjQBz#v=onepage&q=agfa%20gevaert%20recording%20tape&f=false
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »

Excellent Stephen, thank you for the background on the music.  I've always loved those vocals on All of My Love and wondered why it was never completed.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 04:19:21 AM »

Fab work!

What song is that at around 50 mins and just after?

That is a composite of the pieces that were supposed to make a Dennis Wilson song called Ecology...or something along those lines. The 'All of my Love' bit supposedly has 100 overdubs of Denny's voice. Judd stitched them together the way they are in my mix but there is no final version.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »

The follow up to Symphony to God

It's called Dumb Angels
https://vimeo.com/134540323

It's all rare tracks or deep cuts. If you liked StG, the idea here is the same, although this project took about a month, versus StG taking a day.

Hopefully there's something in there even a more obsessive fan hasn't heard before (Sweet and Bitter anybody?)
Rab2591 made the intro, Judd did tons of slick editing throughout the rest of it.

Enjoy!

Art by Judd

Sounds great & I like the bootleg artcover as well!
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »

Al looks like Joe Pesci with beard!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »

What year is that profile picture of Mike from? It's so weird to see him with such a full head of hair!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx