gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:01:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leif Garrett sings Sufin' USA  (Read 3879 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »

Hi all,

I was on you tube over the weekend.  While I was listening to songs I noticed one of the choi8ces was Leif Garrett singing Surfin' USA.  I listened to it.  He sang this song very well.   
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »

Hi all,

I was on you tube over the weekend.  While I was listening to songs I noticed one of the choi8ces was Leif Garrett singing Surfin' USA.  I listened to it.  He sang this song very well.   

A few years back, I played an old girlfriend of mine from the Philippines a live version of "Surfin' U.S.A" by The Beach Boys. She said, "Wow, who's that?" I said, "The Beach Boys". She said she bought Leif's 45 when it came out and always thought it was he who wrote and sang it originally. I gave her the lowdown and she was surprised. Brian re-wrote the lyrics to Sweet Sixteen, released it, and got threatening letters from Chuck Berry to include his name on publishing/label credit. I have the early version of the single - one that has "Brian Wilson" on the label credit and a later pressing with "Chuck Berry" on the label credit. And while I'm on the subject; I just realized it. Brian was also the sole credit to the flip side of the Surfin' USA single, "Shut Down"! Then on later pressings, Roger Christian was credited along with Brian. Was that Murry pulling a fast one to get more publishing dollars? Maybe. Or maybe just an oversight. Yeah, that's it!

So. A trivia question. Who wrote the lyrics to Surfin' USA? Specifically, who compiled a list of surfing sites and gave it to Brian? Was it Jimmy Bowles or Mike Love?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

So. A trivia question. Who wrote the lyrics to Surfin' USA? Specifically, who compiled5 a list of surfing sites and gave it to Brian? Was it Jimmy Bowles or Mike Love?

Both, right? Bowles came up with the list, Mike turned them into lyrics.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

I remember when Leif's version of that record came out, he was on perhaps "American Bandstand" and gave an interview saying that he hoped to make the songs he was covering popular once more as most of the kids his age had "no memory of them because most of them were very young when they were originally on the radio". 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »

Jimmy Bowles wrote out a list of surfing spots at Brian's request, but he didn't write any other lyrics.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »

The thing that got me was that the original Surfin' USA made it to #3 in 1963, and then again in 1974 it made it to #36 on Billboard! This was on the heels of the Endless Summer/Spirit of America popularity resurgence. It blew Brian's mind too as he expressed on the Jim Pewter interview in August of that year. And then yet again with Leif Garrett's version in 1977, which hit #20 on Billboard; #2 in Australia! So Leif's release made it the highest on the charts!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:06:32 PM »

I'm reminded of this interesting exchange of opinions taken from the 2004 BBC documentary "Wouldn't It Be Nice."

Brian: "Dennis was our surfer. He told me names of places where people surf. So I put Surfin' U.S.A. together like that."

Al: "Mike Love will tell you that he gave the names."

Mike: "I was actually the one who arranged those words. I wrote them out because I was singing the lead. There are other fabrications or stories that are told but that was what happened."

Al: "I can't honestly say that I beleive that because Mike didn't surf either."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »

I'm reminded of this interesting exchange of opinions taken from the 2004 BBC documentary "Wouldn't It Be Nice."

Brian: "Dennis was our surfer. He told me names of places where people surf. So I put Surfin' U.S.A. together like that."

Al: "Mike Love will tell you that he gave the names."

Mike: "I was actually the one who arranged those words. I wrote them out because I was singing the lead. There are other fabrications or stories that are told but that was what happened."

Al: "I can't honestly say that I beleive that because Mike didn't surf either."

I side with Brian and Al on this one. I don't have anything against Mike. Just seems like he feels inadequate in some way.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:54 PM »

2addsomemusic/Mr. Tudball: um, did you read these comments?:

Bowles came up with the list, Mike turned them into lyrics.

Jimmy Bowles wrote out a list of surfing spots at Brian's request, but he didn't write any other lyrics.
No mention of Dennis, Brian's memory is shaky (as if no one knew?).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »

Quote from: Mikie
#2 in Australia! So Leif's release made it the highest on the charts!!
I thought only US & UK charts had any kind of weight. Australia was a big deal too?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 11:55:27 PM »

I have the early version of the single - one that has "Brian Wilson" on the label credit and a later pressing with "Chuck Berry" on the label credit. And while I'm on the subject; I just realized it. Brian was also the sole credit to the flip side of the Surfin' USA single, "Shut Down"! Then on later pressings, Roger Christian was credited along with Brian. Was that Murry pulling a fast one to get more publishing dollars? Maybe. Or maybe just an oversight. Yeah, that's it!

OK, so we know the Surfin USA writer's credit on the label went from "Brian Wilson" to "Chuck Berry", but does anyone know why it then went to "C. Berry, B. Wilson"?

Anyone know the specifics of the lawsuit or agreement with Chuck Berry and/or his publisher?  Does Brian currently get a % of the writer's credit for lyrics?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »

I have the early version of the single - one that has "Brian Wilson" on the label credit and a later pressing with "Chuck Berry" on the label credit. And while I'm on the subject; I just realized it. Brian was also the sole credit to the flip side of the Surfin' USA single, "Shut Down"! Then on later pressings, Roger Christian was credited along with Brian. Was that Murry pulling a fast one to get more publishing dollars? Maybe. Or maybe just an oversight. Yeah, that's it!

OK, so we know the Surfin USA writer's credit on the label went from "Brian Wilson" to "Chuck Berry", but does anyone know why it then went to "C. Berry, B. Wilson"?

Anyone know the specifics of the lawsuit or agreement with Chuck Berry and/or his publisher?  Does Brian currently get a % of the writer's credit for lyrics?

And how come Mike didn't ask for a slice during the legal case? After all, he claimed to have arranged be place names…

Note that on the 2012 remaster mono/stereo Surfin USA CD it was Berry while on 50 BOs it was Bery/Wilson. No consistency…

“We live in divisive times.”
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »

Wow that cove of Sufin' USA by Leif Gaett is nowhee nea as good as the vesion Bian Wilson and his bothers, cousin and fiend poduced.

But hey, what is? At least this Leif Gaett fellow tied to bing the geat music we love so much to the geneal population.

No mas, por favor.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 02:39:34 AM »

And how come Mike didn't ask for a slice during the legal case? After all, he claimed to have arranged be place names…

...particularly as he claims in the 1992 Goldmine interview that he wrote 90 percent of "Surfin' U.S.A." for which he didn't receive a writing credit.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 04:18:15 AM »

Wow that cove of Sufin' USA by Leif Gaett is nowhee nea as good as the vesion Bian Wilson and his bothers, cousin and fiend poduced.

But hey, what is? At least this Leif Gaett fellow tied to bing the geat music we love so much to the geneal population.
Tish
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:20:38 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »

Quote from: Mikie
#2 in Australia! So Leif's release made it the highest on the charts!!
I thought only US & UK charts had any kind of weight. Australia was a big deal too?

It was a big deal to Australians! The record obviously sold like hotcakes in Australia. The following year the band went to Australia because they new they were hot there based on the sales of their records sold up to that point. Plus, I just threw that up for conjecture because it went all the way to #2. Because I get to.  Smiley

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »

Tish

It ain't tish. He's got a very valid point. Leif's record exposed a Beach Boys song to the masses one more time. Just like the Roth cover did later on.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »

Tish

It ain't tish. He's got a very valid point. Leif's record exposed a Beach Boys song to the masses one more time. Just like the Roth cover did later on.
tish on account of he should know better than to post when he's sky high and can't type

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »

He ain't high. He's just missing the "R" on his keyboard!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »

He ain't high. He's just missing the "R" on his keyboard!

Nahhh, I see now, it was just a stupid lame humor attempt , as these bookends demonstrate: 

WOW, AL LIKES TO FLIP FLOP WAY MORE THAN FORMER UNITED STATES PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE JOHN KERRY.

EITHER CHASTISE OR PRAISE MIKE LOVE, OKAY AL? NONE OF THIS GOING BACK AND FORTH YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO FEEL ONE WAY ABOUT SOMETHING.

This, entirely. Smiley Smile was meant to happen, and is perfect the way it is.

Honestly, if Pets Sounds did as bad on the charts as it did, the likelihood of the aborted Smile album doing much better than Smiley Smile is pretty low.....

People seem to forget The Beach Boys' Smile is just an idea, not a completed, cohesive artistic statement like Smiley Smile ended up being.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx