gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:35:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm meeting Mike Love's Beach Boys tomorrow  (Read 18100 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 02:48:30 AM »

Oh, and I don't care about the autotune on C50 Live.  Its a great document of a great tour with a killer setlist.  I'm fine with that.
Otm. Short of track or 2, I like it a lot. If the music is good, nothing will get in the way of enjoying it for me.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 06:36:45 AM »

Meet and greets are designed to be very superficial, hello, where you from, great, let's take a picture.  They aren't the place for in-depth interviews unfortunately.  It sounds like you got more from the time with Bruce than most.

The burning questions for Mike that I have, and as far as I know have never been answered, is what he thinks of Smiley Smile.  I'd have probably brought a copy of it for him to sign to open the door for discussion.  His rewrite of He Gives Speeches as She's Goin' Bald is as trippy as anything on Smile.  Had he accepted this was where music was going and he was joining in the psychedelic lyric writing of the time, was he getting stoned at this point (he did use marijuana for a time until TM in early 68), was the group happy with the new DIY approach of Smiley vs. the big LA studio productions, how much input did the group really have in the arrangements and production of the songs since production was credited to the Beach Boys, what does he think now of Gettin' Hungry being released as a single by Brian and Mike, etc.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »

Meet and greets are designed to be very superficial, hello, where you from, great, let's take a picture.  They aren't the place for in-depth interviews unfortunately.  It sounds like you got more from the time with Bruce than most.

The burning questions for Mike that I have, and as far as I know have never been answered, is what he thinks of Smiley Smile.  I'd have probably brought a copy of it for him to sign to open the door for discussion.  His rewrite of He Gives Speeches as She's Goin' Bald is as trippy as anything on Smile.  Had he accepted this was where music was going and he was joining in the psychedelic lyric writing of the time, was he getting stoned at this point (he did use marijuana for a time until TM in early 68), was the group happy with the new DIY approach of Smiley vs. the big LA studio productions, how much input did the group really have in the arrangements and production of the songs since production was credited to the Beach Boys, what does he think now of Gettin' Hungry being released as a single by Brian and Mike, etc.
He really smoked weed? I've never heard or read that.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 06:04:02 AM »

He really smoked weed? I've never heard or read that.

"We did this one night on the bus with the Buffalo Springfield all stoned and drunk and everything. It sounded great!"

- The Grateful Dead + The Beach Boys ~22:25

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 07:12:24 AM »

Since someone brought up Smiley Smile, does anyone ever wonder if maybe it was an act of rebellion? Did the label ever say to Brian at some point, "Hey, you've done enough sessions. Deliver the album or no more sessions!" I had to imagine the pressure was intense. So perhaps Brian, in reaction, dashed off an album in his home as fast as possible as a sort of stoned f*** you. "No studio? OK! No problem. Here you go. I call it Smiley Smile." I might be way off, but I wonder.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »

Cool story, Bruce seems like a nice guy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »

I just thought of this...while Bruce was coming up with songs with Linda, did he sing or mention Al's Lady Lynda?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »

Cool story, Bruce seems like a nice guy.

Caught him on a good day...I definitely didn't, and neither did several other posters here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »

That said, though, I'm glad he was on good behavior that day, and definitely glad you shared the story.  I can imagine it must've felt kind of weird with Jeff, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »

Speaking of Bruce, I recently read a story that somebody at a recent show somebody came up to him and said something to break the ice, something like, "hey, I'm a big fan of Jan & Dean," to which he responded "not me"!

This is a bit rich considering this guy partnered with the other big surf music do-nothing, Dean Torrence, to remix and re-record early '60s Jan & Dean records as The Legendary Masked Surfers. Now I agree that Jan & Dean isn't that great, and that they are probably not worth much more than a best of CD, but the funny thing is with this is that Bruce himself doesn't even agree with his statement. I think it probably just comes down to his better than everybody, country club conservative asshole personality. He also probably realizes that he's not Brian Wilson or Mike Love (or even Al Jardine), so if he is kind of a dick to a Beach Boys fan, it probably won't stop them from supporting the group as the person probably doesn't give a sh*t about him anyways.

However, at least to me, in the past few years Bruce has severely damaged his reputation. He comes off as a cranky, "get off my yard", somewhat spiteful old white guy. Which coincidently are some of the most annoying people in the world.*

I'm a reasonably young white guy, and hope to be an old white guy at some point. So nothing against old white guys, just Bruce Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »

I think it probably just comes down to his better than everybody, country club conservative asshole personality. He also probably realizes that he's not Brian Wilson or Mike Love (or even Al Jardine), so if he is kind of a dick to a Beach Boys fan, it probably won't stop them from supporting the group as the person probably doesn't give a sh*t about him anyways.

Pretty much, yeah, and also the fact that he looks down on people who obsess over the BB music, as it's just (by his own words, from several sources) "a paying gig' to him.

SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »

I'll take Jan and Dean over Bruce's tunes any day of the week.
The guy is a complete phony.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »

Bruce was a grade A knock-off artist.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »

Grade F. Get it right, dammit!

LOL

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »

I had a similar experience with Bruce that Bubbly Waves did - he was really nice and talkative, told me some stories, brought up getting a photo together, etc. I didn't expect to run into him so it took my brain a little while to catch up, but he really filled up the conversation.

It's a shame he has 'off' days where he's cranky, but my chance meeting with Bruce is a really great memory.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 04:07:26 PM »

I don't get the "I'm a fan but I hate Bruce sentiment". He's a great talent, a solid-crafted songwriter, an accomplished instrumentalist and singer... And he's immortalized on a few classic records. He produced LA Album, which seems to be a favorite around here. He's done and produced his due ammount of caca, just like any of us. But he's achieved much more than most of us; that's why I don't dig the "I'm above him" tone of some posts. True, based on his capacity he could have afforded a much bigger career than he has, but A) he accomplished a lot anyway by all means and B) by the time you're 70+ you have already achieved your peak years if not decades before.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »

I'm not taking away from his talent whilein the band (although I consider his solo work the weakest by far, and producing two out of my 3 least favorite BB records does him no favors)...I'm just saying that my own (thankfully limited) dealings with him were less than pleasant (to put it mildly), and I'm not alone in that regard.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »

Yeah, I met Bruce when he was having a bad day also. I met him a second time and he was fine.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »

I have met Bruce approximately 10 times over the last 20 years. I kid you not when I say that on 5 of those occasions he was absolutely wonderful . Great conversation about the Beach Boys history, anecdotes about recording, signing things I didn't even ask him to sign. Some of these conversations lasted nearly an hour in length.  On one occasion he made sure I followed him into the venue when my name was mistakenly left off of the ticket and pass list--if not for him that night I would not have gotten in and he made sure I got backstage passes and tickets with the groups's family. Why I have no idea other than it was indeed one of his "good days". The other 5? Complete nightmare Diva behavior.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2014, 12:14:06 PM »

Here's my signed record, with Mike taking up an enormous amount of space and Bruce not completing his signature

kind of sums Mike and Bruce up in a lot of ways

thanks for sharing!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »

Here's my signed record, with Mike taking up an enormous amount of space and Bruce not completing his signature

thanks for sharing!

LOL

SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »

I don't get the "I'm a fan but I hate Bruce sentiment". He's a great talent, a solid-crafted songwriter, an accomplished instrumentalist and singer... And he's immortalized on a few classic records. He produced LA Album, which seems to be a favorite around here. He's done and produced his due ammount of caca, just like any of us. But he's achieved much more than most of us; that's why I don't dig the "I'm above him" tone of some posts. True, based on his capacity he could have afforded a much bigger career than he has, but A) he accomplished a lot anyway by all means and B) by the time you're 70+ you have already achieved your peak years if not decades before.

I don't think of myself as above Bruce, nor he above me. We both put our shorts on one leg at a time, his just ride a little higher.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »

She didn't really seem to mind the whole autotune disaster. I wonder if we're the only ones who really care.

Please believe you (and a few others) are most definately the only ones who care... or can even tell. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »

Speaking of Bruce, I recently read a story that somebody at a recent show somebody came up to him and said something to break the ice, something like, "hey, I'm a big fan of Jan & Dean," to which he responded "not me"!

This is a bit rich considering this guy partnered with the other big surf music do-nothing, Dean Torrence, to remix and re-record early '60s Jan & Dean records as The Legendary Masked Surfers. Now I agree that Jan & Dean isn't that great, and that they are probably not worth much more than a best of CD, but the funny thing is with this is that Bruce himself doesn't even agree with his statement. I think it probably just comes down to his better than everybody, country club conservative asshole personality. He also probably realizes that he's not Brian Wilson or Mike Love (or even Al Jardine), so if he is kind of a dick to a Beach Boys fan, it probably won't stop them from supporting the group as the person probably doesn't give a sh*t about him anyways.

However, at least to me, in the past few years Bruce has severely damaged his reputation. He comes off as a cranky, "get off my yard", somewhat spiteful old white guy. Which coincidently are some of the most annoying people in the world.*

I'm a reasonably young white guy, and hope to be an old white guy at some point. So nothing against old white guys, just Bruce Grin

One thing Bruce DOES do, is say he doesn't like people he knows and has actually met and worked with (Jan, and Dean).  You, on the other hand, have problems with anybody you imagine is a 'better than you country club conservative'. 

So since you espoused that, I'm still in camp Bruce.  You're giving him sh*t for his opinion, but yet you have an opinion about a whole group of people you created in your mind. 

Good day.

I SAY GOOD DAY, SIR
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »

thanks for sharing!

This.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx