gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:38:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm meeting Mike Love's Beach Boys tomorrow  (Read 18011 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »

Ask them if they like Harry Nilsson - if they do, you can have a good old chat.

Have a time! Lucky guy!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »

What a great opportunity. Enjoy your evening !

And I'd advise either Sunflower or Summer Days... or both!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

I'm off to the concert.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »

whatever you do, don't say "between you guys." Make it polite and grammatical: "among the surviving band members."
Tell them about the BB pile up today and that we want them together to create and perform music. Our hearts are longing for it. Mike will understand.

I'm off to the concert.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »

That wont happen, Mike is too self obsessed as the only real BB and equal of Brian Wilson. Mike's ego and jealous rage at BW destroyed the BBs past and present.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »

Sorry Waves.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »

Tell them about the BB pile up today and that we want them together to create and perform music. Our hearts are longing for it. Mike will understand.

Mike who?

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »

i'd go out and buy the today lp. he loves signing that one.

good to see you pop up.  Where u been?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »

Nice to see you Steve and Donald!

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »

All right, so here's how it all went - and, like any good writer, I'll start us off with some useless exposition.

On our way over, my friend decided to play some of the C50 live album (God knows why, seems like that will only lead to disappointment) and holy crap is that terrible. She didn't really seem to mind the whole autotune disaster. I wonder if we're the only ones who really care.

We picked up our passes at will call and made our way into the very crowded area. We talked to a couple of people about this meet & greet, but no one really seemed to know anything about it and my friend reassured me this is how it goes every time. Not a very organized bunch, apparently. There's supposedly a woman named Tara who knows what's supposed to happen, but no one can find her. We're just told to come to the stage entrance 30 minutes before the Beach Boys go on, as if we somehow know when that is. So, we decided to wander around the grounds for awhile, during which I completely walked by Bruce and some of the touring members without even noticing. Didn't really see anyone else with a M&G pass while walking around.

There were THREE opening bands for the Beach Boys. We only stuck around for a song or three during the first band's set, who miraculously had four instruments pumping through the loud speakers with only three people on stage and multi-layered vocals supplied by one guy. Truly a remarkable band.

We went back to the front and managed to run into Jeff near the backstage door. The person who brought me is actually friends with Jeff, so we went up to him and they greeted each other, only to have him step away on a phone call. This happened repeatedly - Jeff seems like an incredibly busy guy - and it made our meeting a bit awkward. It started off great: I shook his hand, smiled, looked him in the eye (which is more than I can say more for most of my personal encounters) and had an incredibly forced conversation. I was introduced as being a huge fan of Brian and then was told to tell him about the instruments I play. I listed about one or two, which is when he left again on a phone call. He came back and we started over, and when I finished listing them, I got a thumbs up and "Congratulations" from Jeff. Thanks, Jeff...? So, I was then set up to answer the question of "Who's your favorite composer" and I obligingly said "Brian Wilson." Jeff replied "Well, we have that in common" and he looked at my friend and smiled. She asked about the meet & greet and he told us to show up at the backstage door after the show, and then he took off.

After hanging around a bit, we managed to get backstage to a waiting area where a lot of the touring band and family members were hanging out. A couple minutes later, Jackie and the beautiful Ambha Love walked by and headed up the stairs, where I see Mike is standing and waiting for them. We're there with another two people (four of us in total for this M&G), a mother and daughter, seemingly the daughter's idea as the mother didn't seem very excited. A couple minutes passed and it was finally time for us to meet them.

Now we're actually backstage, looking at all the crew members and boxes upon boxes of equipment. After a bit of standing around, Bruce magically appeared right in front of me, took the record from me and said "This is the best record the Beach Boys ever made. Well, obviously Pet Sounds is the best, but...." He mentioned that he saw me carrying it earlier on (must have been when I passed him without realizing it) and said I had excellent taste. He said it was "an absolute joy to make" and it's really obvious that Bruce loves the record to death. He flipped over the record and we started to go over the track list together, with him singing bits of songs like "This Whole World". I told him that I loved "Deirdre", to which he replied "Oh, I wrote that." He also said "Oh, I wrote 'Tears in the Morning', too." And I told him that I also loved that one, at which point he told me the song was inspired by his girlfriend moving away to Europe, but he changed it to be about a husband and wife in the song. He came to "All I Wanna Do" and said "Oh, we do that one sometimes", which, as we know, is not true and completely dismantled my question. How can I request that he play the song when he already thinks they do? He also mentioned "Our Sweet Love" with obvious adoration and stared at the song title on the back of the record. It's obvious that he has a great respect for Brian's work.

All the while he was doing this, he was also serenading the mother of the accompanying mother and daughter, whose name is Linda, with all the songs he can think of that have "Linda" in the title. Linda was rosy-red and had a smile while Bruce was singing to her and it was clear she was having a great time now. He went on to talk about Sunflower, calling it the weakest selling Beach Boys record, and mentioned something about some photos of him and Dennis surfing together that recently surfaced (or something along those lines).

Mike finally showed up, took his customary photo, didn't speak much, kindly signed my record and took off. I didn't get to say anything to him, but I noticed how old his voice sounded. He truly sounded 70 years old, which sort of shocked me because his singing voice sounds so much younger. Bruce finally broke away from singing to Linda, signed my record, and headed for the stage. I wish we could have stayed back there to watch the concert, but we were ushered back to our seats. Apparently, neither Mike or Bruce usually say much, but I got lucky with the chatty Bruce that decided to show up that night.

Anyway, to finish up, Bruce was incredibly charming and charismatic and really made it a great experience. I wish Mike would have talked to us a bit more, but he might have been busy with his wife and daughter or something. Oh, well. Some other things: Cowsill was dressed entirely in purple; the show has a bunch of weird gags, like a creaking noise when Mike stands up from his BTTYS intro, and a slideshow of John Stamos selling yogurt and a video of him slightly naked. They also performed "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring", which Mike made it seem like they do very seldom, and he dedicated to John's mother who had recently passed. Do they not do that one very often? It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.

Anyway, thanks, Bruce. You were awesome.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:13:06 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »

All right, so here's how it all went - and, like any good writer, I'll start us off with some useless exposition.

On our way over, my friend decided to play some of the C50 live album (God knows why, seems like that will only lead to disappointment) and holy crap is that terrible. She didn't really seem to mind the whole autotune disaster. I wonder if we're the only ones who really care.

We picked up our passes at will call and made our way into the very crowded area. We talked to a couple of people about this meet & greet, no one really seemed to know anything about it and she reassured me this is how it is every time. Not a very organized bunch, apparently. There's supposedly a woman named Tara who knows what's supposed to happen, but no one can find her. We're just told to come to the stage entrance 30 minutes before the Beach Boys go on, as if we somehow know when that is. So, we decided to wander around the grounds for awhile, during which I completely walked by Bruce and some of the touring members without even noticing. Didn't really see anyone else with a M&G pass while walking around.

There were THREE opening bands for the Beach Boys. We only stuck around for a song or three during the first band's set, who miraculously had four instruments pumping through the loud speakers with only three people on stage and multi-layered vocals supplied by one guy. Truly a remarkable band.

So, we went back to the front and managed to run into Jeff. The person who brought me is actually friends with Jeff, so we went up and they greeted each other, only to have him step away on a phone call. This happened repeatedly - Jeff seems like an incredibly busy guy. Our meeting was a bit awkward because he kept leaving. It started off great: I shook his hand, smiled, looked him in the eye (which is more than I can say more for most of my personal encounters) and had an incredibly forced conversation. I was introduced as being a huge fan of Brian and then was told to tell him about the instruments I play. I listed about one or two, which is when he left again on a phone call. He came back and we started over, and when I finished listing them, I got a thumbs up and "Congratulations" from Jeff. Thanks, Jeff...? So, I was then set up to answer the question of "Who's your favorite composer" and I obligingly said "Brian Wilson." Jeff replied "Well, we have that in common" and he looked at my friend and smiled. She asked about the meet & greet and he told us to show up at the backstage door after the show, and then he took off.

After hanging around a bit, we managed to get backstage to a waiting area where a lot of the touring band and family members were hanging out. A couple minutes later, Jackie and the beautiful Ambha Love walked by and headed up the stairs, where I see Mike is standing and waiting for them. We're there with another two people (four of us in total for this M&G), a mother and daughter, seemingly the daughter's idea as the mother doesn't seem very excited. A couple minutes pass and it's finally time for us to meet them.

Now we're actually backstage, looking at all the crew members and boxes upon boxes of equipment. After a bit of standing around, Bruce magically appears right in front of me, takes the record from me and said "This is the best record the Beach Boys ever made. Well, obviously Pet Sounds is the best, but...." He mentioned that he saw me carrying it earlier on (must have been when I passed him without realizing it) and said I had excellent taste. He said it was "an absolute joy to make" and it's really obvious that Bruce loves the record to death. He flipped over the record and we started to go over the track list together, with him singing bits of songs like "This Whole World". I told him that I loved "Deirdre", to which he replied "Oh, I wrote that." He also said "Oh, I wrote 'Tears in the Morning', too." And I told him that I also loved that one, at which point he told me the song was inspired by his girlfriend moving away to Europe, but he changed it to be about a husband and wife in the song. He came to "All I Wanna Do" and said "Oh, we do that one sometimes", which, as we know, is not true and completely dismantled my question. How can I request that he play the song when he already thinks they do? He also mentioned "Our Sweet Love" with obvious adoration and stared at the song title on the back of the record. It's obvious that he has a great respect for Brian's work.

All the while he's doing this, he's also serenading the mother of the accompanying mother and daughter, whose name is Linda, with all the songs he can think of that have "Linda" in the title. Linda was rosy-red and had a smile while Bruce was singing to her and it was obvious she was having a great time now. He went on to talk about Sunflower, calling it the weakest selling Beach Boys record, and mentioned something about some photos of him and Dennis surfing together that recently surfaced (or something along those lines).

Mike finally showed up, took his customary photo, didn't speak much, kindly signed my record and took off. I didn't get to say anything to him, but I noticed how old his voice sounded. He truly sounded like an 70 year old, which sort of shocked me because his singing voice sounds so much younger. Bruce finally broke away from singing to Linda, and signed my record before taking off for the stage. I wish we could have stayed back there to watch the concert, but we were ushered back to our seats. Apparently, neither usually say much, but I got lucky with the chatty Bruce that decided to show up that night.

Anyway, to finish up, Bruce was incredibly charming and charismatic and really made it a great experience. I wish Mike would have talked to us a bit more, but he might have been busy with his wife and daughter or something. Oh, well. Some other things: Cowsill was dressed entirely in purple; the show has a bunch of weird gags, like a creaking noise when Mike stands up from his BTTYS intro, and a slideshow of John Stamos selling yogurt and a video of him slightly naked. They also performed "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring", which Mike made it seem like they do very seldom, but he dedicated to John's mother who had recently passed. Do they not do that one very often? It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.

Anyway, thanks, Bruce. You were awesome.
Thanks for that! A good read. Glad you had the fortune to experience the 'Dr. Jekyll' side of Bruce. The 'creaking noise' gag was already there at the C50 concerts, maybe even earlier.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »

Here's my signed record, with Mike taking up an enormous amount of space and Bruce not completing his signature:
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »

I believe the creaking noise gag is on the 1993 box set Paramount show, so it's been around for at least that long. Glad that Bruce Johnst made it a fun time!  Cheesy
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »

He came to "All I Wanna Do" and said "Oh, we do that one sometimes", which, as we know, is not true and completely dismantled my question.

Did you consider that he might have read this thread, and was trolling you?

I'm not saying that it's what happened, but it's definitely what I would have done if I were Bruce Johnston.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:23:17 PM by Theydon Bois » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »

Any chance that is one of the rarities they have been doing during the M&G's package announced a few months back? Haven't there been a few songs played in those that never make the show?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »

Here's my signed record, with Mike taking up an enormous amount of space and Bruce not completing his signature:

Thanks for the memories...  You should have asked Bruce if he ever does his numbers from Sunflower these days.
Is that Love, Mike Love?  Like Bond, James Bond.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »

He came to "All I Wanna Do" and said "Oh, we do that one sometimes", which, as we know, is not true and completely dismantled my question.

Did you consider that he might have read this thread, and was trolling you?

I'm not saying that it's what happened, but it's definitely what I would have done if I were Bruce Johnston.
that would be funny...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »

He was probably thinking of All This is That…

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:05 AM »

Thanks for sharing your memories of the evening, Josh. Btw, coincidentally the "Linda" story was posted on the BB Britain messageboard.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »

Great stories indeed!

Was "their hearts..." the only real oddball in the setlist?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »

Great stories indeed!

The songs choice didn't seem that weird to me, but I remember someone in front of me saying "they're playing some weird songs today."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 07:20:19 AM »

Your meet 'n' greet went off pretty well. Reading this thread, one would think it's a waste of money: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12939.0.html

Re "All I Wanna Do", why not say plain & simple "No, Bruce, you never performed it, please do! We, fans, like this song & have been wishing to hear it since Earth creation; Mike sounds so good there! Tell him that."? Who knows, he might digest your words.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »

No offense, but the entire experience sounds disappointing.

Oh, and I don't care about the autotune on C50 Live.  Its a great document of a great tour with a killer setlist.  I'm fine with that.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 01:30:56 AM »

He came to "All I Wanna Do" and said "Oh, we do that one sometimes", which, as we know, is not true and completely dismantled my question. How can I request that he play the song when he already thinks they do?

You should have given him a "well golly gee, Mr. Johnston, it sure would be swell if your band could play that number at tonight's show."

No mas, por favor.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »

Great stories indeed!

The songs choice didn't seem that weird to me, but I remember someone in front of me saying "they're playing some weird songs today."

I'd guess that a lot of people on this board have different ideas of what a 'weird song' is from the average attendee of an M/B Beach Boys concert.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx