gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:45:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm meeting Mike Love's Beach Boys tomorrow  (Read 18136 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »

Since someone brought up Smiley Smile, does anyone ever wonder if maybe it was an act of rebellion? Did the label ever say to Brian at some point, "Hey, you've done enough sessions. Deliver the album or no more sessions!" I had to imagine the pressure was intense. So perhaps Brian, in reaction, dashed off an album in his home as fast as possible as a sort of stoned f*** you. "No studio? OK! No problem. Here you go. I call it Smiley Smile." I might be way off, but I wonder.

You are indeed way off...  Grin

Re: Good Bruce/bad Bruce, allow me to let you all in on The Secret: he's human, he has shitty days. I got on the wrong side of him more than once, and to give him his due, he apologised shortly after. But fact is, like the rest of the band, he's human. Is anyone here a regular sunbeam for Jesus 24/7 ? Anyone who just put their hand up, you're lying, and fooling yourself.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:01:02 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »

Since someone brought up Smiley Smile, does anyone ever wonder if maybe it was an act of rebellion? Did the label ever say to Brian at some point, "Hey, you've done enough sessions. Deliver the album or no more sessions!" I had to imagine the pressure was intense. So perhaps Brian, in reaction, dashed off an album in his home as fast as possible as a sort of stoned f*** you. "No studio? OK! No problem. Here you go. I call it Smiley Smile." I might be way off, but I wonder.

Re: Good Bruce/bad Bruce, allow me to let you all in on The Secret: he's human, he has shitty days. I got on the wrong side of him more than once, and to give him his due, he apologised shortly after. But fact is, like the rest of the band, he's human. Is anyone here a regular sunbeam for Jesus 24/7 ? Anyone who just put their hand up, you're lying, and fooling yourself.  Smiley
True. Still, there is a difference between being 'regularly human' and periodically being an unpleasant a**hole toward people (/fans).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »

Ah, dammit, did it again...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

Re: Good Bruce/bad Bruce, allow me to let you all in on The Secret: he's human, he has shitty days. I got on the wrong side of him more than once, and to give him his due, he apologised shortly after. But fact is, like the rest of the band, he's human. Is anyone here a regular sunbeam for Jesus 24/7 ? Anyone who just put their hand up, you're lying, and fooling yourself.  Smiley

This is of course true . I will say, however, that in the same number of times I had the pleasure to meet Al, Carl and Mike over the years they were a heck of a lot better at not taking out their bad days on other people😏 Yet giving Bruce his due, on his good days none of the other guys has given me as much of their time as he has
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:41:54 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »

Re: Good Bruce/bad Bruce, allow me to let you all in on The Secret: he's human, he has shitty days. I got on the wrong side of him more than once, and to give him his due, he apologised shortly after. But fact is, like the rest of the band, he's human. Is anyone here a regular sunbeam for Jesus 24/7 ? Anyone who just put their hand up, you're lying, and fooling yourself.  Smiley

This is of course true . I will say, however, that in the same number of times I had the pleasure to meet Al, Carl and Mike over the years they were a heck of a lot better at not taking out their bad days on other people Yet giving Bruce his due, on his good days none of the other guys has given me as much of their time as he has

Perhaps the best thing would be for Bruce to wear a reversible Good Day/ Bad Day tag at all the concerts, so as to alert his fans to his mood   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »

Well...keep in mind that we as hardcore Beach Boys fans are colossal weirdos, incessantly babbling about things these men did decades ago that they've either forgotten or don't care about. That may be a factor in how we're perceived.  Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

Well...keep in mind that we as hardcore Beach Boys fans are colossal weirdos, incessantly babbling about things these men did decades ago that they've either forgotten or don't care about. That may be a factor in how we're perceived.  Grin

Makes us fit in perfectly with them dontcha think?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:10 AM »

Ah, dammit, did it again...

Huh?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »

But as Howie Edelson pointed out some time back, and I have also seen myself, Bruce can go hot and cold even on this factor. Sometimes he'll seem like he's trying to impress you with having arcane knowledge about some music bit, or having been personally involved in it, and at other times he seemingly wants to dismiss the fandom or make fun of people for wanting to know.

I've known people like this. They're nice on *their* terms.

Other than some weird (but almost never mean or cruel) anecdotes about meeting Brian, I've seen exponentially more reports of weird or off-putting moments meeting and/or talking to Bruce than any of Mike, Al, Dave, Carl, Dennis, and the myriad of other related folks. And it's not as if there are a bunch of smart-asses going to shows and taunting Bruce asking him about the disco version of "Here Comes the Night", or why he plays such a minimal role in the live show, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »

I will say, however, that in the same number of times I had the pleasure to meet Al, Carl and Mike over the years they were a heck of a lot better at not taking out their bad days on other people.
Exactly, Watson.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »

One thing Bruce DOES do, is say he doesn't like people he knows and has actually met and worked with (Jan, and Dean).  You, on the other hand, have problems with anybody you imagine is a 'better than you country club conservative'. 

So since you espoused that, I'm still in camp Bruce.  You're giving him sh*t for his opinion, but yet you have an opinion about a whole group of people you created in your mind. 

Good day.

I SAY GOOD DAY, SIR

The f*** are you even talking about? I wasn't giving Brucie sh*t for voicing his opinion. I was pointing out that Bruce said he wasn't a fan of Jan & Dean despite the fact that he was good friends with them and has done re-records of their material (I think even more than once). Which leads me to believe that he likes their material at least a little bit. Since you know, usually people don't go in to re-record or remix material that they don't like. Although knowing about Bruce, who knows?

I know the post offended your sensibilities because you're a big Republican. I remember you're the guy who told us that all of The Beach Boys are Republicans and to "get over it" or something. Which was proven demonstrably false by either Jon Stebbins or Howie Edelson. Can't remember which. But it's all good. I'm sure you think I'm "against" Bruce because he's Republican but you couldn't be further from the truth. That sh*t don't matter to me.

You on the other hand, say you know stuff about people you have never met and who you imagine are latte swilling, elitist, New York Times reading liberals. You also have opinions about a whole group of people you created in your mind. All of have on here. Hardly any of on here know Brian Wilson or any of the guys, but through research and maybe a few meetings we've developed opinions on these people.

Good night sweetheart.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »

True. Still, there is a difference between being 'regularly human' and periodically being an unpleasant a**hole toward people (/fans).

I would say there's a difference between being an asshole in general and being an asshole to someone who just paid good money into the coffers by buying a concert ticket and/or Meet and Greet.

I know the argument: they produce a product and we buy it. And, I know it can sometimes be a pain for celebrities to deal with fans. But, it's always helpful to remember that the hard earned cash of every day fans pays for their mansions, pools and baseball caps. The least they can do is be pleasant.

There's an old business saying: The customer isn't an interruption of your work. They are the reason for your work.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »

I've heard Bruce is nice guy from some people and a huge jerk from others. See, this is one reason why Bruce is my least favorite Beach Boy. I really like 'Deirdre' and 'Disney Girls' is pretty good, but otherwise his songs with the group are only okay. He says he loved Sunflower a lot, which is, as far as the general public goes, a lesser-known Beach Boys album, and at the same time, his comments about being in it (the whole Beach Boys thing) for the money in Peter Ames Carlin's book is distressing. I don't know sometimes.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »

I've heard Bruce is nice guy from some people and a huge jerk from others. See, this is one reason why Bruce is my least favorite Beach Boy. I really like 'Deirdre' and 'Disney Girls' is pretty good, but otherwise his songs with the group are only okay. He says he loved Sunflower a lot, which is, as far as the general public goes, a lesser-known Beach Boys album, and at the same time, his comments about being in it (the whole Beach Boys thing) for the money in Peter Ames Carlin's book is distressing. I don't know sometimes.

Sounds to me like Bruce just enjoys messing with the fans' minds  Evil . After all, being asked the same weird questions by people like us year in year out might get on the nerves at times, so maybe sometimes he just doesn't feel like 'playing the game'.

Having said that, it's 'people like us' who've been paying his salary for the last 50 years or so.
Nicko1234
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »

I don`t find that distressing.

He didn`t want to give a lengthy interview on the same subject and answer the same sort of questions that he has been asked a million times before (which isn`t a criticism of PA Carlin btw) so he made an excuse.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »

I don`t find that distressing.

He didn`t want to give a lengthy interview on the same subject and answer the same sort of questions that he has been asked a million times before (which isn`t a criticism of PA Carlin btw) so he made an excuse.

Or more likely he probably would've gotten some uncomfortable questions that may have made him or Mike or whoever look like an asshole and he decided that he would rather just bail. Because judging from Carlin's book I think it's fair to say that this wasn't just the "same ol', same ol'". For instance, his interview with Mike was quite interesting. Too bad Bruce only likes softball questions on the Beach Boys Britain board, despite the fact that he claims "Europeans hate success". Errr, hey Bruce, Britain is in Europe ya know?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx