-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Do kids today have a wider appreciation of music?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do kids today have a wider appreciation of music?  (Read 4846 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »

Maybe this should go in the music forum, I dunno, but it is  only tangentially related to music, so whatever.

I was thinking the other day how when I was in high school (in the 90s), I was picked on for liking older music than whatever was current at the time (which is funny in retrospect, because these days I listen to more stuff from the 80s and 90s then anything else lol). Well, I was on YouTube, and I noticed that I had a whole bunch of songs my daughter Jaymie saved to the point I couldn't find anything I had tried to save (mainly funny videos, old wrestling matches, ect). SO, I'm in the process of having to create a playlist so when she uses my laptop I don't have my stuff cluttered. Still trying to figure out how a 7 year old figured out on her own how to look up stuff on Youtube and add to a playlist anyway, but whatever lol.

So, I was going through what she had downloaded, and well...I was amazed at how most of the songs were older and very few current stuff. I know she obsessively has it tuned on to the music channels on our UVerse service and always switching it around to the various sounds, but some of these things I hadn't even heard before myself (mainly the indie pop).

This is the playlist of the songs she downloaded. The first song on here, I here her playing pretty much nonstop almost like I imagine Brian did Be My Baby...and I was two years younger than her when it came out originally.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9Z1yVDDKrY0amcr30b2Whio80NucTMPS

Are all kids like this these days?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

Having no kids and no regular exposure to them, I can't exactly say. My suspicion would be this.

Those who aren't particularly interested probably have somewhat boring tastes, because the music they hear is decided for them by marketing or marketing principles based on their demographics and media consumption.

Those who are interested could have the most remarkable and diverse listening experiences of anyone, ever, and develop amazing tastes based on newly recombined influences. I envy the kids in this category, as while I'm not that old compared to most posters here--late 30s, so I developed my listening habits in the '80s and early '90s (as opposed to those '60s people)--seeking out music was still relatively difficult, especially where I grew up. You bought music (on cassette) from chain stores in malls or via Columbia or BMG record clubs. Rarities were just that. Top sellers were what we could hear and buy.

Your daughter sounds amazing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »

Ahhh...we're around the same age...I'm 36. I remember BMG mightly well...I used to spend half my paycheck on CDs, and at one point had a HUGE collection, as did my girlfriend of the time, Dana, (now my wife of 13 years) who was also a BMG member.

I turned Jaymie on to the Beach Boys, but noticed right away she gravited more to stuff like All This is That rather than the 'classic' material (although 'All Summer Long' is still one of her favorites, as is 'Hawaii'). I generally listen to the classic rock station in the car, which is likely where she heard ELO and such, but the fact that she's gone online and searched out deeper cuts blew my mind, and more amazingly...it's when she hears something she likes, and breaks down for me WHAT she likes about it ('Hear how the vocals and the guitar kinda bounce off each other? *makes rhythmic sound* The drum is a little off of that, so it sounds really cool')  It's funny though to have found out what she DOESN'T like, though... Fleetwood Mac came on, and she quickly let me know that 'Landslide' is 'the most boringest song in existence' and that Stevie Nicks 'sounds like she's singing while IN a landside' LOL

The fun for me though was hearing a few songs I never heard before, like Christina Perri's 'Jar of Hearts', and discovering it's a beautiful song. So, she turned me on to something. THAT feels good.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:27:22 PM by ♩♬ Salmon Chanted Evening ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:11:49 AM »

I grew up on BMG and Columbia House.  LOL I remember the "ritual" of my dad and I going through the catalogues meticulously, spending up to an hour or more. Then came the ritual of carefully writing everything down on paper, and filling out the orders.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »

I have observed that parents with eclectic tastes tend to have children who are not only more open-minded about music than their peers but also have eclectic tastes them selves.

I have also observed that most kids (including teens) have a very limited exposure to music and this have very narrow tastes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »

I grew up on BMG and Columbia House.  LOL I remember the "ritual" of my dad and I going through the catalogues meticulously, spending up to an hour or more. Then came the ritual of carefully writing everything down on paper, and filling out the orders.  Grin

For me the rituals were these:
 - Working to fill my obligations immediately, then quitting and joining again so I could get either the 12 for a penny or buy one get eight free (or whatever the specifics were, depending on the club); and
 - Realizing too late that I'd forgotten to return the "DON'T send me the choice of the month" card, only to find some album I didn't want in my mailbox, and having to either send it back and get the refund or, more often, lazily keep the piece of sh*t. Oh, what's this, the new Danger Danger album? Or Europe's Out of This World? Great...

I have observed that parents with eclectic tastes tend to have children who are not only more open-minded about music than their peers but also have eclectic tastes them selves.

I have also observed that most kids (including teens) have a very limited exposure to music and this have very narrow tastes.

That seems entirely logical. In my personal experience it would also be true. My parents had Buddy Holly, Elvis, the Monkees, the Beatles, John Denver, the Blackwood Brothers, the Oak Ridge Boys, the Chad Mitchell Trio, the Smothers Brothers, Sandy Nelson, Peter Paul & Mary, Kenny Rogers, an assortment of Spector-produced stuff, various classical music (I think probably Readers Digest collections or some such thing), etc. For their era of late 50s to early 70s, it was pretty diverse, really fully avoiding only heavy rock of the later part of that span. But it had country, jazz, classical, folk, pop, rock n roll, bluegrass, gospel.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »

Hmm, well, I think there's also something to be said for discovering it all yourself.
For me, music has been a solo journey and I've basically been out there on my own. I don't have any musical basis created by my parents, which seems like it has allowed to be open to absolutely anything and everything, y'know, started with a clean slate. Hell, I even discovered the Beatles on my own. In the meantime, I've come to love pre-war blues, country, avant-garde, psychedelia, baroque, folk, soul, rock/pop... And the fact I've found it all myself  makes me appreciate it even more.

Honestly, I do wish I had a more musical upbringing - starting in on instruments earlier and the like. It took me a while to actually find this blessed creation.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:46:26 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »

Okay but how much music that you discovered yourself was actually introduced to you by a friend? And what about that friends parents? Ripples meeting ripples meeting ripples making ripples making ripples....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »

Anyways my observation was merely general, according to my experience, not absolute.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

Okay but how much music that you discovered yourself was actually introduced to you by a friend?

None. I'm the one that introduces music to my friends, like Syd Barrett, Neil Young, the Beach Boys, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, XTC, the Kinks, Tom Waits, Todd Rundgren, Robert Johnson, Big Star, Harry Nilsson...

And I'm not lying to you to make a point. Maybe I'm just an exception to the rule.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:51:44 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »

In anything like the passing of culture/art, obviously there is no single, straightforward A-leads-to-B-leads-to-C that fits every situation. So just as it stands to reason that a diversely musical home could likely influence a child-then-adult to have more diverse musical tastes, that home may also turn the child-then-adult off from music. (Just as religion is most often passed through families as a cultural thing rather than an intellectual one, so too are many kids the religious opposites of their parents: I've got friends whose religion is a response to irreligious upbringings, just as much a rebellion as those who do the opposite.)

There is also the matter of whatever that innate musical sense might be that is the "nature" part of the old, famous "nature versus nurture" discussion (not to oversimplify the world). So if Bubbly Waves is a person inclined toward music--and in the world in which he grew up, it was [is] easily available to him to explore it--then the environmental drawbacks of his home are overcome or lessened.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »

Okay but how much music that you discovered yourself was actually introduced to you by a friend?

None. I'm the one that introduces music to my friends, like Syd Barrett, Neil Young, the Beach Boys, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, XTC, the Kinks, Tom Waits, Todd Rundgren, Robert Johnson, Big Star, Harry Nilsson...

And I'm not lying to you to make a point. Maybe I'm just an exception to the rule.

Same here, though not all artists are the same and it sometimes fails. Got a mate from Perth into the back catalogue of the Beach Boys, and he's surprised at how good and overlooked some of it are!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »

I'm impressed that a 7 year old knows about Camera Obscura and Daniel Johnston. When I was 7 I was still jamming out to Old McDonald Had a Farm.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »

I'm impressed that a 7 year old knows about Camera Obscura and Daniel Johnston. When I was 7 I was still jamming out to Old McDonald Had a Farm.

A 7-year-old usually knows what a 7-year-old is exposed to. I definitely was exposed to my parents' and siblings' pop music by age 7. I had no idea what was new versus old, cool versus lame, but I knew bits and pieces of it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »

See, I mainly listen to 70-90s these days, as does my wife, so I know that where she gets her love for the Beach Boys, ELO, Led Zeppelin, ect. I did notice however she does *not* like the pop stations;although she does like Katy Perry and a few other pop artists, when she goes on the music channels with our cable service, she generally listens to indie pop and such.

Funny story...she's the one who introduced me to Ladytron. She asked me 'do you like to listen to Ladytron', and I thought she was talking about the roxy music song, so I started singing it...and she gave me this look, and said 'what are you on about'? LOL She also digs The Bird and the Bee and Regina Spektor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: