gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:03:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still selling.....  (Read 3415 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:06:23 PM »

for the past 3 weeks "sounds of summer" has been back in the top  ten on the pop charts in billboard yet again. this week it is at #8. amazing.....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 07:18:38 PM »

i noticed The Beach Boys logo was featured pretty prominently in the background at the record store on last night's That 70s Show finale......

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »

Can you give a link?  I don't see the BB on any chart in the top 10....
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 08:48:52 PM »

http://billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=Top+Pop+Catalog

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:27:46 PM »

OK, Pop *catalog*, not pure pop.  "Catalog" means back albums, not current ones.  I am not surprised to see the BB there.  I would have been amazed to see them in the Top 10 pop albums at this late stage of that album's history (though I think it WAS top 20 at one point, wasn't it?).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 10:42:01 PM »

I think the rule now for Billboard is that after two years, and album can no longer appear on the pop chart and moves to the "catalog" chart. "Sounds of Summer" was released in 2003, so it belongs in the catalog chart.

Years ago, an album stayed on the pop chart as long as it sold well enough to be in the top 200, thus the famous instances of things like "Dark Side of the Moon" being "on the charts" for like 10,000 weeks or however long that was.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 03:37:25 AM »

I think the rule now for Billboard is that after two years, and album can no longer appear on the pop chart and moves to the "catalog" chart. "Sounds of Summer" was released in 2003, so it belongs in the catalog chart.

Years ago, an album stayed on the pop chart as long as it sold well enough to be in the top 200, thus the famous instances of things like "Dark Side of the Moon" being "on the charts" for like 10,000 weeks or however long that was.

correct..after 2 years it moves over to this chart.....

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 05:20:20 AM »

Right behind Beatles' "1".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 07:02:33 AM »

I guess the thousand copies a week I've been buying has finally paid off then.

It's hard going without food -- but for Sounds Of Summer -- I can handle it!

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 04:55:49 AM »

up to #2 (from #4) in this weeks issue. still doing very well......

SG7
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »

I would rather see SMiLE at #8 personally. It was nice when it was #10 when I first saw him  Grin
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »

well, in this week's issue of billboard SOS has climbed back to the #1 position once again on the pop catalog chart.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 11:52:27 AM »

I would rather see SMiLE at #8 personally. It was nice when it was #10 when I first saw him  Grin

I agree, but one would think that the sale of this comp would lead to other "serious" Beach Boys fans and ultimately affect the sale of something like Smile.  Someone out there has to be hearing "Heroes & Villains" for the first time and having their world and perception of the BBs rocked, enticing them into true discovery.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx