gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 05:02:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concert footage 72-74  (Read 3553 times)
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the board.  I have a question and hopefully some of you can provide me with an answer.

Is there any full concert footage of the Beach Boys performing between 1972 - 1974?  I know there is the video from a show in England of the band performing "Do It Again", "Wild Honey", and "Help Me, Rhonda".  I know there is a clip in the Endless Harmony documentary of the band performing "Sail On Sailor" live.  I would love to know if anyone has seen that full performance, at least of "Sail On Sailor", or if it even exists. 

Many thanks!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »

Welcome to the board!

Not sure if there exists any full concerts, and I know many uploaded concerts were deleted off of YouTube. There might still be something on there, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »

I would just love find a full live version of the band performing "Sail On Sailor" with Blondie.  It's my favorite Beach  Boys song.  All I've seen, like I mentioned in my original post, was the short clip in the Endless Harmony documentary.  I was just hoping that someone knew about some existing footage that I was unaware of.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »

I got some youtube footage from Atlanta with Ricky and Blondie and Dennis and Carl and Mike and Al. Of course its silent.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRSGAINXoB-rQeUR14UYWA

Cook pork throughly
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »

Yeah that's the problem is that almost all the footage from that period is silent, and in short bits...a minute here or there etc... Some of those bits can be matched up to live sound from the vaults since quite a few shows had the audio recorded, and that's what happened with the Sail On Sailor you mentioned. I think Ed Roach had filmed some great footage and Alan Boyd synched it with some period correct live sound, not sure if it was from the same show, but it certainly worked.

That said, I've heard legend of a tape or tapes of a full show from '73 that exists which was recorded (audio and video) on a venue house system, board sound with multi-camera angles...but I do not know if the tape is viable or could be successfully transferred to digital. Obviously this would be a Holy Grail kind of experience if it ever surfaced intact.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »

Yeah no kidding...I'd want that almost as much as clear audio of any of Brian's few early 70s concert appearances.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »

That said, I've heard legend of a tape or tapes of a full show from '73 that exists which was recorded (audio and video) on a venue house system, board sound with multi-camera angles...but I do not know if the tape is viable or could be successfully transferred to digital. Obviously this would be a Holy Grail kind of experience if it ever surfaced intact.

If true, that would be great!  I think the sound of the band during this period was amazing.  Not to say that they didn't always sound amazing.  This is just my favorite live era of the Beach Boys.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »

The '72 Crystal Palace gig likely included more songs as there is unaccompanied footage of Blondie playing bass and Ed playing guitar, yet the three songs broadcast show Blondie on guitar and Ed on bass.

What has always intrigued me is the New Year's Rockin' Eve 1974 footage which shows a line-up of guitars behind Carl, Al, Mike, and Jimmy Guercio which weren't featured in the Beach Boy's songs broadcast. These include a Gibson Ripper bass, Fender Strat, banjo, Gibson Firebird VII , and Carl's semi-hollowbody sunburst Epiphone 12-string (thanks to Christoph and guitarfool2002 for identifying these makes and models). This leads me to think that they performed more material than was originally broadcast.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

Wasn't the Carnegie (1972?) show filmed? Thought the potential package of that show includes full (or near-full) footage as well as audio. Only half the show's been booted and I thought I'd read that Mark Linett and Alan Boyd had worked this up for a potential but undetermined release.

There's a thread somewhere…

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »

Yup… thought so:

9/4/09

BEACH BOYS ARCHIVE INCLUDES LEGENDARY 1972 CARNEGIE HALL TAPES

by Howie Edelson

The Beatles aren't the only '60s icons preserving their legendary catalogue and vault; the Beach Boys' team is hard at work cataloging the thousands of tapes which make up their archive. The team -- chief archivist Alan Boyd and producer/engineer Mark Linett -- has recently collected all of the known elements of the band's unfinished 1967 album Smile, and have now uncovered the multi-tracks for the Beach Boys' two historic concerts at New York's Carnegie Hall on November 23rd, 1972.

For years, only half of one of the shows has been available in pristine stereo on the underground market. Boyd says that the band's company Brother Records is in possession of all of the multi-track masters of the shows, and is now collecting appropriate film and video footage which could be included on a potential project.

Elvis Costello saw the Beach Boys six months prior to the Carnegie Hall show in his then-hometown of Liverpool, and was amazed at how the band's current image and musicality transcended their iconic '60s image: "I saw the Beach Boys in Liverpool at the Liverpool Empire. That was a very different experience. They were in that... one of the periods, although Carl and Dennis (Wilson) were singing in the band, Brian (Wilson) wasn't with them, but the Surf's Up album and the beautiful Carl And The Passions album were out -- and Holland -- those records were out. Dennis sang an extraordinary version of "Cuddle Up" at that gig, which I'll never forget. That was an incredible thing to see; because although the main writer wasn't present, you realize that they had reclaimed themselves as a creative band away from the cliched idea of these guys that sing these car songs and dress in stripey shirts."

The songs performed by the Beach Boys at Carnegie Hall: "Sloop John B.," "You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone," "Leaving This Town," "Darlin'," "Only With You," "Heroes And Villains," "Long Promised Road," "Don't Worry Baby," "Student Demonstration Time," "I Get Around," "Marcella," "California Saga," "Help Me, Rhonda," "Medley: Wonderful/Don't Worry Bill," "God Only Knows," "Do It Again," "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "Wild Honey," "Good Vibrations," "Surfin' U.S.A," "Fun, Fun, Fun," and "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

The official members of the Beach Boys at the time were Dennis and Carl Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, and Ricky Fataar.

Alan Boyd says that his and Linett's primary public duties for the Beach Boys are locating the masters to the band's earlier work, and remixing them into modern stereo mixes for the band's numerous career-spanning compilations: "The fans and the public at large really seem to like these new stereo mixes, and that was really apparent when Mark did Pet Sounds in 1997. And the reaction to that is so strong that he started looking at other albums and other tracks, so every time we have the opportunity -- we did a lot of this on the Hawthorne record -- we've been going back and doing that, 'cause there's so much pressure brought to bear, y'know, in the market, for things to be in stereo."

Boyd and Linett -- both Grammy nominees -- have collaborated on such recent Beach Boys collections as Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, CA, Good Timin': Live At Knebworth England 1980, The Warmth Of The Sun, The Original U.S. Singles Collection The Capitol Years 1962-1965 box set, and the recently released Summer Love Songs.

Linett is also known for his work with Brian Wilson over the past two decades -- including the revamping of the entire Beach Boys' catalogue beginning in the late 1980's. Linett's work on 2004's Brian Wilson Presents Smile was nominated for a Grammy for Best Engineered Album (Non-Classical).

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »

An, reading that again a few years down the line, the footage may be incidental stuff. Hopefully we'll find out very soon.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »

In 2009, Alan Boyd mentioned that he wanted to assemble a 2 CD/DVD set of the Carnegie Hall 1972 concert. This would incorporate footage shot by Billy Hinsche in 1973 for the Project One documentary and audio performances of both of the November shows (Beard, 2009).

Perhaps they could include the entire '71 bathtub performance of THWFOS for good measure.

References

Beard, D. (2009). Summer Love Songs: A discussion with Alan Boyd & Mark Linett, Endless Summer Quarterly, 22(2), p. 19

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »

I hope something surfaces soon.  There are full or near full concerts available from pretty much every other Beach Boys era except this one, and Carl's last tour (at least not that I'm aware of).
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:15 AM »

The '72 Crystal Palace gig likely included more songs as there is unaccompanied footage of Blondie playing bass and Ed playing guitar, yet the three songs broadcast show Blondie on guitar and Ed on bass.

A couple of contemporaneous articles mention the following songs having been performed, along with the familiar three (Do It Again, Wild Honey, Help me Rhonda):
California Girls
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Get Around
There's A Riot Goin' On [sic]
Barbara Ann
Cottonfileds
and a selection from the Surf's Up album.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:23:28 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »

A couple of contemporaneous articles mention the following songs having been performed, along with the familiar three (Do It Again, Wild Honey, Help me Rhonda):
California Girls
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Get Around
There's A Riot Goin' On
Barbara Ann
Cottonfileds
and a selection from the Surf's Up album.

any info on that SU seelection?

Surf's Up live perhaps?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »

Apart from "Riot..." (which may have been performed as "Student Demonstration Time"), no other specific SU tracks are mentioned, though "Surf's Up" and "Long Promised Road" were in the setlist during this UK tour.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx