gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:52:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wanderlust Macca Tribute Preview on YouTube  (Read 19820 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 10:32:47 PM »

I can't stand Maccaman's version of this choon but Brianized I can't stop listening to it, mad or what?!

I relate.

Paul's version does nothing for me [(...)] but I'm loving the sound of Brian's take on it
3rded. Hearing 2 versions back to back, I realized that I like Brian's voice a great deal more than Paul's. And the backing track is just so much better than the original, it's an ear candy. I'm glad hearing only 30-sec. snippet, tho, I might get bored listening to it further.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »

If one actually likes this *song*, I can’t imagine *not* liking McCartney’s own original version. The excerpt of Brian’s version we’ve heard is not insanely altered in terms of arrangement. It’s in the same key. The only difference is that McCartney’s voice was about 100 times more versatile and youthful sounding than Brian sounds now (or McCartney these days too). I think it’s cool to hear Brian’s take, and he sounds okay on this new recording from what we’ve heard. But it’s typical latter-day Brian; kind of shouty. I do like that they kept it in the original key, and I like that Brian (or someone) picked one of the less obvious selections on this covers album. Just reading that Steve Miller is covering “Hey Jude” nearly makes me fall asleep.

In any event, for those unfamiliar with McCartney’s solo catalog, I would suggest seeking out the *original* version of “Wanderlust” from the 1982 “Tug of War” album, and not the re-record included on the 1984 “Give My Regards to Broad Street” soundtrack album, which sounds rather stiff and stilted in comparison.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »

Just reading that Steve Miller is covering “Hey Jude” nearly makes me fall asleep.

Yeah; that sounds horrible.  Maybe he'll step it up though and make it rock like his best stuff.  Or make it a waltz.  You never know!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 12:04:14 AM »

If one actually likes this *song*, I can’t imagine *not* liking McCartney’s own original version. [...] The only difference is that McCartney’s voice was about 100 times more versatile and youthful sounding than Brian sounds now (or McCartney these days too).
Tastes differ. I'll take shouty Brian over youthful versatility of Paul any day anytime. He's my favorite solo Beatle, but compared with Brian, he's far behind. And "Wanderlust" isn't even among his best material.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:46 AM »

If one actually likes this *song*, I can’t imagine *not* liking McCartney’s own original version. [...] The only difference is that McCartney’s voice was about 100 times more versatile and youthful sounding than Brian sounds now (or McCartney these days too).
Tastes differ. I'll take shouty Brian over youthful versatility of Paul any day anytime. He's my favorite solo Beatle, but compared with Brian, he's far behind. And "Wanderlust" isn't even among his best material.

I agree 100% with this post.

He may be a Beatle, but he'd have been nothing (or close to it) if it weren't for those other 3. Including that glasses wearing, Thomas The Tank Engine narrating drummer muthafucka.

No mas, por favor.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »

So, I'm listening to it now, and I like it. There are some nice piano parts, like the beginning, that I wonder if Brian played. Some nice brass in there, too.
So far, I'm not noticing any auto-tune on Brian. There's a lot of voices in the song, not just Brian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »

So, I'm listening to it now, and I like it. There are some nice piano parts, like the beginning, that I wonder if Brian played. Some nice brass in there, too.
So far, I'm not noticing any auto-tune on Brian. There's a lot of voices in the song, not just Brian.

Full song?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

Full song?

Yup, full song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B2nhYffSo8#t=1432
The song starts when the solo piano part starts. I think this is supposed to be some kind of secret stream, but oh well.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »

Thanks for the link!  Sounds good.  I have it pre-ordered and looking forward to having it in the collection.  My fave part is when Brian sings "Oh where did I go wrong my love" section.  He sings it very sweetly.  It gets a bit shouty in some other places, but it is a nice production.   

Does anyone remember that fake paul tribute that was being talked about during the imagination era that said Brian was going to cover Dear Boy.  I was really hoping that it was a real tribute as Dear Boy is one of my fave Paul tunes.  I'd love it if the beach boys had covered that in the early 1970's.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

Full song?

Yup, full song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B2nhYffSo8#t=1432
The song starts when the solo piano part starts. I think this is supposed to be some kind of secret stream, but oh well.

Very nice find, thanks for the link.

Have to say I'm loving Brian's take on this song, sounds fantastic.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »

I love Brian's voice on this.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »

That sounded amazing.  Especially at the ending.  Sounds leagues better than his voice on Our Special Love. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »

Brian is hitting some decent notes there!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »

All that being said, I think there's a good chance that Brian's vocal on this is up to a decade old.

Onetime McCartney producer Ralph Sall dreamt up the project in 2003 when he worked with the Beatle on reviving the song "A Love for You" from McCartney's sessions for the 1971 album, Ram, for the In-Laws soundtrack. It was then that Sall got the OK from McCartney to begin work on the tribute project and began recording songs with the singer's backing band – guitarists Rusty Anderson and Brian Ray, keyboardist Paul "Wix" Wickens and drummer Abe Laboriel, Jr. – and approaching performers to record the songs. The first to accept Sall's offer was Brian Wilson, who chose "Wanderlust" from McCartney's 1982 solo record, Tug of War.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-mccartney-tribute-comp-bob-dylan-kiss-cover-beatles-20140909#ixzz3Ijf8yUNg
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:51:21 PM by Wirestone » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 06:25:11 AM »

Well, however old it is, Brian sounds really good. I like the depth of the production as well.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 06:34:03 AM »

That....isn't entirely believable. ..maybe he re-recorded is vocal, or it's a typo and should've been 2013.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »

I don’t know if Brian’s track was cut in 2003. The article only mentions that Sall worked with McCartney in 2003 (which is correct; and I’m not sure how much if at all he has worked with McCartney since), then mentions he came up with the idea to do the album, and Brian was the first to accept. But Brian could have accepted in 2007, or 2010, or 2013.

I’m guessing the track could be at least several years old. Reports of this covers album have been going around for a couple of years now at least. I recall reading the reports of the Cure cutting a track with McCartney’s son at least a year or two ago. I think the “Kiss” track was reported quite awhile back too. Here’s a report from early 2012 about the album:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-tribute-album-cooper-kiss/

I’m thinking that if Brian was the first to sign on, and material had already been recorded by early 2012, Brian’s track may have been recorded in 2011 at the latest. Sall mentions in this 2012 article that he has worked on it for “more than two years” which would put the start of it back to late 2009 or early 2010.

My best guess is that Brian’s recording is from around 2009 or so, give or take a year (though he certainly could have done an overdub more recently; though I can't imagine his voice in 2013 or 2014 would be markedly stronger or better than five years ago).

I recall even longer ago there was a presumably faked tracklisting for a McCartney covers album that suggested Brian would cover “Dear Boy.” This was reported to be a fake listing, but I always wondered if it was more like some producer compiling a “wish list” of artists and songs. I wonder if perhaps Sall’s original idea was for Brian to cover that song.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:50:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »

Now let's have a double album tribute to Brian with artists of this calibre (or better...)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »

Now let's have a double album tribute to Brian with artists of this calibre (or better...)

To be better, Brian would have to do all the tributes himself

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »

Brian did a fine job for his friend and he was a good choice to cover this song (though I too love to muse on the idea of Smile era Brian covering the future Dear Boy). Wanderlust is more or less in his wheelhouse, and the chorus and harmonies are stunning. Half-iistening to this whole album from kitchen while making coffee, one indelible tune arriving after another, it is simply stunning what a seemingly endless fount of melody McCartney's very being is. They seem to come to him like the very air itself - and we now live in a culture that has completely lost its way around vertical melodies in a time of mostly horizontals and rhythm. Short, enforceable hooks by din of endless repetition, not developed melodies.

I am very grateful to have lived during the era of these two devoted giants of music. Which means the album of covers has essentially done its job, however flawed many of the covers are compared to the originals.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

Listen to the full album stream here:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/11/the-art-of-mccartney-album-stream
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »

I get shivers when Brian sings "help us to to be free",  he sounds powerful.

I think I hear Taylor Mills in the mix somewhere.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »

What are the lyrics to Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey all about?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »

here's a new Rolling Stone article on the release: 

http://tinyurl.com/kt4fhy4

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »

A very nice track and version of the song. Brian's in fine fettle. Something about the triumphant arrangement and production remind me of What I Really Want For Christmas. Just an observation, not saying the track dates from that period.

Listening to Brian, at a guess his lead vocal was done in the last 2-3 years, ie. a better enunciated lead than he often did between Imagination and TLOS.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx