gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:01:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Al show in CA this Saturday - Special Ticket Offer  (Read 18339 times)
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »

God Only Knows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37Oucjcrzk

Ike sounds pretty good on the tag.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »

Here's Pet Sounds too: http://youtu.be/iD5kyr6QrVE
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

Terrible clip of GOK's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37Oucjcrzk

Pet Sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5kyr6QrVE

....oops! Snap.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:51:15 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »

Brian sounds great, and much better than previously this year...much MUCH better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »

WIBN, don't get excited by the title though, Brian isn't on lead vocal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bz0GL7PZCY&list=UUi2g1EsN6BcD4nh0o-brJWA
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »

Given that the blurb from the venue stated that Brian would be performing songs from his latest and upcoming albums, anyone considering action because he didn't ?  Grin

I thought they played Run James, Run…

No real surprises here......except for "Girl Don't Tell Me" and the "Pet Sounds" instrumental:

1. California Girls 
2. Dance, Dance, Dance 
3. Catch a Wave 
4. Hawaii 
5. Shut Down 
6. Little Deuce Coupe 
7. Girl Don't Tell Me 
8. Cotton Fields 
9. In My Room 
10. Surfer Girl 
11. Please Let Me Wonder 
12. Then He Kissed Her 
13. Heroes and Villains 
14. Darlin' 
15. Do You Wanna Dance? 
16. Don't Worry Baby 
17. Do It Again 
18. Marcella 
19. Sail On, Sailor 
20. Pet Sounds 
21. Wouldn't It Be Nice 
22. Sloop John B 
23. God Only Knows 
24. Good Vibrations 

Encore:

25. All Summer Long 
26. Help Me, Rhonda 
27. I Get Around 
28. Barbara Ann 
29. Surfin' U.S.A. 
30. Fun, Fun, Fun 

“We live in divisive times.”
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

WIBN, don't get excited by the title though, Brian isn't on lead vocal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bz0GL7PZCY&list=UUi2g1EsN6BcD4nh0o-brJWA

New Brian (Ike) on lead vocal. Sounds pretty good.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »

Scotty B on lead for Sail On Sailor:

http://youtu.be/mtNkiGCH6pY

It's cool seeing Darian and Scott up front with Brian, Al and Paul. It's well deserved for both guys.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:24:39 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »

Given that the blurb from the venue stated that Brian would be performing songs from his latest and upcoming albums, anyone considering action because he didn't ?  Grin
I would sue M&B just to prevent them from playing Pisces Brothers since its a horrible ML solo track.

At least in that song he isn't singing about living in a palace, drinking from a chalice.
And it's good to know he keeps his pictures on the wall of his hall, rather than on the floor by the door

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

Ike sounds great... I think with some more rehearsal to get the blend 100% down he might be the best "Brian Wilson replacement" on the high parts we've had.

Judging from his other work, he could do Carl's leads justice as well
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »

I was at this concert as well, and I have to second everything that Jon Stebbins previously said.  What struck me the most was the sheer energy of this band.  Sure, the setlist wasn't too adventurous, but the group seemed to be having so much fun just bashing out the hits.  This concert was at a winery, and after all it was probably smart to cater to the casual fan/winery crowd type.  Brian was definitely playing the "MC" role throughout the show and doing it quite well.  He sat at the piano nearly the entire time, but he still came off as engaged, sincere, and just...well, Brian being himself.

There was this younger gentleman near us in the audience.  He stood practically the entire concert, dancing the entire time, even when nobody else was dancing.  I was about to write him off as some annoying dude, but then I took a closer look at what he was doing.  He wasn't just dancing, he was apparently trying to conduct the entire band from his seat, giving cues at certain points in each song to different musicians, due to his sheer familiarity with each song.  I realized this guy was completely and totally under the influence of pure joy- the joy of Brian Wilson's music.  I then understood.  I just felt kinda sorry for the people sitting behind him, that's all. 
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »

I was at this concert as well, and I have to second everything that Jon Stebbins previously said.  What struck me the most was the sheer energy of this band.  Sure, the setlist wasn't too adventurous, but the group seemed to be having so much fun just bashing out the hits.  This concert was at a winery, and after all it was probably smart to cater to the casual fan/winery crowd type.  Brian was definitely playing the "MC" role throughout the show and doing it quite well.  He sat at the piano nearly the entire time, but he still came off as engaged, sincere, and just...well, Brian being himself.

There was this younger gentleman near us in the audience.  He stood practically the entire concert, dancing the entire time, even when nobody else was dancing.  I was about to write him off as some annoying dude, but then I took a closer look at what he was doing.  He wasn't just dancing, he was apparently trying to conduct the entire band from his seat, giving cues at certain points in each song to different musicians, due to his sheer familiarity with each song.  I realized this guy was completely and totally under the influence of pure joy- the joy of Brian Wilson's music.  I then understood.  I just felt kinda sorry for the people sitting behind him, that's all. 
I was impressed with the age and style diversity of the crowd. Glad you saw it too, it was a unique show energy-wise.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »

Awesome report, Shane: Thanks for posting and sharing! Great story about the fan conducting.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »

Wouldn`t it be Nice sounded ok but I can`t help thinking Brian or Al should be singing this one.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:32:12 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2014, 05:36:34 AM »

Brian sounding good on My Sweet Lord last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evVTvTrcXCo

(apologies if this is posted elsewhere)
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »

Other than losing it a little towards the end (which lets be honest, that song goes on about 2 minutes too long), I thought he sounded much stronger vocally than he has in awhile. Seemed like there was a bit more "oomph" to his delivery than there has been recently.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »

Wouldn`t it be Nice sounded ok but I can`t help thinking Brian or Al should be singing this one.

I definitely have liked the versions Brian’s band or the C50 band have done with Al or Foskett on the lead vocal (or Matt or the other recent falsetto guys). When Brian has done it on his solo tours, they drop the key way down. But when Al or Jeff have sung it, they bring it back up to the original key in which the touring BB’s performed it going back decades, which I think is just a half-step lower than the original recording. When they drop the key a lot lower, it ends up sounding more lethargic to me.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2014, 07:21:25 AM »

Other than losing it a little towards the end (which lets be honest, that song goes on about 2 minutes too long), I thought he sounded much stronger vocally than he has in awhile. Seemed like there was a bit more "oomph" to his delivery than there has been recently.

Thanks for posting that! I agree, there were many lines of that tune where Brian sounds like he's really belting out those phrases! Strong vocals, for sure. I enjoyed that! Sometimes the point in these shows where everyone gets on stage together can turn a bit chaotic, but given the nature of the original production, it actually works here.

It's also great to hear Brian sing a cover song which is outside the usual scope of his live setlists and appearances, that was a treat to hear a song so familiar sung by Brian.

Thanks for posting that link, very enjoyable.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »

Something humorous to add about that clip of My Sweet Lord: Listen for someone accidentally kicking or bumping either a guitar amp or even an old Fender spring reverb tank several times during the performance, and creating that thunder-crash sound effect that only kicking or bumping a spring reverb tank can create. Shades of "Diamond Head"! Definitely not a planned part of that performance, but it would have been perfect if they had decided to play Diamond Head.  Grin

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »

Here's a clip of Little Deuce Coupe & Girl Don't Tell Me

Diggin Brian E's falsetto. If that's even falsetto? Sounds like he's hitting the notes in full voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3aAqWaKkxU
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »

'Girl Don't Tell Me' was nice while it lasted........Brian had to ask Mertens what key it was in but I think Brian just wanted to see if he knew! Nice touch.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

Ahhh...wanna hear more of Girl Don't Tell me!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »

Yeah, Brian was sounding on point!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2014, 02:41:41 AM »

Brian sounding real good and seeming to be 'in the zone'. Looking forward to see/hear more of this BW 2014 model.

"What key? What key? Mertens!! What key?" LOL
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:43:48 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Gohi
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2014, 05:43:15 AM »

When I saw Brian do "Girl Don't Tell Me" in Iowa in 2013, it was a magical moment. He sounded great. Glad to see it brought back.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx